Phuket Mob Violently Bounces Aussies From Kangaroo Bar

webfact

You seem to be overlooking a few things.

1. The drunken scumbags were the perpetrators here.

2. The drunken scumbags got exactly what they deserved.

3. Defending the drunken scumbags is a bit ludicrous, mate.

You're the one being ludicrous here, mate....

I've overlooked nothing. Assuming the report was 100% accurate and they are guilty as reported, they did not deserve a deadly attack from a mob. They "deserved" to be restrained and arrested - that's it.

My point was about the assault on them being deadly. Yes, they did survive but it could have resulted in death.

I see you are still making wild assumptions!

• Like 1

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK..i've lived in Thailand over 20 years....mixed and mingled all over and never seen as you said ''a lot of racial hatred"' .....mob violence? sure any country has that and add booze and shit happens now and again..but a lot of racial hatred is crap..IMO

May I suggest you open your eyes and take off your rose coloured glasses.

And yes, these type of incidents do occur all over the world. Where did I Indicate that this only happens in Thailand?

No rose tints on me and my eyes are well open ...as i said ''a lot of racial hatred ''is crap...

You need to calm down giggle.gif

Some of the most ridiculous, boorish and aggressive behavior I've ever seen in Thailand has all been Australians. I don't know what's going on "down under" but it seems to be a nation pre-disposed to produce scumbags.

No surprise. They are the descendants of British criminals deported by the Kingdom at that old time. That's why we can see certain similarities between the English and the Australians... ;)

Some of the most ridiculous, boorish and aggressive behavior I've ever seen in Thailand has all been Australians.  I don't know what's going on "down under" but it seems to be a nation pre-disposed to produce scumbags.

No surprise. They are the descendants of British criminals deported by the Kingdom at that old time. That's why we can see certain similarities between the English and the Australians... ;)

May I ask where you come from?

No rose tints on me and my eyes are well open ...as i said ''a lot of racial hatred ''is crap...

Ok, so we both think the other is spinning crap... now we can give it a break.

Edited by tropo

@mikemac...

"Isn't it ironic that all these businesses selling booze will beg (advertise) for customers to come and drink their booze and then when they get too drunk and rowdy they'll throw them out on the street like trash or even "punish" them first - their best customers."

What's ironic about that?

Don't know how it works where you come from, but this is exactly how it works in the U.S.

-- and everyone understands that. It's called being a responsible person and not drinking

more than you can handle.

Immature teenage boys with poor judgment and no drinking experience often get falling-down

drunk and make a total fool of themselves. Men usually outgrow that kind of immature behavior.

Some never do.

@ tropo , I am surprised you even responded to that "ludicrous" comment from BradinAsia. He seems to know a lot about what happened that night, perhaps he was there. Likes the term "drunken scumbags" as well, takes one to know one.

I am beginning to think these guys found a bottle of Bundy rum that night and the rest is history.

You still making excuses for these immature low-life drunks? If you don't like

the names I called them, feel free to add your own favorite names.

Just leave out the "nice guy" stuff, ok?

@mikemac...

"Isn't it ironic that all these businesses selling booze will beg (advertise) for customers to come and drink their booze and then when they get too drunk and rowdy they'll throw them out on the street like trash or even "punish" them first - their best customers."

Don't know how it works where you come from, but this is exactly how it works in the U.S.

-- and everyone understands that. It's called being a responsible person and not drinking

Immature teenage boys with poor judgment and no drinking experience often get falling-down

drunk and make a total fool of themselves. Men usually outgrow that kind of immature behavior.

Some never do.

At the end of the day, you're just a hard head who believes it's ok for violent mobs to dish out street justice to anyone they think deserves it.

A mob attack can be deadly, but that's ok with you. It's ok to kick the shit out of people and break legs.

In my world there's no excuse for a mob assault. That's not the way justice is served.

Those kids were lucky to escape with their lives. It doesn't always end so well.

Fortunately, in both our respective countries, this kind of violence is frowned upon by most people and there's laws against it.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

It's not simply a matter of whether or not these guys deserved to be beaten half to death by an enraged mob. Nobody deserves that. (Usually!)

But the fact is, that when you put yourself into such a situation, especially in an environment where you are out of your comfort zone, you alone put yourself at the risk of suffering the consequences of which you alone set in motion.

In other words: som nam nah.
  • Like 1

@mikemac...

Some never do.

At the end of the day, you're just a hard head who believes it's ok for violent mobs to dish out street justice to anyone they think deserves it.

A mob attack can be deadly, but that's ok with you. It's ok to kick the shit out of people and break legs.

In my world there's no excuse for a mob assault. That's not the way justice is served.

Those kids were lucky to escape with their lives. It doesn't always end so well.

Fortunately, in both our respective countries, this kind of violence is frowned upon by most people and there's laws against it.

You defend the uncivilized hoodlum perpetrators as if they really deserved your sympathy.

I condemn them and say they got exactly what they deserved.

We will never agree. Next...

"Don't know how it works where you come from, but this is exactly how it works in the U.S.

more than you can handle."

Are you trying to tell me that the US is populated by responsible people who never drink more than they can handle ? Wow ! Those movies, tv shows, documentaries, newspapers, magazines and first hand reports have been lying to me all this time.

"Don't know how it works where you come from, but this is exactly how it works in the U.S.

more than you can handle."

Are you trying to tell me that the US is populated by responsible people who never drink more than they can handle ? Wow ! Those movies, tv shows, documentaries, newspapers, magazines and first hand reports have been lying to me all this time.

Maybe you should learn to read.

• Like 1

Well, I do not know much about the details of this story, but do know a bit about the bloodied bloke pictured. I was once dancing with my girlfriend (about 3 years ago) and he walked up and said something into her ear. He then immediately pushed me away very firmly and she hurriedly grabbed me and hugged me. He looked at me and said, "get lost" and I looked back and said, "I think you can tell who she chose".. He then hauled off and punched me right in the jaw while I was hugging and dancing with my girl. I've never been in a fight before and didn't return the punch but I was a bit pissed off and considering it.. I have seen him quite drunk on many occasion and quite belligerent to several ladies since.. If he was the one hit with the ashtray, he doesn't get much sympathy from me. Oddly enough, I saw him last night, I always stay clear of him though I'm pretty sure he doesn't remember me. w00t.gif

How come there was an ashtray there. Smoking is banned in bars.

I have never heard that smoking was banned in bars before, is it really? I have lived in Patong for 3 years and have yet to see a bar where smoking was discouraged.

How come there was an ashtray there. Smoking is banned in bars.

I have never heard that smoking was banned in bars before, is it really? I have lived in Patong for 3 years and have yet to see a bar where smoking was discouraged.

It actually is. My real point of posting this (though it probably got more likes than any other post of mine) was to point out we were only being told part of the story.

Blame is being put solely on the 2.

Other scenarios do come into play. For example did the American person abuse them because they looked gay as was stated before. If the argument started through this it makes the story more complete and shows the punishment as a possible over reaction.

Who knows what is true. Who knows where the blame lies. Who cares where they come from they are still humans.

Personally scenes like Phuket and Bali where people from Australia go for a quick cheap party where no one can see them do not impress me. I guess the USA has similar cheap destinations that fullfil the same purpose as drunken orgy venues which probably have more Americans and fewer Australians because of the airfare diferences. Few Americans will fly to THailand for a weekend party as it is too expensive to do so. Few australians will do this to Central America.l

Edited by harrry

In my three years working at the Australian embassy from 96-98 I visited Patong regularly to assist Australian warships visiting Ao Makham and anchoring off Patong. During that period I am ashamed to say I saw some of the worst behaviour I have ever seen from Australian servicemen! I visited Patong again as a civilian last year and I was absolutely disgusted at the appearance and behaviour of young Australian "Bogans" there for a week of alcohol abuse and depravity.

It seems Australian tourists are quickly developing a reputation for being the most aggressive and rude nationality across the world. One of the reasons I chose to leave Australia and live in Thailand was the seemingly rampant disregard to the rule of law by the young people of Australia.

Disgusting behaviour by two Australian men who clearly do not know when they have had enough to drink. They must have been truly wasted for the bouncers at Hollywood to refuse them entry judging by the state of some of the people I have seen admitted over the years!

Makes one ashamed to be Australian!

I agree with everything you say, except being ashamed to be Australian.. Can't be morally responsible for fellow countrymen.

Well about 20 years ago I visited Bali and was really disgusted about all the trash everywhere and all over the beach and my feet sticking to the floors of any bar i entered. I was told this was Australian winter break and the island was full of them. I don't want to put all the blame on them but It wasn't a pretty picture as in general they seemed to have little respect for the environment and drinking seemed to be their favorite pastime.. That said, I am American and also ashamed of my country with their constant war mongering and policing the world. I don't even like to say I'm from America anymore. As soon as I do, I can tell the person I'm speaking with has an energy change though they rarely say anything. As for Phuket there are very few Americans who actually visit and when they do, it seems to be the military which is about all the locals see. It'sad they only see the most bravado of us. Many American people are good hearted souls but the military and gov't are quite a bit out of control.. While having a drink with a lady in a Patong bar recently, she asked and I told her I was American, she looked at me and said, "why does your country kill so many people and cause so much trouble around the world?" I could only answer that I know and work daily to wake up Americans to Peace..

• Like 1

The bouncer at the Hollywood Discotheque did not allow the pair to come inside due to their level of intoxication, so Mr Sounder and Mr Trub made their way to the Kangaroo Bar. There, the men allegedly attacked an American with an ashtray, Lt Col Akanit said.

Seems that Americans are not liked in the Kangaroo bar so far.

Having only recently arrived in Phuket, the two men named by police as "Antony Sounder", 26, and "Brad Trub", 30, suffered serious injures: Mr Sounder had a broken leg and Mr Trub had a large gash over his eye.

Mr Sounder and Mr Trub were charged with public intoxication, causing bodily harm and causing damage to property, said Lt Col Akanit.

A bad start for a holiday in LOS......w00t.gif

Well, I do not know much about the details of this story, but do know a bit about the bloodied bloke pictured. I was once dancing with my girlfriend (about 3 years ago) and he walked up and said something into her ear. He then immediately pushed me away very firmly and she hurriedly grabbed me and hugged me. He looked at me and said, "get lost" and I looked back and said, "I think you can tell who she chose".. He then hauled off and punched me right in the jaw while I was hugging and dancing with my girl. I've never been in a fight before and didn't return the punch but I was a bit pissed off and considering it.. I have seen him quite drunk on many occasion and quite belligerent to several ladies since.. If he was the one hit with the ashtray, he doesn't get much sympathy from me. Oddly enough, I saw him last night, I always stay clear of him though I'm pretty sure he doesn't remember me. :w00t:

All this has happened in Australia right? Because it's stated this was their first trip to Thailand.

Well, I do not know much about the details of this story, but do know a bit about the bloodied bloke pictured. I was once dancing with my girlfriend (about 3 years ago) and he walked up and said something into her ear. He then immediately pushed me away very firmly and she hurriedly grabbed me and hugged me. He looked at me and said, "get lost" and I looked back and said, "I think you can tell who she chose".. He then hauled off and punched me right in the jaw while I was hugging and dancing with my girl. I've never been in a fight before and didn't return the punch but I was a bit pissed off and considering it.. I have seen him quite drunk on many occasion and quite belligerent to several ladies since.. If he was the one hit with the ashtray, he doesn't get much sympathy from me. Oddly enough, I saw him last night, I always stay clear of him though I'm pretty sure he doesn't remember me. w00t.gif

All this has happened in Australia right? Because it's stated this was their first trip to Thailand.

but it gives no details of the person pictured in the photo who alleged he got hit with the ashtray.

Probably just a little more to the story than we have been told.

In my three years working at the Australian embassy from 96-98 I visited Patong regularly to assist Australian warships visiting Ao Makham and anchoring off Patong. During that period I am ashamed to say I saw some of the worst behaviour I have ever seen from Australian servicemen! I visited Patong again as a civilian last year and I was absolutely disgusted at the appearance and behaviour of young Australian "Bogans" there for a week of alcohol abuse and depravity.

It seems Australian tourists are quickly developing a reputation for being the most aggressive and rude nationality across the world. One of the reasons I chose to leave Australia and live in Thailand was the seemingly rampant disregard to the rule of law by the young people of Australia.

Disgusting behaviour by two Australian men who clearly do not know when they have had enough to drink. They must have been truly wasted for the bouncers at Hollywood to refuse them entry judging by the state of some of the people I have seen admitted over the years!

Makes one ashamed to be Australian!

I agree with everything you say, except being ashamed to be Australian.. Can't be morally responsible for fellow countrymen.

Well about 20 years ago I visited Bali and was really disgusted about all the trash everywhere and all over the beach and my feet sticking to the floors of any bar i entered. I was told this was Australian winter break and the island was full of them. I don't want to put all the blame on them but It wasn't a pretty picture as in general they seemed to have little respect for the environment and drinking seemed to be their favorite pastime.. That said, I am American and also ashamed of my country with their constant war mongering and policing the world. I don't even like to say I'm from America anymore. As soon as I do, I can tell the person I'm speaking with has an energy change though they rarely say anything. As for Phuket there are very few Americans who actually visit and when they do, it seems to be the military which is about all the locals see. It'sad they only see the most bravado of us. Many American people are good hearted souls but the military and gov't are quite a bit out of control.. While having a drink with a lady in a Patong bar recently, she asked and I told her I was American, she looked at me and said, "why does your country kill so many people and cause so much trouble around the world?" I could only answer that I know and work daily to wake up Americans to Peace..
Well if the lady you were speaking to was Thai, she should thank America for saving her from being a comfort woman for the Japanese....If she was from Europe, she should thank you for saving her family from Hitler.

Regarding the American being hit with the ashtray, are you implying he was a bad person and caused the fight? First you seem sure, then later you say " if he was the one hit with the ashtray". Too bad facts seem to be a bit scarce with this story.... Gotta give the American credit for the balls to be drinking in an Aussie bar. :-)

• Like 1

Well, I do not know much about the details of this story, but do know a bit about the bloodied bloke pictured. I was once dancing with my girlfriend (about 3 years ago) and he walked up and said something into her ear. He then immediately pushed me away very firmly and she hurriedly grabbed me and hugged me. He looked at me and said, "get lost" and I looked back and said, "I think you can tell who she chose".. He then hauled off and punched me right in the jaw while I was hugging and dancing with my girl. I've never been in a fight before and didn't return the punch but I was a bit pissed off and considering it.. I have seen him quite drunk on many occasion and quite belligerent to several ladies since.. If he was the one hit with the ashtray, he doesn't get much sympathy from me. Oddly enough, I saw him last night, I always stay clear of him though I'm pretty sure he doesn't remember me. :w00t:

but it gives no details of the person pictured in the photo who alleged he got hit with the ashtray.

Probably just a little more to the story than we have been told.

Sorry mistake them, you mean the American. A couple of bloodied blokes in the pics.

Look what just appeared in the news...

http://m.smh.com.au/travel/trave

l-news/more-travellers-taking-a-trip-theyd-rather-forget-20130525-2n3rg.html

Four Australian travellers a day are arrested for crimes around the world and statistics show a jump of almost 50 per cent from previous years.

Figures from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade revealed that 1507 Australia

ns were arrested or jailed for various crimes in the 2011-2012 financial year, up from 1067 in 2010-2011.

The number of Australians in custody was at record levels with 572 being jailed as at December 31.

The sad kicker is that there are folks in the world that would consider the beating they took as a fair price to pay for the stories they'll be telling back home.

I'll never understand the guys that go looking for this kind of trouble, or more accurately, that go out sowing it. Dollars to donuts they'll be doing it again as soon as the cast is off, maybe sooner.

Dollars to donuts they'll be doing it again as soon as the cast is off, maybe sooner.

Do you believe everyone is beyond redemption? I'd like to think they've learned a big lesson which will help them going forward.

Maybe you should learn how to write.

It seems to me that these two guys got drunk, caused trouble and paid for it dearly. Case closed.

Pretty much sums up what I wrote. They got what they deserved. The rest of us are all happy.

Next week it will be a couple of Englishmen, Swedes, Americans, Italians, Russians etc. getting into trouble and all the heroes on this thread who have been bagging the two Aussies (and Australians in general) will be

attacking whoever appears next. Whatever floats ya boat.

You didn't see me write anything about their nationality. I only said they got what they deserved.

Now you seem to be agreeing with me.

Amras said, "They probably did deserve it, but it was way too excessive, however, hopefully they learnt their lesson."

No, I don't think it was excessive, and I think it was possibly not enough of a hiding to ensure these bogans crawl into their holes and stay there. The problem is that they will return home, maybe appear on a 'current affairs' program and bad mouth Thailand because they picked a fight and didn't win. Thailand, indeed any country, can do without these idiots, and if I was in charge they'd be administered the lethal injection because of their abject stupidity.

Dollars to donuts they'll be doing it again as soon as the cast is off, maybe sooner.

Do you believe everyone is beyond redemption? I'd like to think they've learned a big lesson which will help them going forward.

Is 'going forward' the same as 'in the future'??