' Square-faced Man' A New Hit Song

george

Yeah, If you know the Thai Language, This song is an insult to foreigners and migrant workers. This song is nothing but xenophobic.

what is new about Thai xenohobic . many of us that live here have suffered discrimination since day one , but we love Thailand and the the discrimination is a small price to pay.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can tell that Thailand is a first world country by the proliferation of law suits. Thaksin perfected this by suing or threatening to sue anybody who said anything critical about him. Supinya proved to the world the folly of massive suits against individuals. The TRT has become the laughing stock of Thailand (at least where the "Sqare faced man" CD or link is available. now that it's on the internet I am sure it's been seen in many countries. You can't sue the internet.)

As for the TRT asking the composer to identify himself so that he can be sued..................... well what else would one expect from these clowns. The composer would be eligible for a Knighthood in the U.K.

let's see how long it takes them to find him.

Once again here's the link for download:

http://www.manager.co.th/Lite/ViewNews.asp...D=9490000040970

Whoever posted the original link did a great service to board members I think.

Edited by ratcatcher

Yeah, If you know the Thai Language, This song is an insult to foreigners and migrant workers. This song is nothing but xenophobic.

What exactly do you think was an insult to foreigners? I didn't hear anything, and Thais I asked about it say the same. Do you also think that Thaksin is going to sue the authors for insulting farangs?

Are you making up stuff out of desperation or for enterntainment? What makes you post lies like that?

Nonsense! I'll translate this song in a day or two if nobody else does; 90% is taking the mick out of Thaksin with occasional barbs at his wife and fellow MPs, there's one reference to the low IQ of two of his kids.

Nonsense! I'll translate this song in a day or two if nobody else does; 90% is taking the mick out of Thaksin with occasional barbs at his wife and fellow MPs, there's one reference to the low IQ of two of his kids.

It's funny but in poor taste. Lesson to be learned ignore it and don't give it more publicity then it deserves.

It's funny but in poor taste. Lesson to be learned ignore it and don't give it more publicity then it deserves.

Lesson to be learned is it refers to several misdeeds of Thaksin in a jocular,witty,catchy, rhythmic and creative format, the song is spreading like wildfire.

Lesson to be learned is it refers to several misdeeds of Thaksin in a jocular,witty,catchy, rhythmic and creative format, the song is spreading like wildfire.

Unfortunately bad taste won't keep the popular PM from resigning thank buddah!!! :o

I didn't hear anything insulting regarding foreigners, unless you mean the jibes about Singapore. Other than that it's like a bad commercial jingle, with Na liam repeated ad nausiam. (nice pun :D )

As far as asking if the composer to identify himself....So that they can sue him.. :o:D:D

the real beginning of the end? music that educates and will make its way all over isaan?

:D Thats the daftest thing I've read all day. Cheers for the laugh mate!!! :D

How could that quote be daft? It sums up exactly why the video and song were made- to educate. The cultural rift tearing at the fabric of this nation centers around the information haves and have nots.

That you can live here- in such an oblivion of awarness- shows the laugh is on you mate. :o

Unfortunately bad taste won't keep the popular PM from resigning thank buddah!!! :D

Popular PM? The man was popular prior to the sale of Shin Corp. Closing the sale was equivalent to the Wizard of Los pulling the curtain back, exposing himself. Does 'conflict of interest' ring any bells?

there's one reference to the low IQ of two of his kids.

The reference to his daughter was: "look sao man ngoo chiphai", which is rather strong worded to say the least.

Can't remember the exact words about his son other than the song mentioned that he was a drug addict.

Other than that it was quiet a collection of rather colorful Thai swearwords.

It sure is, Siripon... the satellite television Channel News Asia (which broadcasts all over Asia) carried a lengthy piece about it...

:o

Watched it, got it translated and loved it.

And the passages at the daughter was that even though they bribed teacher she still only got 2 (out of 4) since she is so daft, and that the son always wear shades since he uses drugs.

In any way, don't expect any of the big Thaksin-fans on this board to understand the song, they are rearly fluent in the language or have any wife here. They are here for other reasons. But it's almost amusing seeing 'some' trying to defend the man so hard that they are going to pull a nosebleed soon...

Watched it, got it translated and loved it.

And the passages at the daughter was that even though they bribed teacher she still only got 2 (out of 4) since she is so daft, and that the son always wear shades since he uses drugs.

In any way, don't expect any of the big Thaksin-fans on this board to understand the song, they are rearly fluent in the language or have any wife here. They are here for other reasons. But it's almost amusing seeing 'some' trying to defend the man so hard that they are going to pull a nosebleed soon...

You fail to mention though that this song uses language considered extremely rude here in Thailand, or did you get a cleaned up version in your translation?

I didn't hear anything insulting regarding foreigners, unless you mean the jibes about Singapore. Other than that it's like a bad commercial jingle, with Na liam repeated ad nausiam. (nice pun :D )

As far as asking if the composer to identify himself....So that they can sue him.. :o:D:D

I for one look forward to reading this translation, so good luck in this task. I find this to be a great thread. I found the lirics on the manager web site, and have listen to the song several times real catcy tune. In the west politicans would except this as the price to pay for been in the public eye, As the King once counseled If you want to receive the prraise you have to be prepare for the critizem

I know there are full of rude words - point being?

Did it hurt your ears?

Point being:

This song achieves nothing but a further escalation of the present situation.

I fail to see the wit by provocing with extremely rude words and personal attacks against the opponent's family. Thai comedy and satire generally has far more wit by playing with the endless subtleties a tonal language can provide for.

I know there are full of rude words - point being?

Did it hurt your ears?

Point being:

This song achieves nothing but a further escalation of the present situation.

I fail to see the wit by provocing with extremely rude words and personal attacks against the opponent's family. Thai comedy and satire generally has far more wit by playing with the endless subtleties a tonal language can provide for.

I realize that you fail to understand so let me break it down for you:

- A lot of people don't read enough newspapers or watch enough news-shows to really keep up.

- Music goes a long way and sticks to the mind easily.

- Now combine harsch critic, a long list of the stuff done and add a catchy slogan - voila, instant winner-song that will have a far better chance of reaching the ones that would never care to pick up the news in the first place.

It's very hard for anyone to hear the song and then think "I think he hasn't done anything wrong". Which is the point.

Edited by TAWP

there's one reference to the low IQ of two of his kids.

The reference to his daughter was: "look sao man ngoo chiphai", which is rather strong worded to say the least.

Can't remember the exact words about his son other than the song mentioned that he was a drug addict.

Other than that it was quiet a collection of rather colorful Thai swearwords.

I agree ordinarily family should be off limits, however the PM brought his family into it when he chose to use his family in given them the company and then passing all the reason for the questioable actions. to been their decision alone, of course with the advise of a uncle. He even claim at one point of not even discuss the decision with his children at the dinner table.

I realize that you fail to understand so let me break it down for you:

- A lot of people don't read enough newspapers or watch enough news-shows to really keep up.

- Music goes a long way and sticks to the mind easily.

- Now combine harsch critic, a long list of the stuff done and add a catchy slogan - voila, instant winner-song that will have a far better chance of reaching the ones that would never care to pick up the news in the first place.

It's very hard for anyone to hear the song and then think "I think he hasn't done anything wrong". Which is the point.

What you fail to understand is Thai cultural sensitivities and the present political situation.

Thais in general are very formal in question of respecting persons of higher hirarchal position, especially in rural Thailand. This is to a large part epressed by the usage of the correct language, especially via forms of adress.

The only "education" an upcountry villager will get from this song is that city people are incredibly rude towards a person of high social status, a person the large majority of rural poor does idolise. The underlying issues of the criticism, such as the corruption, the abuse of democratic institutions, the accumulation of debt, the killings of the drugwar and whatever else was mentioned in the song will be completely lost in the barrage of rude language and partly personal insults even against Thaksin's family.

A song that educates people especially in rural Thailand would be in the tradition of "paeng pueah chivit" (songs for life), better even Mor Lam, or paeng luk thung, not a rap song.

This song is a song made by city people for city people who, typically Thai, think only within the limits of their own social class, and will be rejected for those reasons by the majority of upcountry folks, and therfore it does only provoce a further escalation. It does nothing to help upcountry folks to reconsider their position.

I agree ordinarily family should be off limits, however the PM brought his family into it when he chose to use his family in given them the company and then passing all the reason for the questioable actions. to been their decision alone, of course with the advise of a uncle. He even claim at one point of not even discuss the decision with his children at the dinner table.

The whole present mess has been brought by Thaksin onto himself - it is a rather logical development of populist policies mixed with clear conflicts of interest.

Nevertheless, that does not mean that one has to agree with methods of further escalation employed by either side. That will only lead to a continued destabilisation.

The song wasn't commissioned for propaganda purposes (unlike the one written three years ago about the drug war), if the authors wanted to write rap - rap we get.

Even urban Thais stop and listen to every word of it, they don't get to hear this stuff on TV everyday to remind them.

I don't see how this song can justify any violence, no more so than lipstick provokes rapes.

I don't see how this song can justify any violence, no more so than lipstick provokes rapes.

There is a huge difference between justifying violence, and understanding the cause of the escalation process that leads to physical violence.

Thailand has a tradition of political songs. This is not something new. Previous governments were used to songs for life artists singing about them. There was an interlude after the new constitution and Thaksin coming to power, not to mention one singer being somewhat embarassed when he was found doing what he sang the corrupt were doing. Now there are politcal problems we get the songs again. No surprise. This time it just happens to be hard hitting rap that has hit the imagination of some sectors of society even if at the rallies there have been songs for life artists singing about the political situation as well. Is the song divisive? Maybe, but then hitting Chuan Leekpai with a chair is probably a criminal offence.

Is the song divisive? Maybe, but then hitting Chuan Leekpai with a chair is probably a criminal offence.

Defamation is a criminal offense, and yes, hitting Chuan with a chair is very much one.

One crime does not nullify the other, though.

Is the song divisive? Maybe, but then hitting Chuan Leekpai with a chair is probably a criminal offence.

Defamation is a criminal offense, and yes, hitting Chuan with a chair is very much one.

One crime does not nullify the other, though.

I wouldn't equate a song with a physical assault, but each to their own.

There is a huge difference between justifying violence, and understanding the cause of the escalation process that leads to physical violence.

Then try to understand the reason for writing the song.

Defamation standards for public persons are not the same - as Shin found out recently.

I wouldn't equate a song with a physical assault, but each to their own.

Is my post not clear enough English?

Why do you have to construct something into my post that i have never posted?

Can you point out where exactly i have equated "a song with a physical assault"?

Then try to understand the reason for writing the song.

Defamation standards for public persons are not the same - as Shin found out recently.

I understand the reasons for writing the song to the fullest. It is an epression of anger, a form of protest, a tool for agitation.

The issue of defamation in this song is rather clear at least in one case. Calling Thaksin's son a drugaddict might be not too far off reality according to the rumors, but without clear proof this is defamation. Calling Thaksin's daughter "ngoo chiphai" is a personal insult, and therefore finable as well.