KarenBravo

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No one here's smart enough to track anyone down:p

How's the weather in Chumphae? Or haven't you got back yet... Still in Croydon?

I'm out the front of your place, let's go have a few beers:D

Welcome mate...

Except I'm not home, but thanks for the head's up on who to look for if I get home and find my cat nailed to the door... biggrin.png

I don't believe it is a good idea to use your real name.

I have had one threat in my PM by a supposed good poster.

As for all the talk about tracking by IPs don't they have a tech form for that?

Heck I haven't a clue what they are talking about. I was told that if I change my cookies every so often it would be hard to track me.

Yes you can learn a lot about a poster by reading all his posts. We have one here who is as phoney as a 7 baht coin. But you would have to read all his posts to spot the discrepencies. The problem with that is that when he does post valid information it makes it hard to take serious.

No it is not the same poster who threatened me.

Right, that's it. This is getting freaky now.

So much for an anonymous forum huh. Members hacking it and publishing locations. Not that I'm worried as such, just makes it a bit of a mockery

Mods time to close it down.

Whoa... Slow down there Bruce... Dial down the tinfoil hat a notch... Ixnay with the 'hacking' talk... tongue.png

For the sake of clarity, I must say that there's been absolutely 100% no hacking involved, and nothing 'published' that couldn't be found by anybody in 2 minutes using google (i.e. already 'published' by the users themselves). Merely a demonstration of how anonymous people aren't.

Get a better grip on yourself. You are one of those typical nerds who can not conceive of the reality. Most of the talk you and never sure have been on about is way out of my league. How do you google some one. I typed my real name into google and there was a lot of us there but I wasn't one.

Now some thing tells me that I am not alone in this lack of knowledge on computer skills. I have no problem admitting I am tech challenged and had to work very hard to learn what little skill I have with a very good teacher.

I know of no way for NAT to parse the same IP into different physical nodes. It still needs a unique routable IP. leaving the LAN.

Ummm... wut?

Parsing one (routable) ip to many (non-routable) ip's is the very purpose of nat... There are probably hundreds of other 10.x.x.x users behind my current external ip.

No, there are other 10.x.x.x users (your nodes) INSIDE your local network.

Now, if you are saying that other users of the same ISP also use 10.x.x.x. INSIDE their LAN's, then I agree. But those IP's aren't routable nor can they be shared as the same IP on the internet.

Edit. Maybe we are saying the same thing using different wording.

Errr... Where to start...

Yes and no - yes we appear to be talking about almost the same thing but, well, no. smile.png

Yes, I'm saying that the same ISP uses 10.x.x.x for their customer WAN. But I'm not using 10.x.x.x 'inside' my LAN. Meaning many of us (on e.g. CAT) are on the same 10.x.x.x/8 private address range WAN even though we're not on the same LAN. Where you're falling apart is "But those IP's aren't routable nor can they be shared as the same IP on the internet" which again, is the entire purpose of NAT - to use a single, public IP address to service the many private IP addresses assigned to their customers.

Welcome mate...

Except I'm not home, but thanks for the head's up on who to look for if I get home and find my cat nailed to the door... biggrin.png

Funny posts. But we all have to be careful what we put on the internet and what we chuck in the waste bin, i watched a TV several years ago what can happen if you are careless..

They went to a airport and picked up from the ground a stub of a boarding pass from the info on the stub they got Name and Address,How the ticket was paid. E-mail address etc of course this was done as a demonstration to show what can be done and they informed the passenger who had discarded it in the first place.

NeverSure - Viewing Profile: Likes - Thailand Forum ... - ThaiVisa.com
www.thaivisa.com/forum/user/164212-neversure/?tab...forums...‎
Oct 14, 2012 – Thailand Forum; → Viewing Profile: Likes: NeverSure. View New Content... rice rats for dinner. So, is his nickname "The Catcher in the Rai"? :)...

Not that it helps but Google does have access to all sorts of data.....

K B, looks like nobody have posted with their real name.

If all would use their real name and stand for what they post and not hiding, the posts would be a lot more realistic and not just spur of the moment, posted 2am after a night in the pub.

Why would anybody stalk you for using your real name? Or for what you post? Unless it is insulting and damaging to somebody on the forum, but then a post like that should not be posted in the first place.

I am member of another forum with NO moderators and things can get out on a tanget from time to time, BUT the one and only rule is you post with your real name.

Looks like I am the only one using my real name..

It is very, very dangerous if you post under your real name.

Facebook already convinced people to do so... That's why i don't have an acount.

Dancealot...I always thought that WAS your real name....giggle.gif

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

Facebook already convinced people to do so... That's why i don't have an acount.

Dancealot...I always thought that WAS your real name....giggle.gif

His real name is Lancelot so be careful.

post-41816-0-03503500-1367826169_thumb.j

whistling.gif ............smile.png

• Like 1

K B, looks like nobody have posted with their real name.

If all would use their real name and stand for what they post and not hiding, the posts would be a lot more realistic and not just spur of the moment, posted 2am after a night in the pub.

Why would anybody stalk you for using your real name? Or for what you post? Unless it is insulting and damaging to somebody on the forum, but then a post like that should not be posted in the first place.

I am member of another forum with NO moderators and things can get out on a tanget from time to time, BUT the one and only rule is you post with your real name.

Looks like I am the only one using my real name..

That is so sweet...and naïve.

wink.png

Wow.

That sounds pretty boring.

(To be clear: I do stand for what I post and virtually never go to pubs or post after 2AM - but thankfully there enough people who are not like me as to be interesting and/or have fun with.)

Edited by SteeleJoe

If all would use their real name and stand for what they post and not hiding, the posts would be a lot more realistic and not just spur of the moment, posted 2am after a night in the pub...

Wow.

(To be clear: I do stand for what I post and virtually never go to pubs or post after 2AM - but thankfully there enough people who are not like me as to be interesting and/or have fun with.)

Excuse me.

I did NOT write that.

you edited my post?

Edited by Travel2003

If all would use their real name and stand for what they post and not hiding, the posts would be a lot more realistic and not just spur of the moment, posted 2am after a night in the pub...

Wow.

Excuse me.

I did NOT write that.

you edited my post?

No, excuse ME.

It is a software problem with the quote function - perhaps you've heard? I tried to correct for it and messed it up worse.

Wow.

Excuse me.

I did NOT write that.

you edited my post?

No, excuse ME.

It is a software problem with the quote function - perhaps you've heard? I tried to correct for it and messed it up worse.

ok, sorry for my outburst.

At least we managed to get away from all the IP talk.

smile.png

Dancealot, on 05 May 2013 - 15:49, said:

Keep it that way. FB is a very dangerous place. They were busted for selling peoples info's to the hackers. Then were sued and lost and required to make restitutiion. $10 to everyone, they sold out. The catch, too many people applying for the reimbursement and no one gets anything and FB is free to walk away millions richer. Both myself and my wife were sold out by FB and had much work to do recovering our lives. I will never use my real name again in any situation on the internet.

Wow.

Excuse me.

I did NOT write that.

you edited my post?

No, excuse ME.

Yes it is a problem, especially for a PC numnut like me. sad.png ............smile.png

Ive been on message boards long enough to know that its incredibly naive to think that there arent total complete nutters out there willing to track you down and petition your employers to fire you because of some innocuous and decotextualised comment that they've trawled through for days to find in your posting history... because you once showed they were wrong in a stupid argument that no one remembers or even cares about ten minutes after its finished.

Then again, having an account under your name doesnt mean you cant have 100 other accounts for trolling or saying what you really think about regarding other more controversial issues.

Not sure if I can mention the name here, but, there is an online news site, Phuket Wan, whose editor calls you a coward and a few other words, if you do not use your name, the funny thing is, he even says this even AFTER he has banned you, meaning even with another email account, you can no longer use your name...go figure, the guy is a nutter.

Name or no name is irrelevant.

I can track your location (within a few houses) within a matter of minutes using readily available freeware and your IP.

If had 1 satang for each time I've read similar things "I can get your IP address and track you down", I'd be filthy rich.

The truth is that if I wanted to track someone down the process is pretty straight forward, but it doesn't include tracing someone by acquiring their IP address unless you have seriously good connection within the ISP.

This is also the reason why it's always a good idea to be restrictive with regards to posting on a public forum, and using you real name is typically a bad idea. There are several nasty stories that can bare witness about this...

Due to using a real name, and then over time making statements about himself, I tracked a guy down to his home and his place of employment but it had nothing to do with his IP. First he used his real name. At some point he said he was a sheriff's deputy. At some point he said he was in Arizona. At another time he mentioned the real estate market in his town.

The idiot made the mistake of threatening me physically (typical self important cop) and I got him fired by keeping records of his posts.

He had/has no idea who I really am.

But it was all social tracking, not IT tracking.

Really? That's a classic NS. Tell us more!

There's nothing more to tell. The guy found out from a friend I had on the forum what my real name and address was, and he threatened me. I felt danger and wanted to know where he was. I also wanted to teach him a lesson to not mess with me.

He had claimed to be a sheriff's deputy, and later he posted his town. A sheriff covers a whole county in a state. When I went to the county's web site to see who to contact, I learned that he was actually the website admin, and not a deputy sheriff at all. He was just a braggart. His real name was right there.

After sending the county administrator links to his threatening posts, and threatening to sue the county since he was threatening from work making the county liable, I got an email from the county telling me he was no longer employed there.

These two sentences seem to contradict each other..or is it all BS ?

Edited by metisdead
30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

I can track your location (within a few houses) within a matter of minutes using readily available freeware and your IP.

If you live in a condo complex it may take a little more time to identify you...but, if you live in a street, and your neighbors either side are Thais...I got you sucker...

Wh..wh...what did I do? blink.png

It's obvious to anyone that there are 'multiple personalities', on this forum some even have conversations between themselves and probably like each others posts too. biggrin.png

For some reason, this seems so much worse than talking to yourself. Certified nutters. blink.png

Welcome mate...

Except I'm not home, but thanks for the head's up on who to look for if I get home and find my cat nailed to the door...

I'm more likely to boil your pet rabbit on your stove:D...BTW, back in Croydon and goin Chumphae in a couple weeks...ya smartarse!:lol: Edited by krisb

I think TV.com and Facebook are two different media entirely.

First of all, you have a choice (to a large extent) of those who will read your posts in Facebook, and there are limits as to whose Timeline you can post on (i.e., you need to 'Friend' someone before you can post on their Timeline, and they always have the option of refusing). Furthermore, the posts that people make generally tend to be about their daily life, as opposed to taking a stance on a major contemporary issue.

TV.com, on the other hand, does of course stir up emotions on racial, sexual, political and religious grounds, and some posters obviously get really wound up about some pretty minor issues. Some choose to jump all over the most innocuous comments; for what reason? I don't know! Perhaps that's just the way they are in real life, or maybe they take on Jekyll and Hyde persona when they are posting; however, I tend to agree with other commentators that to provide your real name on TV.com could lead to some "nutter" seeking you out...!

Better to take on a name like George Orwell, like I did, but then you won't be aware of that because I shortened it to GeorgeO ... Oh dammit I just gave myself away...!

Edited by GeorgeO

Would never use my real name on the internet. I purposly chose a screen name that is so common that searching for it is a waste of time.

I did try using Google, facebook, Etc.Etc searching for my real name, no results whatsoever.

I'm happy with that.

I've never been able to find myself with Google either. I'm pleased and yet it demonstrates how insignificant I am to the world at large - even more so than the millions of insignificant folks that can be found...

It's an existential crisis! If I am not on Google, do I really exist?

Try falling over in a forest and see if anybody hears you.

If I argue with an imaginary woman in a forest and no one hears me, am I still wrong?

T

Right, that's it. This is getting freaky now.

So much for an anonymous forum huh. Members hacking it and publishing locations. Not that I'm worried as such, just makes it a bit of a mockery

Mods time to close it down.

Whoa... Slow down there Bruce... Dial down the tinfoil hat a notch... Ixnay with the 'hacking' talk... tongue.png

For the sake of clarity, I must say that there's been absolutely 100% no hacking involved, and nothing 'published' that couldn't be found by anybody in 2 minutes using google (i.e. already 'published' by the users themselves). Merely a demonstration of how anonymous people aren't.

Get a better grip on yourself. You are one of those typical nerds who can not conceive of the reality. Most of the talk you and never sure have been on about is way out of my league. How do you google some one. I typed my real name into google and there was a lot of us there but I wasn't one.

Now some thing tells me that I am not alone in this lack of knowledge on computer skills. I have no problem admitting I am tech challenged and had to work very hard to learn what little skill I have with a very good teacher.

Oh, <deleted>. You're telling me to get a grip of myself, then asking how to use Google?

Yes, I'm a card carrying nerd, but I'm completely in touch with reality. There is absolutely no shame in being tech challenged. I also find many things challenging but I don't go round insulting people who don't.

Fwiw your name appears to be J.S. Took 15 seconds. No hacking, just google.

Would never use my real name on the internet. I purposly chose a screen name that is so common that searching for it is a waste of time.

I did try using Google, facebook, Etc.Etc searching for my real name, no results whatsoever.

I'm happy with that.

I've never been able to find myself with Google either. I'm pleased and yet it demonstrates how insignificant I am to the world at large - even more so than the millions of insignificant folks that can be found...

It's an existential crisis! If I am not on Google, do I really exist?

Try falling over in a forest and see if anybody hears you.

If I argue with an imaginary woman in a forest and no one hears me, am I still wrong?

T

Not wrong but certainly a masochist! cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Name or no name is irrelevant.

If you live in a condo complex it may take a little more time to identify you...but, if you live in a street, and your neighbors either side are Thais...I got you sucker...

Lol. Somebody's been watching too much CSI

I'll save you the trouble of h4ck1ng (sic) me to find out my current IP. It's 192.168.1.33. Have at it.

(Before you make a fool of yourself demonstrating your mad 1337 skillz by posting my current GPS location, I should mention that I already know those could likely be found in under a minute, because I choose not to hide)

Not that it matters but 192.168.*.* is a reserved IP range for networks. So 192.168.1.33 is not your IP address.

Everyone's router is a 192.168 number and your computer will have a 192.168 number on the network (between the computer and the router).

If you want to know your actual "outside world" IP address then visit a site such as http://show-my-ip.com/

Once you have the real IP address then go to this site - http://www.tcpiputils.com/browse/ip-address/ and enter it into the search box.

I tried:

If you want to know your actual "outside world" IP address then visit a site such as http://show-my-ip.com/

Once you have the real IP address then go to this site - http://www.tcpiputil...wse/ip-address/ and enter it into the search box.

Told me I was in TOT's office in Khon Kaen.

But I'm not.

No of course you are not. Nor am I at the offices of Triple T internet in Chaengwattana. Not even close :-)

But I wanted people to see for themselves that tracing an IP isn't as simple as TV and movies make out. Yes it can be done by professionals with access to certain tools, but the IP needs to be static (mostly) and usually things like a court order are required.

Hopefully some people found the info interesting (if not useful)

• Like 1