Pig Farmers In Thailand Up In Arms Over U S Pressure

webfact

Better accept the steroids antibiotics filled corn tasting american pig (pun intendet). Added value would be shop us pork so you can skip the trip to the pharmacy.

Otherwise chanse of foreign aided military-coup with speculations of weapons of mass destruction might lead to ...spreading freedom:bah: WPFflags.gif

And Thailand has such a great reputation with regards to food safety. Remember this:

http://foodsafety.suencs.com/archives/tag/dead-chicken-sale-in-thailand

An outbreak of Newcastle disease is understood to be the main cause of the deaths of tens of thousands of chickens which were then slaughtered and illegally sold on to consumers, restaurants and shops in a food scandal revealed last week.

Livestock Development Department officials in Saraburi province said the outbreak of the disease was nationwide. Livestock authorities in several areas have been trying unsuccessfully to suppress the disease since late last year because of fears it may seriously harm the lucrative chicken export market.

Panya Chotitawan, chairman of Saha Farm Co, said the Nakhon Ratchasima scandal has caused domestic poultry meat consumption to drop by about 10%. Officials are now concentrating on chicken farms in neighbouring Saraburi as the sources of the illegally sold carcasses.

I'd trust food from the US versus food here any day.

• Like 2

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't care, the US may not produce good pork, but those boys sure know how to cook it !!! Buy your ingredients and get ready for the weekend smile.png

It's silly to think that the US or Canada or other developed countries including Australia don't produce good pork. The quality of feed used and the animal breeding science makes Thai pork seem like junk, just like their beef (yuck.) That's not to mention the unregulated, filthy handling of it from farm to market.

Each culture may have a different idea of what makes good bacon or a good breakfast, but the food is safe to eat, and is good in the eyes of each culture.

That picture of BBQ will even vary in the US. Texas and surrounds like a more vinegar taste, and the South likes a sweeter taste with less vinegar and more sweetener in the form of honey, brown sugar, etc. One is called Texas style and one is often called Memphis (South) style.

But it's all really good. Some of the best BBQ I've had is in Canada. They sure know how to raise beef and cook it.

I've never had good beef of any kind in Thailand even thought I've ordered and paid a big price for it.

mmmmmm... Texas BBQ.. making my mouth water to think about it. I gotta admit though, we have some pretty damn good BBQ in Oklahoma also. smile.png

I have heard that chicken is absolutely forbidden to be imported into Thailand, maybe it is the same for pork? So perhaps it is removing this "forbidden" issue, as opposed to just changing the duties. Most of the pork products I can ever remember seeing even though they may be salamis or the such are produced in Bangkok under international sounding names.

I heard that one quite famous Australian pie company is forbidden from importing its chicken pies because of this rule. This all said, is it really feasible that American pork, even at subsidised prices can land in Bangkok for less than producing it here?

As big box retailers extend their reach here - Tesco Express, CP Express, et al. - local town/district wet markets continue to be impacted negatively. Availability (24 hours), perceived quality and cleanliness and price are redirecting traditional food distribution channels here. Changes like this, from traditional to modern, are disruptive, and based on the majority of posts here, quite emotional.

Arguably low volume swine production is (was) already doomed by the larger, factory-style production already in place in Thailand. The associated move to higher-end all-natural pork production and products will take ~ 10 years as that market will be slow to emerge and expand here.

Any posturing aimed at disparaging the quality of foreign products, and protecting the small local landowner seems disingenuous at best, and is primarily motivated by profits - which is OK by the way.

http://www.indexmundi.com/agriculture/?commodity=swine-meat&graph=production

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

It is not about protectionism - America imports Thai shrimp because they are so good - Thailand will not import US drugged pig that poses a potential cancer risk

LOL - it's 100% protectionism, nothing more, nothing less... USA doesn't need Thai shrimp, they catch more and export more from their own mainland. Thailand doesn't need USA pork either, they grow enough substandard product here already.

The issue is free trade based on markets. It's simple, Thailand is happy to export anything and everything to your country so you can by it and they make money. They fall down and cry though when someone wants to import something into Thailand from another country that would compete with a local product. That's not fair trade smile.png - that's one sided selling.

My wife is Thai, we lived in the USA for years and returned to Thailand. She hates the food in Thailand, she used to love it, now she doesn't even eat off the street because she has seen what real quality and sanitary controls are like in a western country. Don't believe me smile.png - - - When is the last time you saw a hi-so Thai eating on a corner market or shopping the local dust bowl market. You don't! They go to major supermarkets with air conditioning and sanitation to purchase their food, even though the food might be questionable even at the supermarket it's still better than the fly infested sweating pork hanging out on the corner of the street with the person that hasn't washed their hands since their last pee slicing you off a slab and dropping it into your soup bowl. smile.png

We could argue this all day, Thai food isn't healthy in most parts of Thailand when compared to western standards, the west have 100% organic raised and grown meats and vegetables available if someone wants to purchase them (you see consumer choices LOL). You can't say that about Thailand at all, the water alone pollutes the fields where the rice is grown, pork is raised, etc.

You can't even drink water from the tap in Thailand without risk to your health and it's somewhat filtered. Now think what the livestock and fields are being watered with, I guarantee it's not bottled water. As they say, you are what you eat smile.png....

In the end though this discussion isn't really about what you eat and the health benefits etc. It's really about money, pure and simple. The little pig farmer doesn't want to lose his business of selling 1-2 pigs a week and he can't afford to change the way he does business because he spends all the money he makes eating, drinking, car payment, living life to the fullest - instead of reinvesting it into his business so that it can grow and change with the times. Everybody wants something for nothing, everybody wants the easy road.

Good post, and true.

Read the farming forum here. There is concern about the lack of regulation of which chemicals can be used, and the improper usage of Thais in spraying among other things. Chemicals that are outlawed in developed countries are used with no license or training.

River water isn't safe to drink, so why would anyone put it on a crop or irrigate with it? Why would anyone give it animals to drink?

Thailand is very polluted and you're right. The food in the food stalls is at best crap even if it tastes good.

We have a Thai owned Thai restaurant maybe 5 miles (7 km) from my house. It's been there perhaps 20 years and is popular. First it took the Health Department warning them and then shutting them down until they cleaned the place up, and repeated warnings and closings until they finally complied. Next it took customers or lack thereof to teach them that they had to put quality food in their dishes.

Chicken had to be recognizable and taste like good chicken and the same with other meats. Shrimp had to have a fresh taste and texture or they had to throw it out. Customers would return it for a refund, something they didn't understand until the law made them understand.

Now they are happy, adjusted, and doing a very good business because their place meets Western standards in all areas. They finally "got it."

How anyone can defend Thailand's food quality is beyond me. It tastes very good only if I keep my eyes closed.

• Like 1

It is not about protectionism - America imports Thai shrimp because they are so good - Thailand will not import US drugged pig that poses a potential cancer risk

LOL - it's 100% protectionism, nothing more, nothing less... USA doesn't need Thai shrimp, they catch more and export more from their own mainland. Thailand doesn't need USA pork either, they grow enough substandard product here already.

The issue is free trade based on markets. It's simple, Thailand is happy to export anything and everything to your country so you can by it and they make money. They fall down and cry though when someone wants to import something into Thailand from another country that would compete with a local product. That's not fair trade smile.png - that's one sided selling.

My wife is Thai, we lived in the USA for years and returned to Thailand. She hates the food in Thailand, she used to love it, now she doesn't even eat off the street because she has seen what real quality and sanitary controls are like in a western country. Don't believe me smile.png - - - When is the last time you saw a hi-so Thai eating on a corner market or shopping the local dust bowl market. You don't! They go to major supermarkets with air conditioning and sanitation to purchase their food, even though the food might be questionable even at the supermarket it's still better than the fly infested sweating pork hanging out on the corner of the street with the person that hasn't washed their hands since their last pee slicing you off a slab and dropping it into your soup bowl. smile.png

We could argue this all day, Thai food isn't healthy in most parts of Thailand when compared to western standards, the west have 100% organic raised and grown meats and vegetables available if someone wants to purchase them (you see consumer choices LOL). You can't say that about Thailand at all, the water alone pollutes the fields where the rice is grown, pork is raised, etc.

You can't even drink water from the tap in Thailand without risk to your health and it's somewhat filtered. Now think what the livestock and fields are being watered with, I guarantee it's not bottled water. As they say, you are what you eat smile.png....

In the end though this discussion isn't really about what you eat and the health benefits etc. It's really about money, pure and simple. The little pig farmer doesn't want to lose his business of selling 1-2 pigs a week and he can't afford to change the way he does business because he spends all the money he makes eating, drinking, car payment, living life to the fullest - instead of reinvesting it into his business so that it can grow and change with the times. Everybody wants something for nothing, everybody wants the easy road.

Good post, and true.

Read the farming forum here. There is concern about the lack of regulation of which chemicals can be used, and the improper usage of Thais in spraying among other things. Chemicals that are outlawed in developed countries are used with no license or training.

River water isn't safe to drink, so why would anyone put it on a crop or irrigate with it? Why would anyone give it animals to drink?

Thailand is very polluted and you're right. The food in the food stalls is at best crap even if it tastes good.

We have a Thai owned Thai restaurant maybe 5 miles (7 km) from my house. It's been there perhaps 20 years and is popular. First it took the Health Department warning them and then shutting them down until they cleaned the place up, and repeated warnings and closings until they finally complied. Next it took customers or lack thereof to teach them that they had to put quality food in their dishes.

Chicken had to be recognizable and taste like good chicken and the same with other meats. Shrimp had to have a fresh taste and texture or they had to throw it out. Customers would return it for a refund, something they didn't understand until the law made them understand.

Now they are happy, adjusted, and doing a very good business because their place meets Western standards in all areas. They finally "got it."

How anyone can defend Thailand's food quality is beyond me. It tastes very good only if I keep my eyes closed.

Chilli stimulates endorphines, no wonder everyone smiles too much here.

Maybe the reason for their anger over the US is in response to this?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/627685-thailand-implicated-in-chinese-honey-laundering-scheme/

Accusations of fake honey shenanigans first came from the US Department of Justice, which pointed out that lots of honey imported to the States from Asia isn’t honey at all, but rather corn sweetner, artificial flavoring an food coloring, mislabeled as an organic product.

What’s worse, these suspicious sweets often contain high levels of lead, toxins and antibiotics.

American bacon compared to Aussie Bacon. I know what I prefer. The Thais would do well to reject the American pork. Full of fat and a heart attack waiting to happen. The Americans have shoved KFC and Macca's into the faces of Thais all for the dollar with total disregard for thier health. Thailand reject American food.....

LOL Chooka. Yes these poor Thais, helplessly being forced to stand in line and order KFC and "McDonalds". Lord please rescue them from the clutches of the evil fast food industry!!

(Macca? You aren't in Ozzieland matey)

Goes to show that at the end of the day, Thailand needs the world more than the other way around. Plenty of pigs around. On the world stage, Thailand has offered jasmine rice and sexy girls, and those are two cards playing much better than pigs.
  • Like 1

American bacon compared to Aussie Bacon. I know what I prefer. The Thais would do well to reject the American pork. Full of fat and a heart attack waiting to happen. The Americans have shoved KFC and Macca's into the faces of Thais all for the dollar with total disregard for thier health. Thailand reject American food.....

LOL Chooka. Yes these poor Thais, helplessly being forced to stand in line and order KFC and "McDonalds". Lord please rescue them from the clutches of the evil fast food industry!!

(Macca? You aren't in Ozzieland matey)

Does Chooka actually think Thai's eat better food? Cooking with palm oil, coconut milk, deep fried, shrimp, squid. They might actually be better off eating at a KFC or McDonalds! laugh.png

Goes to show that at the end of the day, Thailand needs the world more than the other way around. Plenty of pigs around. On the world stage, Thailand has offered jasmine rice and sexy girls, and those are two cards playing much better than pigs.

I agree completely!!!

I dare say if you took the working girls away and most of the bars would close down because over 60% of the tourist if not more would stop coming to Thailand burp.gif .... What else is there really, the temples, they are falling apart or under reconstruction, the food---- uh NO hahahaha.... The beautiful polluted ocean beaches, uhhhhh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...... LOL, the scuba diving, uhhhh nooooooooooooooooo especially if there are no girls at the bars after diving, diving isn't that amazing in Thailand.

Don't need that rice anymore like I don't need that pig hahahaha - I can get the rice in the west and the pig both of which where not raised on polluted water and garbage....

Thailand needs to wake up, the world really doesn't need them, they need the rest of the world to sell stuff to. If everyone pulled out and stopped manufacturing goods here pig import would be the least of their issues... rolleyes.gif Funny thing is that this could really happen, Myanmar (Burma), well lets see most of the workers here in Thailand that are cheap are from this country, over 60% of the workers in the automotive manufacturing in Thailand are from this country. So what happens when Ford, Honda, Toyota open plants up in those countries (Ford already in discussions with the Burma Government), all the Burmees go home and work there leaving Thailand high and dry concerned about importing pig from the USA to compete with the GDP margin of PIGS versus Automotive Manufacturing capital -- hahahahaha.... Thai long term vision not so much but that short term small pig farm, well they are all over it LOL biggrin.png ....

Edited by commande
  • Like 1

My pork comes from the local market and the lady gets it direct from the farm a bit further along the road.

As for ham and bacon I make my own.

I ask for thew whole hind leg, deboned and detrotterd and the last one cost me about 840 baht and from that I made about 4 kg of ham and 2 1/2 kg of bacon.

I don't know what went into the pig but I do know and control the ham and bacon and MY bacon has no water or chemical presative and DOESN'T shrink in the pan.

Lunch today was a freshly made bread roll, salted butter from Makro and home made pate made with pigs liver, belly pork and home made bacon.

No wonder the belly in your avatar is so big.

We all have to die sometime and I would rather go out fat and happy than a thin miserable calorie counter.

• Like 1

So how about Thailand refuse US pork

and how about US refuse to import Thai shrimp

If one country uses protectionism the other country will do so

About your advice:

As a chef in USA before moving to to Thailand in '88 , I can tell you this: The USA buys Thai shrimp because they do not have enough Shrimp of their own , and that goes way back, probably allot more after Katrina and the oil spill disasters. The Gulf has taken a beating in the last 10 years or so !!!

Maybe the reason for their anger over the US is in response to this?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/627685-thailand-implicated-in-chinese-honey-laundering-scheme/

Accusations of fake honey shenanigans first came from the US Department of Justice, which pointed out that lots of honey imported to the States from Asia isn’t honey at all, but rather corn sweetner, artificial flavoring an food coloring, mislabeled as an organic product.

What’s worse, these suspicious sweets often contain high levels of lead, toxins and antibiotics.

My Thai wife won't buy honey from the roadside venders because she says most add water and sugar.

• Like 1

So how about Thailand refuse US pork

and how about US refuse to import Thai shrimp

If one country uses protectionism the other country will do so

About your advice:

As a chef in USA before moving to to Thailand in '88 , I can tell you this: The USA buys Thai shrimp because they do not have enough Shrimp of their own , and that goes way back, probably allot more after Katrina and the oil spill disasters. The Gulf has taken a beating in the last 10 years or so !!!

Actually let's tell the whole story because you are only seeing it from a Chef side at the wholesale level. The USA exports most of the shrimp they catch to other countries because they make more money selling it there, not just shrimp but also other fish, they then import shrimp and other fish from other countries because it's cheaper smile.png - - - It's global markets economics, yea you might argue it doesn't make sense but it's happening right now and has been happening for a long time, easily 30+ years .

Certain companies in the USA like other countries also do the following smile.png - - - a company in the USA on the coast catches fish, they then package it up and ship it to China for processing, then China ships it back to the USA for purchase by the consumer... Funny how all this works hu, it's global markets, the USA isn't the Middle East where as they have almost no Sea Food at all left in the Arabian Gulf. There is plenty of Sea Food located in the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans of which America is surrounded by on the East and West Coast. If that isn't enough the USA goes south to, South America or North to Canada. Sorry there is plenty of Sea Food.

What does Thailand have, oh wait, the Andaman Sea which they have to share with other countries for fishing and the Gulf of Thailand. Not a lot of ocean real-estate considering that most Thai's prefer to eat seafood where in the USA they prefer red meat. Well we also like Bacon, I prefer the English/Australian cut versus the American cut, nice thing is when I am home I can get what I want and no chemicals added if I like... Just ask the butcher at the store dressed in all white clothes, hands washed and working in a very cold environment to ensure the meat stays fresh.

Edited by commande
  • Like 1

Well, I don't care, the US may not produce good pork, but those boys sure know how to cook it !!! Buy your ingredients and get ready for the weekend smile.png

It's silly to think that the US or Canada or other developed countries including Australia don't produce good pork. The quality of feed used and the animal breeding science makes Thai pork seem like junk, just like their beef (yuck.) That's not to mention the unregulated, filthy handling of it from farm to market.

Each culture may have a different idea of what makes good bacon or a good breakfast, but the food is safe to eat, and is good in the eyes of each culture.

That picture of BBQ will even vary in the US. Texas and surrounds like a more vinegar taste, and the South likes a sweeter taste with less vinegar and more sweetener in the form of honey, brown sugar, etc. One is called Texas style and one is often called Memphis (South) style.

But it's all really good. Some of the best BBQ I've had is in Canada. They sure know how to raise beef and cook it.

I've never had good beef of any kind in Thailand even thought I've ordered and paid a big price for it.

mmmmmm... Texas BBQ.. making my mouth water to think about it. I gotta admit though, we have some pretty damn good BBQ in Oklahoma also. smile.png

That actually looks disgusting.

Spot on brother, spot on..... clap2.gif

It's really puzzling how US pork could be cheaper than Thai pork in the supermarket. What we really need is an investigative article examining the gouging in the Thai pork distribution market channels. That's what makes Thai pork higher, the gouging and the skim in the middle.

So It isn't the US subsidies to its pork producers?

I don't think the U.S is to concerned about Thai pig farmers, they couldn't care less if they put them out of business totally as it means more money and wealth for the U.S at the expense of of the little countries. It is all about greed and the dollar.

Do you seriously expect the USA to allow Thailand unfettered access to its markets while the USA encounters trade barriers to Thai markets?

Really?

Trade does not work like that. If a country wants to sell into another market, it must be prepared to allow that market to sell into its own.

You do realize that the US position is no different than other countries and groups don't you? Do you think the EU, Australia, Canada, Russia, China just open their doors and say come on in?

Don't most of these countries refuse to import US pork because they believe it to be a health risk?

next there be beef that started the life out as horses , best bacon comes from the UK

Funny that ! a couple of years ago an old mate from England visited me in Australia and remarked how nice the bacon was, saying that in England bacon was full of water !

That's true to some extent but it's also easy to buy dry-cured bacon - even Prince Charles's produce - in any supermarket.

Hang on a minute - The US subsidies its farmers - Never see that happening in Thailand

Thailand sell shrimp to America no problem How about rice

But America sell pork to Thailand NO NO No

you must have had one too many of those american pork sausages and all of those chemicals went to you head. but the rest of us don't want that poison here not because it's made in America but because it will kill you

• Like 2

Hang on a minute - The US subsidies its farmers - Never see that happening in Thailand

Thailand sell shrimp to America no problem How about rice

But America sell pork to Thailand NO NO No

you must have had one too many of those american pork sausages and all of those chemicals went to you head. but the rest of us don't want that poison here not because it's made in America but because it will kill you

And potentially so will Thai rice:

http://foodsafety.suencs.com/archives/26006

This statement is really scary:

“If you look through the scientific literature, especially on India and China, they irrigate their crops with raw sewage effluent and untreated industrial effluent,” he explained.

• Like 2

This is Thaksin long term plan to push cp around. Cp are monopolist leeches. Lest we also notice which politicians dad is on the board (plus a few other very well connected pooyais) of cp and it's subsidiaries.

So It's Thaksin's fault. Thaksin has coherced the Americans to join him in his master plan for world domination?????

Yes I know you were just having a jokethumbsup.gif

This is Thaksin long term plan to push cp around. Cp are monopolist leeches. Lest we also notice which politicians dad is on the board (plus a few other very well connected pooyais) of cp and it's subsidiaries.

So It's Thaksin's fault. Thaksin has coherced the Americans to join him in his master plan for world domination?????

Yes I know you were just having a jokethumbsup.gif

This is ptp giving it back to some old money. Yes it's politics. All government decisions are politics.

Talking to my son this morning in the US. He is stocking up on ham's for his freezer as right now because after Easter he is able to buy whole hams for 29 cents a pound. This is in comparison to when we owned a BBQ restaurant and paid $3.29 a lb. for ribs, buying $10,000 worth at a time. Just sayin.

Edited by stoli