Options For Cooling Down A Room

gavin310

My house is hot. Right now when I work on my computer I have to sit outside, but I want to get a desk and nice comfy office chair and have an office in my house. The office room only has 3 walls, so it's not going to trap any cool air. I don't want to install a/c in this house or in that room because there's too many places for hot air to come in and cold air to go out, so it would be very expensive. I just want to feel cool while I'm working and have the air in the general area cooler so my computer won't overheat. What options do I have and what's the cost? I know there are small portable a/c units but I've heard they're a waste of money. Should I just tie a bag of ice to a fan or is there a better way?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have very high ceilings, a long stem ceiling fan will help. Other than that, AC is the only other practical solution in Thailand. Probably too much humidity for swamp coolers and those fans that blow a water vapour spray from a tank are not effective indoors after a few minutes. They just turn the room into a sauna.

The portable units I saw recently in Homepro seemed quite good and less than 10,000baht.

Tim what size room would that cool and are they a refrigerated air con or fill with water type?

Sent from my LG-E612 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I've found a couple of swing fans in a room with decent ventilation to be sufficient, but my body's gotten acclimated over the years.

But I do sweat while I'm working, and most of my friends complain they can't stand it when they come by with their notebooks.

The portable units aren't "worthless" but if you're going to be there a while it'd be more cost-effective to seal the room best you can, can get spray-insulation cans to fill in gaps, and then put in a properly sized split unit, place it so the downdraft falls right on your desk area and in that case don't use a fan.

Or if you're long-term resident and out in the countryside a small well-insulated purpose-built room will pay for itself and be most comfortable.

Edited by sunlong

Honestly, I'm fine with just a fan blowing on me, but I need to keep the air cool for my computer. I just ruined an 80,000 baht MacBook Pro I believe from a combination of overheating and shoddy electrical wiring. I'm not going to let that happen again.

Honestly, I'm fine with just a fan blowing on me, but I need to keep the air cool for my computer. I just ruined an 80,000 baht MacBook Pro I believe from a combination of overheating and shoddy electrical wiring. I'm not going to let that happen again.

Looks like you are stuck with fans Gavin. The last thing you need in a small space is a refrigerated or mist system for the purpose of cooling. The water content in the air will very quickly give you major problems with your computer.

I would suggest a seperate small fan for your computer; it will not bring down the ambient temperature but will help with the airflow in the tower (or around the laptop)

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 1

If the settings in the bios are correct, the computer will not overheat, it will shut down when it reaches a certain temperature..

Seems the shoddy electrics you mentioned later played a bigger part than the temperature did. Have you got a surge protector fitted?

Temperature does affect components, especially when you turn the computer on and off but in this warner climate that should not be so much of a problem.

On a notebook size computer you can always get a cooling fan to sit underneath the unit.

As for keeping you cool, obviously that is a different matter to be resolved.

You can get one of those laptop rests that have fans built in to cool down the laptop. Or alternatively you can edit with the internal fans to increase their speed to keep machine cooler - but if Mac you'll need external bit of software to achieve it

"Should I just tie a bag of ice to a fan or is there a better way?"

No, it is better just to sit on it. But you will need some sort of pad which is partially insulated so that your skin does not get too cold. The feeling of coldness will still come through and cool you down, but you won't get frostbite or anything, I don't think. This is probably the only way other than Aircon.

For the computer you probably just need to make sure it is well ventilated since most computers can operate in temperatures of 35 degrees.

For yourself though, you will need to sit on either a block of ice slightly insulated, or you could rig up a pump and hose that could circulate cool water which you could then sit on or semi-recline on.

A fan blowing hot air on you will not be any advantage because your skin will just begin to feel sort of like it is being dessicated.

I actually know what this feels like because I once had an office where the windows could not be shut and the concrete walls made if feel like an oven.

Aircon could not be installed, and the hot air from the fan was almost worse than no fan at all.

The problem with the block of ice idea is that unless you have an industrial ice maker, you probably will find it difficult to get enough ice to cool you down during an 8 hour work day.

But if you can get the ice, then you should have no fear about not being able to stay as cool as you like.

Buy a cheap aircon and close your door !

It's funny how people are finding problems when they aren't any.

If you can burn a 80k computer you can also burn 15k for an aircon and few thousands a month for electricity.

There is no other solution, don't waste your time thinking and mine trying to explain you how it should be.

:-)

If you can burn a 80k computer you can also burn 15k for an aircon and few thousands a month for electricity.

There is no other solution, don't waste your time thinking and mine trying to explain you how it should be.

It';s funny how people do not read a post correctly and then come in ridicule the OP telling him what to do.

Go back to the OP and read the part about only 3 walls then come back and tell us how he would close the door to make use of an AC unit.

• Like 1

From what I know about portable AC units is they have to be vented to an outside source.

You don't want the hot exhaust re-circulating back into a cool room.

Bought one once for my garage, returned it and went for a standard unit.

This is how you do it, well how I do it. Sliding room dividers.

This is a very good inexpensive solution that could be used in any room for not just holding in cold air, but cooking smoke intruding into the dining area from the kitchen, or even flying insects during early evening hours.

Many homes have an area at the top of the stairs which cannot be closed off and this might also work there.

Another thing to try might be to hang those heavy transparent strips that you see which divide the colder air in the meat storage area from the rest of the big box retail food stores.

The ones I mean are those that you just sort of push through and have no attached door, about 10 or 15 strips that hang down from the ceiling and allow people and carts to pass without letting all the cold air escape.

It';s funny how people do not read a post correctly and then come in ridicule the OP telling him what to do.

Go back to the OP and read the part about only 3 walls then come back and tell us how he would close the door to make use of an AC unit.

I read that as a triangular room?