How To Embarrass Checkout Staff Messing Around With One Customer.

thaibeachlovers

I tell them "jep shee shee" and they lose face and check you out much faster.

So to embarrass a check out person you tell them it hurts when you take a piss? (in baby speak no less)
With all due respect, you sound like the 'friend' in front. Some of the people behind may be on their 20 minute break between 2 7 hour shifts but so what, who cares.

i don't think that staff behind a reception desk in a hotel need to take their break ALL at the same time, do they ???

But in TH one can expect everything. it's really ANNOYING how they just dont care if one has to wait, especially when you are Falang... The chit chat on the phone or watching one of those stupid soaps is more important than helping waiting people !!!

Unfortunately it will NEVER change.... talking about a BANANA republic.... whistling.gif

Do you speak Thai? Probably not Thai people. Burmese are taking over the hotel biz. Yell at them in Burmese and see what happens.biggrin.png

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just fart really loud and smelly with a smile on my face.sick.gif

Works for me.thumbsup.gif

Just as long as you do not follow through,they really laugh and love it when a Farang shits his rompers

Could be that if you act like grown ups then they will treat you with the respect you so desperately seek

Some children take time to respect us adults.

And we cannot slap these naughty children who are sat picking nits from each others hair or generally ignoring us.

So to embarrass a check out person you tell them it hurts when you take a piss? (in baby speak no less)
With all due respect, you sound like the 'friend' in front. Some of the people behind may be on their 20 minute break between 2 7 hour shifts but so what, who cares.

i don't think that staff behind a reception desk in a hotel need to take their break ALL at the same time, do they ???

But in TH one can expect everything. it's really ANNOYING how they just dont care if one has to wait, especially when you are Falang...  The chit chat on the phone or watching one of those stupid soaps is more important than helping waiting people !!!

Unfortunately it will NEVER change....  talking about a BANANA republic....  Posted Image

Do you speak Thai?  Probably not Thai people.  Burmese are taking over the hotel biz.  Yell at them in Burmese and see what happens.Posted Image

I can't wait to see all the 'burmese speaking' farang linguists here on Thaivisa zealously correcting peoples Burmese

• Like 1

Just imagine back in your home country if a clerk was doing the same and you told them "It hurts when I go pee pee." You'll see how foolish you look.

Indeed....

It appears that a human grown up version of a Ralph Whiggam lives! And he shops in Thailand!!

see my signature

I

I

I

I

v

Edited by samran

Ahhh Payboy, have you been in the 7-11 opposite the D2 in the Night Bazaar road in Chiang Mai lately ? I was in there recently and there was an odd smell in the candy section.

If the guy in front of me in the queue told the checkout girl that it hurt when he pissed she would probably direct him to the nearest clinic.

Edited by mikemac

Just say excuse me, or nong if she he looks younger, or just kothot krap (excuse me) in Thai.. And spelling geeks go have fun with that one... My pronounciation is perfect i just never learned to read/write Thai, and that is the way I would write it in english

Be nice to others and they will be nice to you as well...

Nothing with typing phonetics. Makes things a lot clearer smile.png

Not much purpose in getting rude beyond kor tort, but the best I've ever seen in Thailand was:

- A middle aged Thai couple sitting in a very big branch Black xxxxxx

- Called the waiting staff several times before they got a response.

- Response from waitress was to dump a menu on the table with no greeting / no recognition whatever of the customers, and

at same time continued her conversation without pause with another waitress.

- Customers had to call several times for a waitress to take their order, waitress again continued her conversation with her colleague

and the order had to be repeated several times before the order process was finished.

- Food came late, then customer discovered that one set of fork and spoon, wrapped in a tissue, was dirty.

- Customer called waitress to the table, waitress didn't speak one word and she didn't look concerned, but proceeded to wipe the spoon and fork on her apron then walked away.

- The Thai wife by this stage was ready to kill. She stood up, loudly called the waitress back and demanded that the waitress sit down, then put the still not clean fork and spoon in the waitress hand and demanded that she eat.

- Waitress refused to eat, customer repeatedly insisted, waitress now very intimidated and in tears.

- Manager arrived and was told very clearly by the Thai wife (and her husband) that they were insulted.

- Manager apologized, and then in front of the 'audience' sent the waitress home.

Somehow I doubt that couple ever returned to the same chain.

• Like 1

Could be that if you act like grown ups then they will treat you with the respect you so desperately seek

Big joke... the word 'respect' is not to be found in their dictionary... They cant help it, this is for hundreds of years... coffee1.gif

Just say excuse me, or nong if she he looks younger, or just kothot krap (excuse me) in Thai.. And spelling geeks go have fun with that one... My pronounciation is perfect i just never learned to read/write Thai, and that is the way I would write it in english

Be nice to others and they will be nice to you as well...

Nothing with typing phonetics. Makes things a lot clearer smile.png

Not much purpose in getting rude beyond kor tort, but the best I've ever seen in Thailand was:

- A middle aged Thai couple sitting in a very big branch Black xxxxxx

- Called the waiting staff several times before they got a response.

- Response from waitress was to dump a menu on the table with no greeting / no recognition whatever of the customers, and

at same time continued her conversation without pause with another waitress.

- Customers had to call several times for a waitress to take their order, waitress again continued her conversation with her colleague

and the order had to be repeated several times before the order process was finished.

- Food came late, then customer discovered that one set of fork and spoon, wrapped in a tissue, was dirty.

- Customer called waitress to the table, waitress didn't speak one word and she didn't look concerned, but proceeded to wipe the spoon and fork on her apron then walked away.

- The Thai wife by this stage was ready to kill. She stood up, loudly called the waitress back and demanded that the waitress sit down, then put the still not clean fork and spoon in the waitress hand and demanded that she eat.

- Waitress refused to eat, customer repeatedly insisted, waitress now very intimidated and in tears.

- Manager arrived and was told very clearly by the Thai wife (and her husband) that they were insulted.

- Manager apologized, and then in front of the 'audience' sent the waitress home.

Somehow I doubt that couple ever returned to the same chain.

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Wondering if the same would happen when it was a Farang couple....

Big joke... the word 'respect' is not to be found in their dictionary... They cant help it, this is for hundreds of years... coffee1.gif

Hello HOOD Robin,

Completely incorrect my friend. The Thai word(s) for respect "Thai language removed" pronounced kwaam kao-róp, literally means the act of respect, high regard, or high esteem.

Thai is a very direct language with a culture that is steeped in respect. One only has to look as far as the respect given to the King and Queen of this fine country to see a prime example of their respect in full action.

That is not to say that there are not individuals who have learnt bad habits, or just might be having a bad day.

I am sorry, but to imply a broad generalization that Thai's have no respect, and then claim that the word respect is not in their dictionary, is WRONG on both counts.

As regards to the couple of hundred years, that is wrong also. It may shock you to learn that Thailand only got the name "Thailand" on June 23, 1939. It was previously known as Siam. Now if you are refering to the collective Siam + Thailand cultural history, the country is in fact over 3000 years old.

Have a Great Day HOOD Robin!!

Telecom 66

Edited by metisdead
English is the only acceptable language, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.

Works every time. I am not Thai, so why the hell would I lose face over a silly 7 year old language skill? I actually bend my knees while saying it. All you politically correct folks here (kwai?) need to lighten up a bit.

I appreciate being somewhat understandable if/when I attempt a language. Politically correct.. huh?

Also, I actually tried to help you with language.. ('Jeb shee shee' sounds like you have a medical issue.) Anyway, going through all that trouble and I should lighten up.. mkay.. rolleyes.gif

But anyway, in a situation where people should speed up and I want to be a bit sarcastic about it, I'd say something like "if it's not convenient right now I can come back tomorrow?') Though to be honest I find most staff in most places very hard working. And that goes twice for 7-11 staff in nightlife areas, having to deal with drunk idiots. (present company excepted of course, just ranting a bit.)

You may have been trying to help but you made no effort to explain the difference in vocabulary so all you did was deride his choice of words. And for those of us who know nid noi Thai we didn't learn anything from your critique.

In general I would say Thai's at 7-11 work hard but at Thai Wasadu they are ignorant, the management is, not the staff. Thai Wasadu has about 100 staff standing in the aisles with their thumbs up their rears and then when you reach the check out area there are 20 customers and only 1 or 2 cashiers. Then look over behind the customer service counter there are 10 clerks again doing F all while all the customers wait to pay.

• Like 1

This happened to me once in my early days in LoS. My Thai was non-existant and I was probably erring way too much on the side of not offending etc. Anyhow I stood for a while (probably seemed longer) as I was about to go to another checkout, a "well-to-do" Thai lady comes up behind me. I turn to her and kind of shrug my shoulders, slight palms up - "whats a person to do?" hand gesture.

A millisecond later "Nong Ka!!!!!" she says and proceeds to give her a few stern words - my stuff seemed to teleport itself into the bags.

On a slight tangent. My wife (not Thai) told me in Big __ one day that she could not find the bras. She said she was going to ask one of the assistants. I was rather skeptical to say the least. The young guy says "Ok Brassiere - you come with me" and takes her directly there. Brassiere - LoL - never know what you are going to get!

Good times.

Being held up by checkout staff having a chat with her friend?

Talking to a colleague next to her?

Talking to a Thai client on the phone?

The situation is different and requires different responses.

I just fart really loud and smelly with a smile on my face.sick.gif

Works for me.thumbsup.gif

How can you fart if you are not ready to? How can you smell if you have not been drinking beer or eating beans?

The trick is to always keep some gas in the tankwink.png

An old schoolboy trick.w00t.gif

There is a tightrope of a fine balance one must tread between expelling enough gas to send the checkout operative into double time or risk the dreaded "follow through"hit-the-fan.gif

Thankfully i've only had that misfortune the once at a 7/11 on Koh Chang after many large Changs.

The staff assumed that i was a "ting tong" tourist and quickly double bagged my bottle of large Chang and 2 strawsthumbsup.gif luckily it was just a turtles headgiggle.gif

CCC

Ahhh Payboy, have you been in the 7-11 opposite the D2 in the Night Bazaar road in Chiang Mai lately ? I was in there recently and there was an odd smell in the candy section.

If the guy in front of me in the queue told the checkout girl that it hurt when he pissed she would probably direct him to the nearest clinic.

Chiangmai night bazaar, you say? That's the one I barfed in once. :(

• Like 1

Just saying: Puut gaeng. will be enough most of the time.

Or if you really wanna insult them you can say...

Kwai puut mak loey = the buffalo speaks alot!

(Third party might laugh but think your rude)

Or

Nok kaew nok khun duern! = a small bird that goes jib jib jib all day...(will be considered a joke by most but cashier will get the picture)

But the best approach would be as some others say.

Check out dai mai krab?

OR my favorite (ask for the manager)

Pu chart garn juti nai krab?

That usually speeds them up they dont want someone complaining with the mangager...that can cost them their job.

Edited by Evolare

mmmmmmm I was taught by my Mrs - bai hong nam, jep tawng yeeow krub. But it was never something you said at the check-out. Although I have used the diarrhea excuse (tawng sia) to get an aisle seat on an aircraft,

I am so glad I am retired. Thailand is a country not suited to those in a hurry, to do anything. It is well know that farangs are a terribly impatient lot. In a land where patience is truly a virtue.

The funny part about it is, that if this happened in my home country I would probably go ballistic. I would have the men in white coats coming to get me. Back in Australia I am probably red flagged on every consumer database in the country as a person to avoid.

But in Thailand, the minute I step off the plane, I undergo a metamorphosis, kinda like the Incredible Hulk in reverse.

I find it is cathartic.

I expect it. I am mentally prepared for it. I treat like a game, a test of wills, where I try to win at all costs by proving to the thais I am not a farang stereotype. As we stereotype others,

you can catch more flies with honey, than you will ever catch with vinegar, especially in the LOS.

There are way of doing things.

Has anyone heard about patience? whistling.gif

He only wanted to get served, not put them in hospital for having a chat..................

OH, patience, thought it read patients...................sad.png

Coat on, door open, gone.........................tongue.png

Has anyone heard about patience? whistling.gif

Sure, I've heard about patience, but when the checkout girl is just messing about having a jolly good old time with another staff member, and I've been standing there for 5 minutes with my one item, I think it's a bit beyond the pale.

For those that thought she might have been on her break, no, she wasn't.

mmmmmmm I was taught by my Mrs - bai hong nam, jep tawng yeeow krub. But it was never something you said at the check-out. Although I have used the diarrhea excuse (tawng sia) to get an aisle seat on an aircraft,

I am so glad I am retired. Thailand is a country not suited to those in a hurry, to do anything. It is well know that farangs are a terribly impatient lot. In a land where patience is truly a virtue.

The funny part about it is, that if this happened in my home country I would probably go ballistic. I would have the men in white coats coming to get me. Back in Australia I am probably red flagged on every consumer database in the country as a person to avoid.

But in Thailand, the minute I step off the plane, I undergo a metamorphosis, kinda like the Incredible Hulk in reverse.

I find it is cathartic.

I expect it. I am mentally prepared for it. I treat like a game, a test of wills, where I try to win at all costs by proving to the thais I am not a farang stereotype. As we stereotype others,

you can catch more flies with honey, than you will ever catch with vinegar, especially in the LOS.

There are way of doing things.

I agree ( about Thailand ), but this was in Tops, Central- lots of farangs- not the village shop in Nakon Nowhere, and I had just popped down to pick up one item before my movie started.