Ok, This One Is For The Nrl Fans

Good comeback and result for the Tigers, TW! You must be well pleased with that.

Yes, though I'm a bit distant from it all now. If I was still living there, I would have gone.

Was glad to see Melbourne win too.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it's a waste of time having another Brisbane team in it. They should have another go in Adelaide or Perth rather than trying to move in on an established team's turf. The Crusher's didn't last long previously.

Given the youth population and growth forecast for Ipswich, I would have thought that it would be a more logical location for that Team.

For those who don't know ... maybe a comparison would be between Ipswich and Parramatta?

I think it's a waste of time having another Brisbane team in it. They should have another go in Adelaide or Perth rather than trying to move in on an established team's turf. The Crusher's didn't last long previously.

The Crushers where doing ok but they needed to cut teams when the super league war ended; they basically got screwed by the ARL as they where promised everything when they stayed with the ARL instead of jumping to super league, then got turfed at the first moment (sorry if I sound a bit bitter but one of my dad's good friends was involved high up with the Crushers and he was shattered when they got kicked out and never got over it).

The reason for making a second team in Brisbane is not about expanding the game in Adelaide/Perth but instead buttressing the 'heartland' as they say. Keeping AFL out. The NRL clapped their hands with glee when they put a second team in Sydney for the AFL. they know how hard a market it is their and knew how much money the AFL would go through trying to make a start of it. You can argue against it but that is the thinking behind it. I personally think that the next markets should be the Central Coast and Brisbane as the demographics for those markets (young, growing families) make it very attractive if they can get in their and establish themselves before anyone else. The Central Coast in particular is crying out for a local team, the crowds they get to soccer are very large for a sport that most families don't follow.

Also the reason Manly kept their identity better is that they are no longer part of a merged team; the merged team was disbanded and the Bears where kicked out of the competition and Manly allowed to stay in. Not sure how/why they where allowed to stay in but not the Bears but a lot of Bears supporters I knew in Sydney have never gotten over it and refuse to support RL to this day. Hopefully if they bring a new team into the competition it will be on the Central Coast of NSW and they will be called the Central Coast Bears as has been mooted a lot in the press

The reasons Manly stayed in the comp and not the Bears were quite a few. Larger crowd numbers, globally known (within RL stakes), financially better off, far more succesful and lets not forget the team everyone (besides us Manly supporters) loves to hate! This hatred alone (began by Roy Masters and his Wests), still lives on and is great for the game.

I am all for the Central Coast Bears! I have voiced many times in polls and to others how I wish this was the next team included. Big area, big Rugby League following. Alas, looks like we are heading for another Brisbane team. I like the idea of a Papua New Guinea side too. Talk about passion. This country has its highest amount of beheadings around Origin, grand final time depending on which team they support, crazy!

As for the Bears would the old north Sydney crowd commute and watch them play at their new location?

If it was a team from PNG what would would they call them? The Headhunters?biggrin.png

I personally think that the next markets should be the Central Coast and Brisbane as the demographics for those markets (young, growing families) make it very attractive if they can get in their and establish themselves before anyone else. The Central Coast in particular is crying out for a local team, the crowds they get to soccer are very large for a sport that most families don't follow.

The North Sydney Bears were one of the least supported and least successful clubs in the NRL. They also attracted very poor crowds to their home games (the exception being with Manly). Where they are located, it is not a Rugby League area, rather it is wealthy and the catchment of juniors was very very low. When I was at school in the seventies almost no one supported North Sydney (or Penrith).

The Bears were all ready to relocate to the Central Coast, plans well underway, when the superleague war ended and their relocation plans became part of history. Basically they were insolvent around this time. So instead of relocation they did an ill advised merger with Manly , becoming the Northern Eagles, that joint venture lasted 2 years.

The NRL has been a tad neglectful in not having a Central Coast team, or have one relocate. The area is League mad, with about 4 games currently being played at the stadium in Gosford, but having Souths or Manly come for a local game is not the same. You will struggle to find any AFL game showing at a pub or club on Rugby League game day. In Sydney proper venues will show both.

They use the same stadium for the local Soccer team, Central Coast Mariners, and they get reasonable crowds and have been very successful. They do run on a bit of a shoestring though.

North Sydney added the name the 'Bears' after a sponsorship deal with the local shopping centre at Neutral Bay called the Big Bear

When the mergers were in the air, I was thinking that if Balmain had to merge, I would rather it was with Norths. To me a Penrith-Wests merger would have made more sense; Wests having left Lidcombe decades earlier.

For a while, Norths were Melbourne's NSW lower grade team, so I would see them as the warm up game when Melbourne played in Sydney.

When the mergers were in the air, I was thinking that if Balmain had to merge, I would rather it was with Norths. To me a Penrith-Wests merger would have made more sense; Wests having left Lidcombe decades earlier.

For a while, Norths were Melbourne's NSW lower grade team, so I would see them as the warm up game when Melbourne played in Sydney.

The West Tigers merger didnt make a lot of sense from a Fan point of view.

Having Wests as a standalone Campbelltown club, servicing the area made sense. Penrith and Campbelltown can both support their own clubs. The focus there should have been for Rugby League to lock in these areas which are historically Rugby League land..Lots of young families, new housing, plenty of scope for juniors. They need their own individual clubs with local identity.

It would have made more sense for Balmain and Souths to have merged and have become the Inner West Club

My earliest memories of league are from that hill just in front of the score board from 1976. In those days there was no main stand on the other side, just a low stand with benches.. We had flood lights so Leichhardt was considered state of the art and was used for the televised midweek night time cup games..

• 1 month later...

Michael Ennis of Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs... Whenever I watch the Dogs play this fellow is constantly barracking the referees. Does he get a few more penalties than other clubs or has there been a backlash from the men in pink and therefore they award more decisions against his team, provoking even more complaints from him. What do you think of the fellow. Would he be an asset in your sides or should he keep his mouth shut, more often?

• 5 weeks later...

Glory Glory to South Sydney. Fantastic attitude from the forwards, especially. The priceless moment was that overweight blonde lady in purple shouting 'bullshit' when Melbourne had that try disallowed. Up the Rabbits, Ripstanley and all the other South fans.

They'll probably be a backlash from Melbourne. They looked a bit flat on Friday but they can't play any worse .However Newcastle Knights looked very solid against the Dirty Doggies and they have a bit of momentum. It's going to be pretty tight.

Michael Ennis of Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs... Whenever I watch the Dogs play this fellow is constantly barracking the referees. Does he get a few more penalties than other clubs or has there been a backlash from the men in pink and therefore they award more decisions against his team, provoking even more complaints from him. What do you think of the fellow. Would he be an asset in your sides or should he keep his mouth shut, more often?

+1

Michael Ennis ... I'm not a fan

They'll probably be a backlash from Melbourne. They looked a bit flat on Friday but they can't play any worse .However Newcastle Knights looked very solid against the Dirty Doggies and they have a bit of momentum. It's going to be pretty tight.

Don't know if you watched the Storm/Knights game but ...

... one of the best, if not the best game (SofO excepted) this year.

Ripper of a game.

Yes, Saw the game and you're right David it was a 'ripper'. Even the seagulls stopped eating and turned round to watch it. Great commitment from 'Dad's Army' to keep Melbourne at bay. However I fear they might have picked up a few injuries and strains for the Roosters game.By the way the best games I've seen this year were the first Rabbitohs game against Manly, a low scoring game but a fantastic effort from the forwards and the Manly/ Roosters game last week or so. It looks like Manly might be a bit worn out against the Bunnies and I think it's going to be a South Sydney v Roosters final. .

Newcastle v Easts.. I wouldn't tip against a Bennett team, though I haven't forgiven him for the 2005 Tri nations disaster or helping NZ to lift the world cup!

I lost money on that game ... dry.png

I never forget Slater's 'throw in' from the side line.

Newcastle v Easts.. I wouldn't tip against a Bennett team, though I haven't forgiven him for the 2005 Tri nations disaster or helping NZ to lift the world cup!

I lost money on that game ... dry.png

I never forget Slater's 'throw in' from the side line.

At least it was Benji that scored. My favourite NZer, though it's a pretty short list, and I could never hold a gudge..

Alright so it's Manly v The Chooks. How do you see this one going? After watching Manly crush the Mighty Souths, I'm beginning to think that something was put in Manly's tank at half time.Have they taken on Lance Armstrong as special advisor? If they keep up this level of intensity, then they could win the thing. What do you think? Will it be another super tight, low scoring game or an end to end try bonanza? I'm not a fan of either side but it would be a major achievement if Manly can pull it off without the help of the chemist, of course.

Alright so it's Manly v The Chooks. How do you see this one going? After watching Manly crush the Mighty Souths, I'm beginning to think that something was put in Manly's tank at half time.Have they taken on Lance Armstrong as special advisor? If they keep up this level of intensity, then they could win the thing. What do you think? Will it be another super tight, low scoring game or an end to end try bonanza? I'm not a fan of either side but it would be a major achievement if Manly can pull it off without the help of the chemist, of course.

I hate Manly as they stole most of the Souths stars in the 1970s. Eastern Suburbs stole the rest, Therefore I have to go for the Roosters as they stole the least.