David Beckham Has Announced His Retirement From Professional Football

Lite Beer

RT@SkyNewsBreak: David #Beckham has announced his retirement from professional football

RT@BBCSport: In a statement, David Beckham says: "I feel now is the right time to finish my career, playing at the highest level,"

RT@GordonFarquhar: Beckham: "nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure."

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Beckham to retire from football at end of season

Former England captain David Beckham is to retire at the end of the season.

The 38-year-old signed a five-month deal at Paris St-Germain in January and donated all of his salary to charity.

Beckham joined Manchester United as a 14-year-old and made 398 appearances, winning six Premier League titles and the Champions League.

"I'm thankful to PSG for giving me the opportunity to continue but I feel now is the right time to finish my career, playing at the highest level," he said.

Full Story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22558393#TWEET758032

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2013-05-16

good riddance. epitome of everything that's wrong with football now. glad to see the back of the walking billboard.

Hahahahaha. ( oh have a pint La ) biggrin.png

redrus

In his prime at Man United he was a vital cog in the team. Was not particularly adept at going past anyone and was poor with is head but made up for it with his vision,crossing and energy.If you watch some of those past games he had one of the best engines ever. The media circus that surrounded him may or may not been of his own making but you can't take away from his talent and committment.

I hope he stays in the game, in a positive way, and not just strolling around the world being a celebrity. Could certainly,with his bank account, buy a smaller club and has intimated in the past that the US may be where he would consider a move to pursue that.Mrs Beckham,however, may have the final say. SAF ,Scholesy now Becks.......like a set of dominoes.

Good on him, he can concentrate on his first job now......., being David Beckham.

Fair play to him though, top lad.

redrus

I heard he gonna move to Samui and stay there on a retirement visa.

Good on him, he can concentrate on his first job now......., being David Beckham.

Fair play to him though, top lad.

redrus

I heard he gonna move to Samui and stay there on a retirement visa.

Possibly, he already owns a house there.... ;)

redrus

good riddance. epitome of everything that's wrong with football now. glad to see the back of the walking billboard.

Yeh and gave all his salary from PSG this season to charity....

Yeah, nothing but a tax dodge, post #7 is spot on, a effin tosser, wont be missed.

• Like 2

Yeah, nothing but a tax dodge, post #7 is spot on, a effin tosser, wont be missed.

Bitterness, seriously, or just jealously that you're either a) not him or b-) that he didn't play for your club because I am certain, 101% that if he had, your view would be different.

Ridiculous, pettiness..... blink.png

redrus

Notice how his English elocution lessons have paid off for him now?

B, I am thankful I aint him, imagine having to go back and face that cow he is married to every night.

C. Martin O Neil wasted enough money at my club, best thing they ever did was get rid of him and his route one football, just when you thought MM couldnt get any worse.

Notice how his English elocution lessons have paid off for him now?

B, I am thankful I aint him, imagine having to go back and face that cow he is married to every night.

C. Martin O Neil wasted enough money at my club, best thing they ever did was get rid of him and his route one football, just when you thought MM couldnt get any worse.

She can't that bad sunbeam, but let your silly media made judgements continue.wai.gif

And, whichever club it is, could be a few with O'neil as manager, they would have done far better with Beckham in that team and you 'would' have a different view. I've said it twice now, I don't expect you'll climb off your soapbox though so, thanks for the invaluable input to the thread.

redrus

I think that this is probably the most ridiculous post that I have ever read on TV>

you haven't been trying very hard then have you?

Stevie would rather have the diving and cheating that is Luiz Suarez not forgetting the racism and biting!!

YSB.

Personally, my interest in footballers doesn't go too far beyond what they do on the pitch and their football careers, and unless they are hitting the News pages because of run-ins with the laws, making appearances in court and such, i really don't hear about them, as i don't allow myself to get exposed to all this media titter tatter nonsense about them, or to all the gossip column crap about which underwear model they are currently shagging.

People who judge David Beckham almost entirely by what does in that side of the media, and seem to hate him for it... well, it seems to me that these people are their own worst enemies, and i can't help wondering why it is that they carry on exposing themselves to this sort of crap. It's really not that hard to avoid you know?

Edited by rixalex

Personally, my interest in footballers doesn't go too far beyond what they do on the pitch and their football careers, and unless they are hitting the News pages because of run-ins with the laws, making appearances in court and such, i really don't hear about them, as i don't allow myself to get exposed to all this media titter tatter nonsense about them, or to all the gossip column crap about which underwear model they are currently shagging.

People who judge David Beckham almost entirely by what does in that side of the media, and seem to hate him for it... well, it seems to me that these people are their own worst enemies, and i can't help wondering why it is that they carry on exposing themselves to this sort of crap. It's really not that hard to avoid you know?

Personally i'm just sick of seeing him and his misses plastered over the papers, on tv, billboards et al. I just can't understand the media interest. Its bizarre.

I like to remember a young Beckham under Ferguson's charge. Dedicated professional, no toothpick of a spice girl hanging on, Back then he was a real footballer not a media celeb.

• Like 1

I think that this is probably the most ridiculous post that I have ever read on TV>

No its not. Read Mr Ed's posts

Personally i'm just sick of seeing him and his misses plastered over the papers, on tv, billboards et al. I just can't understand the media interest. Its bizarre.

I like to remember a young Beckham under Ferguson's charge. Dedicated professional, no toothpick of a spice girl hanging on, Back then he was a real footballer not a media celeb.

indeed. and the last time he was a proper footballer was under mister ferguson. who got rid the moment he realised what beckham was becoming.

he was an excellent football player at united. since then he's just been a mannequin rolled out all over the place for hawking shirts and merchandise. total and utter corporate, media and celebrity whore. not been a footballer for years.

• Like 1

Lets give some credit to SAF, he was astute enough to see the circus that Brandname Beckham had become.

Becks can put whatever spin on it he wants, I wonder if he regrets those wasted years in America?

Or was the money more important to him than football?