Is A Teaching Licence Needed To Work At A Vocational College?

I've been offered a full-time job at my local vocational college, 'teaching' both English language and core subjects on their 3-year diploma course in Hotel & Tourism. The students are teenagers on the college's mini-EP program.

I know that universities do not need their lecturers to have a teaching licence, but does the same apply for a vocational college? (I have a post-grad degree and years of hotel management experience, so I can probably obtain a licence if required - it's just more paperwork to process...)

Also, for my work contract, is there a benefit for my position to be described as lecturer, rather than teacher?

Any other suggestions before I sign the employment contract?

Edited by simon43

Not sure about the requirement of a licence for a Vocational College but I can tell you that you do not require a teacher's licence if you are a lecturer.

The stated salary will have to be higher and tax paid.

Also the number of hours teaching is restricted..

If you need the necessary paper I can send it to you.

Hi Amecth, thanks for your reply. This vocational college is a government institution, so there indeed may be a requirement to obtain a teacher's licence.

You say that the salary will need to be higher and the working hours are restricted. Are those factors when compared with a teacher in a secondary school? (Certainly, my salary will be no higher than a typical salary for a NES in a secondary school). My working hours are also comparable.

Simon

I don't know the answer, but I think the answer would be in which branch of the gov't has control of the vocational school?

TL are required for those under the OBEC (I think).

Anybody know for sure?

Can only advise to contact the teachers council. Simply send them an email.

Do not use their regular email, they have a special department for foreign teachers, the foreign relations unit, and that department answers their email surprisingly fast. You can expect a reply within a few hours.

email: FRU (at) ksp.org.th

Vocational education is taught on three levels. Upper secondary, post secondary and university level. Vocational institutions fall under the OVEC. As far as I know, vocational education is considered as higher education, below or on degree level. According to the Teachers and Educational Personnel Act BE 2546 (AD 2003), Part 5, Section 43 (6), instructors and administrators at the higher education level are exempt of holding a teacher license.