Saving Face - Thailands Biggest Problem

thhMan

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You say saving face is a "non aggressive behavior"? So when a bus driver crashes a bus because he's drunk or driving erratically and many people die, then he flees the scene because he' "SAVING FACE" That's acceptable behavior?

• Like 1

I do agree about idiot drivers around this country but it's nothing to do with saving face because Thais tend to avoid argument if possible. The problems here are lack of discipline and law enforcement.

"But they continue to make the same idiotic mistake over and over and if I dont say something, it continues"

Why don't you talk privately with them? Talking privately cannot solve the problem? It's nothing about saving face but it's embarrassing to all people not only Thais when their mistakes are exposed to crowd. Why 15 years old bullied american girl committed suicide if she didn't care what people think after she was exposed having been raped then taped by four boys? It was not even her fault. In fact, she'd lived her life normally 1 year before the tape was posted on Youtube. She could stand being raped, not the tape. Why?

"it does explain why public officials get transferred instead of sacked...

Official get transferred out of the area until the case is proved. If he stay in the position, his influence might affect the process.

• Like 1

I do agree about idiot drivers around this country but it's nothing to do with saving face because Thais tend to avoid argument if possible. The problems here are lack of discipline and law enforcement.

"But they continue to make the same idiotic mistake over and over and if I dont say something, it continues"

Why don't you talk privately with them? Talking privately cannot solve the problem? It's nothing about saving face but it's embarrassing to all people not only Thais when their mistakes are exposed to crowd. Why 15 years old bullied american girl committed suicide if she didn't care what people think after she was exposed having been raped then taped by four boys? It was not even her fault. In fact, she'd lived her life normally 1 year before the tape was posted on Youtube. She could stand being raped, not the tape. Why?

Official get transferred out of the area until the case is proved. If he stay in the position, his influence might affect the process.

Your wrong about the driving and face. coffee1.gif .

• Like 1

Your wrong about the driving and face. coffee1.gif .

Correct. Thai law prescribes to drive in the leftmost lane, unless you are overtaking another vehicle. So, it is the OP who currently is mistaking "face" for "law-abiding" behavior. This being said, I avoid the left lane on Sukhumvit, not because of drivers coming out, but because of the numerous cars parked in that lane.

i have a friend (thai) who is going to marry because his best friends wife introduced him to her sister , took her for about a month and then the father told him he will have to marry her ,So he is going to do that , does he love her ...no ..

save face yes

Very common here upcountry for the "punishment" for sleeping with a young girl is for the man to marry her, and often the girl doesn't have much to say about it.

Sometimes even when the event would be called a rape by western standards.

Just touching or kissing can lead to the man's family having to pay the girl's. Often the local BiB are called in to help the families negotiate the penalty.

If the boy's from a wealthy family they can just pay a financial settlement without them having to get married - imagine the girl's relief.

Still I wouldn't lay the blame for all these cultural differences just on "face", that's a bit simplistic isn't it.

Very common here upcountry for the "punishment" for sleeping with a young girl is for the man to marry her, and often the girl doesn't have much to say about it.

Sometimes even when the event would be called a rape by western standards.

Just touching or kissing can lead to the man's family having to pay the girl's. Often the local BiB are called in to help the families negotiate the penalty.

If the boy's from a wealthy family they can just pay a financial settlement without them having to get married - imagine the girl's relief.

Still I wouldn't lay the blame for all these cultural differences just on "face", that's a bit simplistic isn't it.

Yes it is simplistic...

But it explains a lot ....

Have you ever made a judgement called that was against what you thought was right, just to avoid embarrassment either to yourself or others?

I do all the time when my kids say that I am a good papa.... when I know deep down... I am an excellent papa smile.png (Its a poor attempt at humor)

Edited by thhMan

My mum grew up in the German countryside, and says bourgeois culture there was just the same, nothing more important than what the neighbors thought.

McMansions, fancy cars, not exactly immune to the phenomenon in the West are we?

Sorry, may not have been "Transam" who Posted

"Official get transferred out of the area until the case is proved. If he stay in the position, his influence might affect the process."

but I can't Edit the Thread.

Anyway - it's nonsense to suggest that simply transferring someone to another Area will negate his influence there; such influence is not confined or personal to one individual, it permeates the whole infrastructure of the local Organisation and will persist and protect him even after he has been transferred to an "inactive" Position.

More importantly however, and to address the main Topic, I really feel that this concept of "Face" - seen by "Farang" as being a specific to Thais - is also total nonsense.

No-one likes to be embarrassed or made to look foolish - English, American, German, Thai - whoever, if you are shamed in public then the feeling and reaction will be similar.

To my mind there is absolutely no difference in the reaction - regardless of nationality.

Patrick

Saving face in Thailand--When Thais see a farang guy with a totally skanked-out hooker and pretends like they are just a normal couple. Just so the farang guy won't lose face. That's pretty decent of them, don't you think?

Well spotted, in fact, it works both ways.

My mum grew up in the German countryside, and says bourgeois culture there was just the same, nothing more important than what the neighbors thought.

McMansions, fancy cars, not exactly immune to the phenomenon in the West are we?

You are so right. Britain in the 70s and 80s - remember the expression "keeping up with the Jones's".