Jonesing For A Juice?

BngkkB

Like everything in LOS there's good and bad, and good one day and not the next depending on the server etc..so is hard to recommend...

Make sure they use fresh fruit, there's no reason to be using reconstituted packaged juice in this country....to me that's half the battle..getting the fresh stuff..

Good luck..smile.png

Edited by andreandre

OP,

Thanks for enriching my vocabulary with the expression "jonesing". Guess I won't use it often though, doubt if even native speakers who are not North American will understand it.

Oh...almost all restaurants have mango shake, watermelon shake and so on the menu, it is chopped up fresh fruit having done its swing in the mixer with crushed ice. I always request not to add sugar.

Where to find a good Juice Bar in Phuket?

The only good one I know of is in Thalang. 300m west of the Thalang Intersection turn left between the Tesco Express and 7/11. It is right across from the Power Gym.

It is the only Juice Bar on the island that I have found with WheatGrass shots.

It's clean, reasonable. By reasonable I mean it's about 70 Baht a juice. I think wheatgrass is 60 Baht a shot.

Free WiFi also………..

Edited by beer101

"Jonesing" is quite commonly used by youth in Canada and the US (and has been in use for at least 10 years from my personal experience here).

Forum Rules.

" English is the only acceptable language, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed "

No mention of urban slang from US, Canada or any other country. coffee1.gif

A worldly lot you are! I don't know of any fresh juice places around here though. I remember we had juice bars in California back in the '60s. And the term Jonesing has been around since back then as well...

• 1 month later...

Not sure what the big deal is about "Jonesing"? I have heard it since my college days many many years ago.

I found a place the other day that had really good juice. They also had a complete pictorial history of the monarchy of Thailand on the walls that was cool as all I ever see is the usual photo's of the current King but this showed a lot of Thailand's history. The place is Detox Juice Bar.

No big deal about jonesing. People are just surprised as it seems an overall not very well known expression.

Apparently non-native English speakers but also many native speakers never heard it before.

So makes people wonder. That's all.

As a non-native speaker I would expect to have heard it somewhere used, if not in direct conversation then on TV or in a movie.

Especially if you look at the origin that the Urban Dictionary states you would expect it to appear in movies:

Jonesin 728 up, 170 down
A word used to describe an intense craving for a drug. Comes from Great Jones Street in New York City, between Broadway and Lafayette Street, a former junkie hangout.
I'm jonesin' for some coke.

The Urban Dictionary definition was mentioned earlier by another poster.

Jonesin is most likely slang used by junkies, then others start using the word and 'corrected' the street language into the grammatically correct jonesing and started using it for other things than drugs. Like fruit juice!

• Like 1

The guy uses urban slang.

From the Urban Dictionary:

the juice

1. Steroids; substances used to increase muscle size and hasten growth; can result in mood swings as well as abnormal testosterone levels
He may not be looking for a refreshing drink.
  • Like 1