Singkhorn - New Myanmar Border Crossing for Thai Nationals Only Opens May 8, 2013

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't read all the comments so i'm not sure if this has been confirmed...

But I just got back from my Visa run in kanchanaburi

The taxi (we paid 1200 bath for the 2 of us...but you can probably get it cheaper) took about an hour to get to the border

There a thai official took our passport to the burma side and returned with 2 new fresh stamps

After filling in the usual arriving in thailand folder i got my 15(Different for every country) new days

It cost me 700 bath at the border, i think it should be 500 but arguing with the guy didn't help a lot so i just payed

So yes, a visa run at kanchanaburi is definitely possible. And it's easy as f...

Just to be crystal clear given your previous confusion about where you crossed.....

Who did you pay the 700 baht to exactly? A Burmese Immigration Officer???

The normal charge at all other designated Burmese Land Crossings (ie. Rayong/Victoria Point, Mae Sot/Mywaddy & Mae Sai/Tcheilek) is officially US$10 (310-320 baht) or they ask for 500 baht at a patently bad exchange rate. (Obviously the US$ is the preferred currency with which to pay).

Thus, unless this charge has recently increased (??), you were paying more than twice the official rate.

The taxi (we paid 1200 bath for the 2 of us...but you can probably get it cheaper) took about an hour to get to the border

There a thai official took our passport to the burma side and returned with 2 new fresh stamps

After filling in the usual arriving in thailand folder i got my 15(Different for every country) new days

It cost me 700 bath at the border, i think it should be 500 but arguing with the guy didn't help a lot so i just payed

So yes, a visa run at kanchanaburi is definitely possible. And it's easy as f...

Just to be crystal clear given your previous confusion about where you crossed.....

The normal charge at all other designated Burmese Land Crossings (ie. Rayong/Victoria Point, Mae Sot/Mywaddy & Mae Sai/Tcheilek) is officially US$10 (310-320 baht) or they ask for 500 baht at a patently bad exchange rate. (Obviously the US$ is the preferred currency with which to pay).

Thus, unless this charge has recently increased (??), you were paying more than twice the official rate.

It all depends where your are based ?

If in Central and West of Thailand then that is the place to go for a few baht more or just go to ( all other designated Burmese Land Crossings (ie. Rayong/Victoria Point, Mae Sot/Mywaddy & Mae Sai/Tcheilek) ! Witch Cost-a-Lot-more. coffee1.gif to get there and back. blink.png

Up to you folks that is what I say facepalm.gif

Win thumbsup.gif

Any news on when this new border crossing will open up to foreigners ? It would be a reasonably convenient drive there from Hua Hin.

I have plans in place for visas for the next year and a half so I'm in no particular rush but i would be nice to know.

I read that there's nothing on the other side of the border at the moment and a road a few hundred kilometers long needs to be constructed through the jungle which will probably take some time.

If in Central and West of Thailand then that is the place to go for a few baht more or just go to ( all other designated Burmese Land Crossings (ie. Rayong/Victoria Point, Mae Sot/Mywaddy & Mae Sai/Tcheilek) ! Witch Cost-a-Lot-more. coffee1.gif to get there and back. blink.png

Up to you folks that is what I say facepalm.gif

Win thumbsup.gif

You have not understand the question put to shararock at all! Please reread the post, if you then have an answer on point pls do contribute some pertinent info. Cheers

Edited by Lakegeneve

Hmm , do u know exactly where did u go ?! It doesn't sound like you went to DaSingkhon crossing . Probably PhuNamRong in Kanchanaburi province . Could you please read and post what location is written on your Thai And Myanmar stamps ! Thanks

Aaaah excuse me i read to fast

yes i went to PhuNamRong in Kanchanaburi

Just to clarify, that would be Ban Phu Nam Ron.

http://www.gomapper.com/travel/where-is/ban-phu-nam-ron-located.html

With a road leading to Dawei (Tavoy) in Myanmar.

• Like 1

I did read what you wrote btw, however since you do not know why they charge a little more Lakegeneve, it is due to the fact that the Burmese Immigration Office is 4 kms further on up the road and it is not tarmacked, rough and earthy, hence, pay a little bit more to stay in your comfort zone, a Thai taxi would not be allowed to take them there anyway, so why walk that far blink.png

In addition:- I do read other Kan forums to get the latest news on issued pertaining to this province. I cannot mention the forums as it is against ThaiVisaDotCom rules. So there you have it. thumbsup.gif

Thank you for your understanding on this issue. facepalm.gif

Win coffee1.gif

I did read what you wrote btw, however since you do not know why they charge a little more Lakegeneve, it is due to the fact that the Burmese Immigration Office is 4 kms further on up the road and it is not tarmacked, rough and earthy, hence, pay a little bit more to stay in your comfort zone, a Thai taxi would not be allowed to take them there anyway, so why walk that far blink.png

In addition:- I do read other Kan forums to get the latest news on issued pertaining to this province. I cannot mention the forums as it is against ThaiVisaDotCom rules. So there you have it. thumbsup.gif

Thank you for your understanding on this issue. facepalm.gif

Win coffee1.gif

It doesn't really matter what you do or do not read. What matters is the ability to convey accurate information for TV readers to benefit all. Something which was lacking in your reply.

He stated "It cost me 700 bath at the border". I then queried that extra amount and who he paid it to in an attempt to understand why he paid that.

You could have just said in that reply, 'The reason it costs 700 baht at the border is that the distance between the Thai Immigration point and the Burmese Immigration point is 4kms, on a dirt, unsealed road. Pay the 700 baht and you save the walk' Or something to that effect.

Instead you replied thus;

If in Central and West of Thailand then that is the place to go for a few baht more or just go to ( all other designated Burmese Land Crossings (ie. Rayong/Victoria Point, Mae Sot/Mywaddy & Mae Sai/Tcheilek) ! Witch Cost-a-Lot-more. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif to get there and back. xblink.png.pagespeed.ic.wBkwYuU0d7.webp

Up to you folks that is what I say facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif

Now, I'm not sure which aspect of that reply you believe answered the question or is helpful to anyone?

whistling.gifrolleyes.gifblink.png (and yes we can all put in a few smilies....)

In any event, so that it is clear for anyone wishing to do a crossing here.

What you are stating is that to avoid the 4km walk between immigration points, a person can pay 200 baht for their passport to be conveyed to the Burmese Immigration staff , processed and returned to them? Thus the fee is 500 baht visa fee (or US$10-) plus the 200 baht to avoid the walk. Is that correct?

And just to be completely clear given that the question was asked to the person who did actually cross, you have done this yourself? Or is your info based on what you have read that others have done?

(BTW, feel free to posts any trip reports or pics from those other forums that you have read. The more info the better to help those seeking info who may be considering undertaking this trip)

Are any of the visa run companies out of Bangkok using this route yet? If so does anyone have any contact details as I need to go on Sunday. Cheers...

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd bring this one back up!

Are there any updates on being aloud to cross the border for a few 'unofficial' hours (no stamps). Would like to see the market on the other side.

Thanks!

Bumpy bump, any news?

Been waiting for this crossing to open for the last 16 years. Every bloody year they say it will open soon and it never does.

Some serious gangsters use this border and they want it kept nice and quiet, that's all i will say on the subject.

Run by the mafia, it just shows the power they have on both sides of the fence to be able to keep this as their own personal smuggling border

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Anyone know what is on the Myanmar side? Thinking of going up and taking a look see. I've been to the Thai side now it is open to Thai citizens, I thought I'd go take a look if it is worth it.