Overnight Train From Bkk To Chiang Mai

Yes we want to be traveller's! You got it! Now we are thinking of heading to Kanchanaburi and then to Auythaya and catching the night train from here up. Any other advise? I have already emailed Thai railways but have yet to hear from them a day later. I may just wait and buy our tix in Thailand when we first arrive considering we will not be going up north for over 2 weeks. Thank you for all the positive responses. Any and all perspectives are definitely helping me to make the best decisions for my daughter and I's epic journey!

I used to travel overnight by train to CM from BKK in the old days (you can't do it in the daytime), until I discovered the VIP buses. 32 very comfortable seats, no jarring every 30 mins, fast, clean and comfortable, a/c, although I prefer to take the day bus as I don't like to sleep overnight. Includes free drinks and lunch (or dinner), for which they stop for 20 min only. They have a hostess on every bus and small toilet. If u do then take a 32 seater bus (not the 45 seater VIP bus). Also the double seats on the right have more leg room compared to the single seats on the left. The government buses (666) are the best as they keep down the video noise and often switch it off (it won't be on at night). I wouldn't travel any other way in Thailand.

The trains tend to be uncomfortable when sleeping esp the upper couchettes and other passenger noise esp from mobiles is awful. Hot a stuffy. Also the jarring from the train stopping and starting keeps you awake. You can get a double 1st class carriage, which are better, but more expensive and not so sociable and still noisy. The only really brilliant thing I can say about the trains is the buffet carriage - often lined in wood and has several romantic features - a bit like the a cheapo Oriental express. The menu is a hoot - includes fermented chicken nuckles! Completely inedible, but fun to order. I love to drink beer in there before bedtime and have the windows open (it is not A/C) and see the world go by - marvellous - but the aftermath for me was miserable, including the toilets and washing facilities.

Edited by Card

Another hint: If you book quite in advance (either aircon or fan), you will have the chance to book seats in the middle of the coach, i.e. seats 17 to 21. These places are away from the sometimes noisy sliding doors, as well as away from the sometimes smelly bathrooms.

Yes we want to be traveller's! You got it! Now we are thinking of heading to Kanchanaburi and then to Auythaya and catching the night train from here up. Any other advise? I have already emailed Thai railways but have yet to hear from them a day later. I may just wait and buy our tix in Thailand when we first arrive considering we will not be going up north for over 2 weeks. Thank you for all the positive responses. Any and all perspectives are definitely helping me to make the best decisions for my daughter and I's epic journey!

I would be surprised if you receive a reply to your email, shocked even. Do let us know. You will have no problem booking your tickets once you are in Thailand/BKK at almost any station esp if you are travelling mid week.

The train trip to Kan is quite nice but note that the twice daily services depart from the Thonburi side (though you can take a train from BKK to Nakhon Pathom and wait for the Kan train there). http://www.railway.co.th/home/srt/timetable/Kanchanaburi.asp?lenguage=Eng

Derailments are frequent on this line - perhaps on average twice a month - however mostly minor and rarely serious. The track is gradually being replaced. Once there, definitely make sure you do the trip to Nam Tok at the end of the line. No need to book this as only 3rd class unless you do the special weekend tourist train from Hualumphong.

Note that if you are going to go to Ayuthaya after Kan you can catch a bus/van to Suphan Buri & Ang Thong then to Ayuthaya and avoid BKK. However, there are infrequent services to Suphan Buri so you'll need to check when in Kan.

Another option is a mini van to Future Park, Rangsit to the north of BKK from Kan. From, Future there are vans & buses to Ayuthaya or you could even get 2kms over to Rangsit railway station. (Some will say don't take a mini van given recent accidents yet the reality is that 10s of thousands of people do daily and it is not necessarily more unsafe than taking a bus or train. Though some routes are best avoided)

For example, over "Over the past six years, 887 accidents have been reported at railway crossings, with 979 people injured and 297 killed." The most important thing is to trust your instinct and if whatever mode of transport doesn't feel right, don't take it.

Train from Ayuthaya to CM makes sense as you save 1.5-2hrs on the journey and can get to see Ayuthaya.

Two weeks is fine.

But be sure to take the a/c sleeper car.

And take food with you. Prices on board are high.

Do not make reservations for connections. You will be late.

But your daughter should enjoy!

Oh, ask for seats away from the bathrooms. Mid-car is best.

• Like 1

I just wanted my daughter to experience taking the night train but if there are possibilities of getting stuck, then yeah, plane sounds better. Tix are actually pretty inexpensive round trip. Thank you!

Take the train .... it creates memories.

• Like 1

I just wanted my daughter to experience taking the night train but if there are possibilities of getting stuck, then yeah, plane sounds better. Tix are actually pretty inexpensive round trip. Thank you!

July should be OK but we have never been able to get a seat at Christmas/new Year time.

I have taken this train several times but years ago it is not really a big deal to miss it, the service has deteriorated and the possibility of track washout in July is very good. Save your self 12 to 14 hours of loud noise from the tracks and the coupling devices fly and be there in 1 hour and enjoy Chiang Mai and the area.

agree i travelled first class ...at night u cant even sightsee ...just darkness ...the toilets block after 20 mins food was inedible ...cockroaches .....worst long distance train trip i have ever done ....def take the plane cheers

If you want everything to be just like home ...i.e. another boring airport, another boring check in, another boring flight then by all means get on a plane...if on the other hand you'd like to actually be a tourist and meet some locals and experience something unlike back home then take the train. You will likely forget everything about your flight within a few weeks....you will likely remember your train trip with all the screw-ups and breakdowns and characters etc for the rest of your lives.

Up to you.

What is the actual difference between 1st and 2nd class sleepers ?

And is the food on board really that bad ? Sitting in the dining car eating grub as you roll along is part of the fun.

What would be the best combo for 1 adult and 2 kids ?

Took the CM <> Bkk night train many times since I used to live near CM. I'd go for the 1st Class sleepers for the best experience. Less likely to have the AC die, better beds, privacy, etc. Downside is not meeting the interesting characters on the train unless you seek out conversation. Mae Tha, the first station after the mountains going to CM, it is the entrance to a beautiful national park. Google it and see if you might want to spend part of a day there. Lamphun is a good few-hours stop off too. Lp has 2 temples from the Haripuchai Period of the area. One is the usual central Thailand style with the gold chedi, etc. The other is a monastery that is half a century or so older and in the northern white temple style. The monastery not on any of the tour, but it is just north of the other big one. You walk in the east gate, no parking there, and just walk around without tourists and in the peace and quiet that is conducive to the monks meditations. BTW, Lp has it's own railway station but there are usually only 1-3 motorcycle taxis there. Lp is a very mellow town so motorcycle taxi are safe there.

Edited by asupeartea

What is the actual difference between 1st and 2nd class sleepers ?

And is the food on board really that bad ? Sitting in the dining car eating grub as you roll along is part of the fun.

What would be the best combo for 1 adult and 2 kids ?

1st class has the top bed set and the bottom becomes seats, depending on whether you get the old German/ Japanese/ Korean sleeper. Beds are quite sleepable. Obviously different countries different set ups. 1st class is private so you are the only ones in there. 1st class best for kids, IMHO.

Spending the trip "eating" in the dining car is usually more fun for adults who enjoy a beer or two. Unless your kids ARE adults and want to join in a beer. I think the food is passable, they have a captive audience so they don't have to put much into it.

• Like 1

If you want everything to be just like home ...i.e. another boring airport, another boring check in, another boring flight then by all means get on a plane.

Is it OK with you if people take an airplane to Thailand? Or must they swim, take a boat, travel overland?

• Like 1

If you want everything to be just like home ...i.e. another boring airport, another boring check in, another boring flight then by all means get on a plane.

Is it OK with you if people take an airplane to Thailand? Or must they swim, take a boat, travel overland?

uh duh I believe the OP question and the title of this thread was/is overnight train from bkk to chiang mai......but feel free to go for a nice long swim if you like.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
you will likely remember your train trip with all the screw-ups and breakdowns and characters etc for the rest of your lives.

And derailments. whistling.gif

Luckily no one hurt on this most recent derailment, the second of two in a few weeks, but the long trek out the tunnel carrying your bags is something you're likely to remember. wink.png

The good news is that SRT trains go so slowly they just flop on their side and no one perishes.

Continuing heavy rains means the situation is probably going to get a bit worse before it ever gets any better?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/654309-thai-state-railways-train-derails-in-north-foreign-tourists-injured/?p=6622032&hl=%2Btrain+%2Bderail

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/654859-phrae-derailment-typical-of-train-accidents-in-thailand/?hl=%2Btrain+%2Bderail

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/658325-chiang-mai-bound-train-derails-in-tunnel/

Edited by lomatopo

The much vaunted experience is something you may want to wash away with beer,

but two things with that: buy those beer after.

For starters they are expensive on train, and secondly, in case you like me are prone to diarrhea,

the train toilet is among the last things you will want to deal with.

Other than that, you will want to book 3 weeks in advance so you can pick your bed somewhat

Edited by poanoi

Bangkok to Singapore is ~ 75,000 baht. While a jacket and tie is mandatory in the evening for gentlemen, most wear formal evening attire.

Still gettin' pulled by an SRT locomotive though. wink.png

...along the same poorly-maintained trackwork.

You would not catch me taking the Orient Express. They murder people on that.

• Like 1

The good news is that SRT trains go so slowly they just flop on their side and no one perishes.

Not so. The latest derailment was in a tunnel so the train and carriages could not flop on their sides, the tunnel walls prevented it.

But seriously I would not put anybody off doing a train trip in Thailand. Always a great experience, just go 2nd class and mix with the ordinary folk. Also visit the restaurant car. Often get quite a show there.

• 2 weeks later...
Often get quite a show there.

So good there are repeat performances.whistling.gif

Northern derailment third in a month

17 Aug 2013
A Bangkok-Chiang Mai special express train derailed in Lampang on Friday evening, closing the State Railway of Thailand tracks until Saturday morning. The incident in Hang Chat district was the third derailment on the northern line in the past month and the ninth for the SRT this year. No one was injured.
The derailment took place on the same day that Transport Minister Chadchart Sittipunt travelled from Bangkok to Surin to get a first-hand look at conditions on the rail system. Mr Chadchart earlier turned down an SRT request for a 10% increase in third-class fares, which have not risen in 20 years.
The incident in Lampang occurred around 7pm Friday when the left wheels of the 12-carriage train's sixth carriage went off the tracks, causing damages to more than 100 sleepers over a distance of 500 metres. Around 300 passengers, 80% of them are foreigners, had to wait for three hours until the SRT could move everyone into the first five carriages to continue their journey north.
Here’s a first-hand report re: the 3 Aug derailment in the tunnel: