Things That Grate On You In Pattaya....

blackman

Quelle surprise, no one did this mentioned before. Yes, if I hear this kind of stupid babbling, I really feel a severe pain in my body....

Problem behind this is (beside the disability of many non native speakers to speak a proper English)

The Thai language does not have declension, no tenses, no preposition

So the "sentence": "I go Bangkok tomorrow " is the exact Translation of the Thai sentence

same as

"baby my hungry much"

"farlang belly big drink beer many night yesterday"

it is torturing ...

" rain yesterday very much"

"go sister my Tuesday!

Edited by dieter1

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quelle surprise, no one did this mentioned before. Yes, if I hear this kind of stupid babbling, I really feel a severe pain in my body....

Problem behind this is (beside the disability of many non native speakers to speak a proper English)

So the "sentence": "I go Bangkok tomorrow " is the exact Translation of the Thai sentence

same as

"baby my hungry much"

it is torturing ...

"go sister my Tuesday!

No one is giving prizes away for quality of (English) language spoken. The simplest way to get the point across is the best way. That is the only purpose of a language.

"I go Bangkok" is by far the best way to get the point across.

For example, "I will go to Bangkok today" or "I am going to Bangkok now" are pointless complications.

If you're looking for transport, then just "Bangkok" will suffice.

Thailand is no place for English grammar nazis. Go home!

• Like 1

same as

"baby my hungry much"

it is torturing ...

"go sister my Tuesday!

No one is giving prizes away for quality of (English) language spoken. The simplest way to get the point across is the best way. That is the only purpose of a language.

"I go Bangkok" is by far the best way to get the point across.

For example, "I will go to Bangkok today" or "I am going to Bangkok now" are pointless complications.

If you're looking for transport, then just "Bangkok" will suffice.

Thailand is no place for English grammar nazis. Go home!

I was mainly talking about English people e.g a guy who lives in the same condo, whenever he speaks to me he talks as if I am Thai and can't understand him even though i am English and from the same city too!

It just really tickles me, and as somebody pointed out above its not grating on me, perhaps I should read the thread title more carefully next time!

Anyone who can speak more than one language gets massive respect from me and i would never take the p*ss, my grammar is not the best even though i'm English

• Like 1

People who stand still on moving walkways (up and down) and block others getting through. <deleted> have they lost the use of their legs.

I haven't seen "moving walkways" in Pattaya. All the escalators I can think of here are narrow and not designed for people walking past. What's the rush?

People who stand still on moving walkways (up and down) and block others getting through. <deleted> have they lost the use of their legs.

I haven't seen "moving walkways" in Pattaya. All the escalators I can think of here are narrow and not designed for people walking past. What's the rush?

When I lived in London I was always in a hurry and always walked up escalators, and anyone standing in the way would be (gently) pushed aside with a Londoner's "tut-tut". After 8 years of living here, I've learned that to do this in Thailand is pointless and there is no need to hurry, whatever the situation. I feel a lot better for it too.

When I lived in London I was always in a hurry and always walked up escalators, and anyone standing in the way would be (gently) pushed aside with a Londoner's "tut-tut". After 8 years of living here, I've learned that to do this in Thailand is pointless and there is no need to hurry, whatever the situation. I feel a lot better for it too.

the ones in big c extra and central are wide enough to walk through

however when there are two poeople standing side by side a simple excuse me usually gets a polite step aside by one of them and i am on my way

just as i did yesterday in Big C Extra as i was in a rush as i was late for my hairdressing appointment

going down is normally easier

I've seen many people that after years of interacting with Thais using simplified English, has reduced their vocabulary to 'Me Tarzan, you Jane' level even though they might be speaking to compatriots or well educated Thai staff in 4+ stars hotels, it's patronizing.

Also, people in a hurry to get somewhere, on the road, on the escalator biggrin.png , older people especially, are they so fearful of their remaining minutes on earth that they have to spend every minute like their last?

It's a resort town, who here has a multi-million Baht business that absolutely cannot wait a minute in traffic or whatever?

If I want to be stressed out in traffic, I'd stay in Bangkok.

To be fair, I'm guilty of this too, hurrying down the road trying to catch a movie in Central, and even though I turned up 10 minutes late, the endless ads in the cinema still hasn't finished.

I've seen many people that after years of interacting with Thais using simplified English, has reduced their vocabulary to 'Me Tarzan, you Jane' level even though they might be speaking to compatriots or well educated Thai staff in 4+ stars hotels, it's patronizing

I think most people immediately detect the skill of Thai persons Englishs level, and switch from ThaiEnglish to English when we know Thai person speaks fluent English. Pretty sure all farangs do that, we use different English in 5 star hotel (I'm poor but I once visited a friend in 5 star hotel) , and different when giving a taxi driver directions. But true, it would really be very rude to speak ThaiEnglish to person who is fluent.

• Like 1

Also, people in a hurry to get somewhere, on the road, on the escalator biggrin.png , older people especially, are they so fearful of their remaining minutes on earth that they have to spend every minute like their last?

It's a resort town, who here has a multi-million Baht business that absolutely cannot wait a minute in traffic or whatever?

To be fair, I'm guilty of this too, hurrying down the road trying to catch a movie in Central, and even though I turned up 10 minutes late, the endless ads in the cinema still hasn't finished.

The ads always go on for 20 minutes. No different to when I was in Singapore in the 70s, so not a new thing. Happens in London too.

BTW, Avenues shows the same movies in just as good cinemas at a cheaper price.

The ads always go on for 20 minutes. No different to when I was in Singapore in the 70s, so not a new thing. Happens in London too.

BTW, Avenues shows the same movies in just as good cinemas at a cheaper price.

I try to arrive just after the national anthem, but the 20 minute rule can catch you out sometimes because they may cut them a bit short if the movie is extra long, or for the last screening of the night.

Edited by tropo

Motorbike riders moving off --that run over my toes because they wont dam_n wait 2 seconds for me to walk past angry.png

Motorbike riders who park their bikes sideways across a footpath and then walk off.

People who kick off their shoes right in front of the door instead of leaving them to one side.

Motorbike riders moving off --that run over my toes because they wont dam_n wait 2 seconds for me to walk past angry.png

Motorbike riders who park their bikes sideways across a footpath and then walk off.

People who kick off their shoes right in front of the door instead of leaving them to one side.

motorbike riders who fill a space intended for a car

motorbike riders who whilst waiting at a light, sit on the outer side of their dividing line with their foot in the path of oncoming traffic (don't you just want to run over their feet, i know i do)

PCX riders, especially those who wear a fluorescent bicycle helmet and a wifebeater