Si Sa Ket School Faces Disciplinary Action For Toddler Death

webfact

School faces disciplinary action for toddler death
The Nation

30206346-01_big.jpg

SI SA KET: -- The management of a Si Sa Ket school where a child fatally suffocated in a pick-up truck on Tuesday will also face ministerial disciplinary action, if the vehicle in question is found to have operated as a school vehicle, the Office of the Private Education Commission said yesterday.

The school is already facing criminal prosecution.

Among the criteria that will determine if the pick-up truck was serving as a school vehicle, is whether it was used to regularly pick up other students. This does not mean the vehicle needs to be registered as one belonging to the school, said secretary-general Bundit Sirphutthangkoon.

Under Education Ministry regulations registered school vehicles - whatever the type - must meet strict safety regulations and undergo constant maintenance. An ongoing inspection to identify the actual use of the pickup truck used by Uthumphorn Witthaya school is underway and expected to be complete soon.

Bundit said he was "very angry" at a death under similar circumstances, after the OPEC issued a statement to all private schools across the country to take extra caution in preventing such accidents recurring. A similar incident took place at a Samut Prakan school early last month, when a three-year-old girl eventually died after being left in a van parked outdoors.

In Si Sa Ket, three-year-old Suriyakorn "Potter" Thajan, died on Tuesday after being left in the passenger cab of a pickup truck used by Uthumphorn Witthaya school for seven hours. Driver Amphika Phetnam, who turned herself in to police and was released on bail, has not yet been charged with any offence.

Speaking to reporters at a police station, Amphika admitted to totally forgetting that the boy fell asleep in the vehicle while she was driving and gave a promise to compensate his family with civil damages.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-17

related topic:

Toddler Dies After Being Left In Thai School Bus

SI SA KET: -- The management of a Si Sa Ket school where a child fatally suffocated in a pick-up truck on Tuesday will also face ministerial disciplinary action, if the vehicle in question is found to have operated as a school vehicle, the Office of the Private Education Commission said yesterday.

The school is already facing criminal prosecution.

Among the criteria that will determine if the pick-up truck was serving as a school vehicle, is whether it was used to regularly pick up other students. This does not mean the vehicle needs to be registered as one belonging to the school, said secretary-general Bundit Sirphutthangkoon.

I mean seriously???? Just playing dumb and act like as if the identification of a licensed school bus was in question all if a sudden, just in order to pick a scapegoat.

It WAS a freaking school bus....

Definition of "ministerial disciplinary actions": pay under the table behind closed doors, the most face saving way, and forget about the case...

• Like 2

Another terrible tragedy that should never have happened but consistent with the slapdash way things are done in Thailand.

Unfortunately this unnecessary death would not be complete with the appropriate official statement containing approved buzz words such as " strict safety regulations " and " constant maintenance " with the last phrase being especially ridiculous. Even if such things are actually laid down there's not much chance they will actually be observed.

"........must meet strict safety regulations...."

That will be a passenger safety compartment with crumple zones and side impact bars complete with forward facing seats and seat belts just for starters. And don't forget the driver training program with monitoring process.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

An unbelievable story, indeed. Rest in peace, little kid......more tears in heaven. How should the parents understand that?

I know this teacher and I wouldn't like to know how she's feeling now.--wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

I see Thailand is still using the old inkpads to take fingerprints. We did away with that years ago, prints are now scanned and automatically entered onto the database.

Well ain't this typical.

The problem is with the vehicle now is it. The vehicle will be fitted with some sort of alarm if some innocent little kid is left inside to cook? This is typical 'thainess' - completely obscuring the real problem which lies with inadequate measures to ensure these things do not happen. It is not difficult and there are a myriad of ways to prevent if not all - then the vast majority of these incidents. How hard can it be for the ministry to lay down guidelines and require some sort of enforced safety regimes to protect children - not just from cooking inside a bus through complete neglect but also from attack from other kids or undesirable adults or maybe even kidnap.

This problem is with the people - not the vehicle. By the way I am not saying that vehicles should not be maintained just that, that is not he issue.

Amphika admitted to totally forgetting that the boy fell asleep in the vehicle while she was driving and gave a promise to compensate his family with civil damages.

All sorted then. dry.png

Yep case closed, a few baht in the pocket and then it off to the cot to make a new kid.

Amphika admitted to totally forgetting that the boy fell asleep in the vehicle while she was driving and gave a promise to compensate his family with civil damages.

All sorted then. dry.png

I am unsure what she thinks compensation should be. You could offer me a trillion dollars for one of my children and the answer is no so there is no price on the loss of one. Perhaps if she were locked in a car during the mid day sun for just two hours so she would understand the suffering the child went through for seven hours before dying.

• Like 1

All sorted then. dry.png
I am unsure what she thinks compensation should be. You could offer me a trillion dollars for one of my children and the answer is no so there is no price on the loss of one. Perhaps if she were locked in a car during the mid day sun for just two hours so she would understand the suffering the child went through for seven hours before dying.

Indeed, no amount of money would make this one go away.

A teacher making a run around on their pick up represents a school bus?

You bet she was getting paid for it, so yes.

Well, if I was the school owner I would deny ever having given any teacher permission to do so, and case closed. Edited by Thai at Heart

Well, if I was the school owner I would deny ever having given any teacher permission to do so, and case closed.

So you would knowingly lie on oath to avoid taking any responsibility for something that would definitely have been your responsibility! There are a few people on TV who have said my conduct on this forum is sometimes undeserving of my name, but with a line like that you are 100% deserving of yours. Seems your integration is complete, congratulations.

"........must meet strict safety regulations...."

That will be a passenger safety compartment with crumple zones and side impact bars complete with forward facing seats and seat belts just for starters. And don't forget the driver training program with monitoring process.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In Thailand? you gotta be joking. As long as it's got a motor, a steering wheel and 4 wheels separating the body from the road that would pass muster.

And as for the 'driver training program' what planet did you say you were from? cheesy.gif

Under Education Ministry regulations registered school vehicles - whatever the type - must meet strict safety regulations and undergo constant maintenance

Yap, and I am Santa Klaus. cheesy.gif

Well then scumbag where my bloody bike I asked for last year?wink.png

Well, if I was the school owner I would deny ever having given any teacher permission to do so, and case closed.

So you would knowingly lie on oath to avoid taking any responsibility for something that would definitely have been your responsibility! There are a few people on TV who have said my conduct on this forum is sometimes undeserving of my name, but with a line like that you are 100% deserving of yours. Seems your integration is complete, congratulations.

That is what they will do. It came across badly. Sorry.

But i have to say, is there any school that regulates teachers doing the school run? It happens everywhere in Thailand.

That is what they will do. It came across badly. Sorry.

But i have to say, is there any school that regulates teachers doing the school run? It happens everywhere in Thailand.

Thank you for having the balls to clarify your stand point. I retract my intentionally obtuse comment (it wasn't very Gentlemanly :D see I told you!)

did anybody see the news yesterday afternoon channel 3? 3bht.buses packed to the rafters kids hanging on to the roof at the back and a policeman waving them into the school grounds.health and safety they dont know the meaning of the words.