Getting Ready For The 1 Year Extension Based On Marriage

...letter of certification issued by the Embassy attesting that a person had not registered his marriage prior to marriage...

The above requirement is totally confusing - I got married 9 years ago, so do I have to go to the local Amphur and get an online copy of "affirmation to marry"? or do I go to Embassy and get a "certificate of no impediment" backdated 9 years, which I doubt embassy will do?

My original letter of impediment was handed to Amphur 9 years ago.

Please advise.

You can ask the amphur where you got married for a copy of the letter, or a letter from the amphur saying they cannot find it.

This topic is discussed many many times with all kinds of advice and comments etc.

I have created a Marriage Extension checklist which I have added to over the years and it hopefully gives clear instructions on what is required.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Tucker

Marriage Extension Checklist.pdf

Edited by TommyTucker
  • Like 1

Your PDF file lists the seasoning requirement for marriage as 3 months for other than the first time - this is in error and the requirement is 2 months for all applications by official regulations (police order 777/2551). I understand a few offices were saying that was the requirement but they were also informed by Bangkok that this was not the case (although there may be some still asking). Most places do indeed accept 2 months as the regulation states.

You say to make a copy of TM7 after filling it out. Some immigration offices will not allow this.

You do not mention an up to date Kor Ror 2 marriage registry if you got married here.

You do not mention an up to date Kor Ror 22 marriage registry if you got married outside the country. Immigration will not accept foreign marriage certificates unless you have a Kor Ror 22 which indicates that the marriage has been registered here at the Amphoe.

You also do not mention the income of 40 baht per month income option proven by an income document from an embassy.

• 2 weeks later...

Read thru many informative post on here but need a bit of calcifications on a few things please guys,

I have a non O which was issued in Oman last year and expires Nov 2013

I came into Thailand on 20th April and my 3 months are up on the 18th July

I was meant to go back to work (Oman) last month but the job is no more

I have enough money in the bank to meet the requests of marriage or retirement visa

I am married to a Thai (seven years) and have a daughter with her

We went to imagination today and asked about a married visa and were given a list of things needed (not the most informative of places)

We live in Samui and were married in Bangkok

I am over 50

So my questions are,

I don't want to do visa runs...what are my current options?

When can I apply for a marriage visa?

Thanks in advance for any info

Unless you plan to work inside Thailand you might be better served with a retirement extension of stay as it is only financials and immediately issued. But if you may work here the Thai wife option is better as they will normally issue a work permit while you have that extension. Both cost the same 1,900 baht but need wife and a lot more paperwork for Thai wife version and have to be able to return 30 days later for final stamp.

You can do this during the final 30 days of any entry. So if you do not want any more visa runs get the financial paperwork and apply now.

Unless you plan to work inside Thailand you might be better served with a retirement extension of stay as it is only financials and immediately issued. But if you may work here the Thai wife option is better as they will normally issue a work permit while you have that extension. Both cost the same 1,900 baht but need wife and a lot more paperwork for Thai wife version and have to be able to return 30 days later for final stamp.

You can do this during the final 30 days of any entry. So if you do not want any more visa runs get the financial paperwork and apply now.

Thanks Lopburi...no intention of working here so retirement visa sounds the better option. Should I get another job outside Thailand is it easy to switch back to a normal non O?...I was working 5 & 5 (weeks) before so it would be a PITA to try and do that on a retirement visa

Thanks Lopburi...no intention of working here so retirement visa sounds the better option. Should I get another job outside Thailand is it easy to switch back to a normal non O?...I was working 5 & 5 (weeks) before so it would be a PITA to try and do that on a retirement visa

As Lopburi pointed out in his post it's an extension of stay for retirement purposes (which takes the form of a half-page Immigration stamp in your passport) that we're talking about here, not another visa stuck to a whole page in your passport. Working outside Thailand should not have an adverse bearing on such an extension, although you will also need a re-entry permit to keep it alive. If you work outside Thailand on a 5 weeks on, 5 weeks off basis (which is what I assume you mean by "5 & 5 (weeks)") as before, you would be best advised to obtain a multiple re-entry permit at a cost of 3,800 THB.

You would also be strongly advised to refrain from any travel out of Thailand for a good month at least before your extension of stay expires, so that you can get all the necessary paperwork for your following year's extension sorted out in good time. You will have a 30-day window to apply for your new extension at your local immigration office before the existing one expires.

And were you to work outside Thailand on a a 5 weeks on, 5 weeks off basis, you shouldn't then need to report your address to Immigration every 90 days since the clock for this purpose will only start ticking from the day you return to Thailand after each working stint.

Edited by OJAS

As Lopburi pointed out in his post it's an extension of stay for retirement purposes (which takes the form of a half-page Immigration stamp in your passport) that we're talking about here, not another visa stuck to a whole page in your passport. Working outside Thailand should not have an adverse bearing on such an extension, although you will also need a re-entry permit to keep it alive. If you work outside Thailand on a 5 weeks on, 5 weeks off basis (which is what I assume you mean by "5 & 5 (weeks)") as before, you would be best advised to obtain a multiple re-entry permit at a cost of 3,800 THB.

You would also be strongly advised to refrain from any travel out of Thailand for a good month at least before your extension of stay expires, so that you can get all the necessary paperwork for your following year's extension sorted out in good time. You will have a 30-day window to apply for your new extension at your local immigration office before the existing one expires.

And were you to work outside Thailand on a a 5 weeks on, 5 weeks off basis, you shouldn't then need to report your address to Immigration every 90 days since the clock for this purpose will only start ticking from the day you return to Thailand after each working stint.

Thanks OJAS, multi re-entry retirement sounds like the one I need then. When can I apply for this? My current 90 days are up on the 18th of this month and my Non O (multi re-entry) expires Nov this year.

Cheers

You can do it any time before the 18th of this month at immigration.

But this would not be a visa. It would be an extension of stay with a multiple re-entry permit.

You would need to have 800K baht in the bank for 60 days or proof of 65K baht income. Or a combination of income and money in the bank with a total 800K.

Edited by ubonjoe

You can do it any time before the 18th of this month immigration.

But this would not be a visa. It would be an extension of stay with a multiple re-entry permit.

You would need to have 800K baht in the bank for 60 days or proof of 65K baht income. Or a combination of income and money in the bank with a total 800K.

Thank you Joe...will have a wander down there later thumbsup.gif

I commend anyone who has the courage to do the marriage extension full on 1 year "o"category multiple entry visa. I knew a younger couple who went to extraordinary lengths to get the 1 year extension (with only about 90 days prior stay in Thailand), even with a more convenient multiple entry visa option. He did eventually get it, but his wife agrees with me.....next time: multi-entry "o" visa.

Ultimately, to each their own. But for those without much experience in the region, i dont think there is any significant advantage beyond the border run, which could be up to 14 hours depending on your location and time of day. Are visa runs really that bad?

I commend anyone who has the courage to do the marriage extension full on 1 year "o"category multiple entry visa. I knew a younger couple who went to extraordinary lengths to get the 1 year extension (with only about 90 days prior stay in Thailand), even with a more convenient multiple entry visa option. He did eventually get it, but his wife agrees with me.....next time: multi-entry "o" visa.

Ultimately, to each their own. But for those without much experience in the region, i dont think there is any significant advantage beyond the border run, which could be up to 14 hours depending on your location and time of day. Are visa runs really that bad?

I will soon be doing my 6th extension based upon marriage. No problems at all.

I live within 2 hours of the border and Savannakhet is not far away for a visa. I can tell you that I would never go the multiple entry visa option.

Costs and time are big factor to me. Five thousand baht for a visa and cost of trip to get it verses 1900 baht for an extension. Border run that would cost 1500 baht for a visa to Laos plus travel expenses verses no cost for 90 day reports other than little bit of fuel for the trip.

• Like 2

I will soon be doing my 6th extension based upon marriage. No problems at all.

I live within 2 hours of the border and Savannakhet is not far away for a visa. I can tell you that I would never go the multiple entry visa option.

Costs and time are big factor to me. Five thousand baht for a visa and cost of trip to get it verses 1900 baht for an extension. Border run that would cost 1500 baht for a visa to Laos plus travel expenses verses no cost for 90 day reports other than little bit of fuel for the trip.

I'm glad to see yours went without a hitch. Do you do the 400k baht with 2-3 month seasoned in a thai bank account or affidavit letter notarized by the embassy as proof of income?

edit: do they waive this requirement after the first [couple of] years?

Edited by 4evermaat

I do a income affidavit and have never been asked for back up proof.

Nothing changes after the first year other than the home visit or the need for witnesses (some offices) instead is not required.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is discussed many many times with all kinds of advice and comments etc.

I have created a Marriage Extension checklist which I have added to over the years and it hopefully gives clear instructions on what is required.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Tucker

You say to make a copy of TM7 after filling it out. Some immigration offices will not allow this.

You do not mention an up to date Kor Ror 2 marriage registry if you got married here.

You do not mention an up to date Kor Ror 22 marriage registry if you got married outside the country. Immigration will not accept foreign marriage certificates unless you have a Kor Ror 22 which indicates that the marriage has been registered here at the Amphoe.

You also do not mention the income of 40 baht per month income option proven by an income document from an embassy.

Hello,

What is an "up to date Kor Ror 2"? I have a Kor Ror 2 but I don't know if it is up to date. We got married about 8 months ago in Thailand, and this will be the first time I apply for such extension.

Also, both your post and the above checklist PDF forget to mention the Affirmation to marry (i.e. Point.3 in the Supporting Documents: "letter of certification issued by the Embassy attesting that a person had not registered his marriage prior to marriage").

Real question:

Is the affirmation to marry really required/necessary?

Will it be asked by the Jomtien-Pattaya-ChonBuri Immigration?

Will they refuse my application without it?

I don't have my affirmation to marry anymore (I gave the original to the Ampur and I didn't keep a copy). I know that I can go to the Ampur and get a copy, however the Ampur is really far, the queue is always very slow, for me it's an entire day lost in stupid bureaucracy, so if I can avoid the Ampur trip then I will!

Thanks for your answers ;)

You have asked this question on your topic and others. Check other posts and topics for answers.

Thanks for your reply! I posted at different places because I wasn't getting any reply on this :)

I'm glad you replied!

It's still unsure if the original Kor Ror 2 is enough or not for the ChonBuri Immigration in Jomtien – any confirmation about it would be great!

So now my questions: (point #3) What is form KhorRor.22 and where/how do I get it? I already have the forms KhorRor.2 and KhorRor.3 which were delivered by the Ampur during our marriage.

Also, still in point #3 it says "letter of certification issued by the Embassy attesting that a person had not registered his marriage prior to marriage", is it the document saying that I was able to marry, or is it something else that I have to get? If it's the document showing my ability to marry then I don't have it anymore, as the Ampur kept the only original I had when we married!

Hello everyone, I got a better understanding of the requirements so here are some clarifications:

The KhorRor.22 is for couples who got married aboard only (outside of Thailand). If you already have the form KhorRor.2 and KhorRor.3 then you do not need the form KhorRor.22.

Regarding the affirmation to marry (the document delivered by the embassy confirming your single status), when you handle the original during your marriage at the Amphoe, they will give you back a stamped copy for you to keep. I had this document somewhere and I actually found it, so you might just already have it just keep looking in your stuff. If you lost it you can ask another copy from the Amphoe.

A question remain: some people on this forum mention the need for an "up to date KhorRor.2", but since this "up to date" mention doesn't appear on the list of supporting documents (both the English and Thai versions, verified by my wife), I conclude that this isn't officially required? Or perhaps required only for couples who got married aboard?

So now my questions: (point #3) What is form KhorRor.22 and where/how do I get it? I already have the forms KhorRor.2 and KhorRor.3 which were delivered by the Ampur during our marriage.

Also, still in point #3 it says "letter of certification issued by the Embassy attesting that a person had not registered his marriage prior to marriage", is it the document saying that I was able to marry, or is it something else that I have to get? If it's the document showing my ability to marry then I don't have it anymore, as the Ampur kept the only original I had when we married!

Hello everyone, I got a better understanding of the requirements so here are some clarifications:

The KhorRor.22 is for couples who got married aboard only (outside of Thailand). If you already have the form KhorRor.2 and KhorRor.3 then you do not need the form KhorRor.22.

Regarding the affirmation to marry (the document delivered by the embassy confirming your single status), when you handle the original during your marriage at the Amphoe, they will give you back a stamped copy for you to keep. I had this document somewhere and I actually found it, so you might just already have it just keep looking in your stuff. If you lost it you can ask another copy from the Amphoe.

A question remain: some people on this forum mention the need for an "up to date KhorRor.2", but since this "up to date" mention doesn't appear on the list of supporting documents (both the English and Thai versions, verified by my wife), I conclude that this isn't officially required? Or perhaps required only for couples who got married aboard?

If you go to Amphoe and get an Kor Ror 2 update, it is printed out from the computer records then date stamped; it shows that you were still married on the date when you got the print out.

An old KR 2 doesn show if you are still married!

If you go to Amphoe and get an Kor Ror 2 update, it is printed out from the computer records then date stamped; it shows that you were still married on the date when you got the print out.

An old KR 2 doesn show if you are still married!

Thanks I understand the difference, however different immigration offices seem to require an up-to-date KR2 while others may accept the original only, and I was wondering if the Chon-Buri Jomtien office was accepting the original KR2.

Update:

All documents submitted today at the ChonBuri Immigration in Jomtien:

- They did not want the affirmation to marry.

- They did not ask for an up-to-date KR2.

- They did not want the inside/outside/front-door/building pictures, they only wanted one picture showing both of us. No copy required.

- The did not need 3 copies of the TM.7 forms (like stated in this post), 2 were enough.

- My 3-pages rental contract provided by a registered estate agency showing 3 signatures (owner, agency and renter), the agency's stamp and a copy of the owner's passport was not enough. They provided me with a special form that had to be filled by the owner, which declares hosting a foreigner in his property. Because the owner wasn't in Thailand I had to have this form filled by the agency renting his apartment, plus a special letter stating that the agency has full power to represent the owner!

phhhuuu! finally done!

Here is a summary for newcomers that will use the ChonBuri Immigration office in Jomtien:

• x2 copies of the form TM.7 (download, note: must print on one sheet)
    Make sure to complete all the information properly and attach two passport-sized pictures.
    Most of the information can be found in your passport, except for your address for which you'll have to use the one in your rental contract (in case you are renting).
  • Your Original Passport;
  • x2 copies of your Passport Main Page, Visa Page (Non-Immigrant O), Entry Stamp Page and Departure Card;
  • x2 copies of your KhorRor.2 and KhorRor.3 (or KhorRor.22 if you got married aboard);
    Those documents were provided to you when you got married (or registered your marriage) at the Amphoe.
  • x2 copies of the Thai ID Card of your wife;
  • x2 copies of the House Registration of your wife;
  • x2 copies of your Rental Contract + x2 copies of the Form Attesting that the Owner/Agency is hosting you;
    If the agency fills the above form, you will also need a letter attesting that the agency has full power to represent the owner.
    (Doesn't apply if you're owning a property, in which case the documents attesting your ownership should be enough.)
    Note: In all cases the address must match the one written on the form TM.7 above.
  • Original + x1 copy of the Letter provided by your Embassy attesting a monthly income of no less than 40 000 bath;
    Most embassies provide this letter quit easily (no proof required).
    Alternative option: having 400 000 bath in your Thai Bank Account for the past two months.
  • 1 or more Original Photos showing you and your wife Together in your residence;
    Printed pictures are OK.
  • x2 copies of a Map to your Residence;
    Hand Written or Printed Google Maps are OK.
  • 1900 baht
Additional note: You will have to sign the Copies of your Passport. Your wife will have to sign the Copies of her ID Card and House Registration.
It's not that hard after all. Perhaps the Chon-Buri Immigration office make it easier than it is for other offices.
  • Like 1

A question regarding the time it takes to renew non-o based on marriage: Does it take about 30 days to process wherever in Thailand you apply?

Yes, every immigration office will have you wait for 30 days, often starting from the day your current permission to stay ends.

A question regarding the time it takes to renew non-o based on marriage: Does it take about 30 days to process wherever in Thailand you apply?

Yes, every immigration office will have you wait for 30 days, often starting from the day your current permission to stay ends.

Thanks for your reply. Any idea why this is so? A friend of mine is here on a retirement visa and his renewal is done in 30 minutes (Aranyapratet).