Skimming – What To Look For

chrisinth

No, finished the last of them over a year ago.

This is more about regular ATM/debit cards than credit cards.

What do you use traveler's checks?

I deposit an overseas cheque into my Thai bank a/c once in a while, and withdraw baht as required.

Nothing on earth would convince me to use an ATM card- device of satan, IMO.

Fine if you are disciplined enough or never out late....

What happens if you suddely need more cash then you have on you at that point?

Personally I prefer the flexibility but each to their own.

<What happens if you suddely need more cash then you have on you at that point?>

Never happened to me in LOS, but if it did, I'd just do what I did before ATMs were invented.

You have piqued my curiosity sir - care to say? smile.png

I try and use only ATM,s at a bank and not one on a street in the middle of nowhere as they are easy for the Crims to alter.

I have some strict rules about my cards:

ATM - only at a branch, only inside and if possible only local pull. Air Asia via netbook/modem.

Debit Cards:

Only at AEON ATM machines, local.

Only Internet websites I throughly trust, connection via my netboook/modem. Only after running half dozen av and malware programs. Usually limited to Airline tickets.

ATM in US:

Maximum pull at local branch. Use cash.

Travel Outside Thailand DCs:

Airport is first pull, preferably in secure area. Most trusted bank. Outer area, high traffic with inspection. In town, ATM inside bank or at least glassed in. Carry USD as backup. Get money at airport so you can be particular about the next withdrawls.

Why court disaster?

Edited by bangkokburning

To those that ask...what if you need more...

You don't. You budget and be on the lookout for a proper ATM. You can gauge your spending quite easily. Twenty years of traveling, never been in a real bind.

Of course, if you do not manage your holiday money well or suddenly fancy yourself in a bar with a b3000 tab and promise to take two hookers bsck to your room, that is another story.

Planning and budgeting is not only good for your wallet but also the safety of your cards.

Travelers Checks - just folly. No one takes them, bad rates and in Thailand excise tax.

<What happens if you suddely need more cash then you have on you at that point?>

Never happened to me in LOS, but if it did, I'd just do what I did before ATMs were invented.

I try and use only ATM,s at a bank and not one on a street in the middle of nowhere as they are easy for the Crims to alter.

The question was aimed at thaibeachlovers who said he did not use ATMs and whatever he did before ATMs were invented........coffee1.gif

No, finished the last of them over a year ago.

This is more about regular ATM/debit cards than credit cards.

What do you use traveler's checks?

I deposit an overseas cheque into my Thai bank a/c once in a while, and withdraw baht as required.

Nothing on earth would convince me to use an ATM card- device of satan, IMO.

Fine if you are disciplined enough or never out late....

What happens if you suddely need more cash then you have on you at that point?

Personally I prefer the flexibility but each to their own.

I see from your smily face that you are pulling my leg, LOL.

I doubt anyone on this forum can't remember a time before ATMs, PCs and "social media" ( Lord, how I despise that term ), young people that think they would just die if they don't have a phone glued to their ear, and all the other trappings of the digital age.

You don't. You budget and be on the lookout for a proper ATM. You can gauge your spending quite easily. Twenty years of traveling, never been in a real bind.

Of course, if you do not manage your holiday money well or suddenly fancy yourself in a bar with a b3000 tab and promise to take two hookers bsck to your room, that is another story.

Planning and budgeting is not only good for your wallet but also the safety of your cards.

Travelers Checks - just folly. No one takes them, bad rates and in Thailand excise tax.

You must be confused about TCs in LOS. Every forex booth and bank takes them in most places, get a better rate than cash and only 30 baht commission ( as against 150 for using an ATM ), so I only used large denomination TCs.

I used TCs while I was a tourist here over many many years without any problems.

You must be confused about TCs in LOS. Every forex booth and bank takes them in most places, get a better rate than cash and only 30 baht commission ( as against 150 for using an ATM ), so I only used large denomination TCs.

I used TCs while I was a tourist here over many many years without any problems.

Most other SEA countries do not accept. Few yrs ago was in Phils, guy tried cashing at a bank. Teller did not even know whatva TC was. Then, I have heard only AX are accepted, then you have (on US100) a tax of no less than 1% + whatever the checks cost upfront. Finally you have the fact the ink is not waterproof.

Most other SEA countries do not accept. Few yrs ago was in Phils, guy tried cashing at a bank. Teller did not even know whatva TC was. Then, I have heard only AX are accepted, then you have (on US100) a tax of no less than 1% + whatever the checks cost upfront. Finally you have the fact the ink is not waterproof.

Sorry, I thought we were discussing Thailand banking.

I can only state again that in many many years I never had a problem using TCs in LOS.