How Much A Month Does One Need To If Starting A Family And Living In Pats

ghworker2010

As the title suggests, I am interested to know how much money I will require each month to support my thai lady, a new born and myself if living in Pats.

The budget for rent will be 10k to 15k per month.

If your currently in this situation, can you share how much on average your spending each month

many thanks

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're going to get answers from some claiming you can manage on Baht 25,000 per month all the way up to others who think you'll need Baht 100,000. How much does it cost to live in Manchester or in Dallas or Sydney? Many different answers depending on a whole lot of variables.

If you already have "my Thai lady" and a child on the way, you must have some experience with living expenses in Thailand. Most people feel that a lot of the basics have risen quite a lot in the past year or two, especially if your income is coming from outside Thailand, due to the strength of the baht.

Why in particular do you want to stay in Pattaya?

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

We want to stay in pats because her family runs a business there and I like swimming in the warm ocean everyday. Its a healthy lifestyle.

I realise my question above is subject to many factors but was hoping there might be some farang on this url that can run their estimates based on their situation.

Im guessing it might be around 70k (on average per month) or maybe above this once I have to start paying insurance and school fee's.

Some people move here and lower their standards (living off less than they normally did in their own home country) just to be able to stay here. I didn't, and I must say that I pay almost the same amount I would have paid in my own country - insurances, school, car etc. unfortunately the exchange rates have made it a bit more expensive. But I still live good and as long as I can continue and support my family I'm not moving back "home" ..

Good luck with your new family and your relocation to Pattaya.

You ask the wrong question. You should not ask how much you need, you should ask yoursefl (and not the forum members) how much you can afford..

Can you afford eat out with your wife for breakfast (300B in bon cafe), lunch (1'000 somewhere in central) and dinner (1'700 in a restaurant)? That is 3'000 a day for food, 90'000 a month that you can spend without any luxury food... but you can eat with less than 30'000 Baht when you buy at local markets and eat and live at home.

How much can you afford, what are your assets and income and what are you looking for... these are answers only YOU can provide to yourself.

50k/month minimum. You'll need to shell out at least 20k to the wife each month just to make her happy. If you give your wife less than that you're asking for a divorce imho. Anything left over is yours to keep.

Now you've gone and done it.

In before the hijack. cheesy.gif

• Like 1

I don't have the answer, but my friends indicate schools here can be expensive. This could be a very big part of your monthly expenses if you go with one of the international schools. Not so much if they go to a Thai school.

• Like 2

The simplest measure is to go to where there are poor people and see how they live. Then go to where there are lavish living areas and see how they live. Then you choose from the spectrum how you will live, and hopefully find contentment in that choice. Hint: know your limitations and stay within your means. Good luck.

25%-30% of your budget should go towards your housing and the rest should fall into place. No?

That depends on your expectation. Let's assume you have 80'000 Baht available.

You can spend 50% for the rent of a big house with pool and garden (including bills for house), if that is your priority. With the remaining 40'000, husband, wife and small kid can eat and live pretty comfortable. My GF and her two daughters (both in school) live with 25'000 and that includes school fees, clothes, some dinners out in KFC and other places, transport etc.

But you can rent an apartment for 10'000 if living environment is not so important for you and spend 70'000 on food and bar visits, if that is your priority.

So I really think that a percentage rule is too individual to be set as a recommendation.

We own a house thus no rent money and I think we use app. 75-100ck baht pr month.

Truck, 2 scooters, True Satellite TV, Internet, electrical bills and more, it all adds up.

When I retire in 10-15 years time, I budget 100k baht pr month in a owned house.

No need for an international school for your kid, a good private Thai school will do.

My son attend a very good private school here and it's way cheaper than the inter.n ones.

• Like 1

Assuming you're past the initial stage where you need to buy all the stuff you need for a comfortable lifestyle - house, car, TV, stereo, kitchen appliances, computers/tablets/smartphones and all the other medium-big ticket items, I think you can live very comfortably on 60,000 baht/month. But of course that depends on how often you go to expensive restaurants, bars, gogobars, etc.

We want to stay in pats because her family runs a business there and I like swimming in the warm ocean everyday. Its a healthy lifestyle.

I realise my question above is subject to many factors but was hoping there might be some farang on this url that can run their estimates based on their situation.

Im guessing it might be around 70k (on average per month) or maybe above this once I have to start paying insurance and school fee's.

Swimming in the ocean in Pattaya a healthy lifestyle????? Swimming certainly is, but from what I have read, the ocean is not very clean.

Lots of folks get by just fine on 70k baht per month. The question is, are you one of them? The answer depends on the lifestyle you wish to live. If you splash cash in the bars and enjoy partying, then no, it's not enough. If you are going to be a family man, then yes, you can make it work on 70k.

The OP wants a healthy lifestyle, and good on him for that, so he is not going to frequent the bars or go partying.

Assuming you're past the initial stage where you need to buy all the stuff you need for a comfortable lifestyle - house, car, TV, stereo, kitchen appliances, computers/tablets/smartphones and all the other medium-big ticket items, I think you can live very comfortably on 60,000 baht/month. But of course that depends on how often you go to expensive restaurants, bars, gogobars, etc.

The OP is married, so why do posters mention gogo bars in the living costs?