Family Life - Bangkok Vs Phuket ?

ArranP

Hello,

I am British, single father of 2 children (half thai/british) aged 5 and 2.

Currently we live in Phuket, my children goto British International School, every 3rd weekend they travel by plane with their nanny to Nakhon Sawan and spend the weekend with their mother/thai family. I would like them go every weekend and get more time with their mother/thai family, however due to cost, and the 7 hour trip each way, it means they take the friday and monday off school.

I am contemplating moving to Bangkok, sending them to Bangkok Patana School and living in a compound near the school. The trip to Nakhon Sawan from Bangkok is only 2.5 hours by car, it means they can get time with the mother/thai family every weekend. My concern is that Bangkok may not be as nice a place as Phuket for them to grow up.

So I am faced with trading i) time with the mother/thai family with ii) their school/home life. Maybe Bangkok is not such a bad place to bring up children ? I don't know.

All comments welcome, thank you in helping me make my decision.

Thank you.

Regards

Arran.

PS (I work from home to location is not an issue from my work perspective)

What does Phuket offer that Bkk doesnt?

Dont believe everything you read about Bkk on these pages, mostly written by 2 week millionaires who think Bkk comprises of nothing more than Soi Cowboy or Nana Plaza.

The school you mention is located on soi Lasalle, Suk 105 if I remeber correctly, in the vicinity there are plenty of decent moo baans, an oasis of tranquility, you wouldnt even know you were in Bkk.

Rentals can be had from 25k per month, but better options are about 40/50 k per month, after that, how much is your budget?

Have a search for Bang Na area, located right on the highway, straight up the ring road to NS.

If you are concerned about Bkk, another option may well be Pak Chong/Kao Yai area just south of Korat, theres a school there, St Stephens?.

Search these forums its been discussed before, I can offer no comment on the school.

• Like 2

i think Bangkok is a great place for kids; its safe, lots of activities , clubs, plenty of other kids from all sorts of backgrounds and nationalities and some really good schools. The downsides are lack of open space and pollution and , depending on location, traffic/transport issues. IMO the city can be made easier by making sure you (and your kids) have easy access to the skytrain or underground (MRT) and also by being not too far from a park of some sort. BPS is a world class school with great facilities and I am sure your kids will love it. Like all the major international schools they have an efficient bus system and pick up all over the city. While I can understand why you don't want to be too far away from their school it is also not necessary to live right next door. You are putting your kids first which is right and also admirable, but also give some thought to yourself, where do you want to be? kids are more adaptable than us adults and, for sure , if you are not happy with where you are living they wont be.

• Like 1

i think Bangkok is a great place for kids; its safe, lots of activities , clubs, plenty of other kids from all sorts of backgrounds and nationalities and some really good schools. The downsides are lack of open space and pollution and , depending on location, traffic/transport issues. IMO the city can be made easier by making sure you (and your kids) have easy access to the skytrain or underground (MRT) and also by being not too far from a park of some sort. BPS is a world class school with great facilities and I am sure your kids will love it. Like all the major international schools they have an efficient bus system and pick up all over the city. While I can understand why you don't want to be too far away from their school it is also not necessary to live right next door. You are putting your kids first which is right and also admirable, but also give some thought to yourself, where do you want to be? kids are more adaptable than us adults and, for sure , if you are not happy with where you are living they wont be.

Thank you WordChild

I have lived both places with my family. With the exception of cleaner air, Phuket has nothing to offer that Bangkok doesnt. Bangkok can be cheaper and more interesting with better transportation options. I am back in BKK and my family is much happier.