Pattaya Haters Posting In The Pattaya Forum

MZurf

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think I would call them Pattaya bashers/haters but over the years I've been here there is certaintly an ever increasing amount of things to talk about that negatively impact life here

Agreed. There is plenty of real negative stuff to talk about and also plenty of real positive stuff to talk about. But on Pattaya bashing, I'm sure most of us know it when we see it, and we see it on this forum quite a lot. MOSTLY from people who do not live here

I write mildly negative posts about Pattaya quite frequently. I do that because this thread is about Pattaya and because I am mildly negative on Pattaya.

But what I would like to know is why so many forum readers/posters then see mild negativity as "hate"? It seems pretty dumb to see mild negativity as the same as hate. Could it be that this forum just has quite a lot of pretty dumb people posting pretty dumb comments? Could it be that Pattaya just attracts many pretty dumb types?

Oh and before some idiot assumes I've never been to Pattaya, or I can't afford to live in Pattaya blah blah blah...I've been to Pattaya many times and I have million of dollars in my bank various bank accounts...blah blah blah

You have made a total of 19 posts including this one, i would hardly call it frequently, i would call it compulsory.

One might start to think you have no other interests in life besides posting negatively about Pattaya.

One might also start to think, that all those millions of dollars might be just a figment of your imagination, just as visiting Pattaya frequently as you claim.

One might also wonder why someone with so much money and negativity would be a frequent visitor to a place which he hates that much

Didn't say i was a frequent visitor, i said I had visited many times....two entirely different things.

I used to visit frequently, now its once or twice a year, more out of habir and nostalgia. a long time ago I liked the place. Now though my feelings are mixed, its osn;t what it was, the people aren't ehat they were, hence the negative posts.

Why did i mention money...because I know very well that the first thing some poster will say is I "hate" Pattaya because I can't afford it...or they may just insist I've never actually visited...either way, I don't come to this boards expecting intelligent or even halfway sensible discussion.[..so its all water off a ducks back.

I am not one of the bashers or haters. But despite being only a 3 hour drive from where I am living, I never felt like visiting, from what I have heard and read about the place. All hearsay, I admit.

So all you Pattaya-lovers, SELL Patts to me. Why should I spend a week in Pattaya?? I am not into the barscene and hookers can be bought locally. wub.png

I encourage you NOT to come and tell your friends NOT to come , traffic is already bad enough

Good point. There seems to be this feeling amongst some people that we need to sell Pattaya to them or come up with a good reason for them to change their negative sentiments. Far better they stay away or better yet everyone can head to lovely Chiang Mai or Phnom Penh for that matter. Those of us in Pattaya will just have to soldier on without them.

• Like 2

Why did i mention money...because I know very well that the first thing some poster will say is I "hate" Pattaya because I can't afford it...

No it isn't.

Oh, isn't it? Then what is it?

Well, there are not too many opportunities on TV to 'mention' that one has over 1,000,000 Dollars in the bank - so, one is forced to be creative.

• Like 1

Why did i mention money...because I know very well that the first thing some poster will say is I "hate" Pattaya because I can't afford it...

No it isn't.

Oh, isn't it? Then what is it?

Well, there are not too many opportunities on TV to 'mention' that one has over 1,000,000 Dollars in the bank - so, one is forced to be creative.

1,000,000 dollars in the bank ? I'd be happy to have 10,000 in the bank :(

1,000,000 dollars in the bank ? I'd be happy to have 10,000 in the bank sad.png

Anyone who thinks you have to be RICH to live in Pattaya is out of touch. OK, compared to Nakhon Nowhere, sure, its all relative.

You also don't need to be rich to live in the US or Europe, but if you want to live the SAME lifestyle in Pattaya as you were living in your homecountry, it will cost you considerably more money.

Anyone who thinks you have to be RICH to live in Pattaya is out of touch. OK, compared to Nakhon Nowhere, sure, its all relative.

You also don't need to be rich to live in the US or Europe, but if you want to live the SAME lifestyle in Pattaya as you were living in your homecountry, it will cost you considerably more money.

That's an abstract concept sometimes. Supposing a poor Thai want to live the SAME "lifestyle" in the USA as in Thailand. He might find getting a daily supply of fried Thailand grubs quite dear there. Normal expats ADAPT to local conditions.

• Like 1

That's an abstract concept sometimes. Supposing a poor Thai want to live the SAME "lifestyle" in the USA as in Thailand. He might find getting a daily supply of fried Thailand grubs quite dear there. Normal expats ADAPT to local conditions.

I have lately noticed a few reports with pictures on this forum from expats who have ADAPTED to extreme conditions.

Let me add to this,There have been umpteen threads lately in the line of, can I survive on 30.000 Baht a month in Thailand.

Well I can survive on much less in Europe or the US, if I adopt to conditions. But that isn't the definition of living is it?":

Edited by jbrain

My rent alone was 50,000 back home.. I think my current lifestyle is way better than back home and I spend less in a month than what I was spending on rent.

It all depends where you are coming from and what lifestyle you had. A beer at my drinking place on soi buhakao is 50 baht, a beer back home at a bar is 210 baht, I went to some crappy disco and a Heineken was 280 baht w00t.gif

For me there are only two negatives to Pattaya:

- Might get jailed in a hellhole for a minor mistake

- Boring to deal with the visa issue

• Like 1

it is so cheap to live comfortably in Pattaya, much much cheaper than even Estonia, Eastern Europe. Everything is cheaper here.. the rent, transport, food, cigarettes, night out, movies, gasoline.

Just try to eat out 3 times a day in Tallinn, maybe cost 30 euros a day, very reasonable restaurant cost, thats 1200 baht. And tahts East Euro, what about Oslo?

it is so cheap to live comfortably in Pattaya, much much cheaper than even Estonia, Eastern Europe. Everything is cheaper here.. the rent, transport, food, cigarettes, night out, movies, gasoline.

Just try to eat out 3 times a day in Tallinn, maybe cost 30 euros a day, very reasonable restaurant cost, thats 1200 baht. And tahts East Euro, what about Oslo?

Go have a meal at any upscale restuarant in Pattaya and you pay triple that for a single meal. Upscale in Pattaya can be compared with average in the western world.

Don't compare foodstalls with restaurants.

• Like 2

Why would I go to upscale restaurant in Pattaya 3 times a day, every day? Do you? Im not talking upscale restaurants, Im talking eating out 3 times a day in a restaurant.

Why would I go to upscale restaurant in Pattaya 3 times a day, every day? Do you? Im not talking upscale restaurants, Im talking eating out 3 times a day in a restaurant.

That's what I told you. If you want to compare you compare apples with apples.

The restaurant which you eat here evry day would probably not be allowed to open it's doors in your homecountry for hygenic and other reasons, so you can't compare it with a restaurant at home.

Im comparing daily expenses here and there. You bring up exclusive, upscale restaurants in Pattaya, and then you tell me apples and oranges.

again, jbrain, everything is cheaper here, and considerably cheaper.. the rent, transport, food, cigarettes, night out, movies, gasoline. Please tell me Im wrong!

Im comparing daily expenses here and there. You bring up exclusive, upscale restaurants in Pattaya, and then you tell me apples and oranges.

again, jbrain, everything is cheaper here, and considerably cheaper.. the rent, transport, food, cigarettes, night out, movies, gasoline. Please tell me Im wrong!

Everything ? Really ?

How about milk, bread , bacon and I'm not talking about a piece of fat but bacon, eggs, ham, salami ?

All local products that are far more expensive here then in Europe.

Yes you rent is cheaper here, but do you think a condo construction in Thailand is about the same as in Europe, quality and appearance wise.

Do apartment buildings in your homecountry also fall apart after 20 years ?

Do you in your hoemcountry also take a taxi on the back of a motorbike or in the trunk of a truck ?

Do you in your homecountry also use buses that are 25 years old and which you're not insured if you get an accident ?

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 2

Can you compare the build quality from your place in your home country with the one you live now ? NO

Can you compare a bar on Soi Buakhow with a Bar in the US where they charge 210 Baht ? NO

Did you know that at Tony's and Insomnia a Heineken is also over 200 Baht if you're not a regular customer who has the knowledge that there are discount cards on purchase ? And that is a Heineken from the bottle, not served in a clean glass.

A friend who has lived here for almost 20 years but is currently in Europe for a short period mailed me just the other day.

He went to his local grocery and purchased 200 gr of chicken curry spread, 200gr of shoulder ham, 100gr of sliced salami, a 800gr whole wheat sliced bread and a big bottle of Shampoo. Total cost 5,30 Euro or about 210 Baht.

Now these are no extravagance grocery items but actually poor men living in Europe. Try to purchase this at less than double the price in Pattaya.

I know, you can eat here an unhealty steamed white rice, with 6gr of vegetable and 10 gr of any contaminated meat for 1 Euro, but that's no comparison.

Last time I went on holiday to Thailand I came back to find my home was broken in, here in my condo I have 24/7 security, not to mention I had to pay 6,000 baht for the locksmith sad.png
I rather drink my beer in a gogo bar or small street stand with nice weather than deal with the horrible crowd and bad weather back home.
A kilo of nice chicken breast is still 130 baht a kilo, of course you have to compromise on the western food but if I took my rent money savings I could well afford to buy salami, cheese etc.. at Foodland, Friendship or Villa.
A kilo of frozen brocoli (very tasty) is 59baht at BigC Pattaya Tai so I can eat healthy and cheap. I had to make some adjustments but not many in my case and I don't feel it affects my lifestyle.
I actually kept an excel spreadsheet for a while with all my expenses, I spent 7020 baht in 53 days on food, so an average of 132.5 baht per day for a proper diet (eggs, whole meat toast, chicken breast, rice, broccoli), this also includes 4 meals at mcdonalds and one at Carl's Jr. So when I hear eating on the street is cheaper than cooking at home I laugh whistling.gif
And for the fun I actually spent 46,279 baht in 103 days, this includes rent, electric, internet and 3,715 baht of play money.
Each to his own I guess but in my case I really feel I have a better lifestyle in Pattaya for way less money spent. By the way I never was the kind to go eat at fancy restaurants and drink at hi-so bars, I don't feel those places give you a good return on investment but I guess I'm a kee-nok farang in my heart tongue.png
Edited by yoslim

Show me a nightlife precinct that isn't wildly overpriced ? Jakarta's Blok M - maybe once upon a time, but there is a lot more money in town than there was 10 years ago. Never been to AC, but it may be the answer. Hua Hin ? A bit quiet for mine, but a little cheaper than Patts unless you find yourself drinking at the Hilton. Alcohol is cheap in PP, but you wake up and you're in PP - try catching a movie or finding a 'Central World' - those who live in the areas around Central Patts can still enjoy those things, and proximity to BKK, without having to spend 30 seconds in a GoGo. Anyone feeding themselves from a 7-11 really needs to look at other options - simple as that. ...

Walking around endlessly lamenting 'that was 10 baht when I first came here 30 years ago !' is a complete waste of time - play that game in London or Sydney and people around you will just roll their eyes at the cheap bastard in front of them. I know what a steak sandwich and a beer cost me in Balmain in 1979, but I also recall how miniscule my paypacket was - the curse of retirement is that we wont be getting any more payrises but prices will keep going up. That's the whole 'you need a million dollars to retire at 55' argument' - I guess we've all laughed at that projection at one stage or another, but I wonder if we'll still be laughing in 2030. Happy thoughts, people.

Anyone who doesn't like Patts should just stay away from the place - we all know what it costs, we all know what the annoyances are and we all know whether it's our kind of place or not. Why argue the toss ?

• Like 1

I'm not boasting about anything, I'm only stating the realistic facts as I see them everyday in my 20 years stay in Thailand.

why do posters who are struggling to keep up always play the ''my xxx years in pattaya'' card

like longevity makes them above the rest of us

whereas it likely makes you more jaded than the rest of us

Why should one be jaded if they have lived in Thailand a long time,please explain???

familiarity breeds contempt?

Well, AOA is certainly judging.

Hookers = bad, more hookers = worse.

I guess it depends on each person's personal opinion about prostitution.

I don't see it as a problem. I like Pattaya.

I can't see where I said hookers were bad, help me out here?

I don't dislike Pattaya because of all the hookers, I dislike Pattaya because of the many low-life foreigners.

And nobody can say there aren't plenty of them around.

No argument, but what the <deleted> is it to you anyway ? I dont like Sydney's Kings Cross or Brisbane's Fortitude Valley for much the same reasons, but I have a simple solution : I dont go there and I dont spend my time thinking about those places, much less posting about them on internet forums. Central Pattaya is what it is, and the people who have learnt to live there without letting it grind them down deserve better than having the same crap repeated ad nauseam simply because someone has an opinion on Pattaya. I'm also amused by how quickly these threads seem to become a slanging match between the 'puritans' who have chosen CM and everyone else - must be tough breathing all that rarified mountain air and exulting in your moral superiority.

Don't tell him about the Beach Club in KL though. smile.png

sssshhhhh........

Go have a meal at any upscale restuarant in Pattaya and you pay triple that for a single meal. Upscale in Pattaya can be compared with average in the western world.

Don't compare foodstalls with restaurants.

went to cherries last night

was surprised it was an international buffet

had a huge feast of steaks, pork, chicken and mountains more for 350 baht

i insist it's the other way round. if i want to live the same lifestyle in Europe that i live in Pattaya it will cost me a multiple plus a fancy amount of taxes. you have been a guest in my home and i'm sure you will agree that in my specific case my claim applies.