Getting Ready For The 1 Year Extension Based On Marriage

Hey there,

Okay so today I was at the Immigration Office in Jomtien, Chon-Buri, and they provided me with this list of required documents in order to apply for the 1-year extension based on marriage:

post-177562-0-28201600-1369771582_thumb.

Here is the full list in text format:

(Translation)

Criteria for Consideration and Supporting Documents
For
Application for Extension of Slay
To Support a Thai Spouse

Criteria for Consideration

1. Applicant must have been granted a non-immigrant visa
  2. Evidence of relationship
  3. Evidence to show that the spouse holds That nationality
  4. Couple must have a marital relationship both in a legal sense and in a de facto sense
  5. Applicant must earn an average annual income of no less than THB 40,000 per month or have funds for annual expenses of no less than THB 400,000 deposited with a bank(s) in Thailand for the previous three months.

Supporting Documents

1. Form TM.7 with one photograph attached
  2. Copy of passport
  3. Registration of marriage (Form KhorRor.2), certificate of marriage (Form KhorRor.3), letter of certification issued by the Embassy attesting that a person had not registered his marriage prior to marriage, and children's birth certificates (if any); or if marriage was registered in a foreign country, a That or English translation of the marriage certificate, certified by the embassy, and registration of familial status (Form KhorRor.22) must be submitted.
  4. Personal identification card and household registration of the spouse or other documents as proof of Thai nationality issued by a governmental or related agency; for example, if either the spouse's father or mother is a foreigner, the birth certificate of the spouse, evidence of Thai naturalization, name change certificate (first or last name), certificate of divorce (if marriage was never registered), certificate of residence, or residential lease agreement must be submitted.
  5. Evidence according to Clause 5 of the Criteria for Consideration, as follows:
    1. If having a job in Thailand
      • Work permit
      • Letter of confirmation of the employer, signed by an authorized officer, indicating details about the work duties, work type, and job position according to the work permit, and monthly salary (of no less than THB 40,000 per month)
      • Evidence of income tax payments certified by the Department of Revenue and receipts (Form P.N.D.1 for the previous three months and Form P.N.D.91 for the previous year)
      • Company registration certificate and a list of company shareholders (Form OrBorJor.5) (issued within the last 6 months)
    2. If having funds deposited within a bank(s) in Thailand (saving/fixed account)
      • Must have a balance of no less than THB 400,000 remaining in the bank account for the past 3 months from the date of submission​​
        (For the first year only, a deposit account must be submitted and must have said amount of balance in the account for no less than 2 months.)
      • Letter of confirmation from a bank in Thailand attesting that the current balance is no less than THB 400.000
    3. If earning foreign income, such as pension or social security fund
      • ​Letter of confirmation from the applicant's embassy or consulate in Thailand attesting that the applicant receives income from a pension or other earnings of no less than THB 40.000 per month
  6. ​Photographs showing members of the family, residence, front view of house, and interior of the house with household appliances, daily life
  7. Location map to the residence
  8. Fee of THB 1.900
  9. Other evidence

Remarks:

1. Applicant and his spouse must contact the office in person to give statements.
  2. Submission must be made by presenting the original documents and certified copies with signatures of the applicant.

Please let me know if any typo as it was converted automatically from scan to text!

So now my questions: (point #3) What is form KhorRor.22 and where/how do I get it? I already have the forms KhorRor.1 and KhorRor.3 which were delivered by the Ampur during our marriage.

Also, still in point #3 it says "letter of certification issued by the Embassy attesting that a person had not registered his marriage prior to marriage", is it the document saying that I was able to marry, or is it something else that I have to get? If it's the document showing my ability to marry then I don't have it anymore, as the Ampur kept the only original I had when we married!

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

I have just, applied for my first extension, based on marriage, in Bangkok, and on 30 days under consideration.

The KR2 is just conformation you are still married and can be obtained at any (please correct me if wrong on this point) Ampur. Your wife just needs to go down to one ask and show her ID, some don't charge so I have been told, the one we went to charged 10B.

The other you asked about, is your affirmation to marry, the Bangkok Immigration wanted the Thai translation only. I don't have the original Thai translation, only copies.

I am sure someone who has used the immigration office you are using will be along to advise on any other documents they want.....each one appears to be different, as well as each officer.

It was a pleasant morning out for me and a fun drive to Chaengwatana

• Like 1

Criteria (5) says 3 months (but section below says 2 months first time). The law is immigration order 777/2551 and it says 2 months. I suspect it was intended to be the same as retirement as 2 months first time and 3 months later but that is not what is written in the law.

KR2 (or KR22) is the ledger entry of marriage registration or recording of foreign marriage and for recent fillings will be available online from any District Office - those married for many year may have to contact original office however.

Affirmation to marry can be obtained from the District Office you recorded your local marriage if you did not keep a copy.

Thank you both for the clear and detailed answers, very helpful!

I have just, applied for my first extension, based on marriage, in Bangkok, and on 30 days under consideration.

I am wondering, does that mean that I must apply at least 30 days before my current visa (i.e. permit of stay) expires, or does it allow me to stay while waiting for the outcome?

Thanks again!

It only means that after making application you will get a stamp allowing stay for another 30 days and have to return to pick up the final one year stamp. This is normal yearly procedure for such extensions of stay which require higher level final approval.

No, you do not have to apply 30 days early - any time during the last 30 days is fine.

It only means that after making application you will get a stamp allowing stay for another 30 days and have to return to pick up the final one year stamp. This is normal yearly procedure for such extensions of stay which require higher level final approval.

No, you do not have to apply 30 days early - any time during the last 30 days is fine.

Oh that's really great! That means that I have 2 months remaining to submit my application, not only 1 :) (I just applied for a 60 days extension based on marriage, I have a Non-O visa)

Thank you!

Thanks Paulsh for this list, it saves me a trip ;) !!

It it pretty standard and the same as last year except for the money to be in the Bank Account for 3 months.

Only wondering what is No. 9 Other Evidence ???

Paulsh as lopburi3 says, it's just gives another 30 days from the date you apply (that's what they have done on mine) I return to Chaengwatana on the 11th June to hopefully get my year.

I applied for mine two and bit weeks prior to the end of permission to stay on my Non O, (28th May), all very painless, wife was asked some questions, which were how much rent we pay, where dose my money come from, as I don't work, and even though could of gone down the retirement route, I'm 52, but didn't want to tie up 800,000K and the combined route didn't fit in with my financials.

The bank letter I got form the branch in immigration, they are quite use to it, they charged me 200b, made a deposit of 100b and then withdrew it, so the immigration officer could see the 400,000k was up to date on the day.

Thanks Paulsh for this list, it saves me a trip wink.png !!

It it pretty standard and the same as last year except for the money to be in the Bank Account for 3 months.

This is where the officers, at their own discretion, can demand other documents. Or tea money. We had a frantic search for our 'freedom to marry' document even though we had had to produce this at the Amphur when we got wed and the same guy on the telephone the day before, hadn't mentioned this. He wasn't accepting tea money, apparently some Farangs have become dab hands at forging documents.

Thanks Paulsh for this list, it saves me a trip ;) !!

Anything they want to ask for, same as the UKBA, think there requirement list at end states that the list is not exhaustible.

Suppose, if there not happy with your application, they dig further, or having a very grumpy day, or the daily competition is to see who can get, the applicant to bring in the most difficult and ridiculous piece of information.....

Anything they want to ask for, same as the UKBA, think there requirement list at end states that the list is not exhaustible.

Suppose, if there not happy with your application, they dig further, or having a very grumpy day, or the daily competition is to see who can get, the applicant to bring in the most difficult and ridiculous piece of information.....

This was the list what I needed last year:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/562523-list-of-docs-required-for-extension-of-stay-marriage-pattaya-jomtien/#entry5388897

I believe that you only have to go through this the first time that you apply for a marriage visa. After that it is automatic.

At least that is what I was led to believe.

You are not getting a marriage visa - you are extending your stay for marriage and you must meet the financial and other requirements every year to obtain a new one year extension. Your spouse will have to be with you and you will have to attend a month later to obtain the actual one year extension stamp.

Criteria (5) says 3 months (but section below says 2 months first time). The law is immigration order 777/2551 and it says 2 months. I suspect it was intended to be the same as retirement as 2 months first time and 3 months later but that is not what is written in the law.

And two months was enough when I applied last time a couple of weeks ago in Jomthien. It was my fifth or fourth extension in the row.

One notable change to last year was that they started the 30d waiting period from the day I applied, not from the end of my extension. Apparently the queues in BKK are shorter this year.

I got tired and fed up of all the b.s. involved in renewing Marriage Visa. All the forms, the pictures, the copies of this and that, which were all the EXACT things from last year, and would be the exact same things next year, and finally said "Screw this" and switched to Retirement. Average time for renewal of Marriage visa, once me and wife got to desk - Over an hour. Took LESS than 10 minutes to switch to Retirement, and my next renewal took about the same.

Most of the guys I know here in CM have all switched from Marriage to Retirement, and find it a heck of a lot easier to deal with.

• Like 1

I got tired and fed up of all the b.s. involved in renewing Marriage Visa. All the forms, the pictures, the copies of this and that, which were all the EXACT things from last year, and would be the exact same things next year, and finally said "Screw this" and switched to Retirement. Average time for renewal of Marriage visa, once me and wife got to desk - Over an hour. Took LESS than 10 minutes to switch to Retirement, and my next renewal took about the same.

Most of the guys I know here in CM have all switched from Marriage to Retirement, and find it a heck of a lot easier to deal with.

As I stated a few weeks ago in another thread.

Scan all documents and keep in a safe place and retain copies on your PC on separate drives. Renewal is easy as pressing a few buttons and all the guff comes flying out of your printer. No need to feed the sharks at the photocopy place outside Immigration. I take two copies of everything along just in case they want to be awkward.

Put papers in the following order :-

Application form of extension of stay.

Copies of all pages of your passport.

Copy of Form TM7

Copy of reminder of 90 day reporting

Copy of Blue Book pages

Statement from Bank showing current balance

Copies of all pages of bank passbook ( Put enough money in, get letter from bank, photocopy the passbook and then withdraw the money)

Copy of letter from Consulate confirming annual income ( I supply a sheet of paper having done the arithmetic- income plus bank balance - for them )

Staple the pile of paperwork neatly. Make them happy, they make you happy.

• Like 2

Just got back from doing this in Korat. I brought 2 copies of everything but they only took one. They went over my passport with a fine tooth comb, Not once, not twice but three times counting time between my re-entry stamps. They ten wanted two witnesses, but they did not have to come in. I had to take pictures of them signing the witness lines and bring copies of their IDs and 2 pages of their house book. The photos had to be separate of each signing. The only other odd thing was they told me not to go under the 400,000 in the bank until I got the extension?????. The 30 day was added to the exit date of my current non-o visa. Told to come in on that day-- no earlier and at that time I will get the extension or 7 days to exit the country :(

Just got back from doing this in Korat. I brought 2 copies of everything but they only took one. They went over my passport with a fine tooth comb, Not once, not twice but three times counting time between my re-entry stamps. They ten wanted two witnesses, but they did not have to come in. I had to take pictures of them signing the witness lines and bring copies of their IDs and 2 pages of their house book. The photos had to be separate of each signing. The only other odd thing was they told me not to go under the 400,000 in the bank until I got the extension?????. The 30 day was added to the exit date of my current non-o visa. Told to come in on that day-- no earlier and at that time I will get the extension or 7 days to exit the country sad.png

Wow....

That's some crazy requirements! What if we don't know anybody for the witnesses? (real question)

Just got back from doing this in Korat. I brought 2 copies of everything but they only took one. They went over my passport with a fine tooth comb, Not once, not twice but three times counting time between my re-entry stamps. They ten wanted two witnesses, but they did not have to come in. I had to take pictures of them signing the witness lines and bring copies of their IDs and 2 pages of their house book. The photos had to be separate of each signing. The only other odd thing was they told me not to go under the 400,000 in the bank until I got the extension?????. The 30 day was added to the exit date of my current non-o visa. Told to come in on that day-- no earlier and at that time I will get the extension or 7 days to exit the country sad.png

Wow....

That's some crazy requirements! What if we don't know anybody for the witnesses? (real question)

The witnesses are only needed when applying for the 1st time.

You can ask anyone to be your witness (Neighbors, Moto Bike Taxi driver ) as long as they know you and can vouch for you that you are really married and living together !

Question:

Does your 30 day VISA granted to you when you fly in (I'm American) at the airport count as a "Non-Immigrant" VISA?

OR

Is that just a "tourist VISA" and not the same thing?

PS - This topic should be "sticky" Its EXTREMELY informative and useful.

Edited by JeffreyWitty

Question:

Does your 30 day VISA granted to you when you fly in (I'm American) at the airport count as a "Non-Immigrant" VISA?

OR

Is that just a "tourist VISA" and not the same thing?

PS - This topic should be "sticky" Its EXTREMELY informative and useful.

No, it is not a visa as such. It is a 30 day grant of stay in the kingdom and does not count as a Non-Immigrant Visa.

• Like 1

You can obtain a non immigrant visa entry from immigration in the conversion of entry process for extensions of stay (you must otherwise qualify for extension of stay).

The 30 day entry without visa is called visa exempt entry and is not considered a visa entry of any type. Again it can be changed by immigration for extension of stay reasons if more than 15 days or so remaining on the stay and you can present the extension documents. The issue/conversion costs 2,000 baht.

You can obtain a non immigrant visa entry from immigration in the conversion of entry process for extensions of stay (you must otherwise qualify for extension of stay).

The 30 day entry without visa is called visa exempt entry and is not considered a visa entry of any type. Again it can be changed by immigration for extension of stay reasons if more than 15 days or so remaining on the stay and you can present the extension documents. The issue/conversion costs 2,000 baht.

That's possible only at the Bangkok Immigration right? Or is it also available at other branches?

Bangkok will do for anyone - you then extend at normal office. But most offices will do for retirement and some also for marriage.

Kap Choeng Immigration does for both marriage and retirement. on a visa exempt, and 60 day single tourist visa. If you have a double or triple tourist visa they well send you to Bangkok.

• 4 weeks later...

...letter of certification issued by the Embassy attesting that a person had not registered his marriage prior to marriage...

The above requirement is totally confusing - I got married 9 years ago, so do I have to go to the local Amphur and get an online copy of "affirmation to marry"? or do I go to Embassy and get a "certificate of no impediment" backdated 9 years, which I doubt embassy will do?

My original letter of impediment was handed to Amphur 9 years ago.

Please advise.

The affirmation of permit to marry is asked for at very few immigration offices. And mostly only for newlyweds.

If needed you can try and get a copy from the Amphoe where you registered your marriage. If they can't find it or don't want to look for it then ask for a letter from them stating that.