Pig Farmers In Thailand Up In Arms Over U S Pressure

webfact

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about other countries ban Thai pork and see how these folks like it. Price of bacon in Thailand is a joke, actually Thai bacon is full of water and really sucks.

I have to admit Thai bacon is terrible, no meat on it and is only that stringy type. Give me the good Aussie/English style bacon anyday and not the American/Thai style.

Nothing wrong with Danish bacon which is where most of the bacon sold in Australia comes from !

Hang on a minute - The US subsidies its farmers - Never see that happening in Thailand

...and as for bringing down domestic prices - well that's good for the consumer isn't it?

because that would most likely mean that local farmer will have to lower they prices, it will also means they will lower their standards and add chemicals to help nature do her course. The quality of pork (and chicken) is really high in Thailand and I prefer pay few bath more but be able to just pick any pork around and be sure it's not bad for me, one of the reason I left HK where most products you find at the wet markets around town come from China and they are full of crap in it!

It's really puzzling how US pork could be cheaper than Thai pork in the supermarket. What we really need is an investigative article examining the gouging in the Thai pork distribution market channels. That's what makes Thai pork higher, the gouging and the skim in the middle.

The answer is simple.....American farm products are subsidised by their government. This practice did a lot of damage to Aussie beef until the consumers realised that Aussie beef is mostly naturally grass fed and not produced in feed lots using chemicals.

Hang on a minute - The US subsidies its farmers - Never see that happening in Thailand

Thailand sell shrimp to America no problem How about rice

But America sell pork to Thailand NO NO No

Wake up Harry! Not only is US pork production heavily subsidised, but they use dangerous chemicals which are banned in Europe & England...............Eat it if you like Harry, but i don't want to be poisoned.

• Like 2

So how about Thailand refuse US pork

and how about US refuse to import Thai shrimp

If one country uses protectionism the other country will do so

The US govt uses 100% protectionism with their farm products. Plus subsidies. We don't have to refuse the import of US pork, just educate the population of its origins and production processes and demand that they take our rice in exchange.

I have done the whole pig farming lark for 5 years, basically to help a Thai family become self sufficient. There is money to be made but only if the meat price is in your favour, if the price was to become as low as 50baht there would be lot's of small farms go out of business as at that price you would only get the feed price back.

I suppose it's a free world to trade but it would put many out of business, not the larger outfits but the family farmers.

Yes and no subsidies for pig farmers, yet.

perhaps the feed price is too high - a price adjustment has a ripple effect right down the supply chain and so it should

as for US pork - I would prefer not to eating that with the included chemicals - why on earth do they continue to allow it ?????

You don't think they use chemicals here? They do, and many are banned in other places around the world.

So seeing as how you know so much, please name these chemicals ?

So how about Thailand refuse US pork

and how about US refuse to import Thai shrimp

If one country uses protectionism the other country will do so

The US govt uses 100% protectionism with their farm products. Plus subsidies. We don't have to refuse the import of US pork, just educate the population of its origins and production processes and demand that they take our rice in exchange.

I thought the US already bought (premium) Thai rice?? If you're inferring a commodity swap, why would the US want to swap pork for moldy old Thai rice that's been stuck in a 'rice mountain' for the last few years? They have no use for it. Other than maybe feeding it to the pigs.

That last sentence shames and embarrasses me. I never thought i'd see the day when Thai rice, once the envy of the world for it quality and fragrance has now been so badly managed, that most of it is only fit for animal consumption. What a fall from grace.

I have done the whole pig farming lark for 5 years, basically to help a Thai family become self sufficient. There is money to be made but only if the meat price is in your favour, if the price was to become as low as 50baht there would be lot's of small farms go out of business as at that price you would only get the feed price back.

I suppose it's a free world to trade but it would put many out of business, not the larger outfits but the family farmers.

Yes and no subsidies for pig farmers, yet.

perhaps the feed price is too high - a price adjustment has a ripple effect right down the supply chain and so it should

as for US pork - I would prefer not to eating that with the included chemicals - why on earth do they continue to allow it ?????

You don't think they use chemicals here? They do, and many are banned in other places around the world.

So seeing as how you know so much, please name these chemicals ?

Here you go - Have a read

http://www.greenpeace.org/seasia/th/Global/seasia/report/2008/2/agrochemicals-in-thailand-eng.pdf

lots of speculation

Will these pork products be fresh pork to compete with the markets or stores? I seriously doubt it.. Probably just specialty preserved products like other foreign meats. Salami, Italian ham that are expensive and on shelves at Tops, Rimping etc.

Can anyone point to a single US food product or US product that is cheaper or even cost competitive on Thailand shelves??????

It might be coming in cheap but then marked it for higher profit and low volume etc

It's completely hypothetical problem

• Like 1

It's really puzzling how US pork could be cheaper than Thai pork in the supermarket. What we really need is an investigative article examining the gouging in the Thai pork distribution market channels. That's what makes Thai pork higher, the gouging and the skim in the middle.

You're kidding, right?

Read, and weep for those who will come after us...

The junior senator from North Carolina pushed the U.S. Agriculture Department in October to subsidize an effort to boost pork sales in foreign markets.

That same senator, Lauch Faircloth, is one of the nation's leading hog farmers. He raises an estimated 140,000 hogs each year on nine North Carolina farms, and he has more than $1 million invested in two major pork-producing companies.

http://articles.philly.com/1994-12-17/news/25853545_1_hog-industry-hog-farmers-william-canfield

Today, the Obama administration announced yet another massive give-away to the pork industry–in the form of a $100 million buy-up of surplus pork.

This is the same industry that benefits from exports in the billions of dollars due in considerable part to the administration’s unceasing efforts to open markets for the pork industry across the globe.

And this is the same industry that benefits from crop insurance and other support programs for low-cost corn and soybeans used for feed, which is its biggest production cost.

There is no more pampered, government-subsidized industry than Big Agribusiness, and the pork industry wrote the book.

http://hsus.typepad.com/wayne/2012/08/pork-industry-buyup.html

The US pork industry is hoping to be the next sector to benefit from increased government assistance.

The National Pork Producers Council has asked the US Department of Agriculture to spend almost $300 million buying American pork.

Despite the industry's woes, US pork is gaining market share in Australia, with North American imports rising about 30 per cent so far this year.

But if the latest request is approved, Robobank analyst Wendy Voss says it won't just be Australia's pig farmers who feel the pain.

http://www.abc.net.au/rural/news/content/200908/s2667378.htm

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines.shtml?/headlines01/0817-03.htm

Edited by DeepInTheForest
  • Like 1

My pork comes from the local market and the lady gets it direct from the farm a bit further along the road.

As for ham and bacon I make my own.

I ask for thew whole hind leg, deboned and detrotterd and the last one cost me about 840 baht and from that I made about 4 kg of ham and 2 1/2 kg of bacon.

I don't know what went into the pig but I do know and control the ham and bacon and MY bacon has no water or chemical presative and DOESN'T shrink in the pan.

Lunch today was a freshly made bread roll, salted butter from Makro and home made pate made with pigs liver, belly pork and home made bacon.

Edited by billd766

next there be beef that started the life out as horses , best bacon comes from the UK

Funny that ! a couple of years ago an old mate from England visited me in Australia and remarked how nice the bacon was, saying that in England bacon was full of water !

• Like 1

I find the pork which i buy from MAKRO ok ! but do wish that someone could teach Thai butchers how to properly butcher and present their meat products instead of just 'hacking' it into lumps and chucking it onto a heap to be 'hooked' over , often bare handed by Thai shoppers.

• Like 1

I find the pork which i buy from MAKRO ok ! but do wish that someone could teach Thai butchers how to properly butcher and present their meat products instead of just 'hacking' it into lumps and chucking it onto a heap to be 'hooked' over , often bare handed by Thai shoppers.

and making sure that it isnt covered in flies and turning green from age also. I personally love the way they freeze old meat(chicken & pork) then sell it cheap on special, the thais fight over it. As for the thai beef, you have to have an axe to cut it, full of grissle, thais really need to learn they have to feed their animals decent feed not left over crap that is cheap to buy.sick.gif

Don't see what the problem is. Adopt the same standards as Europe and slap a 200% duty to make up for

US agricultural subsidies. No problem

You don't think the EU has subsidies??? Do some research before you post:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agricultural_subsidy

In 2010, the EU spent €57 billion on agricultural development, of which €39 billion was spent on direct subsidies.[1] Agricultural and fisheries subsidies form over 40% of the EU budget.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/nov/26/europe-bung-landowners-farm-subsidies

• Like 1

Love it when the carnivores go at it. LOL...

You need some pork on your fork my friend. The taste of flesh is far better than that of a lettuce leaf.

I only taste flesh of the living thriving female type. Butchered rotting swine doesn't really turn me on. To each his own, I guess.

• Like 2

next there be beef that started the life out as horses , best bacon comes from the UK

Funny that ! a couple of years ago an old mate from England visited me in Australia and remarked how nice the bacon was, saying that in England bacon was full of water !

Actually english and Australian bacon is the same. American/Thai style is the more off cuts or stringy bacon. Australian is very much aligned with England in it's foods

Edited by chooka

Thailand sell shrimp to America no problem How about rice

But America sell pork to Thailand NO NO No

As the old saying goes 'it ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it'. This is not US bashing for those that have already commented such, it is just the way large US corporations work, especially Agribusiness. In Africa, many countries had to import US rice and wheat as part of any other trade deals, or deals involving technology. The US rice/wheat was shipped in at rock bottom prices which put the local farmers completely out of business within a couple of years. Now there is mostly only the US rice/wheat left in those applicable countries and surprise surprise the prices have gone up and there is no local farmers to compete. Those that are willing to try and compete must buy all their seed from Monsanto. If someone in Thailand wants to import US Pork, then that is what the free market is all about, but Thailand should not get caught in being forced to import certain amounts in order that other deals may take place. the US would end up owning the food market here, just as it does in many parts of Africa now.

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 1

They might allow US pork imports but aren't their prices going to be high like other imports?

Wine, Beer and just about everything else imported is stupid expensive.

Seems a lot of hot air as usual

Just apply the same import taxes of 350% as they do with imported cars and every one will simply purchase the locally produced product, maybe apart from a few American expats.

That would be a guaranteed WTO case which Thailand would lose hands down.

The EU has warned Thailand it's in breech of the WTO laws. Do a search on this and you'll see the article.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRTngtsOY8Q

"The move has raised an alarm bell among Thai pig raisers, as the US government subsidises its farmers to strengthen their export competitiveness, which means they can impose lower retail prices than local producers in overseas markets are able to do."

"Americans have been dying in droves from all the ractopamine and carbadox in their pork products /sarc."

To add some credibility to your statements, could you indicate the source(s) of your information please so we can read for ourselves.

Or, as the Thais say "go hoak"!

• Like 1