Report Of Visa Run In Vientiane Lao

Tuktuks from the border to Vientiane have not been 100b for about 10 years now. 300 is pretty much normal now, for either your own tuktuk or your own car/van, no difference. The number of people in your party does not matter, same price. I suppose one could bargain down toward 200 (but definitely not below) but 300 is edging toward the standard now. Much more expensive going the other way (because of low possibility of getting a fare back); they usually want 400 baht for the trip from Vientiane to the border.

I think the sign says 300THB to rent a taxi to Vientiane. If you're a single person going, you can usually bargain down the taxi drivers, since they know they can get other people to share and also pay.

I always think it's kinda funny, when you bargain them down, then they say to not tell the others, as they then go off to find a couple of other people who each pay 300THB lol

I never find anything fun about doing a visa run to Laos. Unless you are planning on staying a couple days in Vientiane or other visiting other cities in Laos ....a quick turn around run is just miserable no matter how you cut it.

God....standing out in front of the consulate on a hot day with the sun beating down on you, waiting for the rush of cattle to get their que number for your visa...don't even get me started on the jam packed buses across the bridge. I could list 10 more things that are FUN INDEED! unsure.png

*edit note* ....if you arrive only 1/2hr to que up on collection day....plan on being waaaay back in the que and waiting a long time. Most experienced people are there at least an hour in advance. just sayin'

Edited by BKS22
  • Like 1

Great report. I will just add a few points.

- The Consular Section of the Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane is located "Rue Bourichane" (Bourichane Road or "Thanon Bourichane"). That's where you have to go for your visa application.

- The price is 5 baht per photocopy there (at the Embassy). Usually, the only photocopy that I need to do once in Laos is the one of my passport's page that contains my latest Lao visa (usually obtained just a bit earlier on the same morning of my application for a new visa at the Thai Embassy). Of course, in my case, the other requested photocopies are all done beforehand (usually in Thailand as it is much cheaper: 50 satangs / 0.5 baht per photocopy).

- I still am able (last time was in March this year) to go from the Lao border to the Consular Section of the Royal Thai Embassy in a shared taxi for a maximum of 100 baht per person (2 or 3 people per car usually, and even less if there are more people in the car). With a tuk-tuk, depending on the number of passengers, I have paid from 50 up to 80 baht for the fare.

• Like 1

Tuktuks from the border to Vientiane have not been 100b for about 10 years now. 300 is pretty much normal now, for either your own tuktuk or your own car/van, no difference. The number of people in your party does not matter, same price. I suppose one could bargain down toward 200 (but definitely not below) but 300 is edging toward the standard now. Much more expensive going the other way (because of low possibility of getting a fare back); they usually want 400 baht for the trip from Vientiane to the border.

wrong wrong wrong. I still pay 100-150 Baht. Just because YOU can't get it for that price doesn't mean it isn't available!

I entered Laos on Sunday evening at 9:30pm and the trip to the morning market from the border was 80 Baht in a minibus, no bartering, no arguing, no double pricing.

• 3 weeks later...

Great report. I will just add a few points.

- The Consular Section of the Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane is located "Rue Bourichane" (Bourichane Road or "Thanon Bourichane"). That's where you have to go for your visa application.

This is a link to a location map of the consulate :

http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/images/consulate/Thai%20Consular%20Office%20Map.JPG

• 2 months later...

There is good info here, thanks to all.

Sorry to bump up this thread, but I wanted to ask a few questions

Which days of the week are to be avoided at the Consulate, ie. to avoid the visa agent companies, or it doesn't matter?

Also 24-hr turnaround visa issuance is guaranteed or should I allow extra time?

Also, a triple entry tourist visa is out of the question? Would it help if I produced an overseas bank statement copy (not certified)?

Which days of the week are to be avoided at the Consulate, ie. to avoid the visa agent companies, or it doesn't matter?

Also, a triple entry tourist visa is out of the question? Would it help if I produced an overseas bank statement copy (not certified)?

The triple entry tourist visa is 3,000 baht but is still only valid for 3 months [last use by date] same as a double, so will not give any extra time, but OK if you need to make an extra trip out of Thailand...

On another Topic, Bali issue a triple entry tourist visa and valid for 6 months = with extensions almost 9 months..

The triple entry tourist visa is 3,000 baht but is still only valid for 3 months [last use by date] same as a double, so will not give any extra time, but OK if you need to make an extra trip out of Thailand...

On another Topic, Bali issue a triple entry tourist visa and valid for 6 months = with extensions almost 9 months..

Thank you both.

That's good info ignis. That kind of visa would be great, 6 months triple entry. But not sure I wanna go to Bali for that.

Right now I'm weighing Vientiane vs. KL. Is a 6 month Tourist visa possible in any country bordering Thailand? KL I'm very familiar with, it would be a snap. Vientiane I'm thinking thru Udon, like the OP. That would be more like for the adventure part smile.png

Edited by elzach

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding Vientiane. It's basically a formality to go the morning of one day and go back the next afternoon to collect your visa. Just be careful to check for buddist/national holiday days on which the consulate will be closed. Personally tho considering you have to pay around $36 for a visa to enter Lao I would stay for 2/3 days I think it's a nice little city, and i don't like doing so much traveling in 48/72 hours.

I don't think there's really any days to avoid and no problem crated by visa agencies. However if you submit on friday will have to wait until monday I think a few people get caught out by this and sometimes monday can be a little more busy. but it's not much of a problem just go in good time and you wont be waiting very long. I went on a Thursday, there was a buddist holiday on the friday so had to wait til monday. I was happy to do this anyway was planning to stay for a few days. Also didn't have a choice because i travel on the last day of my visa for thailand.

• 6 months later...

I may be dense so I'll ask. I'm facing a 5 day overstay which is cheap enough but my flight is very early am and I want to get through BKK exit Immigration without the hassle of the overstay pay desk delay. If I get stamped out of Nong Khai , cross the Friendship bridge and get Lao visa can I just turn around and cross back over to get another 30 day tourist stamp or is a proper Thai visa required? I'll be staying close to Nong Khai so it is not an expense in time or baht to get there. Thanks.

Edited by khunbillmex

I may be dense so I'll ask. I'm facing a 5 day overstay which is cheap enough but my flight is very early am and I want to get through BKK exit Immigration without the hassle of the overstay pay desk delay. If I get stamped out of Nong Khai , cross the Friendship bridge and get Lao visa can I just turn around and cross back over to get another 30 day tourist stamp or is a proper Thai visa required? I'll be staying close to Nong Khai so it is not an expense in time or baht to get there. Thanks.

Yes, you will get a 15 or 30 day visa exemption, depending on your nationality.