Women Rangers: A Brave Force In Thailand's Violence-Prone South

webfact

Some excellent posts in this thread Sunshine, very well stated.

I would just like to add that when women are integrated into these units, they become an equal to those standing on either side of them, and are accepted as such. Whereas counterparts is probably the correct word, comrades would be the one I would chose.

They live and operate together, each reliant on the other to have their backs in moments of crisis; this is the way they are trained. If anyone has doubts on the female's effectiveness, ask any one of the males in the unit.

Its all about teamwork when the fan gets dirty................wink.png

Some excellent posts in this thread Sunshine, very well stated.

I would just like to add that when women are integrated into these units, they become an equal to those standing on either side of them, and are accepted as such. Whereas counterparts is probably the correct word, comrades would be the one I would chose.

They live and operate together, each reliant on the other to have their backs in moments of crisis; this is the way they are trained. If anyone has doubts on the female's effectiveness, ask any one of the males in the unit.

Its all about teamwork when the fan gets dirty................wink.png

Well put chrisinth...I'm outta likes at the moment. For some reason an old Dire Straits song comes to mind...

Brothers In Arms.

Yes, I have. Submarines, but spent majority of the time in Brussels at NATO HQ. In this case, however, she is not a member of the military, rather a volunteer member of a paramilitary group.

I made the weapon comment because some posters here believe that a reporter running away from where the action is should be considered fair game if he gets killed . . . holding a camera.

Surely being part of a paramilitary group walking around with weapons should carry a greater risk than the former example of the photographer . . . added to the fact that she is in a war zone, not a protest zone.

I mean the woman no disrespect, I just find it odd that the same people seem to be more defensive of her than the photographer . . . and by 'counterparts' I was referring to the insurgents - my apologies for any confusion

Your attempt to hijack the thread is pretty pathetic, as is your division of zones. Has war been declared in southern Thailand? Were security forces not killed by the "peaceful protesters" in BKK?

Yes, I have. Submarines, but spent majority of the time in Brussels at NATO HQ. In this case, however, she is not a member of the military, rather a volunteer member of a paramilitary group.

I made the weapon comment because some posters here believe that a reporter running away from where the action is should be considered fair game if he gets killed . . . holding a camera.

Surely being part of a paramilitary group walking around with weapons should carry a greater risk than the former example of the photographer . . . added to the fact that she is in a war zone, not a protest zone.

I mean the woman no disrespect, I just find it odd that the same people seem to be more defensive of her than the photographer . . . and by 'counterparts' I was referring to the insurgents - my apologies for any confusion

Your attempt to hijack the thread is pretty pathetic, as is your division of zones. Has war been declared in southern Thailand? Were security forces not killed by the "peaceful protesters" in BKK?

Hijack? I was asked a question and answered it - if you have a problem with me then try to intellectualise it instead of spitting your dummy.

You're saying that Southern Thailand is not a war zone yet Bangkok is/was?

Interesting . . . but then it fits your overall profile. thumbsup.gif

Hijack? I was asked a question and answered it - if you have a problem with me then try to intellectualise it instead of spitting your dummy.

You're saying that Southern Thailand is not a war zone yet Bangkok is/was?

Interesting . . . but then it fits your overall profile. thumbsup.gif

YOU introduced the Italian photographer in post #15,and kept returning to the invalid comparison in 2 later posts, referring to a "war zone" and a "protest zone".

Neither are/were war zones, though BKK would have to be the closer to the definition with both armed insurrectionists with stated intent to overthrow the government by force, and declared live fire zones.

Fits your agenda well.

OzMick:

He does that... one of the downsides of using TV. Suggest using the 'Ignore' function. wink.png

Considering how most girls are brought up in this mighty fine country, they are indeed brave and a rare breed.

/quote function all to cock//

Edited by jackr
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's quite interesting to see the disdain for the Italian who was killed in Bangkok and the adoration for this soldier . . .

She placed herself into a dangerous position in a war zone - - a real one

The biggest difference I can see is that the Soldier was doing her duty for her countrymen for very little reward and the Italian was doing it for profit for a newspaper that was all about profit. Also, she did not choose her assignment, her ranking officers assigned her to her post. The photographer had every choice of where to post himself with no one ordering him to be anywhere at any time. Are you that thick or are you trolling that you can't see the difference?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's quite interesting to see the disdain for the Italian who was killed in Bangkok and the adoration for this soldier . . .

She placed herself into a dangerous position in a war zone - - a real one

The biggest difference I can see is that the Soldier was doing her duty for her countrymen for very little reward and the Italian was doing it for profit for a newspaper that was all about profit. Also, she did not choose her assignment, her ranking officers assigned her to her post. The photographer had every choice of where to post himself with no one ordering him to be anywhere at any time. Are you that thick or are you trolling that you can't see the difference?

I'm thick because I can't see the difference . . . thumbsup.gif Anytime you wish to match wits, my dear friend. Anytime.

Ok, you have made the spectacular discovery that there are differences between a photographer and a paramilitary volunteer. One rose to you, petal. 402.gif I clearly stated that there are none . . . well, according to you I did.

A paramilitary volunteer from the south to operate in the south . . . that is about as choosing your assignment as possible in the 'armed forces'. (And before you start on about how you were SAS, GSG9, a SEAL etc . . . yes, I was in the armed forces, albeit a lowly Lt in the Navy)

The volunteer paramilitary 'soldier' was paid very little for her work, which makes her contribution even more laudable. It's very sad that she lost her life, wqas killed, of that there is no doubt. I digress . . . your differential is money. Fine.

The photographer? I don't know how much he was earning, do you? Seeing as you call that for profit I guess he deserved to be shot. Another rose for you, petal. 402.gif

Thick, eh . . . How about it being thick responding to a post by moving the goalpost - obfuscating the issue to serve your own knee-jerk response? Being all high-and-mighty and challenging someone based on assertions you have just invented in a discussion?

Yes, well . . . have another rose for disingenuity, petal 402.gif