Thailand's Commerce Ministry Admits Mistake In April's Export Figure

webfact

Commerce Ministry admits mistake in April's export figure
By Digital Media

1369968383284.jpg

BANGKOK, May 31 – The Commerce Ministry has announced an unexpected u-turn on Thailand’s export growth in April from an earlier report at 10.52 per cent to a 2.89 per cent year-on-year.

Vatchari Vimooktayon, permanent secretary for commerce, said the correct volume of Thailand’s exports in April was US$17.409 billion, or a 2.89 per cent increase from April 2012.

In baht terms, April’s exports were Bt506.210 billion, or 1.89 per cent lower than the same period last year, she said.

In a press conference on May 23, Ms Vatcharee reported Thailand’s export volume in April at US$18.698 billion, or a percentage growth of 10.52 year-on-year.

She also reported on that day the country’s exports to Hong Kong reached US$2.177 billion, or a surge by 176.6 per cent compared to April 2012.

Ms Vatchai said a review with the Customs Department found an error in the export figure to Hong Kong, which when corrected was only US$887 million, and not US$2.177 billion as earlier announced.

“After all the figures were consolidates, we found that the country’s exports in April increased by only 2.89 per cent,” she admitted. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-05-31

PTP are fully aware that Thais have the attention span of a flea. Thats one of the reasons for so many people making announcements.. an attempt to bore the general population.. You ask thais if they are interested in politics..... boring .. will be the answer 9 out of 10 times.

We know they don't teach sums very well in Thai Schools, but hey.....a Thai person has admitted they made a mistake....and they didn't say it was someone else's fault despite massive loss of face. Things must be improving..LOL.

• Like 1

Well, I didn't see anyone here believe them in the original thread.

Why don't they also publish how much this lowers government income since they collect taxes on these numbers? Why don't they publish how much this increased the government deficit for the same period?

Are rice exports up (sales to China) to make up the difference? cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Well, I didn't see anyone here believe them in the original thread.

Why don't they also publish how much this lowers government income since they collect taxes on these numbers? Why don't they publish how much this increased the government deficit for the same period?

Are rice exports up (sales to China) to make up the difference? cheesy.gif

I've got to give you this one NS. thumbsup.gif

If I was a conspiracy theorist (which I'm not) I could imagine that the government deliberatly published disinformation about the state of exports until after the BOT had dropped the rate AND enforced capital controls on bonds, that way overseas money would keep flooding in on the basis of excellent export growth and buyers wouldn't be able to
reverse/withdraw those funds stariaght away because of the newly implemented capital controls, hmmmm! But you mislead us the investors will cry, so sorry we made an accounting mistake they'll answer.

If I was a conspiracy theorist (which I'm not) I could imagine that the government deliberatly published disinformation about the state of exports until after the BOT had dropped the rate AND enforced capital controls on bonds, that way overseas money would keep flooding in on the basis of excellent export growth and buyers wouldn't be able to

reverse/withdraw those funds stariaght away because of the newly implemented capital controls, hmmmm! But you mislead us the investors will cry, so sorry we made an accounting mistake they'll answer.

Surely not. It's not as though a banker would try to use a white lie to manipulate a market.