More Time Sought To Explain Thaksin Passport

webfact

More time sought to explain Thaksin passport
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana is asking the Ombudsman for more time to explain why fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra was granted a new passport, the Office of the Ombudsman said yesterday.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who is Thaksin's younger sister, handed the job over to Phongthep after the Ombudsman demanded that she take action against the Foreign Ministry for granting Thaksin a new passport.

Questioned on several fronts

The Ombudsman demanded to know why the Foreign Ministry had wrongly issued a passport for Thaksin, who is a fugitive and is trying to escape criminal charges, but the ministry refused to respond, prompting the Office of the Ombudsman to file a complaint with the prime minister.

Rakkecha Chaechai, spokesman for the Ombudsman's Office, said Phongthep had written to the office asking for more time. He said the letter arrived after the deadline the government was given.

In the letter, Phongthep reasoned that the Ombudsman had suggested that regulations on passport issuance should be amended, hence he needed time to set up a committee to do the job.

Rakkecha said it was up to the Ombudsman to decide whether Phongthep should be granted more time.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-08

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"In the letter, Phongthep reasoned that the Ombudsman had suggested that regulations on passport issuance should be amended, hence he needed time to set up a committee to do the job."

So the plan is not to cancel or recall Thaksin's passport but the amend the issuance regulations to make it legal.

Red democracy at work and another slap in the face for Thailand

How much time does he need to set up a committee? They've had long enough already and it doesn't stop yyhem explaining why they granted it in the first place.

This passport was issued quite some time ago so it's not a new issue yet time is needed to explain. It's all quite simple though, " we are the government, we gave him the passport, we do what we like and no need to explain to anyone, any more stupid questions ? "

Agree and furthermore we are beyond reproach.

Wasnt the original issue -pre Yingluck era - about Thaksin having Montanegro citizenship and a passport ? He wasnt eligible for a Thai passport because he was considered Montanegran or whatever their demonyn.

Did he not also get one from a Central / South American country too, El Salvador springs to mind but I may need correcting.

The Ombudsman asked the Foreign Ministry to explain why they had issued a passport and got a two fingered reply so a complaint was filed with the PM, now wasn't that an exercise in futility ?

• Like 1

Why do we hear about Ombudsmen so much when it comes to Thailand?

not sure 100 per cent but in the usual sense of the word like a trouble shooter who acts as a go between On my last trip around Thailand I saw several Thai Men with a patch on their shirts declaring them Ombudsmen

This just another case of . . . seemed like a good idea at the time. Same as the rice pledging scheme. As usual it will most likely blow over as a committee is formed. Yingluck's defamation cases will take center stage and all is well, for a while.

• Like 1

You're asking us to explain something? Doh; don't you know we're not good at that, we just make up another load of bullshit to cover the next question. If you want a real, honest, proper answer we need more time...like about 100 years, so all of you that are asking will be dead !

Edited by trainman34014
  • Like 1

"In the letter, Phongthep reasoned that the Ombudsman had suggested that regulations on passport issuance should be amended, hence he needed time to set up a committee to do the job."

So the plan is not to cancel or recall Thaksin's passport but the amend the issuance regulations to make it legal.

If they need to change the law then simple to understand that ministers broke the law in issuing Thaksin a passport and should therefore be banned from office assuming they received appropriate legal advice prior to making their decision.
  • Like 2

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who is Thaksin's younger sister, handed the job over to Phongthep after the Ombudsman demanded that she take action against the Foreign Ministry for granting Thaksin a new passport.

z_succeed_bs_pass_the_buck_bumper_sticke

• Like 1

How much time does he need to set up a committee? They've had long enough already and it doesn't stop yyhem explaining why they granted it in the first place.

Seems they don't have a reasonable answer!!!

Perhaps "because Thaksin wanted one and he demanded I get him one sent immediately by courier to my hotel" won't stand up as being of reasonable reason.

What's more, despite Thaksin having 'not a single jot' of a bearing on this governments actions - he threatened to sack me from this job of getting his passport reinstated if I failed. I wish someone had told me that I had to do other things as people keep on expecting things from me now and I don't know what to do to make them go away!!! They are important things to do with Thailand I think.

'Rakkecha Chaechai, spokesman for the Ombudsman's Office, said Phongthep had written to the office asking for more time. He said the letter arrived after the deadline the government was given.

In the letter, Phongthep reasoned that the Ombudsman had suggested that regulations on passport issuance should be amended, hence he needed time to set up a committee to do the job.

Rakkecha said it was up to the Ombudsman to decide whether Phongthep should be granted more time.'

Talk about having your excuses prepared, letter arrived after the deadline then set up a committee and then pass the buck lol!

When the PT does a white wash job they leave no stone unturned.

First you set up a committee, than the committee has to set up sub committees, than the sub committee has to set up investigating teams. After the investigative teams have gathered up the information they must evaluate it and than forward the results to the sub committee. After the sub committee has looked at the data, they will send it back to the investigative team for more data, and so on. The same process will happen when the sub committee sent the information back to the original committee. This is the was politics works .coffee1.gif

Edited by tomross46