Road Rage Australian Hurls A Large Stone At Pattaya Taxi

Rimmer

Australian “settles” following stoning of Pattaya Taxi

taxi-2.jpg
PATTAYA:--An Australian National was arrested early on Sunday Morning following a bizarre incident which occurred at the Central Pattaya Traffic Lights on Pattaya Second Road where it intersects with the Central Pattaya Road.

The incident involved a Pattaya Meter Taxi driven by Khun Chaliaw aged 45, who was on his way home, when he slowed at the Traffic Lights and drove-up beside the Australian, Mr. Vincent Van Mil aged 45. Mr. Van Mil is accused of raising his middle finger and directing the insult towards the Taxi Driver.

Khun Chaliaw was incensed and offered some choice words to Mr. Van Mil before parking his Taxi. He claims that Mr. Van Mil then approached the Taxi armed with a large stone which was thrown through the rear driver-side window.

Passers-by assisted the driver and detained Mr. Van Mil pending the arrival of Police who took both parties to Pattaya Police Station.

Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/90440/australian-settles-stoning-pattaya-taxi/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-06-09

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No excuse for this sort of behaviour at all - even without knowing the full story, this is not acceptable at all. The Australian was in the wrong and to try to damage someone's car like this is not on.

20.000 baht?

10.000 for the police

10.000 for the driver

Both of them smiling

Scratch a Jet Ski and you are looking at between 30 & 40K throw a rock thru the window of car and only 20K yes he got off pretty lightly. Very lucky he wasn't charged with Criminal Damage, Interfering with motor vehicle and assault.

• Like 1

It does seem an odd reaction from the Oz tourist. I doubt that the report contains all the information and seems very one sided. Maybe a previous incident(s) with this taxi driver or others. He may simply be a crazed tourist.

But hurling a rock through the window of the taxi is a no-no in any country. He is lucky that those restraining him did not give him a good kicking while waiting for the police to arrive.

• Like 2

It does seem an odd reaction from the Oz tourist. I doubt that the report contains all the information and seems very one sided. Maybe a previous incident(s) with this taxi driver or others. He may simply be a crazed tourist.

But hurling a rock through the window of the taxi is a no-no in any country. He is lucky that those restraining him did not give him a good kicking while waiting for the police to arrive.

I would be interest to know how he injured his right knee. Was it as a result of being restrained or was it part of the lead up to the rock?

I'm forever staggered the way law is administered in Thailand.

Check photo 5 in the Pattaya One news clip.

Following a heated and violent confrontation on the street between the victim and offender, here are the two of them up close and personal at the cop shop, 'negotiating a settlement'.

Excellent chance for emotions to be tipped over the edge again. I suppose that would just up the ante for the amount of compensation.

• Like 1

Australian Tourist Goes Mad After Drinking Too Much

An Australian tourist was reported to have smashed a taxi window with a brick after he had consumed too much alcohol.

PATTAYA – June 9, 2013 [PDN]; At 02.00 AM, Police Lt. Colono Weerawut Meelai of Pattaya City police station was informed that a tourist acted madly by smashing a taxi’s window with a brick. Police rushed to the incident in hopes to calm the tourist down.

At the scene, Police saw taxi that had it’s windows smashed up, a brick that was believed to be the object that tourist used to smash the window was found next to the car. The driver of the damaged taxi told the police that as he was driving his taxi back to his residence, a tourist approached his car, he then opened a window asking what he wanted, but soon after he opened his window down, the tourist then grabbed the driver’s arm.

Full story:http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/06/09/australian-tourist-goes-mad-after-drinking-too-much/

--PATTAYA DAILY NEWS 2013-06-10

not all that long after I arrived here to stay we were driving in the centre lane and there was a car on the inside lane(3 lanes each way) driving very eratically, as we passed him he swerved over towads us and almost took out the side of the car, the idiot was talking on his mobile phone. I rolled down the window and flipped the bird and told him to watch what he was doing and we kept driving. A bit further up the road we pulled up at a set of light and this idiot pulled up beside us and wanted to have a go at me so I went to oblige but my wife went ballistic and took off with this idiot chasing us.Have to admit she is a pretty good driver when she wants to be and lost him pretty quick then explained to me that there are a lot of locals that loose face if you tell them off and they get you to get out of the car then either shoot you or stab you. She also said the here flipping the bird means get f...ed not up yours/sit on it as it does in Australia. Doesnt stop me from flipping it occasionally but only when the idots deserve it, dont throw rocks though, that is just a bit overboard but understandable with some of the thai drivers.

• Like 2

But it goes both ways.

I'm south bound on Soi Buakao but see I can't make a right hand turn (understandable, that intersection creates a lot of traffic jams.) I turn left at Pattaya Tai, then do a U turn at the entrance of Friendship to contine west on Pattaya Tai. A Thai girl is driving up (east) on Pattaya Tai, wrong side of the road, so I stop and yield the right of way into Friendship. She stops and verbally abuses me before riding off to the Friendship parking lot to enter Pattaya Tai again, almost hitting me in the process. Truth be told we were both in the wrong, but that didn't stop her from screaming insults at me. I just stared at her and didn't respond.

At the end of the day, the locals and we westerners really don't get along that well. Sure, superficially we get by but that thin veener of civility is paper thin and easily abrogated.

Just the way it is smile.png

"At the end of the day, the locals and we westerners really don't get along that well."

Yes, because in Thailand all westerners love each other and Thais never disagree with one another. Moreover, back in our home countries drivers blow kisses at one another and often demonstrate their appreciation for one another's driving skills, ever mindful of their shared western values.

It always amazes me how people assume daily life in Thailand is so different from back in Happy Farang Land and how these alleged differences are always attributable to the some racial divide. Two individuals can never have some disagreement, it has to be a dispute between "all of us" and "all of them."

Whenever my Thai friend is driving us around Pattaya he makes frequent disparaging comments about other drivers, more often the other drivers are Thai rather than farang. His ire is directed at their driving, not their race, and it's almost always done with humor (and kept to ourselves).

Naa, we're not all loved, only you.

But I'll pass on you blowing me a kiss :)

There is an excuse for it. He's an imbecile, and shouldn't be out without a bell around his neck to warn the rest of us he's on the streets.

He is not an imbecile, in my opinion. He over reacted to a stimulus that does not fit the description from the known liar (a.k.a. a Thai). You rant suggests that you should avoid the open public.

another quality oz expat whistling.gif

If it was an American or a Brit or a Russian, would you have said the same? What nationalities would have been an exception?

The persistent tendency for TV members to insult entire groups of people on the basis of nationality is truly disappointing.

I guess bigotry isn't confined to any particular national group.

• Like 1

It doesn't matter what the taxi driver may or may not have done. You don't go throwing rocks that are large enough to flatten someone's head. Absolutely ridiculous.

Edited by Rimmer
Fonts