Army Chief Prayuth Plans To ' Fence Off' Border The Entire Thai-Malaysian Border

webfact

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can understand the thinking, but, as this poster and others note, these fences do not have a good track record for keeping out undesirable elements anywhere, particularly in rough terrain. There is a cheap alternative being used by UN Peacekeeping forces in Africa - drones.

Whether or not these drones are armed or not is a separate issue. But they are the besr surveillance tools available.

Nothing like video evidence to show the Malaysian neighbors they are not doing their job, which is what this is all about.

The Malaysians make a national alert when some Filipino muslims try to claim thejr territory in Borneo - and rightly so.

But when the shoe is on the other foot... :)

Drones would help resolve the fundamental issue of where the support for this violence is coming from. Might be a useful bargaining chip when seeking international arbitration! :)

quote name="lee b" post="6446469" timestamp="1369716405"]emm thats going to be one long fence. Maybe a new usa / mexico border on the way !!

It just goes to show that a well organized guerilla army/group can often cause major problems for the national standing army.

Thailand with over 300,000 soldiers is thinking about building a bloody fence?

Send a massive number of troops down to the southern unrest areas and get it sorted.

Even Baldrick could figure this one out.

post-9891-0-56246900-1369724653_thumb.jp

I have a plan, but not a cunning one.

• Like 2

I was thinking that they can't be this stupid until I read Yingluk agrees..........yes, they can.

After building a 600km wall at huge expense, bomb smugglers will go around, over or under it, or simply through it at one of the normal border crossings where vehicle inspection is cursory at best.

It would be far cheaper to identify the trails that smugglers are using and periodically set up traps/ambushes.

A short boat trip will get them on to Thai soil, unless Prayuth is planning to extend the 'fence' for a couple of hundred miles out to sea on both sides .... Oh no, I've gone and put another crazy idea into his head...!

Good idea...there is no demarcation issue...so build a massive wall!

50m sand zone with mines and a fence.

But before finalization look that all the muslims are on the south side!

Patroling the land should be easier afterwards and then concentrate on the waters.

There is no action too much against the muslims!

Sorry for the not guilty muslims...but it is their kind what asks for more radical measures!

The winning entry on a closed 'public' tender for a mere 5billion baht:

2419516.png

Yeah, they could start tomorrow. The land border is only 600+ kilometres so it shouldn't take more than a week or two

He said these walls could be constructed right away because there is no problem concerning the demarcation of the Thai-Malaysia border.

Right away . . . the dear general is also an engineer it seems

It just goes to show that a well organized guerilla army/group can often cause major problems for the national standing army.

Thailand with over 300,000 soldiers is thinking about building a bloody fence?

Send a massive number of troops down to the southern unrest areas and get it sorted.

Even Baldrick could figure this one out.

attachicon.gifpray.jpg

I have a plan, but not a cunning one.

Get it sorted? Well, Einstein, what do you think they've been trying so successfully to do for ages now . . . killing women and children in the process . . . I guess the IRA should have done the same to the English -you wouldn't have a problem with that, would you?

Edited by Sing_Sling

Good idea...there is no demarcation issue...so build a massive wall!

50m sand zone with mines and a fence.

But before finalization look that all the muslims are on the south side!

Patroling the land should be easier afterwards and then concentrate on the waters.

There is no action too much against the muslims!

Sorry for the not guilty muslims...but it is their kind what asks for more radical measures!

Umm, the Muslims have been there for far longer than the 'Thais' . . . so that is actually 'their' side . . . but then who said brains were needed to have an opinion, eh?

'There is no action too much against the muslims! Sorry for the not guilty muslims... but it is their kind what asks for....'

The local comprehensive at your council estate really let you down, didn't it . . .

• Like 1

Can understand the thinking, but, as this poster and others note, these fences do not have a good track record for keeping out undesirable elements anywhere, particularly in rough terrain. There is a cheap alternative being used by UN Peacekeeping forces in Africa - drones.

Whether or not these drones are armed or not is a separate issue. But they are the besr surveillance tools available.

Nothing like video evidence to show the Malaysian neighbors they are not doing their job, which is what this is all about.

The Malaysians make a national alert when some Filipino muslims try to claim thejr territory in Borneo - and rightly so.

But when the shoe is on the other foot... smile.png

Drones would help resolve the fundamental issue of where the support for this violence is coming from. Might be a useful bargaining chip when seeking international arbitration! smile.png

quote name="lee b" post="6446469" timestamp="1369716405"]emm thats going to be one long fence. Maybe a new usa / mexico border on the way !!

Drones? They can't even keep their helium blimp in the air.

“It is impossible to keep an eye on the 600-km border all the time and some spots are narrow waterways.”

But it is possible to keep an eye on a 600-km fence?

Here is a tip for the construction: Don’t trust any local contractors for all well-known reasons. Get in touch with some former East-German Border Guards. But don’t hang your hopes too high even minefields, watchdogs, spring guns and watchtowers with armed guards did not prevent people to cross the border…

Are the all hooked up with ear medicine overe here now?

I am confused by a few things.

Prayuth said that though the 600-kilometre border is constantly patrolled, a personnel shortage had hampered continuous checks.

If a personnel shortage exists, how will they build the wall?

The existence of the bombs is also confusing. I am not that familiar with political, government, or economic issues, but why do they need the bombs?

The only simple thing I can deduce is that there is a reason the bombs are being brought in and if that reason were eliminated, then there would be no need for the bombs. The bombs would go somewhere else there is a need for them.

On another topic I heard they are bringing in a US television show to the local market. The agreement, which I think is faulty, is that the first 10 episodes must contain government officials. (I don't know who mandated the first 10 episodes be with governement officials, I just think it might not work out how it is intended, or actually it might because of what the show is. The show is; Are you smarter than a 5th grader.)

The great wall of Thailand cheesy.gif

The wall would need to be patrolled - so why not patrol the area now

What they really need is effective surveillance measures and intel - helicopters would be a good start, riding around on a Honda wave or in a soft skin pickup doesn't really cut it - but of course proper resource would cost money

or get the red shirts down there lol

• Like 1

just give back the south to malaysia. case solved.

They were getting along as you may recall until the Shinawatra clan came to be and added much tension, violence etc. The end of this oligarchy can be the beginning of negotiations and really solving the problem. When they can't admit they instigated it and try to improve ties,then it won't be solved. Surely a silly fence is no solution; we've come to expect that anymore.

Chalerm, 'No more violence now. Solved!" Hours later, 'Boom'!

I was thinking that they can't be this stupid until I read Yingluk agrees..........yes, they can.

After building a 600km wall at huge expense, bomb smugglers will go around, over or under it, or simply through it at one of the normal border crossings where vehicle inspection is cursory at best.

It would be far cheaper to identify the trails that smugglers are using and periodically set up traps/ambushes.

Considering how easy it was groups to gather bomb making ingredients and build bombs in Bangkok they better fence off southern Thailand from Thailand as well.

OH... Come on Thailand... Wake Up....

The rest of the world is taking down walls and you are considering putting them up.... huh.png

You really need to sack all these Thai buffoons that have any say or even opinion on what Thailand should do ermm.gif

Suppressing opinions is against what I believe, however, the Thailand population is not smart enough to evaluate stupidity from positive actions. If they where, politicians wouldn't be where they are now and Thailand would be moving forward... not sitting in the cesspool its creating for itself!

Whats next? Westerners get rounded up and go to "camps"

"The rest of the world is taking down walls" Better tell that to the Americans.

Bids to build the wall have been received from China. The Ray Ling Construction Co. Ltd are favoured to win the contract. tongue.png

Was that the same old Chinese company that built the one in Jerusalem eons ago?

No. I'm wrong. That began with a W.

How high is this wall going to be and how strong? Mmmmm...problems

1. Half the money allocated will go missing, so it won't be to spec.

2. If it isn't 100 metres high people will cob the bombs over, or jump over.

3. If just one block thick, someone could back their Toyota into it.

4. Without deep foundations a tunnel will take 5 minutes.

5. If they run out of money, people will walk round.

6. There will have to doors, so put a couple of extras in, maybe even after it is built.

There are some spin offs though.

1 The next world champion Pole Vaulter will be Thai.

2. They may find oil while tunneling.

3. Unemployment will go down while they are building it.

4. Great advertising hording, 600km long.

5. You might be able to see it from space.

6. Good location for a BMW showroom for government officials to use.

this has to be the funniest reply i have seen on here in a long time. its so true these idiots are just like this.

The most effective barrier built thus far would have been the one separating Hong Kong from the mainland. Electric, electronic sensors, unscalable, sentries and roving patrols. But even then, it was a full-time and very expensive operation for British Forces HK (who utilized the most up-to-date equipment at the time) to patrol the adjacent waters ... and the mainlanders were STILL able to elude them on the water.

The General may not have considered that the cost of building the wall is only a drop in the ocean compared to manning and maintaining it properly. And if it's not going to be manned and maintained, what's the sense of it?

Simply unbelievable coming from the country's highest ranking military man.

He will get a lot of criticism for this idea following the blimp and bomb detector fiascos.

I hope he doesn't take a fence.

should be stone walled

Far more effective and economical to use 'smart mines' on the border ones you can turn off and on, should have been done on the US/Mexico border long ago, but so many profit from the labor (soon votes) from illegal aliens that it would never happen.

As the continued carnage and indiscriminate murder continues unabated, the army chief wants to build a fence.

Perhaps he should seek advice from the Israeli and US governments on this issue as to the effectiveness, cost, environmental and people impact, freedom of legitimate movement etc. of such a scheme.

If not general, please remember that google is your friend.

However, as the general continues to clutch at straws, I bet that the usual snouts are already beginning to sniff around this particular trough.

The wife and friends of Army Chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha will soon be seen carrying bags of cash to the SET and trying to buy controlling interests in building block and chain fencing manufacturers!

How high is this wall going to be and how strong? Mmmmm...problems

1. Half the money allocated will go missing, so it won't be to spec.

2. If it isn't 100 metres high people will cob the bombs over, or jump over.

3. If just one block thick, someone could back their Toyota into it.

4. Without deep foundations a tunnel will take 5 minutes.

5. If they run out of money, people will walk round.

6. There will have to doors, so put a couple of extras in, maybe even after it is built.

There are some spin offs though.

1 The next world champion Pole Vaulter will be Thai.

2. They may find oil while tunneling.

3. Unemployment will go down while they are building it.

4. Great advertising hording, 600km long.

5. You might be able to see it from space.

6. Good location for a BMW showroom for government officials to use.

this has to be the funniest reply i have seen on here in a long time. its so true these idiots are just like this.

I agree with this...save for Ahmed the bomber...being from South of the wall;

he may give Plod from North of the wall a jump for the title of World Champion

Pole Vaulter. On an aside...as one who has covered the "Southern Troubles"

for many years (news wise) I have actually walked the entire E-W length of

the border on patrols with both the Thai military and the Malaysian military.

It's not flat terrain friends, in many places the once clear cut primary rainforest

(jungle to you) has since heavily overgrown. The logistics of building said "fence"

would be a nightmare to say the least. This is not a new idea either...a concrete

wall completely seperating Thailand & Malaysia was seriously debated way

back in the early 80's in the last days of the CPT-CPM giving their respective

governments a last ditch overthrow effort. (CPT=Communist Party of Thailand,

CPM=use your imagination...note...it ain't Myanmar). The best solution Pryauth

has is to put boots...lot's of em on border patrol duty...backed up by "good" intel

and the latter may be difficult to procure.

• Like 1