Big C Market Koh Phangan.

Just because they are there ! Your not forced to use them , how many samui members go to kfc and mcdonalds regulary ?

Look on the posative side , you have more choice for your weekly shop , plus big c has an ok food court to them

I think this is a little Big C not a big Big C wink.png ....I doubt there will be a full size food court .....

Perhaps between having Tesco and Big C, one of them might have stuff on the shelves, Tesco there is usually half empty sad.png

still wont hold a candle to same same burger phangan homemade ice cream or chicken from the evening market.

Yes, it'll be a tough one to top the quality of the fly-ridden boiler chickens on offer at Big Mama's on Thongsala's evening market.

Deep fried to a dark crisp in a mixture of two-week old boiling black "oil" (which is too far gone to even mix with diesel for the fuming Raja ferry) and sunset red (toxic) coloured batter, it will take some doing for KFC to improve on this delicacy with their famous fried chicken gizzards.

• Like 1

still wont hold a candle to same same burger phangan homemade ice cream or chicken from the evening market.

Yes, it'll be a tough one to top the quality of the fly-ridden boiler chickens on offer at Big Mama's on Thongsala's evening market.

Deep fried to a dark crisp in a mixture of two-week old boiling black "oil" (which is too far gone to even mix with diesel for the fuming Raja ferry) and sunset red (toxic) coloured batter, it will take some doing for KFC to improve on this delicacy with their famous fried chicken gizzards.

lol cheesy.gif There's some decent stuff there tho' I usually limit myself to a nice fruit smoothie from the one Thai vendor who does it the right way.

Going by previous experience (eg fruit sellers bulk-buying out all decent fruit at Tesco to resell in the market):

expect Dairy Queen et al to sell out all stock within an hour of the grand opening, and shortly thereafter see bungalow operators reselling KFC as part of their new diversified menu.

• Like 1

hovever any improvement on the crap sold at tesco is welcome

You are 100% correct Candypants.. The "fresh" food on offer at the Tesco Koh Phangan is absolute crap.!!!... Dog food at best...

Just because they are there ! Your not forced to use them , how many samui members go to kfc and mcdonalds regulary ?

Look on the posative side , you have more choice for your weekly shop , plus big c has an ok food court to them

Here on Samui more Thais can be seen scoffing away in KFC and MacShit than farangs, the Thais will be getting fatter by the day I presume they will also have a coffee shop I think it will be good for Koh Phangan since moving from Phangan to Samui I can say that I have never been ripped off for some reason the Thais are much nicer over here than Phangan not as cut throat or greedy. I would suggest that within 5 years there will be an index, Macro on the island just like Samui !!!!

Along the road from Thong Sala to Ban Tai, about 5-10 mins south of T Sala on bike. Right by the road. Went past yesterday... They should start bringing in the stock soon if they intend to open on the 15th.

Rumor has it, Makro going to be in Chaloklum within 5 years! wink.pngtongue.png

As for the location of Big C or even Tesco for that matter, it depends where you live, not so good for those up the west coast or north end! whistling.gif

that would be an utter disaster of apocalyptic proportion. Keep the commercialization on the road between thongsala and haadrin, chaloklum is charming as it is.
  • Like 1

I have a better idea - anchor it off Ban Tai/Kai, right next to the floating airport-to-be. They'll have a floating airport, floating Big C and floating party all in the same place and conveniently tucked away from every bit of KPG worth visiting :P

• Like 1

Hope someone will post some pics of " Grand Opening " so we can all see what it looks like from the inside Big C is far nicer than Tesco for Food but the clothes are crap Think it will be good for the island stops farngs getting ripped off in the markets. I am sure Tesco will see a 50% reduction in food sales for the 1st month or two which might make them buck there ideas up I can see lots of fat thais with the introduction of KFC and Macshits on the island !!!!!!!!!! Would be interested to know if there is a foodcourt in the building !!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Opened this morning (31st).

This is a BigC market, smaller than the standard big C.

Some import from france, like cheese, delicatessen...

Meat looked good and fresh, fishes as well.

All together they are not in the same league as tesco, the shop is clean (even though it was full this morning)

No KFC nor Mc Doclap2.gif and no food court.

if they keep it like that, tesco has to worry about it's futur

• Like 1

Opened this morning (31st).

This is a BigC market, smaller than the standard big C.

Some import from france, like cheese, delicatessen...

Meat looked good and fresh, fishes as well.

All together they are not in the same league as tesco, the shop is clean (even though it was full this morning)

No KFC nor Mc Doclap2.gif and no food court.

if they keep it like that, tesco has to worry about it's futur

Yes, Tesco can definitely close if BigC stays like that and Tesco doesn't improve! BigC has more things (including some relatively cheap cheese and wine), looks more clean and (!) it doesn't stink! But lets see how it looks in a week clap2.gif

There is one big disadvantage: The motorbike parking space is quite confusing and I fear there will be many accidents if they take away the guy who was handling the 'traffic' today!biggrin.png

I was told that KFC is still under construction (Right side of the market when you come in). On the left side there will be Mr Donut but nobody talks about a Mc Donald's anymore...

Looked to me as if the main entrance area is still incomplete. So A KFC could still be in the plans. They were selling Dunkin Donut type donuts but it was part of the bakery.

I too am now a fan of Big C. I went by chance and fund that many things that Tesco no longer carries can be had at Big C. On the flip side, Tesco has a better frozen foods section.

Rumor has it, Makro going to be in Chaloklum within 5 years! wink.pngtongue.png

As for the location of Big C or even Tesco for that matter, it depends where you live, not so good for those up the west coast or north end! whistling.gif

handsome sandwiches will be relieved biggrin.png