Thailand Ranks As The Ninth Most Terrorism Prone Country

webfact

Thailand ranks as the ninth most terrorism prone country
By Coconuts Bangkok

ter.jpg
The aftermath of a 2011 bomb attack in Yala

BANGKOK: -- Thailand has been ranked number nine in a list of the world’s countries most prone to terrorist attacks. The ranking came courtesy of a British-based firm that specializes in terrorism insurance and risk management.

Aon Plc, in its latest global ranking, has given Thailand a rating of four out of five in its risk map. Almost daily attacks by separatist militants in the Deep South contributed greatly to Thailand’s high position.

Aon considers terrorist attacks a foreseeable risk. In its announcement, the company did not mention any part of Thailand other than the Deep South.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/05/16/thailand-ranks-ninth-most-terrorism-prone-country

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-05-16

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bulldog Yoobumroong will be up and biting some ankles

I think they give him a new stick to chomp down on every morning these days.

Shouldn't the headline read "Southern Thailand................ prone area"

Little bit skewed to state the whole country.

• Like 2

amazing that Afghanistan doesn't make the top 10 -

(or maybe they've missed one out as there are only 9 countries listed in the top 10!)

India, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Russia, Somalia, Syria, Thailand and Yemen.

Edited by Haddo

(or maybe they've missed one out as there are only 9 countries listed in the top 10!)

According to Aon, the top-10 countries at risk from terrorism are, in

order, Afghanistan, India, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Russia, Somalia,

Syria, Thailand and Yemen.

The 'coconuts' article "quotes" the Bangkok Post, but the Bangkok Post article has Afghanistan at the top of the list.

• Like 1

The 'coconuts' article "quotes" the Bangkok Post, but the Bangkok Post article has Afghanistan at the top of the list.

Yes, "Coconuts" have left off the number one country from the list. Obviously a quality website. dry.png

• Like 1

The article states "... Deep South contributed greatly ... " so account may have been taken of the situation in 2010 when the reds happily set fire to central Bangkok and caused mayhem in other parts of the country and no doubt would get into it again if given the word.

But Chalerm said those in the south were not terrorists! And those that tried to burn down central were not terrorists. When will the rest of the known world get around to seeing the same as Thailand? That's why Chalerm said farangs know nothing of Thailand whistling.gif

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 2

More rockets being launched at planes in Isaan than Gaza nowadays!

Money talks, bull shxt walks. this country is for sale for the rich and powerful.

That's a pretty scary bunch to be sharing a top ten with.

• Like 2

I can't wait until a Govt. so and so comes out and either says a) this survey is rubbish, or B) request that Thailand be taken off the list because they are working hard to improve the situation.

While the reality is that probably Thailand does deserve to be here and very little is/can be done by the authorities. Second hand GT 200 Bomb Detector anyone? Works as new!

I have often wondered why there have not been more attacks in Bangkok. It would seem that if you want to move the agenda ahead, that being seperatism, you would start attacking the head, Bangkok. The government seems to be fine with the problems in the south, as long as they stay in the south. Will we see more attacks in the capital in the future?

• Like 2

And that doesn't include the taxi and jet ski thugs that have terrorized tourists in Phuket for a decade.

And, dont forget the bus drivers.

And the vans and motorbikes everywhere! Thailand would be at least at 3rd or 4th ranking.

It's a bit misleading naming a whole country as terrorist prone.

Absolutely. It should have been 'Terrorism-prone'. Don't want to give the impression it's in a horizontal state. Is it something like prone to catching colds or some such? I'm prone to being terrified, lately.

Edited by MaxYakov

I have often wondered why there have not been more attacks in Bangkok. It would seem that if you want to move the agenda ahead, that being seperatism, you would start attacking the head, Bangkok. The government seems to be fine with the problems in the south, as long as they stay in the south. Will we see more attacks in the capital in the future?

Don't believe their has even been one terrorist attack in BKK associated with the issues in the deep South, or for that matter any other areas of Thailand other than the Southern provinces

I find it hard to belief that the great USA is not even listed .... every day some idiot discharges his/her gun in a school or at a march, of flies a jet into a tall building or sings country and western songs....

You must not understand the definition of the word 'terrorism.' It's ok, you can google it and you will see why gun violence does not necessarily equal terrorism... unless that was a sarcasm font... then my bad!

• Like 1

Don't believe their has even been one terrorist attack in BKK associated with the issues in the deep South, or for that matter any other areas of Thailand other than the Southern provinces

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2102012/Bangkok-terrorism-threat-Iranian-bombers-WERE-planning-attack-Israeli-diplomats.html

So I guess this was associated with other issues ... a rather dubious distinction I'd say. Notice how the 'I' word is carefully avoided in the OP article. Did Thailand get a relatively lower ranking due to it's high-security and law enforcement capabilities, I wonder? Or is it that it suffers from a serious terrorism-gap on a volume basis (transportation sector excluded, of course)?

Edited by MaxYakov

I guess that is my poorly worded point. In other countries where you see terror attacks, the attacks are not usually limited to one area. If the issue is trying to make a new state for a certain religious idea, wouldn't you put more pressure on the government by attacking the power base? After years of attacks and bombings the situation remains the same. So why not try a new tactic? It just seems a little strange to me.

Of course it is.....with the benign belief that "we're Buddhist so we don't confront anybody" attitude it's a recipe disaster, for being run over....let's see - most Islamic countries grow poppies while their people are starving for susistance. While the Islamic "Empire" grows.

Meanwhile Thialand is a veritable horn of plenty food production wise and a pacifistic society just waiting to be trod over. The march of Islamic intent is slow and persistent as the march for acceptance and understanding/enlightenment is constant and ongoing. Guess which one gets lost in history.

In the larger scheme of things there is a reason why the Islamic Jihadists are slowly gaining land mass after land mass after land mass ......... they have the will and the persistence (and growing numbers) to overwhelm and capture.

There is a real danger in what is happening now in the south.......

Wake up and smell the Lamb Kabobs

I find it hard to belief that the great USA is not even listed .... every day some idiot discharges his/her gun in a school or at a march, of flies a jet into a tall building or sings country and western songs....

What's singing Country and Western songs got to do with terrorism? Was johnny Cash, George Jones or Merle Haggard terrorists?

What's singing Country and Western songs got to do with terrorism? Was johnny Cash, George Jones or Merle Haggard terrorists?

Has anyone got a sense of humour that possum could borrow for a bit?

According to Aon, the top-10 countries at risk from terrorism are, in

order, Afghanistan, India, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Russia, Somalia,

Syria, Thailand and Yemen.

And what do all these counties have in common I wonder. I am surprised Thailand is number nine, but the US is 72nd in health and we spend more then anyone on healthcare.

Was thinking about going to Laos to retire until I realized they have 80 million unexploded bombs left over from the millions of bombing missions in the sixties and seventies. Suddenly Thailand appears a little safer now for those hikes.