Thai Citizenship - Up's And Downs (British To Thai And Then Some!)

I thought that after the help of many people in this forum (I am not going to name as there are so many) I would post my experience about applying for Thai citizenship

Background:

I am in my early 40's came to Thailand on a whimb (I was 23 when I came to Thailand) - it stuck on me - so I stayed (18 years later - and trust me some stories I could go into but will not) I ended up here!

I am pretty well off I work hard!

Been married for 12 years; we have two kids 10 and 9 years old.

To be honest never really worried about visa's or the like as I have a company here and in the last 5 years I have worked for a corporate company - both of supply Visa and tax returns etc,..

Reasons:

It's true I can stay on the status I am right now (married to Thai - WP - company XX visa) I have all those options; BUT, I been here 18 years and its my home :) so I looked into that fact; and, hence I am here posting this. Turns out its not only easy to apply for TC - in theory - but near on impossible to achieve TC - so I am told. I hear waiting lists of 3-10 years - and yes I believe it! my only reason for posting here is to try to show and illustrate that process, as it may benefit someone...

I don't have a massive amount of time on my hands so I am asking if this would be - as I think - valuable to people?

show of hands will determine - like I said I got all the documents and process - will break it into sections like obtaining Yellow book etc,... (ALL helped with TV members!! hands up to them) just wanna consolidate it all into one topic,...

Cheers

Chris

I think the 10 year wait times are only few and far between. General waiting time is 3 to 5 years.

Applying not too hard if you live and work in Thailand earning a decent salary. Being married allows you to skip the PR route as well.

The difficulty/ease of applying comes down to your patience in lining up the required documents and your patience with getting your ducks lined up in a row. None of it is rocket science, most of what is asked for is to prove your bonafides. A relatively large amount of paperwork yes, but nothing hard.

The nationality department at Special Branch are incredibly friendly, and if it is clear you are a genuine applicant (which they can tell after a general chat with them) they'll be more then helpful in the application process.

But yes, post away, but best check out dbrenn's excellent contribution to the topic where he already has done a similar thing.

Edited by samran

As a Canadian if I did that I would lose 25% of all of my pensions from Canada. For me that is a LOT so it does not benefit me what so ever. You might want to check on that with your own country before making a decision.

As a Canadian if I did that I would lose 25% of all of my pensions from Canada. For me that is a LOT so it does not benefit me what so ever. You might want to check on that with your own country before making a decision.

Why does Canada do this? It wouldn't be as if you were giving up Canadian citizenship to get Thai citizenship.

As a brit I will not loose my British citizenship, however, by thai law I have to show intent to renounce it. Seeing as personally I have lived here for 18+ years I have no monetary ties with the uk.

Sent from my GT-I9300

I think the 10 year wait times are only few and far between. General waiting time is 3 to 5 years.

Applying not too hard if you live and work in Thailand earning a decent salary. Being married allows you to skip the PR route as well.

The difficulty/ease of applying comes down to your patience in lining up the required documents and your patience with getting your ducks lined up in a row. None of it is rocket science, most of what is asked for is to prove your bonafides. A relatively large amount of paperwork yes, but nothing hard.

The nationality department at Special Branch are incredibly friendly, and if it is clear you are a genuine applicant (which they can tell after a general chat with them) they'll be more then helpful in the application process.

But yes, post away, but best check out dbrenn's excellent contribution to the topic where he already has done a similar thing.

Totaly agree I gathered alot of information from there just wanted to make a new cleaner post in regards :)

Sent from my GT-I9300

Why does Canada do this? It wouldn't be as if you were giving up Canadian citizenship to get Thai citizenship.

I don't know really. I asked many years ago and that is what i was told. Maybe they figure I wouldn't be spending my whole pension in Canada so they would take 25% away.

Do you have PR? this would be the first step. After this it is possible and has been done

The Op is married to a Thai national and thus doesn't require to have PR first before applying for Thai nationality.

You have a better chance of winning the lottery than you have of getting Thai citizenship....

Simply untrue.

So could you give any examples of people who have gained citizenship and their experiences in getting it?

You have a better chance of winning the lottery than you have of getting Thai citizenship....

Simply untrue.

So could you give any examples of people who have gained citizenship and their experiences in getting it?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/74654-cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/121353-story-of-my-thai-citizenship-application/

I believe Newlymintedthai is also a citizen but hasn't specifically posted a thread about it. And of course there's Samran...

Edited by sustento

Not something I would be in any way interested in doing at my advanced state but I can fully understand someone in their late 30's/early 40's doing it.

For someone who has 'made their fortune' at that stage and is married with kids here then it is a perfectly acceptable way to go.

Don't know what effect it would have on any male children with regards to national service etc or if the children would have any choice in their country of allegiance.

I will follow the thread out of interest anyway.

Not something I would be in any way interested in doing at my advanced state but I can fully understand someone in their late 30's/early 40's doing it.

For someone who has 'made their fortune' at that stage and is married with kids here then it is a perfectly acceptable way to go.

Don't know what effect it would have on any male children with regards to national service etc or if the children would have any choice in their country of allegiance.

I will follow the thread out of interest anyway.

My kids are already British by birth - I just had to take my birth certificate and marriage certificate kids birth certificates and 5 weeks later I got passports back. Nevermind my worth! Its law :)

Sent from my GT-I9300

Simply untrue.

Mmm I think that is totally my point of this post!

:)

Sent from my GT-I9300

Simply untrue.
Mmm I think that is totally my point of this post!

:)

Sent from my GT-I9300

Like I said I am well off I have money - I looked at all the option's (I have top laywer working for me - company wise) but you have to want to be thai. Its not about money not about time its about you! You got it or not..

Sent from my GT-I9300

Simply untrue.

The Royal Gazette publishes people who have attained Thai citizenship. Press 'Search' and you'll get results of TV memebers who have got it, or are going through the process.

I received my Thai citizenship last August. I have a thread about it. I'm Australian and not married. My application took 5 years from submission to ID card in my hands.

Haven't really paid much attention to doing it myself, as I said before too old to bother now.

Genuine question, is it for life or does it have conditions attached, ie run out date and renewal or list of checks done after so many years etc?

What direct advantages have you found since getting TR.

I am not being sarcastic in any way, it's a genuine question

Congrat's by the way.

I received my Thai citizenship last August. I have a thread about it. I'm Australian and not married. My application took 5 years from submission to ID card in my hands.

Haven't really paid much attention to doing it myself, as I said before too old to bother now.

Genuine question, is it for life or does it have conditions attached, ie run out date and renewal or list of checks done after so many years etc?

Congrat's by the way.

It is for life. Theoretically could be revoked if you committee a serious crime etc.

So far, I have purchased land in Chiangmai under my own name, opened a company to conduct a business restricted to foreigners, don't need a work permit, have travelled extensively in SE Asia without needing visas, opened bank accounts without hassle, Spode through immigration at the airport by using the passport scan machines etc. However, most of all, it gives me security. I am here to stay and I can't be kicked out at the whim of immigration.

The last sentence is probably the one that keeps a few awake at night.

Being retired here and with a fair income from UK it doesn't bother me too much. I have no obligations back in UK and no kids to worry about, here or anywhere.

I really can't see the rules changing with regard to the money being required for married or retired people by a massive amount in the near future.

The people most at risk are the unfortunate ones who have to rely on the UK state pension alone, really stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Congrat's by the way.

It is for life. Theoretically could be revoked if you committee a serious crime etc.

So far, I have purchased land in Chiangmai under my own name, opened a company to conduct a business restricted to foreigners, don't need a work permit, have travelled extensively in SE Asia without needing visas, opened bank accounts without hassle, Spode through immigration at the airport by using the passport scan machines etc. However, most of all, it gives me security. I am here to stay and I can't be kicked out at the whim of immigration.

Extremely interesting ! Being here for 23 years, speaking fluently Thai, married to a local, now retired here, but never thought there were real advantages in going through the process, but your perspective is making me thinking again, as your path has not been seemingly being successfully taken by many. Congratulations for your patience and perseverance. But will probably not consider it now given my age.

Congrat's by the way.

Extremely interesting ! Being here for 23 years, speaking fluently Thai, married to a local, now retired here, but never thought there were real advantages in going through the process, but your perspective is making me thinking again, as your path has not been seemingly being successfully taken by many. Congratulations for your patience and perseverance. But will probably not consider it now given my age.

Being retired you do not qualify anyway.

Congrat's by the way.

Ok BACK!

Same deal for me Like I said I can do without, but may as well as not planning on returning to UK - so my life is here.....

The time horizon is definitely something of a concern these days. For applicants without the connections to get on the fast track it now seems to be taking 3-5 years just to be invited for the MoI interview and even after that some people have heard nothing more 2-3 years after their interviews. Several of those who applied before 2008 got their ID cards 3 years after application without special connections but that now seems to be a distant memory. As suggested elsewhere the burden placed on the MoI by the 2008 Nationality Act provisions to allow those born in Thailand to alien parents before 1992 might have something to do with this. Who knows? The whole thing is very opaque.

Anyway, it is still worth applying and getting in the queue because you will never get it, if you don't apply and it is not that difficult or expensive, although some perseverance is required. Also the regulations might get more difficult but these things are rarely retroactive for people already in the queue. Hopefully the logjam will ease in the not too distant future, like the PR logjam did suddenly last year.

Edited by Arkady