Are Any Dhl Import Tax On Amazon Books In Thailand?

Sandman77

Hello!

Are all books in Thailand import free when it will send from amazon eu or us, and areived by dhl?

How much dhl charge here in Thailand also when value is higher and I order more books Iam not sure about custom duty and tax itself on books in Thailand?

DHL don't levy tax on anything. However, they will levy and pass on the charges that Thai Customs impose on any imports received via DHL courier.

I have always noted that the most frequent complaint on these pages is when someone chooses to ship a sizeable amount of purchases via the courier services. Most common 'problem' was with vitamins and other pharmaceuticals which would attract more attention anyway.

I am pretty sure that there is a published rate for new books and hopefully someone with experience will post. When buying my cigars from Hong Kong, I only order 1 box at a time. They come via the Thai postal system and I pay the import tax when I go to collect the stogies from the post office. I was advised that ordering 3 or more boxes would incur a higher rate of import taxation. If you order a couple of books, tax may be ignored or the proper rate applied. However, if you ship 10 or 20 books, that may attract a much higher but totally legal import duty.

Via couriers like DHL nothing is ignored, in fact IMO far more than the minimum required is usually charged.

Much better to have Amazon ship to a friend or forwarding service and have them sent cheapest-rate via the regular postal service.

If small/light package and you can make the book appear second-hand then very likely the additional cost will be minimal in some cases maybe even zero.

I hope I am not too far off the topic.

Thai people hardly ever seen reading. This is compensated by talking a lot on mobiles. The overall impression is that each child is born with a mobile clutched in hand.

Closer to OP. Why bother nowadays to buy printed books? Why not use E-Readers?

Just received by Airmail an e-book with 684 books loaded. Cost of mail $32. Tax - zero. Reason? - There are no e-books for sale in Thailand. No demand...

Now go back to the opening of this post. biggrin.png

I would recommend using any other courier besides DHL. DHL Thailand has a track record of charging (overcharging) for any shipments from overseas. I am currently in a tussle with them over importing an item covered under the ASEAN/China FTA and despite the item clearly being "exempt" they are still pushing me to pay ฿6,750 for Customs duty. The shipment has been held for over a week already and they aren't budging despite having all the required documentation. I've had this same experience with DHL Thailand in the past. Never had a problem using FedEx, UPS, or even the regular Postal service. My advise would be to avoid the frustration and find another courier to use.

I get on regular basis books sent from Amazon in Europe, until now I never needed to pay any tax.

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Very interesting.

Direct from Amazon Europe? Which courier(s)? Have you ever done a large number at a time?

And could you estimate the added cost per book above the website's sticker price?

I thought Books were officially zero rated here for customs (I could be wrong)

I've definitely ordered stuff from Amazon for shipment to here (although it's not quick). I've never had to pay anything.

I've definitely ordered stuff from Amazon for shipment to here (although it's not quick). I've never had to pay anything.

I have bought stuff off amazon and been hit with extra payments by DHL, they use an estimated import duty that is way over the top, they charged me 1200 baht($40) on a purchase of $60 including delivery(half of it), if you dont pay you dont get it. It is an estimated cost and no matter how much I complained that I was entitled to see an official receipt by the thai govt for the extra payment it was not forth coming. Supposedly you only pay import duties if it is over 1000 baht, my buy was under but the shipping took it over. DHL are one big rip off and must make a fortune in their bullshit import fees.

I know for sure that in Australia there is zero tax on single books import. It is considered like taxing knowledge. smile.png Here I am not sure. Besides if one brings more copies - it is merchandise, isn't it? biggrin.png

Hi!

Thx for your input!

No one can read a book on a e reader!

It's not healty for the eyes!

Amazon Germany send always with dhl even dhl is united. With German post every company sadly use dhl

The most fake on amazon is the payment of import tax, and over charged shipping price for a DVD recorder want 70€ Postage for a game console only 16€

On low price item the amount of tax is sometime 300 procent higher then die item price itself! I don't know. About other amazons does us and uk also send with. Dhl?

In uk I never order because the never reply me to my qustions !

Us and German response quickly!

How about the cd DVD import tax?

I look the website of custom duty. Still not find out what. Vallue is tax free ?when the amount is low?