Like Skype But Much Easier.

thohts

Here's a relatively new service that offers cheap VOIP calls from your mobile or landline phone to any other mobile or landline phone.

Jajah

their website lets you try it out for free. when you've entered in your numbers your phone will ring and you'll hear the Jajah recorded voice letting you know your call is being connected. then, it will connect your call.

For me, quality was excellent (and better than Skype pc-to-phone)

by the way.. I think the 5 free minutes is set via cookie. so, in theory, you could just get an additional 5 minutes (to, uh, test it out some more) by clearing your cookies or using another browser.

"like" skype, only twice the cost (check their rates against skypes).

Bette quality? Over a phoneline? I don't think so. I find skype is much better sound quality than direct telephone calls. Don't think going though extra loops would improve that.

"like" skype, only twice the cost (check their rates against skypes).

Bette quality? Over a phoneline? I don't think so. I find skype is much better sound quality than direct telephone calls. Don't think going though extra loops would improve that.

OK basically it's a regular call back system via the web.

The quality is much better compare to Skype Out (you can not compare with Skype PC-to-PC digital telephony).

Regarding the rates, I think you are wrong. Rates France/thailand for instance are cheaper :

0,0324 euro/min VAT included

Skype Out : 0,106 or 0,057 (bangkok) euro/min VAT included

Looks very promising.

And there is another goodie : they say on their FAQ that you pay (with credit card) for your previous calls ! You don't buy "credits" like with Skype.

But they don't say from what amount the system ask for a payment.

Edited by cclub75

From the Netherlands i can use my normal phone and call any thai number fixed or mobile for 0,02 euro per minute. Sometimes there is even a promotion it is 0,00 per minute.

Don't need a computer, no software.. nothing.

Big advantage, my 89 year old grandma can use it.

Always keep an eye open for other ways to call.

What Skype does with PC2PC is old news. Did that 10 years ago, although with less quality.

Skype is good when you have to go the other way around. Calling from Thailand has limited choice.

SkypeOut is competitive in price.

Personally this Jajah system looks good for me.

Cheaper that 008 calls from Thailand to UK - 8 baht on TOT, just 1.6 baht a minute on Jajah.

No minimum charge, great for occassional users, I make about 1 short international call a year. Using Jajah I appear to pay by credit card AFTER making the call. All other systems want about Euro10 in advance that often only last for 120 days then expires and your money is spent.

BUT, if I make a 5 minute call at 3.9cents a minute, ie about 18 cents, will Jajah actual accept a credit card payment for 18 cents bearing in mind many cards seem to charge a minimum fee of about 25cents for a credit card payment?

OR do Jajah make a charge for using a credit card?

Seems they could lose money by billing me!

i am happy with my skype setup. how can anyone bill you after you make the call? paying for prepaid credits does make sense.

would AIS let you make calls on their phone and then bill you for it?? yes they do after they get a copy of your ID card, passport, tabian baan etc etc. I guess i am just too dumb to understand this.

skype does it for me though. just that i have been through enough crappy websites offering what they claim to be as good and better quality and rates compared to skype but turns out to just someone who wanna be a "just like skype" 15 seconds restrictions on free calls. i rather just pay for it !!!! at competitive rates.

Groo - well Jajah claim that they bill after the call, you then pay by credit card.

In Thailand you have to give all the details to be billed after the call, but in the UK I have an alternative telephone provider who, after just registering on the net with my telephone number and address, bill me after I have called. OK, so they billed me after the first GBP5 to make sure they do get their number but there is a degree of trust.

Personally I think Jajah are in for a cost hit, but their model of phone now pay later is great for my circumstances, just the odd call each year. It doesn't suit everyone!

thohts, thank you for the link to Jajah.

Although a little less convenient for me to use than SkypeOut – for which I have four cordless DECT/Skype handsets in the house – Jajah lets me save 65% of the cost of a call to a mobile in Bangkok, 34% to a landline.

“Oh, no! Not another system to learn!” exclaims my wife. I may have to incentivise her :o

Interestingly, Jajah charges me even less to call a mobile in Thailand than a landline:

post-21260-1143443668_thumb.jpg

On the other hand, for calls to Japan I fare better with SkypOut: 41% cheaper than Jajah.

--------------

Maestro

Reading the information I believe they have your credit card information when you sign up for service so it is not like they are going to not be paid.

As for payment they accept payment for as little as 1 Euro but base there billing on usage criteria so expect it would be a much higher figure for most customers.

Ive seen those handsets advertised on the skype web site and want to get some. Did you get them over here or brought out from Europe?
I bought them in Europe and use them in my place in Switzerland for DECT, Skype and Intercom.

Some months ago, I saw this article on Linksys CIT200 in the Bangkok Post.

--------------

Maestro

Edit: I see that Linksys now has a new model out. What I am really waiting for is a DECT/Skype phone that can be used with Skype without the PC to which the base station is connected being on, i.e. a direct link to the Internet via a wireless router. If it does not yet exist, it won’t be long until it comes on the market, I guess.

Edited by maestro

I would like to warn the community of fellow expats against prog like Skype.

First there is legal issues with Skype in particulary, the side effect could be your society found using an illegal program, so even if you are not related to the original problem, you can have sice effects. I precise Skype is not yet judged, the legal probs are just started 3 days ago if I recall.

Second, well if you use Skype only to chat with your next Tee Ruk, from a neutral computer (cyber caffe) that is okie. If you use it from a personnal computer, or from a work station , it can be several probs :

1) Skype is using the same technology as Kazaa ... For me Kazaa = malware and spyware. Kazza is well know by the hacker community and how to infect it discretly is also more than well know by that comunity.

2) Basically it's a P2P program + a VoIP program (bad descrition but I try to do short). The P2P is what make it potentially dangerous. Because Skype, as many of other prog, never speak about the security of the computer where it is used (they speak about firewall, but what about a HD D:/ that is sharing on a Lan, does the sharing right are understood or not by Skype?).

3) There is a confidentiallity problem. I have the whole DB of the SET (following a work I did some month ago, and that I will have to do again in some month, some hting like an audit). The data are not confidentials, but their use is (my client earn money, big bucks, by selling those data in human reading form, mean tables, graphics ....). So my client does not need that to be spread over internet, because Skype was not totally confidential. Worst, my client does not want to have to imagine it could happen one day or another (the last conversation related to it was : Do not give me nightmare, or I will have to find someone who make me sleep and dream....

Be very careful when using those programs. A VoIP prog + a Instant mesager are basically very basic program (I can deliver one within 2 weeks, and a good indian coder in less than a week). All the problems lay in the security, the privacy , the way to move securly files btw users ...

Ive seen those handsets advertised on the skype web site and want to get some. Did you get them over here or brought out from Europe?
I bought them in Europe and use them in my place in Switzerland for DECT, Skype and Intercom.

Some months ago, I saw this article on Linksys CIT200 in the Bangkok Post.

--------------

Maestro

Edit: I see that Linksys now has a new model out. What I am really waiting for is a DECT/Skype phone that can be used with Skype without the PC to which the base station is connected being on, i.e. a direct link to the Internet via a wireless router. If it does not yet exist, it won’t be long until it comes on the market, I guess.

There was some news about voip in database today(bangkok post) Page D4. OnComputers section. THere is mention of Zyxel, Netgear selling mobile voip phone that you can use with wi-fi spot. and that you can get voip on regular cellular phone using some free software from www.iskoot.com . check it out. incidently the Linksys phone is for sale in thailand. I think i saw it at www.skypethailand.com.

Hi,

I've just found this thread for Jajah whilst looking for other cheap phone links. What I want to know is:- 1. Do I need ADSL before I can use Jajah so that when they phone me back I can answer or do I log off from internet after entering numbers? ( landline only ) 2. When I enter my Thai phone no. do I miss out the zero ( 0 ) and likewise when I enter the no. I want to call in UK, do I miss out the zero (0 ) from the area code? 3. Anyone found any problems since using Jajah, billing etc. ?

Somehow Skypeout never worked for me.

I am using Jajah for the past 3 weeks and the experience has been good.

However, the site is still bugged with problems. It is down almost 50% of the times.

It is good that the payment system is postpaid. It prompts you once the credit reaches 10Euro. It is a pain that it cuts the call off, the moment credit reaches 10Euro. There is noway to expand the credit limit nor pay in advance.

I also read a news article that Jajah is going to go mobile in collaboration with Symbian, after which calls can be initiated from mobile phone (no need to initiate calls from computer).

Going forward, Jajah (rates) are going to raise the bar up (down) for skype et al and a serious trend setter

Cheap calling!!

It is good that the payment system is postpaid. It prompts you once the credit reaches 10Euro. It is a pain that it cuts the call off, the moment credit reaches 10Euro. There is noway to expand the credit limit nor pay in advance.
There seems to be a way to pay before the limit of 10 Euro is reached. After logging in, click on “My Account” (shows you the amount owed), then click on “Pay now”.

For example, if you plan to make a call lasting longer than 60 minutes, pay already when your account has reached EUR 8.00 and then you can call for 5 hours.

I haven’t made any payment yet because less than EUR 2.00 are outstanding at the moment.

--------------

Maestro