Brit Looking To Stay In Thailand In 6 Months...confused Over Visa

Hull is super fast - got it back in like 2 days max.

Don't forget to include a tenner for the return postage. (they will explain)

Yeah not half. Sent it away Thursday night at 4pm and had it Saturday morning. I actually thought the PO had mucked up and sent it to my address instead of the consulate by mistake.

Impressed.

Good info - I am in Bangkok and will need to do this in about a month.

Any idea which are best / fastest / cheapest / safest / most comfortable ones from BKK?

Also, can this all be done within one day from BKK?

I have heard stories of scams once you get to the border - people posing as immigration and taking the passports and charging 3 times the normal price to get the stamps etc.

Or someone at the border basicaly saying, "pay me, or you don't cross" (I think this was Cambodia)

Know which is the most hassle free border? I guess Cambodia is closest from BKK right?

Thanks.

There are lots of scams at the Cambodian border that occur when taking tourist buses from BKK to Cambodia.

If you want to stay in Thailand for 6 months all you need is a double entry tourist visa. (60+30 + 60+30= 180 days)

When you arrive Thailand with your visa the first time , at the airport they wlll stamp it for 60 days. Before 60 days is over you have to goto the immigration office in Bangkok or in your province and pay 1900 baht to extend the visa for another 30 days.

Then you have to do a visarun out of the country and re enter. The cheapest and easiest option is to go woth a visarun company , they will take care of all the documents for you . If you stay in Bangkok it will cost you 1900 to 2500 baht and it will take one day to the Cambodian border and back in a minibus.

Thats it and your good for another 60 + 30 days.

• Like 1

If you want to stay in Thailand for 6 months all you need is a double entry tourist visa. (60+30 + 60+30= 180 days)

When you arrive Thailand with your visa the first time , at the airport they wlll stamp it for 60 days. Before 60 days is over you have to goto the immigration office in Bangkok or in your province and pay 1900 baht to extend the visa for another 30 days.

Then you have to do a visarun out of the country and re enter. The cheapest and easiest option is to go woth a visarun company , they will take care of all the documents for you . If you stay in Bangkok it will cost you 1900 to 2500 baht and it will take one day to the Cambodian border and back in a minibus.

Perfect. Thanks. I have the double entry now. :)

just make sure you make your 2nd entry one day before it says visa must be UTILIZED BEFORE............ for maximum days

.first time in Thailand and 30 the visa runs are part of the experience so see them just as that.

enjoy your self and just be sensible like you would be in Uk and you will have an enjoyable time or streetwise might be a better expression

is there an actual list of Visa/extension type item by item; the permalink at the top doesn't get into number of entries for each visa type, that i can see

or the forms that immigration requires for what , por ngor dor or the "TM" 's etc

sorry, if this is a repetition

All extensions use the TM7 form. A re-entry permit is TM8.

Visas are done at embassies and consulates and each one has its own form. Tourist visas are 1, 2 or 3 entries. Non immigrants are single or multiple entries.

• 3 weeks later...

wouldn't this scenario, mean that he would have to board the plane on the day he obtained the 1st visa ? so would he have both 1'visa'(entries) and and 2'extensions'

With Non-Imm B/O multi-entry, Must one check in at Immigration every 90 days, no matter, when one is stamped in/out of country ? Must one then plan to be in country when the 90 days hits? Or what is the earliest one can check in for their 90 days? and/or I understand one can mail it in Bangkok ?

Edited by chubby

Your timing and how long you can remain will depend on the validity of the visa and the time of entry - but you are not required to enter the first day or any specific day or to stay the allowed time - so if your visa expires on July 22 and your permitted to stay is August 3 you can still depart on the 21st/return to use the next entry of visa if you want. You will not obtain the maximum stay but it does not mean you can not extend each entry if you want.

There is no 90 day reporting on a non immigrant O/B visa as no stay of more than 90 days is allowed. Each exit resets the clock.

so, with a Non Imm O (retirement) or ED one must exit the country every 90 days?

Your timing and how long you can remain will depend on the validity of the visa and the time of entry - but you are not required to enter the first day or any specific day or to stay the allowed time - so if your visa expires on July 22 and your permitted to stay is August 3 you can still depart on the 21st/return to use the next entry of visa if you want. You will not obtain the maximum stay but it does not mean you can not extend each entry if you want.

There is no 90 day reporting on a non immigrant O/B visa as no stay of more than 90 days is allowed. Each exit resets the clock.

So, on a Non Imm O/B/Ed, it is a "visa" for 90 days, then it is a series of "extensions"?

If that is the case, then:

I'm confused then what "reporting" is or for what purpose

What are the "validity" periods for O/B/ED , ?1 year

I have looked over the pinned links, but still don't understand

Unless you apply for an extension of stay, than you will not have to leave the county but will need to report as than you stay longer than 90 days.

If you are on any length of extension of stay and remain in the country for more that 90 days you do a report to immigration.

Extensions of stay for education dependent upon where you are at and your course of study can be 90 days, 180 days, or a year.

Non immigrant visas (O/B/ED and etc) are issued as single entry or multiple entry visas. A multiple entry visa would allow you to enter the country as many time as you want for one year getting a 90 day permit to stay each time. After that 90 days you must leave the country and re-enter to get another 90 days.

Edited by ubonjoe

If your gonna be looking for work then try and apply fora NON-B straight off the bat as that's the only visa you can work on, not sure if they will give you one based on just looking for work but its your best option, you cannot work on tourist visas so at best if you find a job then you will have to get a NON B once you are here and most of the embassy's in the bordering countries will only give you 3 months, so for the sake of hassle speak withe the embassy there and see what your chances are, if they give you one then you will be able to squeeze 15 months out of it

"under 30 and young, free and single. I'm not going to be looking for work."

So, on a Non Imm O/B/Ed, it is a "visa" for 90 days, then it is a series of "extensions"?

Unless you apply for an extension of stay, than you will not have to leave the county but will need to report as than you stay longer than 90 days.

The visa allows you to travel t Thailand and upon entry you get a stay of 90 days. At the end of your 90 days you have two options; you leave the country or you apply for an extension of stay at immigration, which can be for up to 1 year.

The extension of stay requires more paperwork and has more conditions, so not everybody who qualifies for a visa can also get an extension of stay.

Extension can be given back to back, so with a non-immigrant visa like a non-O you can stay in Thailand for years, as long as you qualify under the rules for an extension. The rules depend on why you want to extend your stay, like work, study or retirement.

so, do extensions of stay, have multi/single entry designations as well ?

if one is on a 1 year extension, and leaves the country do they revert to a 90 day designation and need a new extension?

The visa allows you to travel t Thailand and upon entry you get a stay of 90 days. At the end of your 90 days you have two options; you leave the country or you apply for an extension of stay at immigration, which can be for up to 1 year.

The extension of stay requires more paperwork and has more conditions, so not everybody who qualifies for a visa can also get an extension of stay.

Extension can be given back to back, so with a non-immigrant visa like a non-O you can stay in Thailand for years, as long as you qualify under the rules for an extension. The rules depend on why you want to extend your stay, like work, study or retirement.

Extensions are for a specific period of time and do not allow travel - if you wish to exit and return to use remaining time you must purchase a re-entry permit prior to leaving. These are available in single entry at 1,000 baht or multi entry for 3,800 baht. They are valid for the current extension of stay period. or until used in the case of single entry.

It will depend on how used and validity of the visa (some are 3 months and others 6 months from date of issue). The maximum time would total 180 but exit/entry will be counted as final and first day if done same day and any delay in original entry with a 3 month validity would require early exit to obtain new entry before expiration date of visa. So about 180 days is the only valid answer.

• Like 1

so, lets say I have a Non-Imm/O(which has a ?1 year 'validity') :

I am stamped into the country for 90 days, after 90 days, I head to Immigration and get an 'extension' which is good for possibly 1 year ?

So, after 90 days in country, I no longer have a 'visa', I have an 'extension' ?

And then follow the rules re: extension on coming/going from the country ?

Or is the original visa, still good for 1 year, if it is 'multi entry' seems, there is overlap when a person may have both a 'visa' and and 'extension' ? :)

If you are on any length of extension of stay and remain in the country for more that 90 days you do a report to immigration.

Extensions of stay for education dependent upon where you are at and your course of study can be 90 days, 180 days, or a year.

Non immigrant visas (O/B/ED and etc) are issued as single entry or multiple entry visas. A multiple entry visa would allow you to enter the country as many time as you want for one year getting a 90 day permit to stay each time. After that 90 days you must leave the country and re-enter to get another 90 days.

With a multiple non-O there would be an overlap, but if you would leave the country without a re-entry permit you would lose the extension of stay. You could than return on the multiple non-O (if still valid) and get a new 90 days and apply for a new extension of stay near the end of those 90 days. (You can apply for an extension during the last 30 days of your stay).

But some oficers might consider the multiple non-O becoming invalid when you apply for an extension.

• 2 weeks later...

So, If I have a non-O, I am stamped in for 90 days, after 90 days, I go to immigration, get an 'extension', which(lets say a retirement visa) is for 1 year, during the 'extension' one then still reports every 90 days to immigration, but not for purposes of 'extending', just filling out forms that they are registered?

If one leaves the country on an extension, they must always apply for a 're-entry permit' to keep their 'extension' status?

On an education visa, it is more normal, to seek 'extensions' every 90 days.

What is the difference in the experience in an education extension vs. 'reporting' ?

With a multiple non-O there would be an overlap, but if you would leave the country without a re-entry permit you would lose the extension of stay. You could than return on the multiple non-O (if still valid) and get a new 90 days and apply for a new extension of stay near the end of those 90 days. (You can apply for an extension during the last 30 days of your stay).

But some oficers might consider the multiple non-O becoming invalid when you apply for an extension.

One reports address if in Thailand more than 90 days - no report until 90 days after return if you leave before 90 days. People doing extensions every 90 days still have to independently report address if stay in country without leaving. Extensions are TM.7 form and address reports are TM.47 form.