Poll: Men -- Are You Comfortable Sharing A Slice Of Cake With Another Man In A Restaurant?

Let us eat cake (or not)  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd think nothing of sharing a piece of cake, but with two plates. Two people eating from the same plate is awkward. Doesn't matter if it's with a man or a woman. Especially sitting across from each other. Or are we supposed to move next to each other too? Cut the slice in two and put half on each plate.

That's cheating. One plate or nothing. Which is it?

In case you don't get my point. In a crowded restaurant if you've got two plates it looks like you're eating separate items. No sexuality image question with that. Both you picking at the same dainty cake TOGETHER, you're projecting a certain image. That's just the way it is. And THAT is the question in the poll. Not your dodge.

You never said it was a dainty cake. that's out. That's right out, on your own, with a mate, two forks, one fork, one plate, or two. One with a fork, and one with a fork'n' spoon, no way. Not at all. No dainty cakes.

A big slab of cheesecake, maybe.

Dainty cupcakes, absolutely not.

The dainty cake descriptor was simply meant as a dramatic flourish in one of my posts.

I certainly didn't mean to limit the poll question to dainty cakes only.

Really totally butch cakes would be included as well, whatever a totally butch cake looks like.

Click for the gif!

http://elreyart.com/fp/gay-cake.gif

In situations such as these, I like to think of what my heroes would do...

Would the

share a custard pie?

SC

• Like 1

I would share cake with a guy, i don't care if people think I'm gay. Cake tastes delicious.

That's sweet. I don't even desire cake any more. Boo hoo.

I just thought of another question. Would you (men) share a slice of cake (on one plate) with a woman? I had to think about that for a moment. The last time I did that was with a much older woman friend who doesn't look at all like my mother. So I did it and would again (that is if I ever actually desire cake), but I have to admit it was a little creepy thinking other people might think I was her boy toy!

Edited by Jingthing

one day in the US northwest woods the riggin' crew is out in the brush at lunchtime...and the riggin' slinger (who's wife was known to be a dyno-mite cook and baker, her folks ran a popular workingman's cafe in Coos Bay) extracts a piece of magnificent chocolate cake from his lunch box and the rest of us fall silent...

and I sez: 'that looks awful good...' and then, rather than snarl in logger fashion 'git yer own ye goddam POS' he silently broke off a good sized piece and handed it over...

I was shocked and forgot what the cake was supposed to taste like...no plate or forks but not would I would describe as a homosexual scenario either..

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I just thought of another question. Would you (men) share a slice of cake (on one plate) with a woman?

This now qualifies as entrapment.

And it depends on the placement of the plate, how much whipped cream and how many strawberries are involved.

Sorry about the CAPS

With The New Yorker/Sadaris quote.

I see it was removed.

Completely unintentional and just an

Oversight, a Shortage if you will,

On my part.

Why would one post an interesting New Yorker quote and then intentionally capitalize or resize it to have it removed?

This makes no sense, does it?

I just copied the quote directly from The New Yorker online version.

And I did not think about font size, how short or tall,

And then the quote was removed

For my own good I know.

Edited by OldChinaHam

Inspired by an interview with David Sedaris on the Daily Show.

That was a classic interview, it was a book promotion interview, but they got so side tracked with the weriod folks wanting a signing, they never got to mention the book. Yesterday it was online. David was not even trying to be funny, but it was a real cracker.

Indeed. The cake story resonated with me thinking about the times I've shared a slice of cake with another man in U.S. restaurants; yes, people including wait staff give you that look of knowing.

Isn't it just possible JT, it wasn't sharing the cake that was the clue?

Not really. It could be for others.

I used frequently to share cake with my brother in law in coffee shops in Germany without either of us feeling that we were even noticed, never mind thought to be gay.

I used frequently to share cake with my brother in law in coffee shops in Germany without either of us feeling that we were even noticed, never mind thought to be gay.

I said multiple times I can only speak for the USA in this regard. As far as brothers, sometimes people look like brothers and yes that would tend to mitigate assumptions.

Edited by Jingthing

I said multiple times I can only speak for the USA in this regard. As far as brothers, sometimes people look like brothers and yes that would tend to mitigate assumptions.

It's unusual to have a strong family resemblance with one's brother-in-law, though, except in some of the rugby league strongholds of Yorkshire

• Like 2

JT if you meant this to be only about Americans you ought to have made that clear; on the other hand if you want opinions from non-US people that's what I was trying to give you. I don't have any siblings, my brother in law and I don't look alike in any way - I'm taller and much heavier.

JT if you meant this to be only about Americans you ought to have made that clear; on the other hand if you want opinions from non-US people that's what I was trying to give you. I don't have any siblings, my brother in law and I don't look alike in any way - I'm taller and much heavier.

Sorry I misread brother in law. I NEVER said this topic was only for Americans. I only said I can speak only for Americans. In fact I have made it quite clear I wouldn't assume other countries would see the cake sharing the same way as Americans. Sorted.

BTW, I think my comment which you just reacted to would make more sense in the CONTEXT of your original comment. But please this isn't worth dwelling on. Comments from all nationalities welcome.

Edited by Jingthing

Don't tell me there are 3 or more men now eating this cake ... sick.gif

Waiter ... check please!