Brit Looking To Stay In Thailand In 6 Months...confused Over Visa

Soon I plan to come to Thailand and be there for 5-6 months (at least). I'm British and currently in the UK and about to sort out my visa.

I'm confused over what the best visa is for me and how the multiple entry visas work.

I'd obviously like the least hassle possible.

What visa is going to be the best bet for me?

Under 30 and young, free and single. I'm not going to be looking for work.

Apply for a double entry Tourist Visa. Each entry is for 60 days, and can be extended for 30 days for 1900 Baht, you will just need to do a border run to another country sometime in your stay.

Under 30 and young, free and single. I'm not going to be looking for work.

Apply for a double entry Tourist Visa. Each entry is for 60 days, and can be extended for 30 days for 1900 Baht, you will just need to do a border run to another country sometime in your stay.

OK thanks.

And when I do a border run what's the deal, can I just cross the border and come right back in?

Do I have to pay anything at the border?

I'm guessing I can just use one of those border run mini van services?

IMHO I would get a triple entry tourist visa. It will allow you more flexability. The visa will be valid for 6 months from the date of issue, but the last entry can be made on the "must enter by" date which will give you 60 days which can be extended for another 30 days even though the visa has expired. Get the visa as close to your departure date as possible for maximum flexability. When you do a border run you must enter the neighboring country so you will have to pay for a visa. Laos, $35, Cambodia, $20, Myanmar, 500 baht and Malaysia, free.

If I was you I'd go for a triple entry visa. 25 quid more then a double (75 total) but you have a bit more freedom on when to do a border run.

All 3 entries have to be used within 6 months of issuing the visa (not entering the country).

This visa can be used to stretch your stay up to just under 9 months if you wish.

On a border run you indeed leave Thailand, enter the neighboring country and then return straight away.

You'll need a paid visa (available at the borders) to enter the neighboring country with the exception of Malaysia in the South.

From Pattaya for example organized border runs with minivan are around 2500 Baht, inclusive of breakie, lunch, and all visa costs.

"can I just cross the border and come right back in?"

Yes.

"Do I have to pay anything at the border?"

Depends which border. You may have to pay for a visa on arrival to that country.

"I'm guessing I can just use one of those border run mini van services?"

Yes.

Read more about the double entry tourist visa. Make sure you understand that:

- it can be used to enter Thailand twice, between the date it is issued and the date three months later when it expires.

- each entry will be for 60 days, which you can extend locally for another 30 days for 1900 baht.

- you won't get a full 6 months, because at the very least you will lose the time between issuance of the visa and your first arrival in Thailand.

If you enjoy your time here and want to stay longer you will need to make an overnight trip, preferably to Vientiane, and get a new double entry tourist visa from the Thai Consulate there.

If your gonna be looking for work then try and apply fora NON-B straight off the bat as that's the only visa you can work on, not sure if they will give you one based on just looking for work but its your best option, you cannot work on tourist visas so at best if you find a job then you will have to get a NON B once you are here and most of the embassy's in the bordering countries will only give you 3 months, so for the sake of hassle speak withe the embassy there and see what your chances are, if they give you one then you will be able to squeeze 15 months out of it

"can I just cross the border and come right back in?"

Yes.

"Do I have to pay anything at the border?"

Depends which border. You may have to pay for a visa on arrival to that country.

"I'm guessing I can just use one of those border run mini van services?"

Yes.

Read more about the double entry tourist visa. Make sure you understand that:

- it can be used to enter Thailand twice, between the date it is issued and the date three months later when it expires.

- each entry will be for 60 days, which you can extend locally for another 30 days for 1900 baht.

- you won't get a full 6 months, because at the very least you will lose the time between issuance of the visa and your first arrival in Thailand.

If you enjoy your time here and want to stay longer you will need to make an overnight trip, preferably to Vientiane, and get a new double entry tourist visa from the Thai Consulate there.

If you apply for a double entry in your home country, the period to use a double entry visa will be most likely 6 months. The 3 month valid double entry visa's are only issued locally in the neighboring countries.

"If you apply for a double entry in your home country, the period to
use a double entry visa will be most likely 6 months. The 3 month valid
double entry visa's are only issued locally in the neighboring
countries."

You're right, and in the best case he might even get a triple with a 9 month validity.

Six months is longest validity period available for a tourist visa.

That does not mean you can't remain in the country after the six months. With a 3 entry you do extensions of the first two entries and then use the 3rd entry just before the visa expires (enter before date) and then do another 30 day extension which gives almost 9 months without needing a new visa.

Edited by ubonjoe

I think I might be more confused than I was before. Some people are saying get the double and some saying not to as I won't get the full 6 months....why wouldn't I?

Isn't double entry 60 + 30 days on first entry then 60 + 30 days on second entry??

I'm currently waiting on my new passport from passport office, when it arrives I will send to embassy for the visa, as soon as it's back I plan to book flights for a few days later. So will be in Thailand quite quickly after visa is issued if that makes any difference.

Edited by TheSpade

If you are going to use one of the mini bus services, make sure you have good insurance as they are "bloody dangerous". The drivers drive like idiots, overtaking on blind bends and hill tops, racing other mini busse's, and i doubt if many of them have licence's or have had any training...............anyway, you will quickly learn all this.

If i told my dog i was travelling on a bus, he would bite me ! thumbsup.gif

Edited by oldsailor35

with air asia go to udon thani, then take bus to ventiane. the next day.

or

with air asia, go to nakhon phanom, stay a night in sp hotel 0425135004 which is downtown. next day take bus near mekong at 6am and go to mukdahan 2 hours away. from mukdahan take bus to savannaket, from custom in lao get tuk tuk go to thai embassy. if you are fast at the custom you can leave nakhon at 7am instead of 6 am...but risky as you need to be before 11am at the thai embassy.

whatever you choose, it s easy and cheap, you are on your own, and you will enjoy trip and hotels... no need to go with these companies who will certainly try to kill you at 150km/h.

with air asia, go to nakhon phanom, stay a night in sp hotel 0425135004 which is downtown. next day take bus near mekong at 6am and go to mukdahan 2 hours away. from mukdahan take bus to savannaket, from custom in lao get tuk tuk go to thai embassy. if you are fast at the custom you can leave nakhon at 7am instead of 6 am...but risky as you need to be before 11am at the thai embassy.

Sounds like a lot more hassle than sitting on a bus and being drove the border by a company who deals with it all.

I think I might be more confused than I was before. Some people are saying get the double and some saying not to as I won't get the full 6 months....why wouldn't I?

Isn't double entry 60 + 30 days on first entry then 60 + 30 days on second entry??

I'm currently waiting on my new passport from passport office, when it arrives I will send to embassy for the visa, as soon as it's back I plan to book flights for a few days later. So will be in Thailand quite quickly after visa is issued if that makes any difference.

The "X" factor is the validity period of the visa and when you enter during that time. Most tourist visas will only have a three month validity (from time of issue) so all entries must be made within that time frame. So you may not have time to complet 60+30 before you need to make your second 60 day entry.

The 90 day validity only applies to single entry visas at most embassies and consulates.

Most visas with 2 or 3 entries are valid for 6 months.

The embassy and consulate in Laos only issue 2 entries with 90 day validity.

The embassy does not accept mail in applications. Apply by mail to one of the honorary consulates (IE: Hull or Birmingham).

Unless you got your visa and entered Thailand on the same day you would not get the full 180 days.

Plus it is advisable not wait until the last day of your permit to stay date to make a border crossing. Best to plan on the day before as a just in case measure.

Get a 2 entry which would give you almost 180 days from date of entry. A 3 entry was suggested as an insurance measure in case you wanted to stay longer than planned.

Sounds like a lot more hassle than sitting on a bus and being drove the border by a company who deals with it all.

not at all because you still need to present yourself at the immigration. you need to fill your visa form, get picture, book hotel...

the company may drive you to border but after this point they will deal with another company. most use mini bus and drive very fast.

many farangs are killed every year with minibus. .

at the end you spend much more money than if you prepare the trip yourself. the fist time you will have to ask i agree,but it s easy , but second time you know exactly where to go, what hotel to stay, what bus to take,...

i can make a pattaya, Nakhon, savannaket, return in 4 days with no much stress, with double entry visa for less than 7000 bats visa included.

flight 1500bats discount if you book 3 weeks in advance

bus 1000 bats bus plus tuk tuk to embassy.

hotel 3 nights 1500 bats(2 night nakhon, one night in lao)

visa 2000 for 2 entries tv.

visa lao 1000

a company will ask you 10000 bats no visa included. so total 13000 or more. and i take the plane, a nice airbus with nice lolita as attendant. , not a freaking 7 hours drive at 7 am with a drunk driver full of yaba trying to kill me.

Edited by Cheapcharly

Everyone seems to be giving different advice.

not at all because you still need to present yourself at the immigration. you need to fill your visa form, get picture, book hotel...

the company may drive you to border but after this point they will deal with another company. most use mini bus and drive very fast.
many farangs are killed every year with minibus. .

If I have a double entry visa why would I need to book a hotel? I thought double entry allowed me to cross the border and come back into Thailand again on the same day?

What would be the point in a double or triple entry if you still had to go through all that process to come back in again?

Now I'm seriously confused.

Apply by mail to one of the honorary consulates (IE: Hull or Birmingham).

Yeah that was the plan, thanks.

Get a 2 entry which would give you almost 180 days from date of entry. A 3 entry was suggested as an insurance measure in case you wanted to stay longer than planned.

Then surely a triple entry is best just in case I want to stay for longer.

No need to make it complicated, you asked about a stay for 5-6 months, a double entry Tourist Visa should accomplish that. If you think it's possible you may want to stay longer, or visit other countries, then apply for the triple entry. Just be sure to make final entry while the visa is valid.

As to hotel stay, etc. that is if you were going to apply for a visa at a neighboring country, you will not need to do that if you already have the visa.

Edited by beechguy

if u have visa and need to get out.

you cross border, get stamp in, make 3 meter around the office cabin, and present your passport again for the stamp out.... should take 30 seconds... and u come back to Thailand.

see how ridiculous it is... I did that in vientane, savanaket, Birmanie, and nakhon phanom

if u have visa and need to get out.

you cross border, get stamp in, make 3 meter around the office cabin, and present your passport again for the stamp out.... should take 30 seconds... and u come back to Thailand.

see how ridiculous it is... I did that in vientane, savanaket, Birmanie, and nakhon phanom

In what situation would that be needed?

Right triple entry it is just in case I plan to stay longer. There's not usually any difficult getting a triple entry visa from these UK consulates (Hull & Birmingham) as far as anyone knows?

Hull is super fast - got it back in like 2 days max.

Don't forget to include a tenner for the return postage. (they will explain)

If you have secured yourself the Tourist Visa this is the procedure you have to follow after you get of the plane

Step 1) - In the plane you will get a Arrival / Departure Card.

(important) On the arrival Card portion fill the part for the Visa No in with the number that is on your Visa

- After landing, head over to the immigration and hand over your passport and the Arrival/Departure Card

- The immigration officer will stamp (if correct) you in for 60 days (it is actually 59 days (with day of arriving counting as Day 1)

and he will mark your visa with the number 1 (first entry) and the date.

(Before leaving immigration Check, Check, Double Check the stamp he gave you in your passport.

(If the stamp is wrong It's easy to correct there and then but a hassle when you have left the airport)

- Enjoy your stay in Thailand, you now have around 59 days to enjoy yourself.

Step 2) - Before these 59 days are over you have to find out where the nearest immigration office is.

a couple of days before the date which is stamped in your passport go to immigration,

get a TM7 doc (available at the Desk) fill it in, stick a passport photo on it and hand it over together with 1900 THB.

The will give you another 30 days in the LOS.

Step 3) Before these 30 days are over, you have to make up your mind what to do, want to stay in Thailand or travel to another country.

If want to stay in Thailand, you have to find a Visa Run Company (you also can do it yourself but a Visa Run is just easy and comfie)

This visa run company will take you to a neighboring country, get you stamped out of Thailand, stamped in the other country, stamped out of the other Country, and get you stamped in Thailand again with a new 60 Day entry. (Again check the stamp which was given by the immigration officer). If you only had a 2x entry Tourist Visa, the officer will stamp "USED" on the Visa. Don't be alarmed when he does this !! This Visa Run company will charge you around 2000 THB (and how long it takes will depend on where you are. For example a Visa Run from Pattaya leaves around 6am and your back home around 3pm)

After this you have another 59 days to enjoy. From here you have to do Step 2 again, and if you have a 3x Entry Visa also Step 3 again.

Just be careful and look at the "Enter Before" date on the Visa. That date means that you have to use the last entry of your visa before THAT DATE.

I hope this helps a bit !!

wai.gif

Good info - I am in Bangkok and will need to do this in about a month.

Any idea which are best / fastest / cheapest / safest / most comfortable ones from BKK?

Also, can this all be done within one day from BKK?

I have heard stories of scams once you get to the border - people posing as immigration and taking the passports and charging 3 times the normal price to get the stamps etc.

Or someone at the border basicaly saying, "pay me, or you don't cross" (I think this was Cambodia)

Know which is the most hassle free border? I guess Cambodia is closest from BKK right?

Thanks.