Is Traveling To And In Thailand Dangerous?

shpnky

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Traveling in Thailand is dangerous, and there is a case right now where a group in UK are petitioning to the Coroner to have far more severe warnings posted.

Everything from wholly ignored pedestrian crossings and noodle carts blocking the sidewalks, to a serious deficiencies in aviation and other public travel oversight

This site below might be banned from this forum ( and if removed, ask yourself why some info is censored on various discussion forums, vested interests in keeping visitors a bit naive and advertisers happy? ) But this report is timely to your query.You can google for the article on <snip>

Crux is that Thailand is very very high on the list in traffic fatalities, yet the UK Govt travel site chooses to down play this fact.

You can also read www.InvestigateUdom.com for some rather eye opening facts on how civil aviation is overseen. Pretty scary and I don't think anything has changed since the crash in 2007.

At one point I'd say Thai Airways is the safest air option, , but since last year I would change my assessment as the new President is not so safety minded - the one who was was fired for it. ( IMO )

I only fly Malaysia or Singapore airlines. I'll never get on a Thai budget airline here- and that goes double for Thai Air Asia ( Malaysia Air Asia is OK )

Life does not hold the same value here-if you get killed, so what? You move onto a better life is the current philosophy. If a bus has bald tires and the driver is going too fast in the rain, your death was meant to be.

If you want to sample the infamous prostitution , then by all means, of course you'll love the visit and rave about how "awesome" it all is. But if you are a family instead or otherwise not sexually ( or party-time ) motivated, you might find Malaysia a better destination - it's about 5 decades ahead of Tland in way of a safety culture, cleaner and really a better value( than Phuket, anyway).

You could also not choose Thailand for its abysmal treatment of animals and minority groups.

Thailand is one of the most dangerous countries you can visit on the planet. For example, for British citizens, it is the number one death destination in the world. More Britons die while in Thailand than in any other country on earth. Many such deaths can be ascribed to irresponsible and risk-taking behaviour; however, Thailand also has notorious corruption, an ineffective police force, weak regulations in matters of health and safety and little or no enforcement of them, and inadequate infrastructure that can pose many dangers on a day-to-day basis. You can quite easily be maimed or killed just walking down the street, due to the dangerous conditions of the street infrastructure. Never travel to Thailand without a very good travel insurance policy that should cover you for unlimited medical expenses and repatriation to your home country in the event that you are gravely injured.

You are OBVIOUSLY nothing but a troll. I can't understand why the mods have not removed this blatantly untrue and deliberately inflammatory post.

"noodle carts blocking the sidewalks"

Thankfully someone has finally spoken out against the tragedy of noodle-cart blockage.

The only warning left for unsuspecting tourists is to stay clear of anal-retentive, cranky foreigners.

post-145917-0-12333500-1368338399_thumb.

• Like 1

remember 25% of thai GDP is tourism, if i were in that situation i would under report crime and danger, everything from road accidents, dangerous bus, gun violence , street crime is all under reported to keep those tourist dollar,euro,rublesand now yuan coming. chinese have been in for a surprise no crime in china lots of it here.that why they have been staying norfth lot less crime .

Many of the danger warnings cited in the posts above sound more like the U.S. than Thailand.

Couldn't resist just a little USA bashing huh?

To your comment, I'd suggest you refer to the link in my post #53 which indicates a Brit traveling or living in your beloved Thailand is 15x more likely to die than a Brit in the USA.

Other than the US bash, the rest of your post was pretty spot on...

Hehehe... it's not U.S. bashing. And I saw your post #53.

Just wondering why folks from the most powerful country in the world (my country, by the way) need to be so defensive?

I'm not a U.S.-basher. I'm a basher of all the blatant, rampant xenophobia and narrow-mindedness on TV.

That probably doesn't apply to you, so please ignore... biggrin.png

You, me and Fox News may be the only exposure to Americans that a lot people have.

And I'll be damned if I trust Fox News to get the message out that we're really not devils with fangs, honest. Human, imperfect and with problems, sure.

And I am in no way defending our so called leaders, just J Q Public who's doing his best to take care of the family.

Well.. Did you watch Bangkok Dangerous with Nicholas Cage ?? LOL

Did you see what happen to Boston Marathon? Is that safe at all?

Realize that there are no safe place in the world!

If you are going to have a trip and you are so paranoid about: killers, crazy people, thieves, terrorists, etc.. well, do not leave your home.

If you are going to have a trip with such state of mind/spirit, better do not go, take a time to realize what you really want.

but if you decide to come to Thailand then:

Come and have fun, do not forget to keep your smile always and everything will be fine.

Enjoy your trip in Thailand.

The government warnings are just to 'cover their ass' in case there was a dangerous incident.

As stated above, Thailand is safe as long as you don't get involved with drugs or other shady activity.

I have lived here 17 years and never had anything bad happen.

Just use common sense as you would anywhere.

In fact, I feel more vulnerable when back in UK for a holiday with all the muggings and murders in broad daylight !

+1

I think the web site you read was confused I read a little bit of threats to safety and security and realized they were talking about down town major city USA.

Yes there is terrorism in the deep southern three provinces so I would not recommend them. That is it. You might have trouble driving on the roads as their driving habits lack and they drive on the wrong side of the road. Just take the time to watch how they drive and be prepared for the difference

Your trip sounds great to me.

If on the other hand you are afraid of your shadow stay home in your house.

You, me and Fox News may be the only exposure to Americans that a lot people have.

remember 25% of thai GDP is tourism, if i were in that situation i would under report crime and danger, everything from road accidents, dangerous bus, gun violence , street crime is all under reported to keep those tourist dollar,euro,rublesand now yuan coming. chinese have been in for a surprise no crime in china lots of it here.that why they have been staying norfth lot less crime .

Many of the danger warnings cited in the posts above sound more like the U.S. than Thailand.

Couldn't resist just a little USA bashing huh?

To your comment, I'd suggest you refer to the link in my post #53 which indicates a Brit traveling or living in your beloved Thailand is 15x more likely to die than a Brit in the USA.

Other than the US bash, the rest of your post was pretty spot on...

And I'll be damned if I trust Fox News to get the message out that we're really not devils with fangs, honest. Human, imperfect and with problems, sure.

And I am in no way defending our so called leaders, just J Q Public who's doing his best to take care of the family.

I think bitcoinbob should maybe find out some thing about Thailand before he posts, Or wait until the morning after when his head is feeling better.

• Like 1

You don't say if you are a girl or a guy. Women (white) ....yes i would say proceed with caution. Never walk alone. Guys? I've been here 9 years, travelled everywhere, and as many have said, you can get into trouble just as easy in your home country.The old saying is ...........if you look for it you'll find it!

bitcoinbob seems to follow the make-up-your-own-statistics-to-suit-your-agenda approach, in order to make his rants sound more plausible.

The tourism and travel sector contributed Bt825.6bn ($27.99bn), or 7.3%, directly to Thailand’s GDP in 2012, according to the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC).

http://www.oxfordbusinessgroup.com/economic_updates/thailand-record-arrival-numbers-bode-well-tourism

Thailand is one of the most dangerous countries you can visit on the planet. For example, for British citizens, it is the number one death destination in the world. More Britons die while in Thailand than in any other country on earth. Many such deaths can be ascribed to irresponsible and risk-taking behaviour; however, Thailand also has notorious corruption, an ineffective police force, weak regulations in matters of health and safety and little or no enforcement of them, and inadequate infrastructure that can pose many dangers on a day-to-day basis. You can quite easily be maimed or killed just walking down the street, due to the dangerous conditions of the street infrastructure. Never travel to Thailand without a very good travel insurance policy that should cover you for unlimited medical expenses and repatriation to your home country in the event that you are gravely injured.

Sphnky, my advice is to largely ignore this post, apart from making sure you have good travel insurance. Yes, people do get injured and die in Thailand, but it is certainly not one of the most dangerous on the planet. As one OP has already highlighted, the danger areas are motor bikes (whilst I love them, I would not ride one in Thailand) and it is not so much YOUR riding skills, but those of the locals who at times are quite unpredictable - five on a bike, ride up the wrong side of the road, zoom out of a side road without checking, over taking without checking and on and on and on. However, having said that, I have lived here for seven years and never had an accident in my car, but do know plenty of friends who have skidded on sand on their motor bike and taken a couple of layers of skin off elbows, knees and chins! On the upside the majority of people are friendly and helpful, prices even now are very reasonable despite a strong baht, weather is brilliant, scenery fantastic and the opportunities to chill and meet like minded people abound. Do not drink and drive, whatever the temptation as that is where most riders are wiped out. You sound like a sensible Guy. Come and enjoy this wonderful land and all it has to offer and be bedazzled by the lovely Ladies (make sure they are female!) and keep your brain in your head and not your nether regions. I think you will fall in love with the place, life style and people, as millions before you have. Hope you make it.

Scanning through the posts there is obviously people who have never been here before posting negative things. Some have been here and had a negative event and rather than admit things like that happen where they come from they just bash all of Thailand. there is two reasons to come to Thailand for a holiday

1 It is a beautiful country

2 it is a completely different culture

Come and enjoy either one of these or both. I am not saying the roads are the best in the world or there is no crime. The roads certainly need improving in many areas and because of different driving habits you might not navigate them as well as back home.

You should always be aware of the possibilities and in most cases you need not use as much defense as you do at home.

I let one principal be my guide they are neither right or wrong they are different. It has allowed me to enjoy living full time here in Thailand for 7 years with out any of the dire warnings happening to me. The one big thing I like is I am responsible for my self. There is no court I can go to and sue you because I tripped in front of your house over a toy your kid left on the side walk. I learn to watch where I walk and look both ways before crossing the street even if it is a one way. If the light is green I do not step out in front of an oncoming car and rely on him stopping. Many times the side walks are cluttered up to the point where it is easier to walk in the street this is a part of their culture some streets you dare not wallk on this is an observation you have to make. The whole thing gives you a chance to be you and not some one walking around with the idea well if it happens I can sue them.

There will be people trying to sell you knock off items at ridicules prices this is one of the scams here but it is so well known here that people who do buy know what they are getting. When Madonna came here she said she wanted to buy one of the fake Rolex watches. In the tourist areas you can expect to pay more than if you were not in the tourist areas. That is due to the fact that the people are just like you trying to get as much money out of the boss as they can. In this case you are the boss and can bargain with them the same as a union does when they are looking for a raise.

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 1

The risk of anything bad happening to you is to a large extent dependent on your own behaviour. You are going to have the time of your life and people get so relaxed they let their guard down. If you drink a whole bottle of spirits mixed with caffeine in a bucket, there is a higher chance you'll lose your stuff than if you go to bed at 8. If you ride a motorbike in flip flops and shorts having never ridden before, chances are you'll get a big scrape down your leg at the least. If you go off with strangers into the night, they may not be as nice as they first seem.

If you travel with an open mind, remember to smile all the time even if you are annoyed and exercise a level of caution (put valuables in the safe at guest houses, don't carry a lot of cash or expensive stuff) you'll should be totally fine. Your parents have to trust you. I first went there when I was 18 and didn't even call home, just sent a postcard once a week. I'm sure they were worried but realised they had to let me spread my wings. These days there's no reason you can't keep in touch daily if you want with a quick email fb message or text.

Bad stuff happens everywhere in the world, but usually it doesn't. Most people stay alive!

• Like 1

P.S. Make sure you have travel insurance. If you fall ill here, up front cash payments are not unusual before they'll admit you.

And make sure your travel insurance coverage includes accidents while riding a motorcycle. A good number of tourist injuries in Thailand involve alcohol and motorcycles.

very few, if any, will cover you for an accident while you are impaired.

Not even close...

http://www.traveldailynews.com/images/upload/File/british-abroad-report-240809.pdf

Get your facts straight before bashing. Then bash away if you still feel you're right in spite of the facts.

Your figures actually prove him right (not in the actual number of deaths, but in it being the most dangerous). If you carry on reading, it actually says...

As a proportion of the number of visitors, Britons were most likely to be hospitalised in Thailand,
As a proportion of visitors British deaths are most likely to occur in Thailand

Divide the number of deaths by the number of tourists, and Thailand is top of the list... which would make it the most dangerous.

Admittedly, I think it's idiots renting motorbikes who've either never ridden one before, or assume traffic rules get followed as closely as they are in the UK, or not wearing helmets, or drinking and riding motorbikes that's probably pushing up the statistics.

There's also the dodgy bus services from Khao San road (which is what the mothers are protesting after their sons died on those). If you avoid those, and the suicide hotspot that is Pattaya, it's fairly safe.

Edited by bkk_mike
  • Like 1

For a government produced advisory I would say it is comprehensive, and from a quick scan, nothing in it seems to be over the top. All these things can and do happen. Avoid the areas in the south that have been highlighted and in all other respects keep your wits about you and you'll be fine. In fact I would suggest you avoid the big Western tourist centres, usually very expensive, and concentrate on "Thai" Thailand and you might be struck by what a great place this really is.

Yep, that about covers it, be careful but respect Thai culture and avoid the less savory tourist haunts.

Read up on popular scams in Thailand. It is easy to find with a simple google search.

Be extremely suspect of any well dressed Thai, usually a middle aged male, that approaches you on the street for friendly conversation and speaks very good English. Thai people are very shy, even with other Thai strangers, so most likely that individual is sizing you up for a scam. The same goes for Africans, probably Nigerians, in BKK. A common approach is to find out what country you are from and then say they want to do business in your country and maybe you can help. Its a scam!

Never get in any vehicle at the recommendation of someone you have just met, no matter how good the "deal" sounds. This includes tuk tuks and taxis! NEVER!

If you are staying in a nice hotel, carry their phone number, as they can often be of assistance. A 4-5 star hotel can also be trusted for advice on things like where is the best place to rent a vehicle. In Thailand it is common for people to get a kick back for making referrals, but the 4-5 star hotels will also have your best interest in mind. Generally speaking, staff at a 4-5 star hotel are more likely to have your best interests in mind, as a tourist, than anyone else in Thailand.

Be very much aware of pick pockets, particularly in concentrated areas such as shopping and any public transportation, including baht buses in Pattaya. Keep in your wallet only what you can afford to loose and the rest in the hotel safe. If you are going to carry credit/debit cards make sure the phone number for each is written down and in a secure location, like your hotel room.

In Thailand, if someone is really pestering you and you just want to get rid of him/her, simply say you are going to eat and he/she will most likely smile and back off. If asked where you are going to eat, just say anything...it won't matter. Its a cultural thing.

Never leave an open drink unattended. Finish it before going to the toilet or take it with you.

If you end up at a bar in the early morning hours, don't try walking back to the hotel, unless it is close by and on a populated route. Better is to ask the manager if one of the staff can run you back to your hotel on their motorbike and offer to pay 100 baht. As log as you have behaved during your stay at their establishment you can feel reasonably confident they will get you home safe and sound.

In urban Cambodia, do not carry a shoulder bag, or simply let a camera hang from your shoulder. Keep a tight grip on things. Some would argue the same is true in certain areas of Thailand, but urban Cambodia is notorious for slash and grabs, usually from a passing motorbike.

No matter how angry or frustrated you are. No matter how right you are. Avoid confrontation at all costs.

It is impossible to over use a smile in Thailand. :-)

• Like 1

When preparing to visit Thailand, it's best to consider that there are two different Thailands in the one country.

The one Thailand appeals mostly to sex tourists. It attracts riff-raff from around the world. This Thailand comprises many of the well-known (but unseemly) tourist areas of Pattaya, Phuket and some areas of Bangkok. The advantages of visiting this Thailand is you don't need to learn the language. The down side -- you will usually pay 2-5 times as much for accommodations and food. You will also incur a much higher risk of being scalped by the scammers who congregate in these areas to prey on tourists. You will also miss out on the beauty of the Real Thailand.

The other Thailand (the Real Thailand) is an awesome place.

To get maximum enjoyment from your visit to the real Thailand, get online and learn at least a few dozen simple everyday expression in Thai. It will help a lot. Also, make sure to leave your condescending prejudices at home. It also helps to smile a lot. This is Asia, it's centuries old traditions and custom are very different from the West. With these ideas in mind, travel all over the country (except the far south) and you'll usually be treated with genuine politeness, warm kindness and respect.

Personally, I'd recommend visiting the old city (downtown area) of Chiang Mai. A marvelous place, full of ancient history, rich culture, modern infrastructure and all sorts of other enchantments. After 26+ years in Asia, living in many places in many countries, I chose Chiang Mai for my retirement home. Now, living here, I like it much better than anyplace I've ever lived in my life.

Well said!

I think, I would be scared, if I was going to USA. Have been there; the local people warned about the dangers when I wished to take a walk alone in the streets – however, I did and nothing happened.

As yourauntbob said it in an earlier post, it up to the way the person behaves. Yes, accidents can happen everywhere and travel insurance is a must – especially take care in the traffic at some areas – but apart from that, if you act polite and think first, then I believe you are as safe in Thailand than most other countries, you may wish to visit.

I don’t know about Cambodia, but I’ve been to Phnom Penh some years ago, and that was indeed Okay and seemed quite similar to Thailand.

I’ve been coming here for 12 years and living permanent for seven, and I’ve never been scared – even walking alone at night in BKK or when partying on the islands, both with locals and the young tourists. Some other places in the World, I must admit, I have been more careful, because of danger – and in my home country Denmark; there are today some areas I consider so dangerous, that I will not like to visit them. I feel safer walking the streets alone at night in Bangkok, than in Copenhagen.
  • Like 1

I was in Thailand in February. Stayed in Bangkok and Pattaya. Was with my Thai gf who lives in UK. I never felt safer despite being out till 2:30 some nights. I would NEVER do this in my home town in UK. It's a very dangerous place. Was harassed in New York too

As others have said, get travel insurance, be very careful crossing roads and more importantly... don't act like an idiot, be responsible for your behaviour. Western countries have got to the point where all kinds of stupid behaviour is tolerated in public. Thankfully this is not the case in Thailand

Not even close...

http://www.traveldailynews.com/images/upload/File/british-abroad-report-240809.pdf

Get your facts straight before bashing. Then bash away if you still feel you're right in spite of the facts.

Your figures actually prove him right (not in the actual number of deaths, but in it being the most dangerous). If you carry on reading, it actually says...

As a proportion of the number of visitors, Britons were most likely to be hospitalised in Thailand,

Divide the number of deaths by the number of tourists, and Thailand is top of the list... which would make it the most dangerous.

Admittedly, I think it's idiots renting motorbikes who've either never ridden one before, or assume traffic rules get followed as closely as they are in the UK, or not wearing helmets, or drinking and riding motorbikes that's probably pushing up the statistics.

There's also the dodgy bus services from Khao San road (which is what the mothers are protesting after their sons died on those). If you avoid those, and the suicide hotspot that is Pattaya, it's fairly safe.

You are only giving part of the story. the reason for the high admittance to the hospitals is that unlike Briton they have enough hospitals.

And yes Britons are more likely to dye in Thailand than at home. Because Thailand does not have laws and policemen that will stop you from riding a motor bike if you have never rode one. Also the infrastructure in Briton is far more superior. Basically it comes down to more British dying here through lack of smarts.

Give us the percentage of British deaths here due to Cancer TB and many other diseases that kill. Possibly a little higher because the people with the diseases want to enjoy there remaining life so they come to Thailand.

You are talking a lot of rubbish, although what you say about corruption, an ineffective police force and travel insurance is true. Thailand is one of the safest countries in the world, and your'e comment "you can be killed or maimed just walking down the street", is such a load of nonsense, that just will not happen in 99.9% of the times, if you don't bother the Thais, then they won't bother you, how many people in Thailand are killed just walking down the street compared to the UK? How many Brits visit Thailand compared to people from other western countries? How many get drunk and then hire motorbikes compared to other Western countries. Although there are a very few exceptions, Thai people are the most non confrontational you will ever meet.

I felt compelled to respond, because obviously, you don't even understand the meaning of the word "infrastructure". Check the dictionary. It does not mean "people". Thai people are indeed less confrontational and more tolerant than many nationalities, but if you're not sensitive to their nature and you get on the wrong side of a Thai person, they can turn extremely violent very quickly, and they prefer to fight in gangs with an "us" (Thai) against "them" (any foreigner) mentality. The Thai people are the least of your problems in Thailand. You're much more likely to be injured or killed at the hands of a crazed tourist, given the high ratio of total loser jerks who choose to make Thailand their adopted home. (Nobody on this forum, though, of course!) The gist of my post was mostly about the very low health and safety standards in Thailand, and the constant flouting of regulations, which no-one can deny. You have to be constantly on your guard in Thailand against unforeseen everyday dangers like potholes, sharp metal bars sticking up from the street, exposed live electrical wiring, and I could go on all day. Thailand is "supposed" to be a holiday destination where you can totally relax; however, if you do that, you're much more likely to come a cropper and then, if you lack health insurance, you'll really be up the creek without a canoe.

I do understand the meaning of infrastructure, and I never said it meant people, there is one thing I hate about Thai men, unless they are trained in some martial art or boxing, they will never square up to you one to one unless they know there is back up nearby. You take on one Thai, and you take on another five or six. Yes, you are right about potholes and such like. The main thing is, it is very highly unlikely you will be attacked in the street in Thailand. The UK is much more dangerous. I never go back to the UK unarmed, and I don't care what their law says, if I did, I would have been injured or maybe killed before now. Every expat living in Thailand always compares it to their homeland, and in my case, the homeland comes off much worse.

bkk_mike, on 12 May 2013 - 14:21, said:

impulse, on 10 May 2013 - 13:23, said:

FalangBaa, on 10 May 2013 - 00:53, said:

Not even close...

Yup, that is what the stat's say (not mine, BTW, official numbers). But that's not what I underlined on his post.

And to fully understand those stats, you would have to break it up by deaths of tourists vs long stay residents who basically come to Thailand to live out the rest of their lives, and consequently die in Thailand of natural causes- like old age. The linked document makes no distinction.

In fairness, the comparison between the USA at 1/47,000 and Thailand at 1/3,000 (Post #52) has to be looked into more carefully, too. Most long stay expats in the USA (at least the ones that plan to live out there lives there) may become US citizens and fall off the UK radar- no longer UK nationals. Not so much with long stay Thailand expats who face more hurdles to gain citizenship. I don't know that to be true, but it would have to be considered before drawing any conclusions.

But I am glad some folks are actually looking at the numbers instead of using the AEM (anal extraction method- pulling numbers out of one's butt). You can have a good discussion about the friendliest people, or the best food, or the greatest scenery, without any numbers at all. But when the topic turns to safety, all the warm fuzzies in the world mean exactly diddly squat without a comparison of the numbers.

Good catch, bkk_mike.

Edited by impulse

Hope the OP takes notice of the good advice given and ignores the rubbish offered by trolls like FalangBaa etc. But if OP's parents find out about "noodle carts blocking the sidewalks" then I am afraid the trip is off. One other good thing may come of this interesting topic, it may deter a host of Poms coming over here and giving the place a bad name.

• Like 1

Please do not listen to these morons, I'm from britian and can honestly say I feel safer here in Thailand than I do in the uk, the people are so nice not once have I had a problem here in 6months I've been travelling the locals are so nice I'm considering moving here to live.

Compared to where I lived in oxford its so different there are more violence crimes etc there than I have witnessedor heard of here.

Yes there are some problems with Muslims in the deep south Burma boarder but if avoided the rest of Thailand is beautiful.

I feel more threaten visiting my brother in London than I do here anyone who post negative things about thailand is an idiot and probably came here to get drunk everyday and treat the locals with disrespect hence there negative posts. Ive travelled alone the whole time and had never travelled before and it truely is the best thing I've ever done and believe thai people to be far nicer than most in the uk

• Like 1

Please do not listen to these morons, I'm from britian and can honestly say I feel safer here in Thailand than I do in the uk, the people are so nice not once have I had a problem here in 6months I've been travelling the locals are so nice I'm considering moving here to live.

Compared to where I lived in oxford its so different there are more violence crimes etc there than I have witnessedor heard of here.

Yes there are some problems with Muslims in the deep south Burma boarder but if avoided the rest of Thailand is beautiful.

I feel more threaten visiting my brother in London than I do here anyone who post negative things about thailand is an idiot and probably came here to get drunk everyday and treat the locals with disrespect hence there negative posts. Ive travelled alone the whole time and had never travelled before and it truely is the best thing I've ever done and believe thai people to be far nicer than most in the uk

coffee1.gif ....... Sorry..............coffee1.gif