Do We Really Need Ground In Thailand?

bankruatsteve

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Obviously the OP has not been electrocuted in Thailand yet.

I have, and it was extremely unpleasant ---- it can also be fatal.

Obviously, I (put the OP) have not been electrocuted anywhere else I would be dead.

Indeed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrocution

That's not the only definition of the word.

From Concise Oxford Dictionary:

electrocute

· v. (often be electrocuted) injure or kill by electric shock.

DERIVATIVES electrocution n.

ORIGIN C19: from electro-, on the pattern of execute.

So (depending on the definition) you wouldn't necessarily be dead after being electrocuted.

Sophon

Obviously the OP has not been electrocuted in Thailand yet.

I have, and it was extremely unpleasant ---- it can also be fatal.

Obviously, I (put the OP) have not been electrocuted anywhere else I would be dead.

Like jombom, I have received an electric shock and lived- not pleasant though. I put my survival down to wearing rubber flip flops.

Gets ugly taping a ground wire as I have had to do with my washing machine (it came with a 2 cable for N & L) and a totally separate green ground wire. NO Idea why a leading Japanese maker would do that (unless they assumed most buyers do not have 3 pin power sockets.

I don't know what current Japanese electrical standards are, but most of the places I lived in/around Tokyo had mostly non-grounded outlets. At locations where a grounded appliance was likely, like in the kitchen and around the washer/dryer space, there would be a ground screw to which that green wire attached. The screw was labeled (in characters used to write foreign words): "aasu". "Earth"!

Gets ugly taping a ground wire as I have had to do with my washing machine (it came with a 2 cable for N & L) and a totally separate green ground wire. NO Idea why a leading Japanese maker would do that (unless they assumed most buyers do not have 3 pin power sockets.

I don't know what current Japanese electrical standards are, but most of the places I lived in/around Tokyo had mostly non-grounded outlets. At locations where a grounded appliance was likely, like in the kitchen and around the washer/dryer space, there would be a ground screw to which that green wire attached. The screw was labeled (in characters used to write foreign words): "aasu". "Earth"!

If they supplied a 3-pin plug on the appliance, they'd have to void the warranty on it when Somchai average broke off the earth pin so he could plug it in smile.png

That's the actual excuse I've been given in the past for supplying CEE7 plugs on devices that need an Earth in TH w00t.gif

Edited by IMHO

• 2 weeks later...

With all this crap Chinese electrical stuff available here,the best

bet would be to earth everything,I even have pull string lights in

the shower rooms. and earth is not just a 4 inch nail hammered in

the wall and attached to the shower hot water unit, as lots of Thais

think is good enough.

Regards Worgeordie