• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello

I'm Ashley

I'm 22 and moving to Bangkok in October from America

I was wondering how I could make friends, I'm slightly shy

I'm trying to learn Thai currently

I'd like some Thai friends, does anyone have any advice on meeting new friends

My wife had the same problem first when we moved to Thailand best thing is to try to find groups of people who like your hobby. She's big on Pilates I do indoor climbing so we found our nitch. Other wise it was depressing the group we worked with. Good luck!

• Like 1

my wife has many good friends, lifelong friends.

There are many like every where who will be more then selfish at your expense.

Be smart and be strong, a little common sense and you will meet some amazing people.

Don't always judge by class either, I know lovely rich people, I have a very good friend who lives in a slum, I have a good friend who is a police man and his just like my other friends.

just look at everyone as an individual regardless of what they do, only worry about how they treat you after all the power to walk away from them is in your hands.

• Like 1

If the OP would give a clue as to their status and where they plan on living (and working?) in Thailand, it may yield more specific advice. For example, being a student in Bangkok presents different social challenges to being a back-packer on KSR or just tagging along with the family on an international posting. There's a vibrant pub and club scene in Bangkok that would be the obvious place to meet since most socially mobile Thai's in Bangkok are working 9-5, Mon-Fri, just like anywhere else. Maybe there's a shared sporting activity where one could meet like-minded friends?

Edited by NanLaew

It is not allowed to post advertisement or links, but since you asked on how to find apartments for rent (preferably in the area of your school ?!) I feel free to recommend the website en.9apartment dot com . Thanks to the moderators for understanding

I'll be going to thongsook college

I'm currently looking an apartment too if anyone has an advice on that

Ash, Bangkok is the same as any capital city in the world and should be treated accordingly with reference to making friends. As you will be going to college here, it will be a natural process; same as moving from one state to another.

Use common sense and your own intuition and you will be fine.............wink.png

As a footnote, don't disregard the warnings of previous posters, although this advice would be applicable anywhere in the world for new ex-pats,

Making friends is no different here than it is back home. It can be more difficult with the language barrier but normally you will make friends

at work

in clubs (sports, book, etc)

in classes (if you take them)

making friends with your neighbors here, at least in BKK, takes long/more difficult than back home. most common sense applies. if you walk around with a smile on your face people will generally be engaging as many want to practice their English no matter how elementary their skills are.

just like back home, if you stay to yourelf inside all the time it will be difficult to make friends, if you are out and about and carry a friendly demor then it will be hard NOT to make friends.

I'll be going to thongsook college

I'm currently looking an apartment too if anyone has an advice on that

I worked a little further west, near Salaya and quite liked that locale. I stayed in a new apartment block that was 99% Mahidol students. Thawi Wattana has some impressive houses and gated communities. I am sure if I had more time, I could have found a home rental as I was with my family but the students lodging was really quite nice despite backing onto the main railway line! I recall lots of small bars and clubs that the students frequented as well as plenty of eating choices since typical of most all student flats, there's no in-room cooking facilities.

1. Definitely dont judge people on their financial status like some in here do, you will find the ones that take you for who you are and not what you earn will be the best of them. Dont let anyone push you into anything, just do what you feel comfortable with and always have a smile on your face, thai people will react better with those that let them know they are enjoying themselves, they will also try to help you a lot more when you smile at them and treat them nicely. There is a female forum here as well so you might get more info from the other girls rather than some of the males you get in here, no offence guys but some of you have your heads buried deep inside your ......s but on the whole most are ok. Try to get out of Bangkok for trips as well, most country people are pretty good and there are some great markets but avoid the touristy areas as there are a lot of rip off merchants in them, also try to have someone with you whenever possible, a single young female can be in for a hell of a time in the wrong areas. On a brighter note, it is a great country, mostly great people and I love it here, find others that enjoy the same hobies etc as you and you will do fine.

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1

I hope you have a job...teaching maybe?

Be careful...lots of people out there to scam you.. Watch you purse carefully! lots of pickpockets on the buses, trains, and don't carry anymore money than you need. Make a copy of your passport and visa. Carry that copy and secure your passport in a safe. Travel light.

If you go out an drink...watch your drink! date rape drugs are used here lot more than people report. Try to travel in pairs once you meet some one.

My guess is that Ashley is a young lady and if that proves to be the case I think she will have no trouble at all finding female Thai friends at the Thongsook college, as for male friends, I would tread very carefully there and take your time getting to know them in mixed company before dating any of them (Thai of Farang).

Learning Thai is of course the quickest way to make friends here, if you speak the language, even at a rudimentary level, you will find that the effort on your part is appreciated by the Thais.

Steer clear of the tourist (bar) areas, instead, mix in with the locals at the many small bar/restaurants around the college precinct.

I have had some of my best nights out in local bars where I always feel welcomed and never feel alone as the locals all want to say hi and have a chat.

As a girl you will find that you need to be aware all the time and try not to be out alone in the evenings.

Have fun, as long as you keep your wits about you it will be a wonderful experience for you!

Edited by midasthailand

When I arrived in my company, my boss told me not to trust any Thai person in the company, especially the one being nice to me, they always have ulterior motives.

I found this advice totally prejudiced and wrong.

Now I understand what he meant.

When I arrived in my company, my boss told me not to trust any Thai person in the company, especially the one being nice to me, they always have ulterior motives.

I found this advice totally prejudiced and wrong.

Now I understand what he meant.

I was told the same, then I was stupid enough to place all my trust in Farangs, it ended up costing me nearly 100,000 Baht in unpaid loans.

Ashley,

Seeing as you are coming to University here you should have no trouble meeting people.

It does of course depend what sort of people you want to meet.

Join Couchsurfing, there is a huge amount of social activity going on in Bangkok around the Couchsurfing community.

Have fun!

I moved to Thailand aged 24 and on my own and I was absolutely fine. You will make friends at your university and most university students can speak basic English so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Just make sure you have your wits about you. Don't fall in love with the hot Thai island boys as they'll probably only break your heart. ;)

Just don't do anything stupid and use your common sense. Make sure you read up on Thai customs and manners so you don't offend anyone etc.

• Like 1