Postal Theft

seajae

Just come from the local post office where I queried why 2 replacement visa cards have not arrived, first one was sent 8 weeks ago and the second one 4 weeks ago. They actually told me that if they were not registered then they would have been stolen(and sold by now) and if I expect to receive the next one to have it registered as that way they can find out who is stealing them and make them appologise, not replace the cards or loose their job. With this menatality it is easy to see why Thailand is such a backward country at times, I love living here but get continually frustrated by the lack of concern shown by those in govt positions.

• Like 2

Very frustrating, not having them arrive at their destination.

Annoying, to say the least, that they seem not to really care to take any action over the thief.

Personally, I'd not have a bank card sent from my home country any other way than DHL or similar. Too much risk. Then maybe the added problem of the bank not being too happy about having lost - in your case - 2 Visa cards.

More expensive to have them sent via DHL or similar, but safer.

• Like 2

You like to send a credicard from your home country to Thailand?

Use a express service! (FedEx or UPS or DHL Express) sure this coast a little bit more but it's more safe then normally mail!

• Like 1

DHL wouldn't let me send credit/debit cards a few years ago, I don't know if they have lifted this restriction yet.

I thought that cards had to be activated on receipt these days.

the banks have stopped the 2 different cards abnd will issue a third, I have asked them to register it, fingers crossed.

The DHL-Story ends at Bangkok. After that, it will be turned over to the Thai-Postal-Service for final (inland) distribution.

Cheers.

When i used Fed Ex it was Fed Ex that5 delivered it.

and when DHL is used it is DHL which delivers it. i get at least once a month a DHL document shipment.

• Like 2

Many people have reported sucess sending things in.the mail. I've had two packages stolen one many years ago and another very recently (domestic from Suvanabum airport). Suspect that any farang name on the pkg and there is high likelihood ot will be stolen. Imsgine experience shows letters = catds = jackpot.

Thai people are very honest but the bureauctatic class just sees it as their right to steal whether parcel, bogus fine, Immigration "fees", customs, land...list is endless really. Kleptocracy.

DHL wouldn't let me send credit/debit cards a few years ago, I don't know if they have lifted this restriction yet.

I thought that cards had to be activated on receipt these days.

...activated...

That's my understanding too, but I have little doubt that professional credit card / ATM card thieves know a methodology to achieve activation or circumvent the process.

I'm aware from a discussion a couple of weeks ago with my bank manager (here in Thailand - big branch - manager speaks perfect English - high profile Thai bank) that banks are very concerned about the big jump in theft of ATM / Credit Card numbers and theft of PIN numbers and are struggling to invent something to stop the theft.

Edited by scorecard

The DHL-Story ends at Bangkok. After that, it will be turned over to the Thai-Postal-Service for final (inland) distribution.

Cheers.

and when DHL is used it is DHL which delivers it. i get at least once a month a DHL document shipment.

It may well be that the sticker on the package still reads DHL. But final delivery by your local postman?!

But at any rate, I am happy to hear, that you get regular and reliable international mail service on a monthly basis.

Importing cheap cigarettes from Europe?cheesy.gif

Cheers and no offence.

Never had problems with post until I moved to Koh Chang. The post office there is clearly corrupt, and foreign mail is misplaced or stolen. No longer send it direct to my house, and just collect from my head office on the mainland.

• Like 1

For the last seven years I've exclusively used registered air mail from the UK to Thailand and from Thailand to the UK.

With no problem - until recently.

A few months ago a registered air mail letter I sent from Thailand arrived at the destination address in the UK. The contents (no monetary value) were intact but the envelope had been torn open and re-sealed crudely with sellotape.

There was no explanation with the letter: for example, no rubber stamp or note with it saying something like 'opened in error' or 'received in this condition'.

It could've happened in Thailand or the UK.

I only send or receive a handful of letters/packages each year but it's slightly worrying.

Cheers.

It may well be that the sticker on the package still reads DHL. But final delivery by your local postman?!

But at any rate, I am happy to hear, that you get regular and reliable international mail service on a monthly basis.

Cheers and no offence.

The few times I received something via DHL or FEDEX, the guy who delivered it drove a vehicle with the DHL or UPS or FEDEX logo on it and the person who asked me to sign for the item was wearing a uniform that belonged to that company.

I've never had any problem with things sent or received via the Thai Post Office, With regard to credit cards, I have them sent to my US address and someone there puts them in a new, handwritten envelope along with other things and sends it on by regular airmail. If it's sent directly to Thailand by the bank it's probably more obvious and more tempting ... and these things do pass through various postal systems en route, not just the one in Thailand. I find the USPS is getting worse by the day.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

As said if you order FedEx or DHL to an area they serve (such as Bangkok) they deliver it themselves.

As for mail have a card sent me every other year normal unmarked mail without incident for a decade now so they are not all taken by any means. We do provide a small New Year gift to Post/Garbage workers each year. But post office has no way to check unless registered or EMS sent and there is probably just as much chance of it having been taken prior to arrival in Thailand than here.

If you have relative address you can use for accounts home address probably best to do so and have them forward by registered mail or courier service rather than depend on bank itself. But the risk is to Bank rather than you if from US or many other countries with strong protection for consumer.

• Like 1

Have used U.S. mail, registered mail, for credit/debit cards twice with no problems.

70% of packages sent to me from people in the U.S. have never arrived.

I once sent my wife a letter with money in it from the states. The letter was delivered, but the money had been removed!

Stupid me, I was lucky they delivered the letter!

When in the states I purchased many, many things online. good quality, lower price!

Have been tempted to purchase online from Thailand since I have had so many problems with bad quality things sold here and stores unwilling to make good on replacing defective merchandise.

I know if I order anything of quality online in Thailand it will go home with the postman and I will never see it.

These thieves should be put in prison.

Oh, wait! This is Thailand, it's like tea money, they are entitled to it!

Sorry!wai2.gif

• Like 1

I sent my additional credit card in a plain envelope with registered mail from USA to Thailand. I did not activate that card until after the person in Bangkok received the mail. I will send another additional card to Thailand again in a plain envelope with registered mail but this time the card has already been activated. I contacted the credit card representative to have the card monitored (Temporarily suspended the account) until the card is delivered to the person in Thailand.

Cheers.

Cheers and no offence.

Unless the local postman is driving the DHL van it is definately DHL that delivers to my door.

Cheers.

Cheers and no offence.

The Fed Ex / DHL van pulls up at your door. The man gets out in his uniform from his van that has Fed Ex / DHL written all over it. You sign a Fed Ex / DHL form.

No, he does not look like the local postie on his little m/c at all. cheesy.gif

This is why Thai banks print and activate the cards with your details in The branch, as for my UK bank I have them send my cards to my parents address & pick them up on my annual visit.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

seems like there are a lot of unsatisfied customers here, a mate up north told me 2 parcels went missing in the post to him so he organized for the third to be registered and it still didnt arrive. The investigation showed it had been signed for, by the postman, he had kept all 3 packages and sold them, he still has his job, all he had to do was appologize. Same with my boxes that were delivered here last year, heaps of stuff went missing going through customs, I suppose we have to remember that this is Thailand and graft/theft is allowed/expected to happen here, we just have to accept it.

Cheers.

As others have pointed out this isn't true, DHL uses employees for every stage of the delivery.

Perhaps you got confused with EMS, which is indeed delivered through the countries' postal systems.

You like to send a credicard from your home country to Thailand?

Use a express service! (FedEx or UPS or DHL Express) sure this coast a little bit more but it's more safe then normally mail!

quite a few banks in my home country flatly refuse to mail anything sensible to Thailand; a simple way out for credit cards: have them mailed by your bank to a relative / friend in your home country who then cares for a secure way into Th.

• Like 1

Tip of the month.

I had my creditcards (among other items) NOT delivered at my home adress in NK

Had a chat with the Manager of EMS post, and he suggested a PO BOX

so i did.

since then I hardly miss anything anymore.

treu story!!!!!!

• Like 1

I had a package that was being delivered by DHL, they kept tell me it was delivered and I kept on telling them it was not. I found out later on that to the DHL person delivered means handing it over to the post office. DHL does not deliver to rural areas. That's a fact Jack. But the FEDEX truck been to my home a number of times.

Edited by Nowhereman60

Cheers.

As others have pointed out this isn't true, DHL uses employees for every stage of the delivery.

Perhaps you got confused with EMS, which is indeed delivered through the countries' postal systems.

As I live some 400km from BKK, DHL turned it over my new iPad to Thai Post in BKK, but kept tracking it. I went to the local post office last Saturday morning, and picked up three boxes which weren't going out for delivery until Monday - even though all three said they had been delivered on the tracking interweb thingy. You learn after a while how to make sure you get a parcel.