Bangkok Set For 2014 Formula E Grand Prix

webfact

Bangkok set for 2014 Formula E Grand Prix
The Nation May 22

30206683-01_big.jpg
The new Formula E car in front of the Grand Palace.

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok was yesterday chosen to host a race in the inaugural season of the FIA Formula E Championship for electric cars next year.

The announcement came during a special unveiling for the first time in Asia of the fully-electric-powered Formula E car, witnessed by Alejandro Agag, CEO of Championship promoter Formula E Holdings (FEH), advisor to the Minister of Energy Pol Maj-General Lattasanya Piansomparn, and Chiruit Israngkun Na Ayuthaya, director-domestic MICE, Thailand Convention & Exhibition Bureau. The Formula E car will be demonstrated again this November in honour of His Majesty the King's 86th birthday.

Bangkok has been added to the preliminary list of eight host cities for its inaugural season - London, Rome, Los Angeles, Miami, Beijing, Putrajaya, Buenos Aires and Rio de Janeiro. The remaining host for the 10-circuit race will be announced in September.

The Formula E cars are being built by Spark Racing Technology (SRT) in collaboration with Renault, with a design that mimics their Formula One counterparts but focuses on ease of control, low cost and weight (780kg), and safety. Tyres are being supplied by Michelin.

The Formula E machine accelerates from 0-100kph (60mph) in 3 seconds and has a maximum speed of 220kph. The car will also serve as a platform for research and development on electric vehicles (Evs), and help boost general interest in EVs for personal use.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-22

Unless the specs have changed battery life is between 15 and 25 minutes. How many laps is that?

Where's the noise?

Perfect recipe for sending a crowd to sleep imho.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"Unless the specs have changed battery life is between 15 and 25 minutes."... so that will be about 20 minutes on the track, about 60 minutes for the pitstop to recharge the battery, and another 10 minutes to finish the race. There you go, about a 2 hour race

Ignore choevy's reply.  It's rubbish.

The batteries are not swapped or charged.  The drivers will switch cars during pit stops.  Very odd.

http://www.fia.com/championship/fia-formula-e-championship/2013/fia-formula-e-championship

Thanks alot for the link. Here's a quote taken from it.

"* Evening: Final race with 3 stints and 2 pit stops

* Pit stop will involve  a change of car: when the battery runs out, the driver will make a pit stop, then will run 100 metres to climb into a recharged car."

Sounds a little farcical to me. Maybe Usain Bolt could drive for one of the teams.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No kidding. I can't imagine they follow through with the 100 meter run. They should do it more like 24 Hours of Le Mans where they just swap out right in the pit area for the team.

I'm very interested to see how this series plays out. I know it's no Formula 1, Indy or NASCAR, but it should be interesting.

• There will be 10 teams – 20 drivers – 40 cars
  • Each team will include 2 drivers and 4 cars
  • e-Prix will be held in 10 cities across the world
  • Racetracks will be in town: 2.5 to 3 km long
  • Cars will accelerate from 0 to 100Km/h in 3 seconds, with a maximum speed of 220Km/h
  • Noise decibel levels: ordinary car=70dB; Formula E=80dB; bus=90dB

Edited by Nisa