Ford Ecosport Release?

Isn't the reason there are effectively no diesel cars in Thailand due to the subsidy on diesel fuel being for 'commercial' vehicles and not private cars, so I assume there is the usual horrendous tax on diesel powered passenger cars?

I believe your assumption is incorrect. Taxes in cars in LOS are mainly based on engine size and vehicle type, (car, pickup, ppv), at least until the future emissions based system comes in to force.

Diesel engines are more expensive to make than petrol engines so selling a cheap car with diesel engine would be tricky in the price sensitive local market. Diesels compare better with pickups which are in a lower tax category, lessening the impact of the diesel engine cost.

Mid price cars like the Captiva and CX-5 offer diesels at the high end of their range. Diesel versions from other mid range brands or models sold elsewhere would probably work but manufacturers probably reckon they would make less profit on these. Prestige brands like BMW and Mercedes are happy to sell diesel cars, for a few more baht than the base petrol versions. For these the difference in engine cost is probably not as significant compared to the car price.

I can't see the cost of diesel engines making them an uneconomical proposition, especially as the running costs are far less than a petrol engined car. Diesel tech is common here so servicing is no issue. The premium of a diesel over a petrol engined car in a proper country is negligable.

So, there is still no plausable reason why we don't have diesel passenger cars here in any meaningful numbers.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Be careful calling Benz and BM. Prestige. As a C Class Benz user here they are not until you talk Imported ones or 2 Door Sports.. In fact they get less attention here than the New Mazda 3.or the Ford /Suzuki SUV mini eco look alike things. Keema is spot on.

Be careful calling Benz and BM. Prestige. As a C Class Benz user here they are not until you talk Imported ones or 2 Door Sports.. In fact they get less attention here than the New Mazda 3.or the Ford /Suzuki SUV mini eco look alike things. Keema is spot on.

Looked over that new Mazda 3 hatch today at a mall, boy is that a looker. I love it. I think it will sell well. Yeah, the thing about Benz, Beemers, etc., is that they are like a fairy tale to Thais, something most can never attain, so fun, new affordable cars become big hits. Witness the Swift. I'm sure the Honda Vezel will also be a big hit end of next year when it rolls of the new production line.

Isn't the reason there are effectively no diesel cars in Thailand due to the subsidy on diesel fuel being for 'commercial' vehicles and not private cars, so I assume there is the usual horrendous tax on diesel powered passenger cars?

I believe your assumption is incorrect. Taxes in cars in LOS are mainly based on engine size and vehicle type, (car, pickup, ppv), at least until the future emissions based system comes in to force.

Diesel engines are more expensive to make than petrol engines so selling a cheap car with diesel engine would be tricky in the price sensitive local market. Diesels compare better with pickups which are in a lower tax category, lessening the impact of the diesel engine cost.

Mid price cars like the Captiva and CX-5 offer diesels at the high end of their range. Diesel versions from other mid range brands or models sold elsewhere would probably work but manufacturers probably reckon they would make less profit on these. Prestige brands like BMW and Mercedes are happy to sell diesel cars, for a few more baht than the base petrol versions. For these the difference in engine cost is probably not as significant compared to the car price.

I can't see the cost of diesel engines making them an uneconomical proposition, especially as the running costs are far less than a petrol engined car. Diesel tech is common here so servicing is no issue. The premium of a diesel over a petrol engined car in a proper country is negligable.

So, there is still no plausable reason why we don't have diesel passenger cars here in any meaningful numbers.

Actually I should have said your assumption is correct, the horrendous tax on diesel cars is the same as the horrendous tax on petrol cars.

The tax magnifies the cost difference between engines. E.G. Chevy charge about 130,000 baht more for the diesel Captiva. In Australia the Holden Captiva diesel is about $1000 or 29,000 baht more than the 3.0L V6 petrol. Presumably the difference to the 2.7L 4 cylinder would be more.

Yes diesel is common and works fine for pickups with less tax but low to mid market cars are very price sensitive. The only way to sell cars in meaningful numbers is to keep the price down. Sales volume for models above 1.5M baht are pretty low.

The Aussie market is virtually a niche market, so I looked at the UK market. 40k premium for a Focus diesel over its petrol counterpart. It makes no sense that Ford are pushing the new eco Fiesta at a huge premium and don't have diesels in their range here for a small premium. Same for all the other players here. There has to be more to this than simply saying the Thai market cannot handle a small premium for a more economical and efficient engine that uses current tech.

Sent from my Lumia 610 using Tapatalk

The Aussie market is virtually a niche market, so I looked at the UK market. 40k premium for a Focus diesel over its petrol counterpart. It makes no sense that Ford are pushing the new eco Fiesta at a huge premium and don't have diesels in their range here for a small premium. Same for all the other players here. There has to be more to this than simply saying the Thai market cannot handle a small premium for a more economical and efficient engine that uses current tech.

Price definitely plays a part, but so does market acceptance... there's a general negative view of passenger cars with clattering diesel engines.. America is no different. I recall Honda's response to the question: "why don't you sell the CR-V diesel", their response: "because no-one would buy it".

• Like 1

Price definitely plays a part, but so does market acceptance... there's a general negative view of passenger cars with clattering diesel engines.. America is no different. I recall Honda's response to the question: "why don't you sell the CR-V diesel", their response: "because no-one would buy it".

For sure, in the US, customers are only just starting to see the benefits of diesel, but remember most Americans think pushrod V8s are high tech.

In Thailand, pickups are one of, if not the, largest vehicle segment and they're virtually all diesel and primarily used as passenger vehicles. No problems with Thais accepting diesel engines I think.

In US diesel fuel is more expensive than gasoline and if the price of the car with the diesel engine will have to be higher,than,of course,who will buy it...but in EU they sell pretty good.I would like to see the small diesel in the Ecosport....even,if with the higher price....

From a Thai perspective they only accept diesels as long as they are associated with (pickup) trucks. When talking about sedans the vast majority thinks only about benzene (CNG / LPG) as they run smoother and quieter than the average diesel engine.

For sure, in the US, customers are only just starting to see the benefits of diesel, but remember most Americans think pushrod V8s are high tech.

In Thailand, pickups are one of, if not the, largest vehicle segment and they're virtually all diesel and primarily used as passenger vehicles. No problems with Thais accepting diesel engines I think.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We just ordered our Ecosport (white - Titanium Spec) from the Ford dealer in Pinklao (west BKK). Really enjoyed the test drive and think it will be a nice change from the 2010 Mazda 3 I just sold. Seems to fit the kind of driving I do (Mostly city, the odd run out to Hua Hin), and looking forward to the better audio system, and all the nice options that come with the top Titanium Spec. Priced at 830k with year free insurance and all the freebies. Will let you know how I like it when I've had it a week.

post-168665-0-30020200-1400244602_thumb.

• Like 1

Hi

Had my ecosport titanium for 2 weeks in Pattaya.

Nice quiet smooth ride. Power ok around town and highways.

Could do with a bit more power for overtaking on single roads but not that much of a problem.

Plenty of equipment included and sync works great with calls/music.

A few people have come to look at it when I've parked up and it seems popular.

For me I wanted a smaller car with a bit more ground clearance. So for my needs its perfect.

post-156406-0-74271500-1400419911_thumb.

• Like 1

We've had ours about a month now and it has been perfect. My only complaints remain the cheapish interior plastics, but there aren't any rattles or anything. Very quiet and smooth, but fuel economy nothing to write home about- around 12km/l (e20). Starting to see more running around now.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by keemapoot
  • Like 1

I was at Ford Pattaya yesterday for booking a scheduled service for my truck and saw a lot of Ecosports at the shop, a Navy officer was picking his up and they even have a test car too.

When will the 1.0l ecoboost powered Ecosport be on sale here? Will it be the 100 or the 120 HP version?

Ford Pattaya are having good times now, man they are busy, I think they will have to expand if this continues.

• 2 weeks later...

I do have a question for some - the instrument cluster has some soft of "gasoline usage meter" in the upper display, but I cannot find, or switch to, a coolant/engine temperature meter. Does this car not have one? Seems like it would be important in the heat of BKK.

True funny story last week. I borrowed the Ecosport to run to Makro. As I was returning to the car with my stuff, there was a Thai couple walking in front of me, and the wife turned to the husband and asked "what kind of car is that, so cute- I want it!" He looked a little annoyed when he replied "it's a Ford." I didn't think much of it, but as I was driving the car out of the car lot, I passed them as she was getting into the driver's seat of a Lexus RX. cheesy.gif

The guy was probably thinking how much money he could have saved if he had only known.

Edited by keemapoot
  • Like 1

^ Yeah, good timing. LPG just became interesting again for a lot of people because the just announced by the NCPO policy of freezing that gradual price rise to 22.6. That price freeze will probably be effective for a few years at least as we are looking at likely 3 years before a civilian government is in place again.

I wouldn't screw with it with the Ecosport though, as I'm sure that would void a warranty on a new vehicle, but certainly is an option for those out of warranty.

Looks like those who are waiting for the Honda Vezel as an alternative to the Ecosport or Juke have some bad news. Thai auto parts producers said on Friday that Honda's planned new plant in Prachin Buri (where the new Vezel is going to be produced) has been delayed 11 months, so now scheduled to begin production in March 2016.

So, anyone wanting a Vezel will be looking at at least two years from now for start of deliveries at most optimistic if those reports are correct.

New car sales, production and profits are down and sluggish. The article is in the Bangkok Post if anyone wants to read it.

Hi There/.

I've been thinking about changing my current car (vios) for sometime and the Ecosport seems to fit my needs - city driving - occasional holiday out of town.

Today I had a test drive with my local Ford dealer in a titanium model, I was very impressed with it overall (after driving my current vios) around for nearly 5 years, refreshing to drive compared to my current car. There seemed enough power and very quick on acceleration compared to my vios. (I know it not a race car) but for normal running around with a family it's ok.

I was thinking about buying a TREND MODEL but after todays test drive, I am going to order a Titanium model for sure - but with Trend model wheels on it.

They are offering me the normal freebies etc, free insurance, film, paint protection coupons, carpet mats and many more little things.

They promise me 1 month delivery and the color I want? - lets see what happens - this is my only concern - noting the current drop in new car sales.

(subject to my current car being sold next week) - I have a buyer - paid deposit, already - - I will order an Ecosport with my dealer next week?

Hopefully things will work out smile.png

cheers

• Like 1

Hello are there any Ford Ecosport owners out there/. (with reference to my post yesterday).

Today I went home via Big C, near my home and they have had a Ford Display there now for about 4-5 weeks (showing a Ranger and Ecosport).

I caught the salesman - jump starting the Titanium Ecosport (with jump leads) and questioned him why - this is a brand new car unregistered?

His reply was, you must run the car every couple of days at least (thought this was strange) a new car why?

Have any of you had this similar problem yes?

I currently leave my vios all week and start at the weekend and never had this problem in 5 years (also leaving my 2 alarm systems on).

Are Ford right telling me you must use the car every couple of days - seems strange (what happens when you go on holiday or away for a few days) are you going to have a flat battery problem every time you return. Or is it probably that they have stood around for 4/5 weeks without proper running time over this time?

this raises a concern - with me about to purchase one

cheers

^That's a bogus claim. Our Ecosport sits for many days without being driven, and still starts right up. The only cars I can remember that being a concern with are older heavy electronic gadget cars before the technologies were perfected, such as older 7 series BMWs.

Wait a minute. I remember Yamaha Finos also have that problem, at least the one I had. biggrin.png

Hello are there any Ford Ecosport owners out there/. (with reference to my post yesterday).

Today I went home via Big C, near my home and they have had a Ford Display there now for about 4-5 weeks (showing a Ranger and Ecosport).

I caught the salesman - jump starting the Titanium Ecosport (with jump leads) and questioned him why - this is a brand new car unregistered?

His reply was, you must run the car every couple of days at least (thought this was strange) a new car why?

I currently leave my vios all week and start at the weekend and never had this problem in 5 years (also leaving my 2 alarm systems on).

Are Ford right telling me you must use the car every couple of days - seems strange (what happens when you go on holiday or away for a few days) are you going to have a flat battery problem every time you return. Or is it probably that they have stood around for 4/5 weeks without proper running time over this time?

cheers

I'm out of the country for 6 weeks and left it in the condo car park.

When I return I'll let you know if it starts or not!

Apparently after a few days it goes into a battery save mode, I guess I'll find out in 3-4 weeks.

cheers

Based on Ford Thailand's legendary pisspoor service, maybe a customer had duff battery so they pulled the one from the 'show' car since it isn't going anywhere for a few weeks and replaced it with the dud, hence it needs jumpering and keeps a customer happy?

Alternatively, the Ecosport could have just had a bad battery from the factory... like my new Ranger had over 2 years ago!

Hi

Had my ecosport titanium for 2 weeks in Pattaya.

Nice quiet smooth ride. Power ok around town and highways.

Could do with a bit more power for overtaking on single roads but not that much of a problem.

Plenty of equipment included and sync works great with calls/music.

A few people have come to look at it when I've parked up and it seems popular.

For me I wanted a smaller car with a bit more ground clearance. So for my needs its perfect.

My wife saw that and reckoned if a car can easily get a Pattaya beach side parking space, then that's the car that she wants!

Hi All/.

Reference my previous posts (last week).

Have moved on now - my vios has been sold and gonesmile.png and I have ordered and put down a deposit on a Ecosport "Trend" model color "Mars Red".

This seemed my best option (don't like the sunroof and even see me using it) maybe could leek later in life (a risk) and I didn't like the wheels on Titanium model. Up-graded though to leather seats from Titanium (only 9,800 baht difference) seems ok and extra LED door sills skuffs (3,900 baht). Otherwise many free extra's in with deal, normal stuff, i.e 3 M film, free insurance, paint cover protection vouchers, reversing sensors, carpets and mats, boot liner, chrome exhaust end tip, mud flaps, Window (rain protectors) and more little things.

They promise me - color delivery 1 month - from factory order, so I see what happens.

I am also looking around for a GPS in dash system, contacted Zulex - tell me two early yet for production 2/3 months wait - or maybe I,ll look at SpeedNavi PND model have seen advertised model to stick in the window - but would prefer fitted system better and rear monitors. I have had SpeedNavi in vios and really liked it. I,ll look more into later.

OK, wait and see what happens upon delivery of Ecosport next month.

cheers

Edited by Martinpeter
  • Like 1