"first Outpatient Care" Fee

Morakot

I went to a private hospital for an injection and was presented a bill that contained among other things the following item:

• 121 (1) First Outpatient Care: 400.- Baht

Does anyone know what is this for? Has anyone seen this before?

Edited by Morakot

I assume it is the cost of the outpatient visit (apart from the drug) and that this particular hospital charges differently for first and follow up visits.

Unless this was additional to a consulattion fee, it doesn't seem amiss.

Thanks Sheryl!

I see this is the fee for the doctor; the nurse administered the injection and there is a separate fee for this, called "Nursing and Midwifery Charge". There is no follow up scheduled. Would the different fee rate only apply in relation to this visit; it does not mean for any other (unrelated) visit, lets say within the next six months or so?

Edited by Morakot

Actually "nursing and midwifery charge" is usually just the hospital tack-on and unrelated to the nature of the service. The doctor's fee goes directly to the doctor. In addition to that hospitals have a flat charge per visit they tack on to cover the costs of the use of their physical facilities and staff (including admin, medical records, janitorial etc -- all the costs of the facility). Some hospitals call this "nursing fee", others call it differently. It has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not a nurse gave you an injection, nor (as some people erroneously think) with the taking of vital signs etc. It's just the hospital surcharge.

I don't know if the particular hospital you went to charges differently for initial and follow-up visits but the fact that the bill specified first visit suggests they may.

• Like 1

That is the normal billing terminology for doctors fee. It has nothing to do with being a 1st bill but likely the first doctor level.

On my bills from Vejthani it will be listed at end of paid bill as below.

1.2.1 Physician Evaluation and Management Services

...1.2.1(1) First Outpatient Care ((fee))

• Like 1