Gold Shop Wrongly Hit My Debit Card For 16K.

I wasnt sure where to post this, I hope I am in the right place.

It is not a huge deal and I am not losing sleep over it, but I have a slight issue with the local gold shop. I brought 162K worth of gold last week, taking advantage of the low .rate of 20K baht. I noticed on my on-line banking they had taken the 162,000 baht but also made a second transaction of 16,000 baht. I went back to the shop and they said they made a mistake, missing out one digit of the transaction, and made a second transaction for the correct amount.

Im not gulible but as stupid as that explenation sounds, I believe them. The husband made the first transaction, ballsed it up, and then the wife who is more switched on took over.

Anyway, I told them about it, they said they would cancell it. Its been almost a week and nothing is showing as reimbursed on my account. I just went into the shop again today and they gave me such a convoluted story, I almost cant get my head around it. Apparently they have to wait for the local bank to "send" money to the "big bank" in Bangkok and then the transaction is revesred. They gave me a signed and stamped hand writted document that explained the whole situation and gave it to me as "proof".

Apparently I now have to wait up to 2 weeks for the money to go back into my account.

So what gives here? A total cock and bull story? Or just the usual incompetance? Should I maybe just call my bank (U.S) and ask them to cancell the 16K? Can they? Or should I wait?

On a side note, pretty much every time I enter into some kind of transaction involving money with Thai Chinese it back fires. In my 10 years here, i truly have learnt to see them as bunch of scavengers who will do anything and everything to keep your money. Sorry for the little rant.

Why don't you contact your bank and instruct them to reverse the transaction? Then it's up to the merchant signing bank to get their money back from the merchant, and it's not your problem.

Edited by Chicog

Here in Thailand I kinda believe it.

My gf wanted a statement from the bank for a mortgage. Branch could not do it had to come from head office took 5 days :huh:

Also don't forget it's an international transaction. You used your US card.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Edited by thaicbr

Sounds plausible for here,but if they ballsed it up for 16,000 first time around why not make the second payment for 146,000 to make the correct total of 162,000.

Sorry that would have been common sense.

Edited by stoneyboy

I would bet they did it on purpose, to see if they could get away with it. Otherwise they would have said something at the time, and as another poster said, made the second transaction for 146k. I don't trust any of them, particularly the chinese. I always check my change, and have frequently found mistakes, though always short, never too much..!

• Like 2

Call your bank immediately & report it. You will immediate credit on your account while they investigate. In the end, the shop's paperwork will come through & all will balance out, but you need to work the problem both ends at once.

• Like 2

Some people in Thailand dealing with money, e. g. in banks, are quite ignorant and stupid. Recently I went to Kasikorn Bank in Khon Kaen for changing US$ TC into THB. I presented my Swiss passport and a 500$ TC, service quite fast. When I got the money, I checked the receipt. She gave the money for 500 CHF, instead of 500 US$, which is about 10% more. Honest as I am I told her that she made a mistake, because I knew that she will have to pay personally for her mistake. She was very very thankful.

In another bank, I was asked where is Swaziland. I told her that I am not from Swaziland, but from Switzerland.

In a 3rd bank, they needed 1 1/2 hours to change my TC (Siam CB in Khon Kaen).

I have a few times had a wrong charge on an international debit and credit Visa card in Thailand when paying for something. The shops did not have any problems reversing the wrong charge on their terminal.

So if they are telling you a long story they are probably trying to scam you. Did you sign the slip for 16000 baht?

If you did business with who you have a dispute with I think the card issuer investigates before returning funds. I had an extra 60 euros taken off my card from a Sicilian office for a Rome rental car company, and thought ah here we go some dodgey mafia types trick. Reported it and no refund just told they will investigate because i did have s link with the business already so its not a clear cut theft of details. So it turned out I actually got a speeding ticket and in the contract it can be cut from my card whenever it comes through. I got a copy of highlighted contract and the ticket with vover letter explaining on the post.

But another time on my bank I see someone has purchased computers with my card and I know 100% its not me, then they did refund immediately.

I expect in your case they will ask the vendor to see proof / signed amount. So it should straitened out in time but you should definately report it.

Every gold shop I've been to the charge is 2.5 or 3% to pay with a card. Not you?

This situation is why you should not use a Debit card but a Credit card

If you had you would be using the credit card issuers money while this was being resolved

Really makes no difference at the end of the day:

Debit Card:

- You contest the charges

- If you win you keep your money

- If you lose you lose your money

Credit Card:

- If you win you don't have to pay the money

- If you lose you do have to pay the money

Unless of course you just don't pay the credit card bill, in which case you still get debt collector looking for you, your credit is ruin and you can't borrow again (not really an option over 16K)

Gold shops here actually accept Credit cards...?

How do they not get hit up with a crap load of stolen cards?

I've used a credit card numerous times to buy gold, but always in a reputable gold shop. Never had any problems, except the 2.5% credit charge fee.

Card refunds can sometimes take weeks

If the shop have given you a signed and stamped letter then they sound honest enough to me, why would they give you that if they were trying to scam you? If you don't get your cash back then you have proof to show your Bank and the Police if needed

Edited by darrendsd

I think you should wait, as it sounds entirely plausible to me. I've had reversals like this in the UK that took ages to get back to my card, so getting from Thailand to overseas is bound to take longer. But how come they didn't mention it at the time of the transaction? Did you see the two transactions at the time? Did you see them cancel the first one. Just wondering how they did this without you noticing, and without your card. I'm a little confused as to what actually happened, and where you were when all this happened. Did you sign two transactions or only one?

First, of all, I wouldn't use that gold shop again. Why? Because your story makes it appear they didn't even try to cancel the known made 16K charge until you brought it to their attention...maybe the gold shop guy thought at the time, Let's just wait and see if the customer notices it and comes back to us.

But I will have to say that over the years when a charge/refund needs to occur that is can take one to two weeks for the refund to hit your account even thought the initial charge hit your account in seconds. Heck, it took Wal-Mart around 3 weeks to refund/credit my credit card via PayPal for an online order they cancelled due to be out of stock...and they cancelled it the day after the order but messed up on the first refund attempt which was supposed to be completed within 10 business days and then had to do it again with the same 10 business day window. And it I hadn't called them back saying where the refund was it sure appeared they wouldn't have known the refund hadn't rejected...they confirmed during the call their system showed a refund reject. I don't order online with Wal-Mart anymore due to the way they handled the transaction. I can also vaguely remember other cases over the years where refunds to credit/debit cards always seemed to takes days to weeks even though the initial charge occurred immediately.

Too bad the gold shop just didn't settle quickly by handing you 16K baht in cash as gold shops have money come out of their ears on a daily basis in buying and selling gold. Maybe something got confused in the communications process between you and them, and they did immediately process a cancellation on the 16K amount, didn't make it clear to you they did immediately accomplish the cancellation, and for them to just hand you 16K in cash would put them 16K in hole since the cancellation is still processing through the system. But keep the heat on the gold shop to track down the status of the refund.

Sounds plausible for here,but if they ballsed it up for 16,000 first time around why not make the second payment for 146,000 to make the correct total of 162,000.

Sorry that would have been common sense.

Common sense ........... good one! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

If you did business with who you have a dispute with I think the card issuer investigates before returning funds. I had an extra 60 euros taken off my card from a Sicilian office for a Rome rental car company, and thought ah here we go some dodgey mafia types trick. Reported it and no refund just told they will investigate because i did have s link with the business already so its not a clear cut theft of details. So it turned out I actually got a speeding ticket and in the contract it can be cut from my card whenever it comes through. I got a copy of highlighted contract and the ticket with vover letter explaining on the post.

But another time on my bank I see someone has purchased computers with my card and I know 100% its not me, then they did refund immediately.

I expect in your case they will ask the vendor to see proof / signed amount. So it should straitened out in time but you should definately report it.

Every gold shop I've been to the charge is 2.5 or 3% to pay with a card. Not you?

It's the fact that it was a car rental company. They all have clauses in your rental agreement that allows them to charge any fines or damage to the card you used to book with. Banks are used to people getting "surprises" from car hire firms. Many don't bother advising, charge you, and include a surcharge for their hard work.

What type of shop was this - in a mall, small etc. They may well have not been used to the card payment machine and cocked it up. But, didn't you check before authorising? Seem likely you'll get the money back - but after some wait.

If you had you would be using the credit card issuers money while this was being resolved

Debit Card:

Credit Card:

Unless of course you just don't pay the credit card bill, in which case you still get debt collector looking for you, your credit is ruin and you can't borrow again (not really an option over 16K)

Debit card you loose the money instantly, since it is debited from your account

Credit card you loose the money never, since you dispute the bill before you pay it

BIG DIFFERENCE

Debit Card:

Credit Card:

Debit card you loose the money instantly, since it is debited from your account

Credit card you loose the money never, since you dispute the bill before you pay it

BIG DIFFERENCE

But if you used your debit card, you just then your credit card to buy the things that you would have used the available debit card money for...Either way you are going to have to pay the credit card bill eventually, or default on it.