Three Women Missing For Years Found Alive In U S

webfact

Three women missing for years found alive in US

CLEVELAND: -- Three long-missing women believed to have been abducted years ago as teenagers were found alive on Monday at a house in Cleveland a short distance from where they were last seen, police said.

A neighbor in the westside Cleveland community was alerted to their presence by screams from the house and rushed to the dwelling where he found the women, one of whom used his cell phone to call emergency-911, according to Cleveland police.

All three women have since been taken to a hospital, where they were reported to be in good medical condition, police said.

Amanda Berry disappeared aged 16 in 2003, while Gina DeJesus went missing at the age of 14 a year later.

They and Michele Knight, 32, who vanished in 2002 at the age of 20, were found in a house in the city of Cleveland, police confirmed. All are said to be in good health in hospital.

A 52-year-old suspect has been arrested in connection with the case. At least one of the women is reported to have a baby.

Source: http://english.ruvr.ru/2013_05_07/Three-women-missing-for-years-found-alive-in-US-069/

-- THE VOICE OF RUSSIA 2013-05-07

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This hits close to home. I'm from Cleveland, though I'm from the East Side. This is unusual, reminds me of the girl abducted and kept in a basement in Austria for years. Hope they can root out the kidnappers and bring them to justice.

This kind of thing happens far too often, world wide.

It shows what insular lives we lead.

If there was more of a community spirit no one could get away with it.

We really are living in the Matrix!

May the regular TV competition for who has the most barbaric punishment for the perpetrators begin.

Posting the appropriate punishment would for sure be against several forum rules.

I've read up on this case and neighbors had the police out on several occasions while the girls were there. The police either ignored or failed to follow up on half a dozen complaints over the years. Horrible police work.

http://www.businessinsider.com/clues-in-cleveland-kidnapping-case-2013-5

Edited by lannarebirth
  • Like 1

May the regular TV competition for who has the most barbaric punishment for the perpetrators begin.

Another Poll for ............................laugh.png

I have a feeling who number 1 pollster is.

wink.png

An estimated 2000 kids under the age of 18 go missing in the US every day. That's right, every day. Either the aliens are working overtime abducting these kids or there are some really sick folks out there that are kidnapping them. Either way, this case is just the tip of the iceberg.

No need for any barbaric punishment, man.

Life sentence, with no chance of parole, will suffice. Do you agree ?

I've read up on this case and neighbors had the police out on several occasions while the girls were there. The police either ignored or failed to follow up on half a dozen complaints over the years. Horrible police work.

Maybe these cops can transfer to Thailand?

An estimated 2000 kids under the age of 18 go missing in the US every day. That's right, every day. Either the aliens are working overtime abducting these kids or there are some really sick folks out there that are kidnapping them. Either way, this case is just the tip of the iceberg.

The rate in the UK is one every 3 minutes -- that's 140,000 per year, compared to 800,000 per year in the US.

I confess that I didn't believe those figures until I went and checked them. They are almost incredible.

Agree.

The real hero of this story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=N-_VFh05RtM

Now he's an internet meme.

It might sound crass but this salt of the earth working class man is now world famous and part of that is mockery because there is an element of humor in the way he talks. The video remixes are just starting. While no potential for Gangnam Style this man did act as a hero and I hope he can MONETIZE his randomly found fame as compensation for the mockery he's getting.

Maybe as a new sidekick for a new Ricky Gervais show? I'd watch!

Like I said, this is just starting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YrZXbf_UKXY

Edited by Jingthing

His actions in helping these women out is commendable.

However, before we give him sainthood and his own TV show, perhaps reading this might bring some down to reality.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cleveland Hero Was A Repeat Domestic Abuser
Charles Ramsey battered his wife, did prison time for three attacks
MAY 8--The Cleveland man credited with helping free female captives from a house of horrors is a convicted felon whose rap sheet includes three separate domestic violence convictions that resulted in prison terms, court records show.
Charles Ramsey, whose 911 call and subsequent TV interviews have made him a microcelebrity, was once a repeat spousal abuser whose marriage ended in divorce following a 2003 felony conviction for battering his wife.
Ramsey, 43, has said that when he heard captive Amanda Berry screaming and trying to escape from neighbor Ariel Castro’s home on Monday, "I figured it’s a domestic violence dispute.” Ramsey has also reportedly said that he went to help Berry because he “was raised to help women in distress.”

So what if he's a convicted felon? He's a free man now. I think he deserves a payday now.

Agree, he already paid back to the society for what he did in the past, and now he did something good, without thinking too much about it.

And housed in general population, no special protection

• Like 1

And I'll say it again, watch your children every minute, especially in stores, shopping malls etc.

Thailand is no different from any country, kids go missing every day, and many never found.

I do - well, almost that anyway.

But the youngest of these women was abducted at 17. The others were adults. Parents failing to watch them wasn't a factor. And in truth, our fear - I doubt mine is any less than yours - is almost certainly out of proportion when you look at the odds.

But before you say it - even 0.001 % chance is too great when it comes to my kids.

Maybe too quick to call that?

I've read that the police were there twice, rather than several times, and for unrelated reasons.

By no means are all of those kids abducted.

It's horrifying to think of how many are though...

The real hero of this story:

Now he's an internet meme.

It might sound crass but this salt of the earth working class man is now world famous and part of that is mockery because there is an element of humor in the way he talks. The video remixes are just starting. While no potential for Gangnam Style this man did act as a hero and I hope he can MONETIZE his randomly found fame as compensation for the mockery he's getting.

Maybe as a new sidekick for a new Ricky Gervais show? I'd watch!

Like I said, this is just starting:

THE hero?

He had help. But the other guy - Angel Cordero - doesn't speak English so isn't as easily made an object of Internet adulation.

Edited by SteeleJoe

THE hero?

He had help. But the other guy doesn't speak English so isn't as easily made an object of Internet adulation.

I think he deserves a payday not so much for his actions but for the blow back from the INSTANT fame that happened to him. You can be sure that elite CLASS Americans would almost always find a way to capitalize from becoming an internet meme. All I'm saying is if elite class people people "deserve" that lower class people do as well.

I also think if he does capitalize on this, which I hope he does, that he'll be attacked for it in a different way than an elite class American would attract.

Edited by Jingthing

I think he deserves a payday not so much for his actions but for the blow back from the INSTANT fame that happened to him. You can be sure that elite CLASS Americans would almost always find a way to capitalize from becoming an internet meme. All I'm saying is if elite class people people "deserve" that lower class people do as well.

I also think if he does capitalize on this, which I hope he does, that he'll be attacked for it in a different way than an elite class American would attract.

Oh.

Me, I don't know that anyone deserves money for being instantly famous.

As for your speculation as to the inequity of the treatment he will receive based on his socio-economic status...I don't care to indulge in that, but I'm unconvinced on your prediction.

All other things being equal (eg the person is not otherwise undeserving), I have no problem if people make money or get attention and any benefits it brings, for doing something good - generally, I'd be all for it.

And again, especially if we are to be concerned about class distinctions and what's fair - what about Mr. Cordero?

Yes Cordero may be more heroic (and personally admirable) but he is not ever going to be an internet meme. Luck of the draw really. Ramsey has resonance. Ramsey entertains. If there was a reward for help in the case, Cordero would have a claim. But that's not what I'm talking about here.

Edited by Jingthing