Wine Buffet At River Market

ChiangMai2012

Went to The River Market tonight for the 500 (450 w/reservations) buffet and wine tasting.
Got there at 7 when it started. Sat for a minute with friends to enjoy one of 4 wines we were supposed to be tasting (they ran out of the 4th). Then went and waited in the buffet line. Plates were empty by the time we got to the front. Was told they were making more food, so we sat back down and repeated the above. Same outcome. Third time I managed to grab 2 chicken wings before they ran out.

Eventually had to order off the menu, because the 3 small glasses of wine and the 2 chicken wings I paid 450 baht for didn't quite fill me up. Then was informed we couldn't order sushi because they were out of rice. Finally settled on a salad. It was average at best.

No attempt was made to offer any compensation even after speaking to a few different workers.

I was most disappointed there was no caviar and truffles and the welcome drink was not Dom Pérignon.

I don’t believe this post. What do you expect for $15?

Four of us arrived late, almost 8pm and got our 4 glasses of wine. The food kept running out quick but always replenished so we had plenty to eat.

This was a Wine CNX function held at The Riverside Market, who are you putting sh!t on?
  • Like 2

I don't trust sushi in CM. they put on tons of sauces to hide the fact that the fish is not fresh. and it's so cheap, you have to wonder. and I fail to see the ocean from chiang mai......maybe through the smoke it is there!! haha.

anyhow, yea buffets are pretty bad everywhere. honestly, the food you were about to eat would have been bad and filled with tons of bad stuff anyhow. and the wine is probably plastic juice. plus, you would have left 2 lbs heavier, with high blood pressure and cholesterol off the charts. 500 baht, gone. if it makes you feel better, I had to order a new garage door for 30,000 baht. i'm sure I got ripped off by more than 500 baht.

I was most disappointed there was no caviar and truffles and the welcome drink was not Dom Pérignon.

That when you go to a buffet, there actually is a buffet? smile.png

Super cute to be converting the amount into a random different currency, but 450 Thai Baht is a completely reasonable mid-range kind of level and you'd expect there to be some food..

No, not caviar and truffles, was there any complaint on that in his post? Were you just past your bed time? passifier.gif

Now, it's of course possible that the OP got a little unlucky in when he showed up for the buffet, and/or just felt like replacing the 4th wine with a good whine, but your response just isn't really a response to what he said.

My 2 Satang. (But hey, what do you expect for 0.45 Elbonian Rupees. :) )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

This was a Wine CNX function held at The Riverside Market, who are you putting sh!t on?

So this was not a River Market event sponsored and promoted by them? Was it open to the public?

Just googled Wine CNX, it appears that it was their function for wine and hors d’oeuvres, it was not described as a buffet dinner so anybody who attended expecting to get filled up was misinformed or intending to be a pig at the hors d'oeurves table. The OP and others were probably the latter group which is why the food went quickly.

Hard to fault the River Market specially without knowing the conditions of their agreement with Wine CNX.

Four of us arrived late, almost 8pm and got our 4 glasses of wine. The food kept running out quick but always replenished so we had plenty to eat.

450bht is 9 main meals for me. For $15 that is what I would expect to get.

I wouldn't expect fish eggs, but Grapow, Pat King, or Pat Thai would do nicely.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

450bht is 9 main meals for me. For $15 that is what I would expect to get.

I wouldn't expect fish eggs, but Grapow, Pat King, or Pat Thai would do nicely.

Not a problem there are food carts all over town. But I don't think they have cheap wine included in the cost.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

• Like 2

We tried the river market saturday. They perform to serve undercooked rice, the Lamb kebab was to chewy, the chicken dish had a lot of fat and skin.
For the amount of money I expect better quality. A cook who cannot get lambsmeat tender is not a chef.
Something positive, the Thai dishes were good. We like the location so next time only Thai food.

We tried the river market saturday. They perform to serve undercooked rice, the Lamb kebab was to chewy, the chicken dish had a lot of fat and skin.

For the amount of money I expect better quality. A cook who cannot get lambsmeat tender is not a chef.

Something positive, the Thai dishes were good. We like the location so next time only Thai food.

It's Thai fusion isn't it?

That when you go to a buffet, there actually is a buffet? smile.png

Super cute to be converting the amount into a random different currency, but 450 Thai Baht is a completely reasonable mid-range kind of level and you'd expect there to be some food..

No, not caviar and truffles, was there any complaint on that in his post? Were you just past your bed time? passifier.gif

Now, it's of course possible that the OP got a little unlucky in when he showed up for the buffet, and/or just felt like replacing the 4th wine with a good whine, but your response just isn't really a response to what he said.

My 2 Satang. (But hey, what do you expect for 0.45 Elbonian Rupees. smile.png )

You are right Winnie, my apologies to the OP.
Not so much the bed time, but I really should not post after a big night out.
The night was not perfect, but we had a good time.
I too would be a bit upset if I didn’t get the 4 glasses that I paid for.
  • Like 2

I think this may highlight the risk to a restaurant if they rent out (part of) the facility to host another event that they don't directly control.

If anyone feels there's something wrong there then it rubs off on the restaurant far too easily.

Overall I feel positive about River Market, though I can't quite get myself to actually go there with the family. I would (and do) pick it when with foreign business partners who don't have a lot of exposure to Thailand.

Of course I feel like that about any high-end Thai restaurant; exactly the same for exampe for Le Grand Lanna; lovely place, but not sure the value is there for a regular family visit.

The Wine place next to Beer republic in Nimmanhaemin is a nice place. You sit in a room surrounded by bottle of wine and very nice Thai and Farang staffs

Edited by ARISTIDE

We have visited several buffet places. For us, the best value for money is at Grandview at B169. Holiday Inn is also nice for the money - B490 for Friday's seafood buffet. The crab was not good every single time we had visited, but I really shouldn't complain though for the price that we paid. On other nights, they have different buffets - Japanese, Chinese Dim Sum, European, etc at B390. They are good also. The hotel near the train station has ok buffet at B189, but the ambience is not bad.

Would like to read more recommendations from the members.

I can find nothing on the Wine CNX website that says this event was going to be a buffet (hors'doeuvres are mentioned but not buffet). Where/how was this event promoted as a buffet meal?

I can find nothing on the Wine CNX website that says this event was going to be a buffet (hors'doeuvres are mentioned but not buffet). Where/how was this event promoted as a buffet meal?

Personal emails to all members of the CM expats club.

From the CM expats club or somebody else using their mailing list? Perhaps the sender of the emails is responsible for the food problem if they did not accurately describe the event.

To chuck in my 2 Dinaris' worth...

I got this email from CNX

Reminder
about

WINE
TASTING on Wednesday.

Apologies
if you’re getting this and have already bought tix – it’s the downside of
mailing lists!

PLEASE RSVP SOON AS PLACES
ARE LIMITED.

Clearly an issue of the wine company and restaurant not catering properly for ticket sales

Iain

We have visited several buffet places. For us, the best value for money is at Grandview at B169. Holiday Inn is also nice for the money - B490 for Friday's seafood buffet. The crab was not good every single time we had visited, but I really shouldn't complain though for the price that we paid. On other nights, they have different buffets - Japanese, Chinese Dim Sum, European, etc at B390. They are good also. The hotel near the train station has ok buffet at B189, but the ambience is not bad.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/481791-buffet-lunchdinner/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/582835-best-buffet-in-chiangmai/?hl=%2Bbuffets

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/599553-where-is-the-best-mukata-bbq-buffet-in-chiang-mai-that-has-shrimp/?hl=%2Bbuffets#entry5865813

Try Kantary Hills, for their Carvery night buffet, every Wednesday night. The price is a little over 500 baht, and is probably the best buffet in Chiang Mai, for that price.

With all respect due the OP'er I don't buy this whole thing.....I've known Dave for years and that is not the way he does business.

Not saying that you were not dissapointed, but to put the onus on Dave, the River Market, or his staff, just doesn't fly in my book.

As others have said, maybe the difficulty lies in the wine group, or maybe someone promoted something to you that just was not the case.

Again , with all respect, I'll wait til I hear from Dave as to his side of the story. I think that the wrong person or place is being tarred with the brush in error.

Also I tend to take with a grain of salt posts that are made in the middle of the night.....at this time too many posters may have been emboldened with a few sips too many....

Edited by Gonzo the Face
  • Like 1

Once again a misinformed Member posts a load of old cobblers about what he though was gonna be a big nosh and piss up ... at one of Chiang Mai's best located restaurants .... for 450 BT... clap2.gifcheesy.gifcoffee1.gif . .. <deleted> me dead, .... next time go via the talaad and grab a bag of 30bt noodles .

RIVER MARKET is not to blame for OP's lack of brain cells!

Well not being a wine drinker my self I can not say weather it was worth it or not. for all I know and probably some of the participants they could have had 500 baht worth of wine or 150 baht worth. Plus the appetizers.

Why the OP chose to bash the River Market rather than the sponsor is beyond me.

Some one mentioned a list of bad, good and great Buffet's I wonder why he dosen't start one up.

The recommendations could also include if they felt they were good value for the money spent.

It is conceivable to have a great buffet which is over priced like around Christmas and New Years eve times.

Buffet of fully cooked food getting overcooked or sitting and getting cold and old. One has to know really what they are doing to pull off a really good buffet incl managing the food output and I haven't seen that kind of skill here yet. Lots of all you can eat of everything is a disaster waiting to happen!

Bashed the restaurant because the food was the major problem, not the wine. Appetizer buffet, buffet, whatever it was advertised as one still expects to eat more than 2 chicken wings.

Maybe that was all the sponsor paid for the rest was Dave's charity.

Like It has been said before it was a wine company putting the affair on maybe they were expecting some connoisseurs of fine wine rather than people looking for a meal with wine,

They might possibly be in the wrong city for an affair like they put on. In all the posts I have read haveI yet to read one about fine wines here in Chiang Mai. I am sure there are many but there is not a lot of people interested in them enough to put on an affair where they are the main attraction.

Edited by hellodolly