Montclair Wine

GiantFan

6 minutes ago, topt said:

Big C certainly used to have a range of 3 Spanish wines from the same producer including a basic Tempranillo but they had disappeared (in my local) last time I looked. I will have to go look again.

I'll have a look in Big C Patong.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, madmitch said:

Nice to see this thread back where it belongs, despite Keithpa's post (not sure if it's a joke, a troll post or serious).

I spotted this new Montclair variety in Villa the other day. It did seem a bit overpriced when I can get a perfectly acceptable McWilliams Shiraz for 500 baht. 

I was looking for a reasonably priced Tempranillo but failed to find anything suitable. Any suggestions?

Ill drink to that.

15 hours ago, madmitch said:

Nice to see this thread back where it belongs, despite Keithpa's post (not sure if it's a joke, a troll post or serious).

I spotted this new Montclair variety in Villa the other day. It did seem a bit overpriced when I can get a perfectly acceptable McWilliams Shiraz for 500 baht. 

I was looking for a reasonably priced Tempranillo but failed to find anything suitable. Any suggestions?

Will ask around, what is your price point ish???

49 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Around 750 baht. Spanish or Aussie. I have noticed that Wine Connection have some on their online store.. 

Have seen some basic Rioja (mainly Tempranillo) on sale at the big Super Cheap store for around 550 baht a bottle. Worth a try?

PS. Worth a read.......http://www.bbc.com/news/business-41728536 

World wine shortage, esp from European wine producers, so perhaps stock up on your Spanish wines?

Edited by xylophone

16 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Have seen some basic Rioja (mainly Tempranillo) on sale at the big Super Cheap store for around 550 baht a bottle. Worth a try?

PS. Worth a read.......http://www.bbc.com/news/business-41728536 

World wine shortage, esp from European wine producers, so perhaps stock up on your Spanish wines?

I hate that shop!

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

Wish I could find a Rioja in Pattaya at that price to try. Tesco Lotus have one of their range Rioja's at 799 baht which is not bad - but I balk at paying nearly £20 equivalent for something which is only average at best.

3 hours ago, topt said:

Wish I could find a Rioja in Pattaya at that price to try. Tesco Lotus have one of their range Rioja's at 799 baht which is not bad - but I balk at paying nearly £20 equivalent for something which is only average at best.

I think the one you are talking about is the Rioja Gran Riserva 2010 (or was it 2013?) and that's a good/fair price for a Gran Riserva here, BUT I really didn't rate this one at all!

Edited by xylophone

On 03/02/2018 at 9:40 AM, madmitch said:

Around 750 baht. Spanish or Aussie. I have noticed that Wine Connection have some on their online store.. 

I was in Villa Market today and had a quick look round, and the only Tempranillo I could find was 799 baht, so a little on the high side.

I was however shocked to see another addition to the Montclair range and this time from my beloved New Zealand – – Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc! It is the genuine article as it does not say fruit wine on the back label and in the extremely small print it says bottled by Siam Winery, and it has the orange tax sticker on it suggesting it was not imported as wine.

It is highly likely that both this and the Shiraz I mentioned previously are brought in as grape juice/must in sealed or refrigerated containers thereby getting round the alcohol tax/duty, before being fermented in the winery here.

This one was 699 baht per bottle, and it's about the same price as a New Zealand produced and bottled wine of the same ilk, so I know which one I would try if I was going to.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, xylophone said:

This one was 699 baht per bottle

They are taking the proverbial in a big way if it really is as you say.

Tesco Finest I think is the same and Branscott was only 730 baht.

Edited by topt
typo

11 hours ago, topt said:

I did see a Montana (NZ) SB for less than this, so agree with your sentiments topt.

Not only that some research suggests that once the crushing has taken place the resultant juice/must begins to deteriorate from that time until fermentation, which in a winery is only a very short time, but shipping to another country??

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/02/2018 at 10:56 PM, topt said:

Certainly are at this price, although I was in Tesco Lotus today and didn't see any of it around, although they were well stocked up with the everyday Montclair stuff?? On that note, I did see the large glass bottles of Montclair at around 799 baht in Big C, but not sure if they were 2 or 3 L bottles?

On the subject of wine in general, in Tesco Lotus I still like their Tesco selected wines and have very much enjoyed the Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, the Late Bottled Vintage Port and the Carmenere, though not so much the Faugeres and the Rioja Gran Riserva, BUT I did weaken the other day and decided to buy their Chateauneuf du Pape at 1055 baht.

Tried it last night, and I was disappointed. This because I have been a long-time fan of Chateauneuf du Pape and have tasted some excellent vintages from some great producers, and although this 2015 year was supposed to be a very good year, this really didn't live up to my expectations, mainly because it was nowhere near as full-bodied as others I have tasted previously and have liked, so perhaps that is my style, whereas this isn't.

I did look at some tasting notes on a website and although there were some who were praising it, there were quite a few comments about "not being as full-bodied as would have hoped...........etc".

For what it's worth, it would be my guess that this wine, which is always a blend of grapes, was weighted more towards the Grenache and Mourvedre grapes as regards content, thereby making it a little on the "lighter" side.

For what it's worth, I can't recommend it and will not buy again.

I just posted on another thread, because the other evening I tried a fruit wine from Australia (NSW) called Charles Strong (a friend brought it along to a dinner) and it does say that it is a blend of grapes and fruit, however it would one of the better I have tasted in this category and at 199 baht a bottle, it could well be one I turned to if needs be!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Certainly are at this price, although I was in Tesco Lotus today and didn't see any of it around, although they were well stocked up with the everyday Montclair stuff?? On that note, I did see the large glass bottles of Montclair at around 799 baht in Big C, but not sure if they were 2 or 3 L bottles?

On the subject of wine in general, in Tesco Lotus I still like their Tesco selected wines and have very much enjoyed the Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, the Late Bottled Vintage Port and the Carmenere, though not so much the Faugeres and the Rioja Gran Riserva, BUT I did weaken the other day and decided to buy their Chateauneuf du Pape at 1055 baht.

Tried it last night, and I was disappointed. This because I have been a long-time fan of Chateauneuf du Pape and have tasted some excellent vintages from some great producers, and although this 2015 year was supposed to be a very good year, this really didn't live up to my expectations, mainly because it was nowhere near as full-bodied as others I have tasted previously and have liked, so perhaps that is my style, whereas this isn't.

I did look at some tasting notes on a website and although there were some who were praising it, there were quite a few comments about "not being as full-bodied as would have hoped...........etc".

For what it's worth, it would be my guess that this wine, which is always a blend of grapes, was weighted more towards the Grenache and Mourvedre grapes as regards content, thereby making it a little on the "lighter" side.

For what it's worth, I can't recommend it and will not buy again.

I just posted on another thread, because the other evening I tried a fruit wine from Australia (NSW) called Charles Strong (a friend brought it along to a dinner) and it does say that it is a blend of grapes and fruit, however it would one of the better I have tasted in this category and at 199 baht a bottle, it could well be one I turned to if needs be!

" a blend of grapes and fruit ",  grapes are a fruit.

27 minutes ago, keithpa said:

" a blend of grapes and fruit ",  grapes are a fruit.

This has been discussed many times on this and other threads.............wine can be called wine (internationally accepted standards), if it is made purely from grapes, however if it is blended with other fruits or juices, it has to be called fruit wine.

Or if it is made entirely from a different fruit, then it has to have the name of that fruit on the label, i.e. Mulberry wine.

Edited by xylophone

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

Thanks for the reviews - you had to pay a reasonable price in the UK for C de Pape so not really surprised the Tesco one was underpar - bit like the Rioja but at least it is cheaper!

I saw someone else mention this Charles Strong so with your semi thumbs up (:wink:) I will have to give it a try.......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, topt said:

Thanks for the reviews - you had to pay a reasonable price in the UK for C de Pape so not really surprised the Tesco one was underpar - bit like the Rioja but at least it is cheaper!

I saw someone else mention this Charles Strong so with your semi thumbs up (:wink:) I will have to give it a try.......

$8 a bottle. Dont you mean a glass? Nobody in Oz drinks $8 bottles of wine.

34 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Why don't you read the thread if you are interested in the subject, otherwise why don't you carry on posting your usual drivel in other places?

Good response MM and having seen some of that "drivel" I will now push the "ignore button" so won't be able to see his posts.

3 hours ago, Argus Tuft said:

Plenty of very quoffable bottles in Oz for $8, one of my favourite NZ Sauv blancs is an $8 branded bottle from BWS/Dan Murphys and similar.

Don't assume that "Nobody in Oz drinks $8 bottles of wine", just because you fancy yourself as a wine snob

Quite right, plenty of good and cheap wine in Oz as as Eeezergood has said, Cleanskins, for a start..........then Nottage Hill Shiraz, Cifford Bay SB, De Bortoli Pinot Grigio, Yalumba Merlot and many more at under $8 pb.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/02/2018 at 10:56 PM, topt said:

I just had a look at the premium range of Montclair again topt, and the wines I mentioned before and indeed a Langhorne Creek Shiraz from Oz (not a fruit wine) are now priced at 549 baht per bottle.

If it is a genuine Langhorne Creek Shiraz, then I may give it a try, because there are some lovely wines made in that area. Maybe they have seen the light with regards to their extortionate pricing or the rich family which owns Siam Winery have managed to talk to the Customs and Excise people in a friendly manner behind closed doors!

On 03/03/2018 at 6:10 PM, xylophone said:

I just had a look at the premium range of Montclair again topt, and the wines I mentioned before and indeed a Langhorne Creek Shiraz from Oz (not a fruit wine) are now priced at 549 baht per bottle.

If it is a genuine Langhorne Creek Shiraz, then I may give it a try, because there are some lovely wines made in that area. Maybe they have seen the light with regards to their extortionate pricing or the rich family which owns Siam Winery have managed to talk to the Customs and Excise people in a friendly manner behind closed doors!

Snag.........the bottle has an orange sticker so made and bottled in Thailand, again by Siam Winery!!

Would be a good bet that they import the grape juice, ferment and bottle it here. If so I wonder what the finished product will be like??

And Langhorne Creek produces some good wines, so why export the juice. Perhaps from a contract grower or oversupply; who knows?