Are Thais The Worst Drivers In The World?

The one big thai plague: tailgating. I saw again several examples of three to five cars, vans, SUV's following each other at 2 m distance at high speed on the fast lane... Still struggling to find a coherent reason for this behavior. cheesy.gif

Very frustrating when I want to keep my distance, but people keep shuffling in one by one.

Also, I noticed the following when driving on the motorway and on the expressway (above Bang-na trad).

Motorway: speed limit = 120 km/h -> I feel like I am one of the only one whose going 120 km/h. Most people are going 100 or 110.

Expressway: speed limit as indicated = 80km/h -> Most people going well over 110 km/h.

Motorway = 5 lanes of very nice pavement and very wide

Expressway = 3 lanes and quite narrow

Edited by JoeW
  • Like 1

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My conclusion about LOS driving is it is a mindset thing. My mrs has convinced me of that. We hear about the face thingy a lot here, that is what it is about, ''Must be in front'', f...... you , PLUS, the lack of common sense, plus the lack of police intervention with numnuts. sad.png

Spot on !clap2.gif

• Like 1

The one big thai plague: tailgating. I saw again several examples of three to five cars, vans, SUV's following each other at 2 m distance at high speed on the fast lane... Still struggling to find a coherent reason for this behavior. cheesy.gif

Very frustrating when I want to keep my distance, but people keep shuffling in one by one.

Also, I noticed the following when driving on the motorway and on the expressway (above Bang-na trad).

Motorway: speed limit = 120 km/h -> I feel like I am one of the only one whose going 120 km/h. Most people are going 100 or 110.

Expressway: speed limit as indicated = 80km/h -> Most people going well over 110 km/h.

You don't get fined if you're below 120 on either road. If you exceed the rated speed limit it can be used against you if you're in an accident but you don't get fined for speeding unless you exceed 120.

Yes that's right, you see dots on the toll ways and signs that says min 2 dots distance but impossible to do as cars/trucks squeeze in between you and the vehicle in front of you.

If people could stop thinking that you are getting faster to your destination when you shifting lanes constantly and in heavily trafficked roads that you are not getting there faster when doing that. You will also be much more stressed and maybe ends up in a road rage incident.

People driving super cars are really acting like they owns the roads and nobody dare question them, once saw a Lamborghini shifting lanes very quickly at high speed. I must admit it was a awesome sight/sound when he passed and the car was like glued to the road.

If I had a car like that, I would off-course not do such a thingwhistling.gifrolleyes.gif

Edited by guzzi850m2

I've read that the number one cause of death in Thailand is traffic accidents.

It's not heart disease,cancer or any other medical illness

This is a fatal mental illness that kills innocents too!

Aren't being stupid, selfish and myopic reasons for losing face too? cowboy.gif

For me India was the worst. Followed closely by Syria and Egypt, West Africa comes next but the limiting factor on the driving there was that at the time it was difficult to find anything that could manage to get over 50 KPH.

In comparison to those mentioned Thailand is not that bad, still bad but not that bad and slightly less frantic than Vietnam, where I wasn't allowed to drive anyway.

Like most my comparrisons are based on the safer and more controlled driving in Europe, but, then again I haven't driven In Europe since 2002/3

Yes that's right, you see dots on the toll ways and signs that says min 2 dots distance but impossible to do as cars/trucks squeeze in between you and the vehicle in front of you.

If people could stop thinking that you are getting faster to your destination when you shifting lanes constantly and in heavily trafficked roads that you are not getting there faster when doing that. You will also be much more stressed and maybe ends up in a road rage incident.

People driving super cars are really acting like they owns the roads and nobody dare question them, once saw a Lamborghini shifting lanes very quickly at high speed. I must admit it was a awesome sight/sound when he passed and the car was like glued to the road.

If I had a car like that, I would off-course not do such a thingwhistling.gifrolleyes.gif

Yeah, the lane-shifting and racing is another issue. I had a Pajero (white and covered with accessories) tailgating me this Sunday... When I gave way, it proceeded to then swerve around other cars on a pretty busy road.

As to tailgating, what baffles me is that you often have a bunch of up to 5 cars following each other closely, then a huge expanse of empty road behind them. You really wonder what is the point in doing this, as they won't even be earning a second by not keeping their distances. I generally avoid such "convoys" like hell. If I am tailgated, I will accelerate sufficiently, then give way after having overtaken the other cars.

Yeah, the lane-shifting and racing is another issue. I had a Pajero (white and covered with accessories) tailgating me this Sunday... When I gave way, it proceeded to then swerve around other cars on a pretty busy road.

As to tailgating, what baffles me is that you often have a bunch of up to 5 cars following each other closely, then a huge expanse of empty road behind them. You really wonder what is the point in doing this, as they won't even be earning a second by not keeping their distances. I generally avoid such "convoys" like hell. If I am tailgated, I will accelerate sufficiently, then give way after having overtaken the other cars.

Same

You don't get fined if you're below 120 on either road. If you exceed the rated speed limit it can be used against you if you're in an accident but you don't get fined for speeding unless you exceed 120.

I know about that rule, but I was just wondering why they drive 100 on the motorway but more than a 100 on the expressway.

Tailgating

I think it's extreme lacck of brain cells.....and so unrelaxing.

I always try to point out to people that tailgating means it is much SLOWER to overtake NOT FASTERthan if you wait your moment then accelerate from well behind and overtake much faster with the built up speed.

This unintelligence comes across in spades when cars pulling out from left into two three or four lanes of traffic will NOT pull out into the nearest lane then build up speed and move across to the right lane they desire. They will stick their nose out halfway across said lane stopping traffic for minutes and wasting their time until ALL lanes are clear so they cross all the way in one go.

I honestly have come to the conclusion that the Thai mind just doesn't visualise the same as us. It's the same reason motorcycles will regularly get parked literally six inches in front OR BEHIND WHERE YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE IT your car often when there is plenty of space..

This is not helped by the extreme apathy of authority.

How difficult would it be to make 90% of the country know a few, say 8, extremely simple rules......like who has right of way on a roundabout...........or that straight on has right of way......by having TV campaigns (I envisage funny two minute comedy skits with Pooky and Tong and Noi.,.... the Thais would love it,.... and their ignorance of the most basic road knowledge costs lives and spoils lives every day!

Edited by cheeryble
  • Like 2

In Los Angeles, it's a mix of driving types with the most common types being super-aggressive-get-out-of-my-way and the oblivious mobile-phone user. There is also the I'm-always-right types and the I-don't-care-what's-behind-me.

Numerous times, I've pulled out of a busy soi or forced my way into a busy lane, expecting someone to pull along side me and give me the finger or honk their horn for a minute. I must be still used to LA traffic.

In Thailand, it's much more relaxed and slow. However once in a while you'll encounter someone who has been entitled the rights to the entire road.

Could be that people are much more cautious because vehicles are very expensive.

One thing that always irked me about american driving were the pedestrians, either the super hard gangster or the super proud person who walks in front of a car at a leisurely pace because they had 'the right of way'.

I like nature's rule...the bigger more massive entity gets the right of way.

Compared to many other countries Thailand's driving is relatively safe. India, Indonesia & any high-Andean country are all more scary for me. There is one factor that does need to be taken into account when driving in Thailand though.

Decision making skills....or lack thereof.

There is no doubt that some Thais have excellent decision making skills but, due to a lack of driver training, they are not available as a standard when driving. If you examine the western driving lessons they are all heavily based on giving sensible options for people to be able to make snap decisions. Here, without (effective) driver training, it is not the same.

This is, unfortunately, a cultural issue. Who (western) gets irritated when they go to a restaurant and the server stands over them? This is the same problem as to why drivers can't make decisions and it seems like each to their own out there. Ever wondered about the maniacally waving and whistle-blowing policeman? Same thing. People in Thailand (and some other Asian countries) like to show respect through deference. Entering a restaurant and asking what they recommend is just being well-mannered and looking for assistance in forming an opinion. In the West a decent restaurant has a descriptive menu to allow people to make decisions based on semantic expressions of flavours. We might, at a push, ask a waiter for a wine recommendation to go with our meal, but mostly would prefer to make our OWN decisions.

Translate this back into driving and you'll see why the road behaviour is the way it is. People here look to others to make their decisions for them. This is why BKK riders can happily ride through the gaps between the cars whilst they move and know that they will stay in place most of the time. They are simply following the next person.

Just curious - how long did it take you guys to learn how to put your own socks on after leaving Mom's care?

biggrin.png

Socks? Whats that? sad.png

Putting on socks is to driving, as Mom is to nanny state ;)

• Like 1

I know about that rule, but I was just wondering why they drive 100 on the motorway but more than a 100 on the expressway.

You're talking about the BKK Chonburi motorway right? There are speed cameras on it - there aren't any between the tollgates on the upper level of the Bang Na - Trat. They probably can't maintain their speed well (it's only recently become a necessity - most drivers can't do it) so they need some buffering room.

.WARNING: THIS VIDEO CONTAINS GRAPHIC SCENES AND SHOULD BE VIEWED WITH CAUTION

I think these guys are in the running for unbelievable.

And how much money do they control on this planet? Too much!

Is that an arm or leg that ends up on the street?

http://youtu.be/t2ZaNBhmq7g

I feel sorry for the spectators. Loads of videos show the same as they just get smashed by crashing cars. Good spectator sport if one survives until the next day.

"Saudi drifting driving".

edit: spelling

Edited by SeaVisionBurma
added graphic content warning

Many Ferangs come here with their idea of Experience and Superiority over Thais. "Ive ad a Licence for 35 Years and never an accident". Hardly surprising .They only drive from the Factory back Home in a Fiesta .Plus one weeks Car Rental in Benidorm. Then they come here,buy a Clonky Truck,something they wouldn't be seen dead in on Wapping High Street.... Or Lisbon Flower Market in My Case.!.giggle.gif Then they Class all Thai Drivers as Idiots. Not On Guys..sad.png

One should NEVER say you have never had an accident, noooooooooooooo. It may come and bite you. Law of averages etc. smile.png

• Like 1

Anyone claiming that has not traveled very much. How about Indonesia, Philippines, not to mention places like Pakistan, India, quite a few countries in Africa, etc. Driving in Thailand is relaxed compared to those places.

I'd say that most foreign drivers in Thailand don't drive very much and have little or no experience of driving anywhere other than their homeland.......and as for the OP - yes, I'd say the comments indicate a lack of international driving experience.

• Like 2

I think these guys are in the running for unbelievable.

And how much money do they control on this planet? Too much!

Is that an arm or leg that ends up on the street?

http://youtu.be/t2ZaNBhmq7g

I feel sorry for the spectators. Loads of videos show the same as they just get smashed by crashing cars. Good spectator sport if one survives until the next day.

"Saudi drifting driving".

edit: spelling

So the last guy in the car that came flying out must have been an Olympic games wanna be. He did the thriple somersault with the right twist your arm off at the end of the Corolla criss-cross and overturn many times.

Edited by BSJ

I have to agree about India and Indonesia also. The painted lines on the road are just for decoration. wink.png

I do like the fact that in Jakarta they use their horns and no one really cares :P

I have to agree about India and Indonesia also. The painted lines on the road are just for decoration. wink.png

I do like the fact that in Jakarta they use their horns and no one really cares tongue.png

thumbsup.gif

They just want to let you know they are nearby. biggrin.png

I do like the fact that in Jakarta they use their horns and no one really cares tongue.png

thumbsup.gif

They just want to let you know they are nearby. biggrin.png

Horn usage goes to the Vietnamese. India is a close 2nd.

I have to agree about India and Indonesia also. The painted lines on the road are just for decoration. Posted Image

I do like the fact that in Jakarta they use their horns and no one really cares Posted Image

Posted Image

They just want to let you know they are nearby. Posted Image

Horn usage goes to the Vietnamese. India is a close 2nd.

At least it doesn't lead to gunfights there. :rolleyes: