Too Many Roosters In Thailand?

I hate roosters !!

In BKK/Sukhumvit the corner villa across my building kept for years a truly obnoxious species that never ate nor slept as ithey were crowing non-stop 24/7.

Finally he had to make the noise machines disappear when a nice condo got built facing his rookery.

In Pattaya the villa on the back of my small rise has kept three vociferous roosters over all the years I've lived there. Made many tenants leave ...

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of then raised for fighting I suspect

Correct. Opposite my house in the country there is a cock fighting farm and every weekend, they have cock fights. You can imagine that I get up every morning around 4 to make myself a cup of tea. Near my house in BKK, there is a similar one. Cock fighting in Thailand and the associated gambling is illegal, but the police don't give a sh&t. i wouldn't report it either as I value my houses, but it might be one option for you to consider - find the farm and report it. You can bet that almost all the crowing in Thailand is due to cock fighters.

"Hoary old chestnut"

Not so hoary as you might think.

My friend.

I was referring to this fox:

2014234.jpg

You really ought to let your mind wander more often.

Don't always stick to the straight and narrow.

Don't take everything so literal.

Edited by OldChinaHam
  • Like 1

The Dutch have a saying about Indonesians; it's "East Indies Deafness".

..an ability to block out all unwanted sounds.

I wish I could learn how to do this without resorting to earplugs. I have the usual problem with the hounds howling next door, but also the open-air workshop in front of my house, with an electric saw, buzzers, etc going until 9pm. The rosters are just audible, but not too bad.

A strange business, in the middle of a residential area.

Yes, I could close the windows and doors, but I would also like some cool night air.

But as Rudyard Kipling's poem states:

"And the end of the fight is a tombstone white

With the name of the late deceased

And the epitaph drear: "A fool lies here Who tried to hustle
the East. "

wai2.gif

• Like 1

A lot of the above replies have nothing to do with the subject.

I think a lot of Thais are not aware that Roosters are not required for hens to produce eggs. I am plagued with Roosters roosting in the Tree outside my Bedroom. They start crowing around 2 am and continue until daylight. Thais can sleep through this annoying noise. In most civilized countries, Roosters are banned from Town areas...hopefully Thailand will follow suit one day.

The Muslim call to Prayers is also an archaic habit invented when there were no clocks or mobile phones. A totally unnecessary old habit.that has outlived any useful purpose other than to be a noisy annoyance to non Muslims

There is a very large, magnificent looking rooster stalks around my house most of the day screaming out in English every 30 seconds or so, yes in English, I swear it: "Faaaarkin' AAARse 'ole". I don't know who owns him, but that MF is headed to the Tom Yum pot in the near future.

We are the exception that proves the rule being the owners of the only crowing cockerel in the village, he's pretty reliable going off at about 5AM each morning. He does set off the geese and guinea fowl too, monks are already up and banging their gong so we are not actually disturbing anyone :)

The neighbours have actually commented that it's nice to have the alarm clock back and are surprised to learn he lives at 'Baan Farang' smile.png Everyone else who used to keep the beasts has moved over to the quieter varieties which lay bigger eggs.

Our chap and his 'wife' are of the fighting type given to us by Wifey's mum, but he won't be doing any boxing, they're pets.

• Like 1

A lot of the above replies have nothing to do with the subject.

I think a lot of Thais are not aware that Roosters are not required for hens to produce eggs. I am plagued with Roosters roosting in the Tree outside my Bedroom. They start crowing around 2 am and continue until daylight. Thais can sleep through this annoying noise. In most civilized countries, Roosters are banned from Town areas...hopefully Thailand will follow suit one day.

The Muslim call to Prayers is also an archaic habit invented when there were no clocks or mobile phones. A totally unnecessary old habit.that has outlived any useful purpose other than to be a noisy annoyance to non Muslims

In Pattaya I bought the best Songkran water gun I could find a few years ago and I shoo-spray my neighbors' roosters from my 3rd floor back balcony when they venture within striking distance in his backyard. It's a small revenge and it takes the boomboxes away for a while. My present steady TGF doesn't mind the nightly racket. I'm used to that in my Ubon village, she says. Me I wear earplugs.

The previous 24/7 crowing monsters in BKK I tried to poison a couple times with rice laced with rat poison that I was throwing over the fence in their pen. Didn't work. Anyway they're gone now - certainly because of complaints when that upscale condo across from the roostery was built.

There is really not much one can do about roosters in the city, or around a gated community housing development.

The reason I broached this topic was that the sounds these birds make is truly incredibly annoying.

I am daily listening to one of them from about 4 AM to maybe 10 AM, and then for good measure just random calls when least expected.

I happen to be used to this having suffered for so many years. But decades ago when I was younger it really did rattle me.

I too used to dream up all types of measures and retribution. But in the end one never really acts these plans out.

We also have heard stories about people bringing these birds on passenger flights in the past, and this is true.

If I had it to do over again, I think I might try a BB gun, or maybe some sort of non lethal sonic energy weapon developed by the FBI for crowd control.

I AM sure everyone has a rooster story who lives in Asia, and in Asian cities.

If you have plenty of money, then you can just buy off your neighbors, I suppose.

Edited by OldChinaHam

The only answer I had to noisy cockerels in the past was to move. I picked my place carefully visiting it different times of the day to make sure there were no dogs, temple speakers and definitely no damned cockerels. I have been happy ever since. My neighbour brought a cockerel home one day, and I was devastated, I thought my tranquility was about to be broken, luckily that bird was for the pot.

This is why Asia needs zoning laws, and enforcement of existing zoning laws.

You are correct that once you invest money and time to purchase a property or a house, and then you learn there are roosters next door, this can be devastating because this noise is about the worst.

You are correct that once you invest money and time to purchase a property or a house, and then you learn there are roosters next door, this can be devastating because this noise is about the worst.

You are lucky - I live right next to a mosque that rattles on 3 times a day starting at about 4 am - however, living here for 4 years means i don't hear it anymore.

Someone is truly incredibly creative to come up with so many BS topics. This is easily one of them. This is Bs to the max.

Flattery will get you nowhere

SC

In a bizarre way, I'm warming to OldChinaHam ... w00t.gif

It would be a boring 'ole Forum if everyone was the same.

Perhaps this is why Asia needs a tolerant population. Or ear plugs. Zoning laws are surely a bit of a sledgehammer to crack the nuts of noisy roosters.

To be honest, you're suggestion is typically Asian: rather than actually deal with the problem, introduce unnecessary hurdles for the law-abiding, that will be ignored by the people at fault in any case

SC

To be honest, you are correct.

I did not come to Asia to enjoy the zoning laws.

And, you are correct.

The thing I enjoy most about Asia, especially China, is that there are very few laws governing the individual. Before a society becomes developed, one does feel truly free. Next we become developed and are plagued with cycle helmet rules, and many other rules which restrict our feelings of being free.

The first thing I noticed when I left the west is that I immediately felt unburdened of the thousands of nitpicking laws, rules and regulations which a modern developed society seems to always have.

Again, you are right that even though I do not like to be awakened by loud birds in the morning, I still definitely do not want zoning laws, and building codes, and other quagmire restrictions.

One nice thing about Asia that I have noticed, too. I am rarely awakened by leaf blowers in the places I usually enjoy living.

Ta Ta For Now.