Our Only Chance Of Progress Lies With Our Children: Thai Editorial

webfact

EDITORIAL
Our only chance of progress lies with our children

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Surveys show that many Thais support graft if it benefits them, so what hope do we have of ending the vicious cycle of corruption and coup?

There has been talk of a possible coup as political conflict looms once again. One side blames the last coup in September 2006 for the country's ongoing political problems, while the other side points the finger at corrupt and power-hungry politicians.

Corruption is often cited by coup-makers as a reason for overthrowing an elected government - they did so in the country's last two coups in 1991 and 2006. Corruption among those in power followed by a military coup has become a vicious cycle in Thai politics. It all begins with an election. Then there is corruption. That prompts a coup.

The first coup in Thailand's modern political history occurred in June 1932. That "revolution", led by a group of young, foreign-educated bureaucrats, brought an end to absolute monarchy and ushered in the era of constitutional monarchy. It also led to many other changes in this country. Since then Thailand has seen 17 attempted or successful coups, up to the last one on September 19, 2006.

Because of the last coup, which took place more than 15 years after the previous one in February 1991, no political pundit can now state with certainty there will be no more coups in this country. The only thing they can agree on is that the possibility of another coup is only slightly less when compared to a few decades ago.

In the second half of the 20th century, when the military was more powerful politically, a coup could be staged for trivial reasons that would be considered insensible by today's "standards". An Army chief might stage a coup on the rumour that he had been "kicked upstairs" to become the armed forces supreme commander - a ceremonial position with no real power. A prime minister who was also field marshal and had control over the Army might stage a coup to overthrow his own government following an internal dispute. He could then set up a new Cabinet and handpick its members.

Today, military commanders who are capable of staging a coup are aware of the many consequences they could face, including later reprisals by opposition and pro-democracy groups, boycotts and sanctions imposed by foreign governments, and possible revenge on the part of those overthrown and their supporters.

Between coups and corruption, it is difficult to say which causes more damage to the country's economy, dignity and opportunity to progress. Both of these ills cause massive damage to the country, although corruption is permanently pervasive at all levels of government and society. Billions upon billions of baht in taxpayers' money are lost to corrupt politicians and bureaucrats each year, and it's a well-known fact that private contractors have to bribe them as much as 30 per cent of a government project's value.

Coup supporters want the country to be free of corrupt politicians, while corrupt politicians and their supporters fear losing power because of a coup. Neither coup nor corruption benefits the people or the country. They benefit and satisfy only certain groups of people. Thus, it is in the interest of the citizens of this country to work to rid society of both evils. However, it is going to be extremely difficult to break the vicious cycle of election, corruption and coup. The more difficult part is to tackle corruption, judging from the discouraging findings in some recent surveys, which show that few Thais oppose corruption if they benefit from it.

There are still so many people in this country - particularly in politics and the bureaucracy - who need to think about their sense of right and wrong. It might be too late to change those people for the better, but at the very least we must attempt to instil a moral conscience in our children, in the hope that our country will suffer less corruption in the future.

Those who hate corruption and the damage it does should support the campaigns and projects that encourage children to be honest.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-23

Do you mean the children who don't get educated properly, who learn it's ok to cheat and if they fail an exam / get a low grade their parents will buy what's necessary for them.

Moving higher up the social scale there are the children who are told their family name will see them ok, will get them into higher education and a good job even if they are as thick as pig s..t and don't worry about ever getting into trouble with the law as it will all be taken care of. Yes, let's start with the children

I can't see anything changing as the wheel is spinning to fast for anyone to get off.

• Like 1

Thai children have no parenting when it comes to doing the right thing. The children only learn the customs and behavior of Thai pecking order and sakdi na. Thais essentially have no sense of morality. Look at the double dealing and hypocrisy all around about just about everything that the newspaper covers or writes about. Just look at the prostitution and blatant sex trade and the constant denial about it. Take a look at the token petty drug arrests with never a bust or sting of Thai Mr. Bigs. Look at how critical stories get reported and then dropped. There is no sense of right and wrong. When was the last time that the Thai press ever reported upper class giving and charity efforts? Thais are laughable on this subject of passing it down to the next generations.

Maybe it would be a good idea for my Thai mother in law to head up a government then as she is a very honest person who has passed on these values to her daughters.

In my experience the vast majority of Thais are honest and hardworking and it is just a huge shame that the same people are rarely in positions of authority.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Children learn first and foremost from what they see their parents do. They learn to speak, how to behave, religion, etc from the family. Until parents behavior changes, children have little chance of changing attitudes.

I think Thais in general have given up on stopping corruption. That is why you see the poll that said 85% of Thais are ok with it as long as they get a benefit. The problem is huge, corruption is rampant at all levels of government, starting at local village levels all the way to the top. Just look at the police, the army and bureuacracy, people cheating on exams, paying hundreds of thousands of baht to get a relatively low paying job, why? I think it is because people have no faith that anyone will be hired based on merit or that decisions made by leaders will be for their constituants and not for their own selfish motives. Thailand isn't the only place this is happening, all through the world the situation is worsening.

Suffer less corruption in the future at the hands of the children? Thailands corruption levels are increasing and will get worse under the current lot of Shinawatra pig trough feeders. Children learn from their parents and teachers, so thinking that there is hope there is pie in the sky when more than two thirds of them have no moral consience against corruption and lawlessness and any empathy to their fellow citizens. Thailand is going to have to suffer absolute melt down before there is any chance to change the cancer of corruption and lawlessness that is now out of control.

Edited by Roadman

Children learn first and foremost from what they see their parents do. They learn to speak, how to behave, religion, etc from the family. Until parents behavior changes, children have little chance of changing attitudes.

A nieghbour of mine directly across the road is sending her son to Melbourne Australia to finnish his last year of High School and then wants him to get a job there. (his sister is married to a farang and lives there) He could only get a student visa. Anyway to get into a government state school he has to complete an exam. A fairly basic exam with general knowledge questions about both Thailand and Australia mainly designed to test his understanding of the english language both written and verbal. He can't speak a word of english so the parents sent him across to our home armed with the exam and 200 baht and through my wife asked me to complete it for him.

I refused because it is cheating and how is it it going to benifit him in the least. He got another nieghbour to do it for him for 500 Baht (a thai) I asked the question of how he is going to cope in Australia and apparently his parents have told him when he is there either get the brother in law to do his assignments for him and pay someone else.

Basically what I am saying is, here is a perfect example how some parents actually teach thier children how to get through life, by cheating and bribing others.

• Like 1

Bribery, graft, nepotism & etc.....all part of Thai society today and probably more so in the future....even taught in schools and universities.....albeit not in the curriculum.....but with advice on how to get others to do students work....degree courses....exams....pay the fare and you'll get the goods!

Even selling sex in the schools and universities....

Is there hope in the future???

The cracked record syndrome : Symptoms: repetitive regurgitating , hard to swallow, ringing in the ears, blood shot eye's, frequent headaches, diarrhea. Cure: Not known, can continue for years, forever, sometimes buying shares in a paracetamol company can relieve stress.coffee1.gif

Thai children have no parenting when it comes to doing the right thing. The children only learn the customs and behavior of Thai pecking order and sakdi na. Thais essentially have no sense of morality. Look at the double dealing and hypocrisy all around about just about everything that the newspaper covers or writes about. Just look at the prostitution and blatant sex trade and the constant denial about it. Take a look at the token petty drug arrests with never a bust or sting of Thai Mr. Bigs. Look at how critical stories get reported and then dropped. There is no sense of right and wrong. When was the last time that the Thai press ever reported upper class giving and charity efforts? Thais are laughable on this subject of passing it down to the next generations.

Maybe it would be a good idea for my Thai mother in law to head up a government then as she is a very honest person who has passed on these values to her daughters.

In my experience the vast majority of Thais are honest and hardworking and it is just a huge shame that the same people are rarely in positions of authority.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You have answered your own question. Honesty and hard work are simply not accepted here as virtues, in fact it is quite the opposite. People like you described will never be in positions of authority, if they are they better change their ways lest something bad happen to them.

• Like 1

A nieghbour of mine directly across the road is sending her son to Melbourne Australia to finnish his last year of High School and then wants him to get a job there. (his sister is married to a farang and lives there) He could only get a student visa. Anyway to get into a government state school he has to complete an exam. A fairly basic exam with general knowledge questions about both Thailand and Australia mainly designed to test his understanding of the english language both written and verbal. He can't speak a word of english so the parents sent him across to our home armed with the exam and 200 baht and through my wife asked me to complete it for him.

I refused because it is cheating and how is it it going to benifit him in the least. He got another nieghbour to do it for him for 500 Baht (a thai) I asked the question of how he is going to cope in Australia and apparently his parents have told him when he is there either get the brother in law to do his assignments for him and pay someone else.

Basically what I am saying is, here is a perfect example how some parents actually teach thier children how to get through life, by cheating and bribing others.

You need to inform the school immediately of the situation; if you don't you are equally as guilty as the student and his mother.

• Like 1

The children are the future of every country, but you need a few successful GOOD examples to hold up as an avenue to follow. The good that has been displayed by many in the past, has led to their dissapperance, death, etc.

If the good examples a few and far between, you have to kick the slates out from under those at the top of the chain of corruption/drugs/ etc. which has led to their unusual/ill gotten wealth, to be able to put a text in front of the young that they can relate to.

Another outcome is that it is highly unlikely he will pass the year 12 exams as some assignments require oral presentations, so his employment opportunities will be limited, probably to a Thai owned business such as a restaurant where more than likely he will be underpaid, with zero career opportunity in Oz. I know a few Thai kids in this situation in Oz.

One of the outcomes of the assessment you describe is allocation for ESL resources for the student & this is acknowledged in the marking process for the exams - a great shame this person is constrained from the get go by ignorant parents

EDIT: his opportunity to cheat will be very limited for the final exams as the test papers have to be completed during the exams on school premises.

Edited by simple1

You need to inform the school immediately of the situation; if you don't you are equally as guilty as the student and his mother.

have to agree with the above post, as its more than likely the school will then arrange for ESL resources for the boy

Rubbish I refused to become involved in thier little scam from the start. I would rather watch/hear of him crash and burn and learn a lesson the life outside of Thailand is very very different.

• Like 1

This story is all too true and very common however it can backfire.. I worked in a language school that had links to higher education in Australia and it was common to see students who had gone to Oz where their English deficiency was spotted quickly and were invited to take an intensive English course before being admitted to study their chosen discipline. Many parents couldn't / wouldn't pay for the English course so the student came home.

The Thai owner of the school used to have quite a time with some parents as he told me they couldn't understand why the Australians were so strict, some thought not understanding the medium of instruction wasn't a problem and their son / daughter would pick up enough to pass their exams. Others simply wanted to know how they could " fix " the situation and no prizes for guessing what they meant. He said that Thais live in their own little world and don't realise what they goes on here doesn't elsewhere and it's quite a shock.

• Like 2

Do you mean the children who don't get educated properly, who learn it's ok to cheat and if they fail an exam / get a low grade their parents will buy what's necessary for them.

Moving higher up the social scale there are the children who are told their family name will see them ok, will get them into higher education and a good job even if they are as thick as pig s..t and don't worry about ever getting into trouble with the law as it will all be taken care of. Yes, let's start with the children

You raise some good points in your dialogue.

some facts that are hard to swallow. But

I for one disagree with your idea of not starting with the children. They are the future. Have you any idea of how to change the situation now. I don't short of assassination of an unelected foreign multi citizenship holder.

To this end My wife receives money every month for her personal use including taking care of her mother and she has been instructed that when it comes to education I will give more. The children of today are Thailand future. It will be a slow process but eventually if we start with a seed it will bear fruit. The present system will never change with the mind set you put forward. It is there but not in all cases. There is hope for Thailand.

• Like 2

Rubbish I refused to become involved in thier little scam from the start. I would rather watch/hear of him crash and burn and learn a lesson the life outside of Thailand is very very different.

Your life, but maybe re-think so at least he has a chance. The caveat being to learn if he is motivated to do so...

• Like 1

This story is all too true and very common however it can backfire.. I worked in a language school that had links to higher education in Australia and it was common to see students who had gone to Oz where their English deficiency was spotted quickly and were invited to take an intensive English course before being admitted to study their chosen discipline. Many parents couldn't / wouldn't pay for the English course so the student came home.

The Thai owner of the school used to have quite a time with some parents as he told me they couldn't understand why the Australians were so strict, some thought not understanding the medium of instruction wasn't a problem and their son / daughter would pick up enough to pass their exams. Others simply wanted to know how they could " fix " the situation and no prizes for guessing what they meant. He said that Thais live in their own little world and don't realise what they goes on here doesn't elsewhere and it's quite a shock.

Generally they haven't a clue about outside of Thailand .

People who espouse high moral standards are among the worst cheats, studies have shown. The worst cheaters tend to be those with high morals who also, in some twisted way, consider cheating to be an ethically justifiable behavior.

certain situations.

Clearly you are already involved. Sounds like you are behaving exactly like what you are complaining about.

Do the right thing or get off your high horse.

As Edmund Burke said "all that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

But, perhaps you are just not a good man.

People who espouse high moral standards are among the worst cheats, studies have shown. The worst cheaters tend to be those with high morals who also, in some twisted way, consider cheating to be an ethically justifiable behavior.

certain situations.

So are you saying that because I wouldn't be involved in this families scam that my morales may be a little high and it is poosible that I am worse than them?

Fair enough people I can take your constructive criticism. I don't know exactly what school he will be attended so I can't contact them but I will send off an email to my brother in immigration then he may have his visa revoked.

Personally I was only giving an example of something on this topic and how the wheel turns. It seems it has come back to bite me and I am looking like the guilty party.

I guess as Thai appologists would say if farangs don't come to thailand then there would not be a problem. I guess with me being here I have caused them to approach me and get involved. I take full responsibiliy for thier planning and actions. I'm a nasty farang as another said.biggrin.png

Edited by chooka